“Beautiful boutique hotel, great staff and service” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Villa Maly

Villa Maly
Ranked #12 of 70 Hotels in Luang Prabang
Hobart
“Beautiful boutique hotel, great staff and service”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 21, 2013 via mobile

We have just returned from a six night stay travelling as a family of 5 over 3 Generations. We arrived looking disheveled after a 2 day cruise down the Mekong river and were very impressed with the entrance and welcoming reception. We were actually a little worried that with 3 kids with us that this boutique hotel may me too "grand" for us. Well it was lovely and grand, but we felt very comfortable, relaxed and welcome throughout our stay. We asked for 3 rooms which where'll located at the rear of he complete - nice and quiet apart from one night of music till 11pm from the local homes across the road.

We loved the pool, pool side service, breakfast buffet, rooms with the full turn down service, laundry service, front desk staff and the management team who were always accessible and easy to talk to.
Within an easy stroll to the restaurants, night market and alms ceremony and the riverside restaurants. Bike hire available 50m up the road for a very low price.

We could not fault this hotel . Very clean, well maintained, excellent service and staff. Booked through agoda at a very good rate. Good air con, good room amenities but bathrooms a little cramped. We thoroughly recommend

Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank LizWHobart

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (100)
  • Finnish first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Melbourne, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 20, 2013

Recently my wife and I stayed at Villa Maly over four nights and had an excellent stay at this unique boutique and lovely tropical setting hotel! Conveniently located only a short work to all the city sights and night market. Terrific rooms and court yard pool. Full marks to Axel and Fabrice in making our stay in Luang Prabang a very special one - they organised all our tours (elephants, water falls, etc), pool side Laos Baci and airport transfers. We highly recommend it and we will be back!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank CBB_57
VillaMaly, General Manager at Villa Maly, responded to this review, July 23, 2013
Dear CBB_57,
Sunny greetings from Luang Prabang...
I would like to personally thank you very much for sharing your experience of Villa Maly with us. It is of course always a pleasure to read that our guests enjoy their stay with us. I will definitely convey your message to Fabrice and team.
I hope that we will welcome you again in a near future, and in the meantime I wish you a fantastic day.
AppleTree Hospitality Laos: Villa Maly, Kamu Lodge, Nava Mekong
Cardiff, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 17, 2013

Driving down a narrow side street just a stone’s throw away from sleepy Luang Prabang’s town centre the Villa Maly makes a notable first impression.

A short flight of brilliant white steps leads to a small fountain where tangerine and silver carp sought shade from the midday heat.

The staff took my case and led me through a portico entrance to the intimate reception area, formalities quickly over I followed as I was shown to my room. I dislike those hotels that consider three hangers sufficient even for a short stay but the Villa Maly’s spacious wardrobe with a sufficiency of hangers. The room was shady and cool, overlooking the swimming pool and part of the garden, despite that the place was quiet.

My room at the Villa Maly was large with the usual facilities; tea and coffee, minibar, safe and a large flat screen TV with enough channels to keep even the most finicky viewer or child happy. With just forty or so rooms the hotel has a boutique atmosphere where serenity pervades the place a feeling that the guests I spoke too endorsed.

The reception area and pool are connected by a small but well-stocked bar, that is light and airy it perfectly unites the efficiency of the formal operations with the relaxed poolside. It is a great place to enjoy a quite drink before or after dining; it appears that the hotel is so well regarded that I shared a drink or two with at least one off duty tour company executive who enthused about the hotel. This is truly recommendation.

The pool was welcoming and bar service was readily at hand and the pool itself surrounded by shady palms and tropical shrubs that acted as a screen against the poolside villas.

To get to the pavilion-style dining room requires as short walk through the garden the path has been designed to maximise the walk through the greenery. Palm trees, banana plants, bright red heliconia, white jasmine, pink and yellow hibiscus, Plumeria and frangipani make this walk a delight in itself.

From Axle the genial manager I learned a little of the history of the house. Built in 1938 by Prince Khamtan Ounkham, a grandson of the last king of Laos; he happily lived here with the first of his seven wives where they raised four children. They led a happy family life until the early 1960s when the world’s spotlight illuminated Laos; the country was in the front line of western democracies fight against South East Asia’ rise of communism.

The country's fortunes suffered as did those of the royal family, many of whom were incarcerated by the communist regime while others fled to France or were never heard of again. The prince however survived but died in an air crash in 1968, his wife continued to live in the house until 1994 it was then named Villa Vanninda and bought as a private residence.

The happy times (along with the sad) that this house must have seen since the late 1930s contributes to the sense of history and heritage the wraps the Villa Maly in a comfortable and peaceful maternal shawl.

Room Tip: A poolside villa gives direct access to the large swimming pool. Keeping an eye on the kids is easi...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank Suanphlu
VillaMaly, General Manager at Villa Maly, responded to this review, August 1, 2013
Dear Suanphlu,
Sunny greetings from Luang Prabang...
I would like to personally thank you very much for your kind comments about your stay with us at Villa Maly. As you know we are always seeking for our guests' feedback in order to improve ourselves. I am delighted to read that you did enjoy staying with us.
I hope that we will have the chance to welcome you again in the future and in the meantime i wish you a nice day.
Perth, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 17, 2013

My partner and I spent 4 nights a the Villa Maly and enjoyed the hotel very much, the room was well laid out and clean, the staff came and turned the bed down , closed the blinds every night, we ate in the restaurant one night but out in town every other night, breakfast was included and was pretty good, the hotel is well within walking distance to the centre of the touristy bit, wireless internet is very hit or miss in most of the hotel, they tell you this upfront. We organised a couple of trips, one to the waterfalls and one on a cruise, we organised this through the front desk and it all went smoothly and no need to haggle with the taxi drivers

Room Tip: Don't pick room 18, it has the water tanks and pumps behind and you can hear them 24/7
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear haggis58,
Singapore, Singapore
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 7, 2013

While villa Maly has certainly a lot of assets to make your stay enjoyable, their price and level of hospitality are not "up to par". We had booked 2 rooms, one for our 3 "grown-up children/young adults" and specifically asked for 3 beds, and one for us. Our room was on top of the reception, nicely decorated but small.For the 2nd room, what a deception to discover a small room for 2 persons only, with a mattress put on the ground. Of course, they could not find another room. Then the worst came in, with cold water and smells from the sewer system. Despite numerous attempts to fix the issues, they failed again and again. We asked for a new room, only to hear their negative answer again....Despite asking us every couple of hours if "everything was fine?", nothing was done to make our stay more pleasant. So we decided to cancel the last 2 nights (suddenly the direction found another room for our kids....), leave the hotel and go to Maison Souvannaphoum (read my review on this excellent hotel): this was much better and a better price/quality. We can understand that there are sometimes problems with maintenance....what we expect if that the hotel will do its utmost to fix them, and that was not even close to that in villa Maly. Too bad!

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
New York City, New York
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 30, 2013

I pulled up to the property and was met with smiles and a very attentive staff. Everywhere I looked there were fresh flowers, tastefully placed furniture and a sense of cleanliness and tranquility. I was given a tour of the property which ended at my room where i was shown around and given an explanation of the amenities on the property. The pool looked so inviting, I quickly changed into my bathing suit and headed to the pool for some relaxation. Within 5 seconds of being at the pool at least 2 staff members checked on me and made me feel very welcome. I never felt like I was being watched or bothered, yet they were there at the exact moment that I needed them. The management must have a good training program for the staff.

The only meal that I ate on the property was breakfast and it was very good Since it was the beginning of the wet season they were serving off a menu rather than the regular buffet, that was fine with me, there were enough options to make anyone happy. The food that I was served was fresh and tasty.

The location was good, it was a short walk to the night market, but they also had a shuttle vehicle that would drop you off anywhere you wanted in town. The shuttle was not running at night so plan accordingly.

Sometimes it is the little details, like a shuttle service, a smile, or an attentive, trained staff that can really make the property.

The one detail that I did not like was the size and layout of the bathroom, I am over 6 feet tall and the WC area of the bathroom was very confining.

The Villa Maly is a great place to stay when you are in Luang Prabang. This was my second trip to Luang Prabang, I wish I would have stayed here the first time too, two thumbs up!! On my last visit I stayed at a property that is rated higher than the Villa Maly, but let me tell you, the staff and management at the other property.could learn a thing or 12 from the Villa Maly. I don't think it proper to bring up the other property's name but I am sure you can find the review that I wrote for them easily.

Enjoy this lovely property.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
VillaMaly, General Manager at Villa Maly, responded to this review, July 3, 2013
Dear ILuvToEatDrinkTravel,
Winnipeg Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 25, 2013

I just spent ten glorious evenings at the Villa Maly. I had a lovely room, spotless clean, quiet with all amenities. Great bed - queen size 4 poster with mosquito netting (although I never saw one all the time I was there!). The staff were extremely thoughtful and helpful. I picked this hotel because it has a pool and fell into the $80-100 a night bracket. There are few of these close to the old city! A friend loaned me her bicycle and I could go anywhere in LP in a few minutes. The lovely security gentleman always took care of my bicycle. The young man at the pool helped with snack choices. I can highly recommend some of the items from the restaurant and in particular the spring rolls and the chicken cashew. There was a variety of choice at the free breakfast. Everything is in US $. While not for the backpacker hoping to make it across Asia cheaply, it is a great choice for solo travelers and families. The pool was refreshing on a hot day - even when it was raining! I plan on staying a month next year.

Room Tip: Rent a bicycle as I do not believe the hotel has any. Get a map and orient yourself to the sites...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled solo
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
VillaMaly, General Manager at Villa Maly, responded to this review, June 25, 2013
Dear ganeshWinnipedCanada,

We thank you very much for your comments on Trip Advisor, and we indeed appreciate that your share your experience. We will get sure that the hotel has bicycle for you when you come back next year, and you know how welcome you will be.

Thank you again and best regards.

F.Lehmann