“Like a paradise”

Le Bel Air Boutique Resort
Ranked #26 of 70 Hotels in Luang Prabang
Reviewed August 5, 2010

We stayed at Le Bel Air resort in June and would absolutely like to recommend this place. The setting is so beautiful and quiet and yet so close to the center, fi you don´t mind walking 20 minutes or taking a bicycle (there are bicycles free to use at the resort). The rooms are very cozy, spacious and spotlessly clean. Everybody who works at the resort is very service minded and friendly. They really seem to take a genuine interest in you and make their best to make everybody feel welcome. I will definitely stay at the Bel Air, when I come back to Luang Prabang.

• Stayed: June 2010, traveled as a couple
1  Thank AsiaFan73

Reviewed August 3, 2010

This was our fourth stay at this fantastic resort. This time (July) my wife and I brought my two daughters from the USA who were in their 50’s and it was their first trip ever outside North America. We were met personally at the airport by the manager, Khun Somnuek, who graciously welcomed us to their resort. When we got to the resort my wife Pongtip was given a very beautiful bouquet of fresh flowers. Our two daughters were overwhelmed by the beauty of the resort and the treatment they were given by the entire staff. Breakfast was a feast and served in a most charming manner. On a Sunday my wife and I were treated to a picnic by Khun Somnuek, along with his wife and young daughter and went out to the Krungsi waterfalls. In spite of the heavy rain we had a fun time and the waterfall was full and a great sight to view. Our daughters took a trip out to ride elephants while we were on the picnic and had a great time in spite of the heavy rains. Also during our visit we took a trip out to a very poor and remote village (Ban Houphan) where we met the villagers, reviewed their water supply situation and gave out paper books, ABC books, pencils, pens, erasers and some other thing to the children and also the adults. They were all very thrilled at having us visit their village but are in dire need of help in many ways but especially in setting up a system to provide for a potable water supply. The last foreigners to visit this village had been over 5 years previous. Our entire stay at the resort was excellent and this was primarily due to the well trained and cheerful staff at the resort and the quality management by Khun Somnuek. My wife and I really enjoy this cozy spot and will certainly be returning soon. I was told that the resort was “sold out” for quite some time so if anyone is thinking of staying here I would recommend that they make reservations as soon as possible. Oh yes, the road from the airport to the hotel has now been paved and thus dust is not a problem anymore.

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled with family
Reviewed July 20, 2010

I stayed with a friend at the Bel Air Resort in Mid June for five nights in a standard room overlooking the beautiful and peaceful garden. We chose this hotel because of its location on the outskirts of Luang Prabang in a green and quiet setting and because it was a relatively small hotel.

It is a nice 15-20 minutes walk across the old bridge into Luang Prabang. If you do not want to walk, you can borrow bikes at the hotel or use the shuttle bus into town. It does not run too often though. A tuk tuk home in the evening will cost only around 1-3 USD. Remember to bargain. Normally we got the price down by 50-70%.

Everything worked at the resort and the entire staff is extremely friendly, helpful and smiling. I was unlucky and got ill due to some water bacteria on the trip to the caves (do not drink the rice wine and liquor at the whisky village - or at least bring your own glass - they use the poluted water from the Mekong river to do the dishes) which the hotel had arranged, and everybody at the hotel seemed very concerned and asked me or my friend about my well-being every day. For a couple of days I was not able to eat anything but well-toasted bread which they brought to my room within minutes.

The location is perfect - it was like living in a botanical garden and there was not a sound to be heard at night. The mosquito nets worked fine and none of us got any mosquito bites. Since Laos is a Malaria area (high risk area I believe) one is very concerned about the mosquitos at all times. We did an elephant trip just the two of us in the jungle with our elephant and its mahoud. Afterwards we were driven up to the Kwang Si waterfalls which can be highly recommended. If the sun is out the turquoise pools resemble something from paradice lost. We were even lucky to encounter a group of Buddist monks up there making a perfect contrast to the turquoise colours in their orange clothes and they did not mind us taking pictures of them. Just always ask for permission in advance.

I highly recommend staying at the Bel Air resort which was absolutely the best hotel I stayed at during our 25 days trip in Singapore, Malaysia, Laos and Vietnam. The rooms are spacious and very clean. The hotel is a true pearl and the very nice manager came by to say hello every morning and seemed genuinely interested in what the guests had to say about the hotel. Like he said that was the best way to improve which we found was the right attitude when running a hotel.

I would definately love to go back.

• Stayed: June 2010, traveled with friends
2  Thank Han0i
Reviewed June 19, 2010

This is a great place to stay, outside the town by the Nam Khan in a beautiful tropical garden. My 'classic' room (=standard room) was attractive, spacious and clean, with a verandah outside overlooking the lovely garden. It is a pleasant 15-20 min walk into town, but there are palces to eat within 10 minutes, and there are free bicycles available, which makes the trip a cinch. I stayed a week so b'fast got a little tedious, could have been more imaginative and included fruit. Ate dinner once, pretty good Lao food at reasonable prices. All in all, this is a great place to stay. I booked through Agoda and consider I got very good value for money

• Stayed: June 2010, traveled solo
Reviewed June 13, 2010

stayed at the resort for 4 nights in a bungalow .the rooms are excellent - large with all facilities and an excellent a/c.Its just a short walk to town over a bridge which my partner - because of a fear of heights - found a bit daunting - but we managed most times!The rooms are set in a quiet,lush area which is well maintained.The staff here are some of the most cheerful and attentive i have come across - typical of laos hospitality.Would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed: June 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed June 3, 2010

This is truly a wonderful small hotel and we definitely recommend this one.

Pro:
Beautiful location at the Nam Khan
Close to airport
Close to the city and its attractions
Intimate feeling as the hotel only has 10+ rooms
Brand new hotel
Spacious rooms appointed with love for detail
Complimentary bicycle rental
Very friendly and helpful staff
Quiet location and very atmospheric landscaping
Computers and Internet available in the garden

Contra:
There could be a little bit more choice in the breakfast buffet (however, breakfast is included in the room rate and it's a small hotel, so it's not really a contra!!)

We absolutely recommend this hidden gem! Should we come back to LP we would certainly stay here!

• Stayed: March 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed May 19, 2010

After escaping from a harrowing first night at another place of lodging in Luang Prabang, we decided to splurge on the Bel Air resort. Certainly there are much cheaper options in town. We can't say enough good things about the place. Beautiful rooms overlooking beautiful gardens and great bathrooms. The staff were beyond attentive - they not only advanced us money when we had trouble using the local ATMs (bring U.S. cash if you can!!) but they helped with many other little things and when we had a little motorbike/bicycle crash, they immediately went to aid the local woman who was hurt (we were not) and visited her in the hospital. Free bikes with actual child seats - the only we saw in Southeast Asia. The location just across the river is the perfect distance from the town center, and once you're oriented, it only takes 5 minutes on a bike to get to the main street. Our only complaint is that the wireless was spotty at times depending on where on the grounds we were...they seemed concerned about it and said they were working on improving it. The breakfast was fantastic, but the rest of the food is not - skip it and eat in town. Also, the live music in the evenings can be a little annoying (although they are lovely performers), so try and get a room further from the restaurant. Since it was the off season, they gave us a price of $40 a night and pitched in a free night since we stayed for a week. Some other reviewers might have said this, but definitely do not stay in the bungalows near the bridge - it's very loud. The regular rooms further from the bridge are perfectly quiet.

• Stayed: April 2010, traveled with family