Villa Maly Boutique Hotel
Like saving money? We search up to 200 sites for the lowest prices
Maison Dalabua Hotel(Luang Prabang)
  • Breakfast included
Muang Thong Hotel(Luang Prabang)
L'hotel Souvannaphoum(Luang Prabang)
Satri House(Luang Prabang)
  • Breakfast included
Treasure Hotel Laos(Luang Prabang)
Amantaka(Luang Prabang)
View Hotel
AVANI+ Luang Prabang(Luang Prabang)
View Hotel
All reviewsnight marketlovely pool areafrench ladypool sidelovely hotelbreakfast buffetfrench colonial stylequiet side streetsuperior roomlush gardensclose to townmain buildingwelcome drinkquiet locationan oasisreception areaenjoyed my stay
FilterAll languages
Reviewed August 21, 2013

This hotel is very nice; it's beautiful and the rooms are kept clean. The location is also quite good.

Unfortunately the manager was not very friendly and they did not respond well to our broken AC unit.

This place has a ton of potential but at the moment it is just alright.

Stayed: June 2013, traveled with friends
2  Thank lll-T-R-A-V-E-L-lll
Reviewed August 16, 2013

I stayed in Villa Maly on business trip for three nights. The room I booked was advertised on booking.com as "33sqm size with bath tub". On my relatively late arrival in the evening they put me in room 3, probably the darkest and smallest room on the whole property, with a max. size of 24sqm. I told the local staff that the room is too small, but they claimed that the hotel was fully booked. I later complained with the GM, but she only said sorry, admitting that the information the Villa Maly had provided to booking.com was inaccurate!! She added that I already got a discounted rate (of 92.5 USD, which I did not know as the price on booking.com was not a "special price"), so what was I complaining about? Well, I simply did not get what I booked, a 33sqm room with a bit of space, it is as simple as that. If the hotel was really fully booked, any other GM would have settled this by either giving me a real discount, or at least providing a voucher for my next stay. Nothing like this happened.

On check-out, the Maly was unable to process VISA card payment, and also refused to return / destroy the credit card information they had copied / deposit amount that they had blocked. They claimed that information had only been typed into their computer (In fact, they have all that information from booking.com already!?). My later checking revealed that this statement was incorrect again, as card had been blocked deposit amount (Even though I paid the whole amount in US cash on my leaving). I am staying in many hotels in SE-Asia, but this check-out was a real hassle, taking more than 20 minutes which is clearly sub-standard.

On a better note, some of the other rooms I have seen on checkout-day were much nicer than the one I was given, and generally the premises are nice and well-kept. However given the competition of hotels in Luang Prabang, I also believe that there are a lot of other choices (especially in off-season) so the price level is relatively high in Villa Maly. Breakfast is ok, but relatively limited in choice. Pool looks nice, but is too small to swim. That's why at least on customer service side they should be better than their competitors! For now, I believe it is overpriced.

Room Tip: Make sure they don't put you in the main building, claiming that "hotel is fully booked". Room 3 is not acceptable for what they advertise on most booking-sites.
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed August 7, 2013

My wife and i stayed at this beautiful hotel in the outskirts of Luang Prabang this summer. The hotel is wonderful with nice amenites and good service. It takes about 10-15 minutes to walk to the start of the night market (every night) which is also the start of the city center avenue.

The staff helped us with a delightful river cruise at the Mekong river and a tuk-tuk to the waterfalls outside of the city at ok prices. Clean towels provided every day at rooms and for pool area. quick service when ordering drinks in the bar. Good breakfast for European acustomed travelers.

The only drawback was the bathroom. The light made it difficult for my wife to put on make up and we had a terrible smell from the shower. Prices are rather high compared to similar hotels, but definately worth a night or two discovering the beautiful and laid back Luang Prabang.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 4, 2013

I stayed in for hotels in LP. The locations of this one is very good, classic villa very well restored with very good service. You can even enjoy a typical Lao BBQ and explained how to prepare up your own meal at the pool. Excellent staff, great rooms, great wifi, great for relax. Price is worth to the quality of servicies. LP is enigmatic and relaxing. Great tips to enjoy LP.

Room Tip: I stayed in a room next to the pool, second floor with nice views form window to the garden
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank JESUS S
VillaMaly, General Manager at Villa Maly Boutique Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded August 22, 2013

Dear Jesus S,
Sunny greetings from Luang Prabang...
I hope that we will have the chance to welcome you again in the future and in the meantime i wish you a nice day.
Warm regards,
A. de Boynes
Apple Tree Hospitality Laos: Villa Maly, Kamu Lodge, Nava Mekong

Reviewed July 31, 2013

We were recommended this hotel by some friends in the industry among some others and looking at the reviews we decided to stay here. All in all we were very happy with everything in the hotel. The team is great and always ready to help, the spa (where we had a massage daily) was also very good, clean and great value for money.

Breakfast was good (we had a set menu one day and a buffet on another) both were good, wholesome and well prepared. We spent a full day at the resort near the pool and it was very relaxing, a feel that you get throughout this little property. The bar staff are great and do make some good cocktails (you have to try the Lao Lao one)

I would skip the dinner cruise as it was just ok and you get more value for money in the many dining venues around Luang Prabang (Lao Lao Garden and Tamarind courts are a must goto!)

A big note of thanks to Fabrice, a very helpful person to have around the hotel. A definite recommendation for anyone planning to visit LP.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
VillaMaly, General Manager at Villa Maly Boutique Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded August 1, 2013

Dear vrtxs,
Sunny greetings from Luang Prabang...
I would like to personally thank you very much for your kind comments about your stay with us at Villa Maly. As you know we are always seeking for our guests' feedback in order to improve ourselves. I am delighted to read that you did enjoy staying with us. I will definitely convey your regards to Fabrice.
Warm regards,