“What a pleasant surprise!”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of Villa Maly

Villa Maly
Ranked #10 of 69 Hotels in Luang Prabang
New York City, New York
“What a pleasant surprise!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 30, 2013

I pulled up to the property and was met with smiles and a very attentive staff. Everywhere I looked there were fresh flowers, tastefully placed furniture and a sense of cleanliness and tranquility. I was given a tour of the property which ended at my room where i was shown around and given an explanation of the amenities on the property. The pool looked so inviting, I quickly changed into my bathing suit and headed to the pool for some relaxation. Within 5 seconds of being at the pool at least 2 staff members checked on me and made me feel very welcome. I never felt like I was being watched or bothered, yet they were there at the exact moment that I needed them. The management must have a good training program for the staff.

The only meal that I ate on the property was breakfast and it was very good Since it was the beginning of the wet season they were serving off a menu rather than the regular buffet, that was fine with me, there were enough options to make anyone happy. The food that I was served was fresh and tasty.

The location was good, it was a short walk to the night market, but they also had a shuttle vehicle that would drop you off anywhere you wanted in town. The shuttle was not running at night so plan accordingly.

Sometimes it is the little details, like a shuttle service, a smile, or an attentive, trained staff that can really make the property.

The one detail that I did not like was the size and layout of the bathroom, I am over 6 feet tall and the WC area of the bathroom was very confining.

The Villa Maly is a great place to stay when you are in Luang Prabang. This was my second trip to Luang Prabang, I wish I would have stayed here the first time too, two thumbs up!! On my last visit I stayed at a property that is rated higher than the Villa Maly, but let me tell you, the staff and management at the other property.could learn a thing or 12 from the Villa Maly. I don't think it proper to bring up the other property's name but I am sure you can find the review that I wrote for them easily.

Enjoy this lovely property.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
VillaMaly, General Manager at Villa Maly, responded to this review, July 3, 2013
Dear ILuvToEatDrinkTravel,
Sunny greetings from Luang Prabang...
I would like to personally thank you very much for your kind comments about your stay with us at Villa Maly. As you know we are always seeking for our guests' feedback in order to improve ourselves. I am delighted to read that you did enjoy staying with us.
I hope that we will have the chance to welcome you again in the future and in the meantime i wish you a nice day.
Apple Tree Hospitality Laos: Villa Maly, Kamu Lodge, Nava Mekong

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (100)
  • Finnish first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Winnipeg Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 25, 2013

I just spent ten glorious evenings at the Villa Maly. I had a lovely room, spotless clean, quiet with all amenities. Great bed - queen size 4 poster with mosquito netting (although I never saw one all the time I was there!). The staff were extremely thoughtful and helpful. I picked this hotel because it has a pool and fell into the $80-100 a night bracket. There are few of these close to the old city! A friend loaned me her bicycle and I could go anywhere in LP in a few minutes. The lovely security gentleman always took care of my bicycle. The young man at the pool helped with snack choices. I can highly recommend some of the items from the restaurant and in particular the spring rolls and the chicken cashew. There was a variety of choice at the free breakfast. Everything is in US $. While not for the backpacker hoping to make it across Asia cheaply, it is a great choice for solo travelers and families. The pool was refreshing on a hot day - even when it was raining! I plan on staying a month next year.

Room Tip: Rent a bicycle as I do not believe the hotel has any. Get a map and orient yourself to the sites...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled solo
VillaMaly, General Manager at Villa Maly, responded to this review, June 25, 2013
Dear ganeshWinnipedCanada,

We thank you very much for your comments on Trip Advisor, and we indeed appreciate that your share your experience. We will get sure that the hotel has bicycle for you when you come back next year, and you know how welcome you will be.

Thank you again and best regards.

Appletree Hospitality Laos - Villa Maly - Nava Mekong - Kamu Lodge
Kuala Belait, Brunei Darussalam
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 22, 2013

Our stay at the Villa Maly was without a doubt - the best. Service was outstanding. Rooms were wonderful, clean and comfy.
We enjoyed incredible meals at the restaurant and beautifully friendly and helpful staff/management.
The location was great.... only 5 minutes walk to the centre of town and night market, and just 10 minutes to the banks of the Mekong River.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
Dear TTania,
Sunny greetings from Luang Prabang...
Many thanks for sharing with us your experience at Villa Maly. I am very happy to read that you enjoyed your time with us and liked it.
Hoping to welcome you again in the near future, I wish you a very good day.

Apple Tree Hospitality Laos: Villa Maly, Kamu Lodge, Nava Mekong
Sydney, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 21, 2013

We asked fellow travelers about their experiences and drew up a short list of hotels. Luang Prabang is easy to get around and we were able to look at what was on offer in our price range. Villa Maly was our choice and we were not disappointed - it it a great place in a central location, accommodating and helpful staff from room service up, great pool in the middle of the complex. We recommend this place!

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Kath M
VillaMaly, General Manager at Villa Maly, responded to this review, June 29, 2013
Dear Kath M

We thank you for your comments, and are happy to learn you have enjoyed your stay with us.

We look forwards to welcome you in our of our property in the future.

Kind Regards

Appletree Hospitality Laos - Villa Maly - Nava Mekong - Kamu Lodge
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 18, 2013

We arrived in the early morning and they allowed us to check-in early and just while waiting.Staff are friendly and helpful.The room are comfortable and clean.The Villa enviroment is quiet and peaceful althought is nearby to the town center with walking distance.Breakfast is nice and with variety of choices in a great surrounding.The swimming pool is lovely and the pool area is relaxing.They have provided free shuttle service to the town area which is very convenience to the guest.The only thing let us down is we can't enjoy the shower due to the water pressure is low.
Overall, we have a great stayed for two nights and the Villa is a good place for rest & unwind.

Room Tip: Alms giving ceremony is just beside the Villa in the early morning start around 5:45am.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
VillaMaly, General Manager at Villa Maly, responded to this review, June 20, 2013
Dear Wong_Alice,

We thank you for your comment shared on Trip Advisor, and we also would like to thank you for the great recommandation let on our golden book.
We have taken notice of your observations concerning the water pressure and please be ensured that your suggestions have been forwarded to the concerned Manager.

Best Regards

Berlin, Germany
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 15, 2013

We asked for one of the old, original rooms at the Villa Maly, which should have been lovely. But the visit started out all wrong: the shower handle fell off while in the shower.....Not that bad, except that the staff, many of whom tried, could not do anything, although we were told, more than once, that all was well. We finally got a different room. But the staff just don't have competence. Management was not available. remained unseen. The hotel is not big enough to have large groups stay there, but they were there. That meant that usual breakfast items, including croissants, were no longer available even though it was not late when we came down. The setting of the hotel is good, but it is overrated. Certainly not worth the price. Many other lovely small places to stay in Luang Prabang at a much more reasonable rate.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
VillaMaly, General Manager at Villa Maly, responded to this review, June 18, 2013
Dear Sir, we thank you very much for having taken the time to fill a comment after having stayed in Villa Maly, and we are most disappointed to learn that the quality of the service fell far short of our standards, and for that we apologize. The comments and opinions of our guests are of extreme importance to us as it is the primary means of ensuring that our high quality standards remain consistent.
We have effectively had to face a water issue on May 9th as one of the main pump of the property fall out of order during the evening; we then had to provide a new one on the following day. Our staff is indeed not trained for this heavy maintenance as the pump was starting and then stopping after few moments. We needed time to discover this exact problem as the pump was re-starting after maintenance intervention which is not common and requests professional presence.

Please be ensured that this incident is in no way representative of our operational standards or of our hotel’s capabilities.

Our property sometimes receives small groups until 15 rooms, as we are recommended by numerous Tour Operators, We are sorry if the group present during your stay disturbed your tranquillity.
As every hotel, a Duty Manager is available every day from 7.00 am until 10.00 pm, and a resident manager is also leaving at the hotel. We are then very surprise that you could not see one of the Management Team. I will get sure that in the future, our guest are aware about it presence as have not been aware about this presence.

We apologize once again, and remain at your disposal.

Kind Regards

Yarrawonga
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 23, 2013

We were booked here as part of a package so it was a lovely surprise. A glitch as one room needed as a triple wasn't ready, but was fixed in the end. They also had names of our party mixed up (we were a group of nine and luckily all friends!)
Staff helpful, rooms good, although the bathroom was a little lacking in shelf space. Madame assured us that they were to be refurbished soon. Great restaurant & breakfast. Just a short walk to the main street and markets. Air con and a great pool.

Room Tip: Ground floor rooms mostly open onto the pool area.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank 651jen
VillaMaly, General Manager at Villa Maly, responded to this review, May 27, 2013
Dear 651jen,
Sunny greetings from Luamg Prabang...
I would like to thank you very much for your kind message. We are all delighted here to know that you enjoyed your stay with us.
I hope that we will have the chance to welcome you again in the near future.
In the meantime, I wish you a fantastic day.