“Great place outside the center of Luang Prabang”

Le Bel Air Boutique Resort
Ranked #24 of 68 Hotels in Luang Prabang
Reviewed September 9, 2013

Le Bel Air, is from what we could tell in our 2 weeks in Luang Prabang, definitely unique. There are lots of hotels in the center and outskirt of town. There are plenty of homestays. However, what we really loved about Le Bel Air was the spaciousness of the property along the river, coupled with private bungalows. We never saw any accommodation like it in LP.

Jean Paul, a Canadian owner, is probably the most helpful owner we have experienced in our six months of travel in S.E. Asia. Every morning, he is at breakfast, greeting guests, helping them with their day’s plans and giving useful suggestions. We really appreciated that!

Breakfast was one of the better selections we have had in S.E. Asia. I loved the fresh salad every morning in addition to a good selection of Lao and Western food. Service was wonderful – dishes were cleaned away immediately and the staff were very attentive.

Jean Paul very kindly upgraded us to a bungalow – probably because of the unusual length of our stay. We loved that! The bungalows are great, although they are a bit close to each other, but we still felt that we had privacy from our front porch. The butterflies are amazing in Laos and we could sit for long periods of time watching the butterflies. It was very quiet for the most part, except for Sunday, when a restaurant across the river had karaoke going for a good part of the day and it was pretty painful to listen to. However, even then, the music was bearable and we took it in as part of the experience of S.E. Asia.

The bed was comfortable – if you have been traveling in Asia at all, you know that cannot be taken for granted. AND when it was advertised as a King, it really was a King! I don’t like blankets but prefer quilts which we often get in our travels. However, they did bring us an extra blanket which was fine. Some nights were cool enough in August to not use a/c which was great.

We didn’t like the locking systems for the bungalow. The windows were a pain to lock and the door had a key padlock which was at the bottom of the door. That meant getting on our hands and knees to lock and unlock the door which at times was definitely stubborn. We also would have preferred much more comfortable chairs on the front porch as the chairs there are surely instruments of torture after about 2 minutes. Internet was a problem. We visited 3 cities in Laos and everyone had internet challenges. It did create some costly problems for us as we had to make calls back to the US on our Laos cell phone which was very expensive. Jean Paul suggested we go to another internet café across the river but because of the time difference between Laos and the US, the internet café was not open at the times we needed to make calls on Skype. And lastly on the negative, I didn’t like the cancellation policy on booking.com for this accommodation. It was much stricter compared to every other place I have booked and it made me a bit nervous. However, it worked out well as we stayed the 12 nights booked and added 2 more!

The staff was the best trained we had come across to that point – now after a month in Vietnam we have experienced service out of this world – but for Laos, the staff were amazing! They were also the best we had in all of Laos. We also really loved having the free bikes to use as Luang Prabang is perfect for getting around on a bicycle.

The food at the restaurant was for the most part excellent. After having chicken in Thailand, my husband found the chicken a bit tougher than he was accustomed to, and you will quickly discover that prices in Laos are NOT cheap. Everything is on average about 25% more than Thailand and motorbikes are 3 times the price! We were surprised at the prices but compared to most parts of the world, they are still very affordable. The green fish curry at the restaurant was amazing – fish was the best I have had in S.E. Asia. I don’t know how many times I ordered that dish but it was several! We actually loved Lao food – lots of vegetables and very fresh tasting. There are several great restaurants in Luang Prabang and on bike, it is only about 10 – 15 minutes away.

We really enjoyed the feeling of being away from the center of town, yet close enough to enjoy. We would definitely go back to Luang Prabang because it is just such a lovely little town and we would go back for another visit at Le Bel Air.

2  Thank Jan J
LeBelAir R, General Manager at Le Bel Air Boutique Resort, responded to this reviewResponded September 21, 2013

Dear Jan J,

Thank you for your very kind and informative review. It was my pleasure to upgrade you. I try to offer such perks to guests whenever possible. I would like to take a second here to say that I really enjoyed meeting you and having conversations with you. It really was enjoyable. Thank you for staying with us and for sharing with the world your experiences here at Le Bel Air. I am sure they will be helpful to future guests. All the very best to you on your adventures.

Very best regards,

Jean-Paul

There are newer reviews for Le Bel Air Boutique Resort

Reviewed September 7, 2013

The Bel Air in Luang Prabang was the best place we stayed during our 1 month travelling around Laos, Vietnam and Cambodia. The place and the service was - in my opinion - at that of a four star hotel at least. We stayed 4 nights in July 2013.

The service was excellent. The staff were all very nice, almost too nice. At times the staff and the manager could be a bit too focused on being service-minded, which bothered me at times. I think that especially the American tourists (which there seemed to be a lot of) liked that part of it. The hotel offers free airport drop off, and offers guest to use the shuttle bus as they prefer when it is raining. Otherwise the shuttle bus is driving to the city centre (10 min) several times a day.

The rooms were huge and very nice. The place has a nice garden, which we didn't use much though. The breakfast is amazing and you can enjoy it with a view of the Mekong river.

It was worth much more than the ~50 USD we paid per night for a double room (which actually had one double and one single bed and could have fitted 3 people.

Note that the hotel is about 10 minutes from the city centre of Luang Prabang. However the hotel provides bikes free of charge, and we drove the bikes to and from the centre almost every day - which was no problem whatsoever. If it's raining it's, as mentioned above, possible to use the shuttle bus for free.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
LeBelAir R, General Manager at Le Bel Air Boutique Resort, responded to this reviewResponded September 9, 2013

Dear Jacob B,

Thank you for leaving us a very kind and warm review of Le Bel Air. It was very nice to meet you and to serve you. Regarding our service, in the past few months we have been developing our approach to ideal customer service, having experimented with different ways to meet the needs of our guests. I apologize if it came off as a bit too much for you but you happen to be the only person ever to say so. I assure you that since your stay we believe we have found the ideal way to service our guests that is informative and in no way intrusive. Thank you very much for this important piece of feedback. How to deliver customer service in the best possible way is the question that interests all hotels. Your input is greatly appreciated.

We also appreciate you commenting on the value of our rates. Yes we are competitively priced for what we offer and this is easy to see when comparing hotels in Luang Prabang. I encourage all future guests to compare as much as possible before booking their stay. I am confident they will find Le Bel Air within their top 2 or 3 choices. Thank you again for your review. We wish you safe travels and good times where every you go.

Reviewed September 3, 2013

We stayed 3 nights at the Bel Air and were overall impressed by its quality – true value for money (esp. compared to the hotel we had booked in Vientiane).
Location: I had some mixed feelings, after reading the reviews about the bridge and that it was a bit outside town. Yes, it is a bit outside and you need about 10-15 minutes to get to the center. And yes, you need to cross the bridge. However – the location is also beautiful, right on the river… Amazing views. Relaxing atmosphere. And the footbridge isn’t all that bad. By day it’s perfectly fine and by night it’s not that bad. Yes, it’s a bit dark but the bridge seems sturdy. And the one night it was raining and I was afraid it might be too slippery, we simply took the middle path of the bridge, which is for bikes and motorbikes. No one complained and we simply stepped aside when they passed (they’re not driving all that fast). Crossing the bridge is a matter of 2 minutes and it never spoiled our mood. Furthermore, the hotel offers complimentary bicycles and a free shuttle service and also tells you to call them if you are in need of a pick-up. Across the hotel is a mini mart and if that is closed, there is one on the other side of the bridge.
Staff: Check-in and check-out went smoothly. We were greeted by a very friendly Caucasian manager (Mr Jean-Paul, if I’m not mistaken) who made sure to tell us about the shuttle service and the bikes. The reservation Manager Mr Oon was also extremely helpful and friendly, especially in our efforts to communicate with Lao Airlines concerning our luggage. Lao Airlines had delayed sending our suitcases from Vientiane because they had detected suspicious sprays (a hairspray and a Dettol-Spray) and instead of asking us before departure to open the suitcases they waited till we arrived in Luang Prabang to ask us for the keys to the suitcase-lock, send it back to Vientiane etc. Mr Oon and other staff members were very helpful in communicating with Lao Airlines, to ensure the suitcases were delivered to the hotel as well to see whether the sprays could be returned (they could not - unless we returned to Vientiane to pick them up, which we couldn’t). Free airport transfer (and the airport is close by!).
Rooms: Rooms were fine, with a nice balcony offering views of the river (only the chairs are a bit uncomfortable). The bathroom was separated from the main room with glass windows (WC of course had walls – this room could in fact do with some renovations). Basic toiletries (no body lotion); slippers, umbrellas. We had both a tub and a shower cabin. Yes, the counter space is not sufficient in the bathroom, but there was space right next to the bathroom. Rooms were very clean. Socket next to the bed so cell phone can be kept close during night while charging. Maybe the lighting in the bathroom could have been a bit brighter.
Breakfast: We had read quite a lot about how good and rich the breakfast was, but .... it wasn’t really all that amazing. Few options (and not much for vegetarians, at least not marked as such), no cheese. On the other hand, as many have mentioned in other reviews, the coffee was good and the view on the river was lovely.
Overall – a lovely place I honestly recommend. It’s one of these hotels that makes you actually regret going sightseeing instead of staying there and soaking in the atmosphere.

1  Thank Alex J

Dear Alex J,

Thank you for your review. It was a pleasure to meet you and to have you stay with us. I'm happy to hear you enjoyed everything. All the best to you on your adventures and if you are ever in the Luang Prabang area again you will find yourself most welcome with us.

Reviewed August 31, 2013

Charming resort style- wooden interior, brick ceilings.. Basically looks exactly as the photos posted by their management. Love the gym area that faces the river (I'll be sure to try it tomorrow morning!), staff here are genuinely interested in helping you get the best out of your stay- the GM, Jean, was there with a driver for the airport pickup! & all (like i really mean Everyone here in Le Bel Air) is genuiely friendly & helpful! It's gonna be hard for me not to expect the same when level of service when I get to neighboring cities!

The rooms: beds are comfy. Pillows are nicely firm. blankets are a little thin but you dont really need them in this part of thr world. theres a nice rustic wardrobe, umbrellas for your use, bathrobes and bedroom slippers- & a really old school padlock for the door (I love it!). In my room, The A/c blows directly at the double bed & can get a little too cold so I'll recommend using the ceiling fan (summer here isn't as unbearablely humid). But do Keep the citronella oil burning or the mosquito repellents right by every corner of your bed.- part of being in a close to nature environment means you can't really avoid the mozzies or the house lizards.

Bathrooms are decent & clean with the basic amenities. don't expect the same luxury as a glass clad modern hotel; you wouldn't have picked Laos as a destination if you wanted true blue luxury anyway-. I have to say i actually really liked their shampoo and conditioner. I brought mine but didn't use it since theirs is pretty good!

Breakfast is at their garden river side restaurant just a stairway from my room- view of the river + what looks like local villages across- just the perfect wake me up in the morning!

A note when taking your own transport back at night- make sure you tell the tuk tuk drivers or mini vans that they are to send you to the hotel entrance on "Old Bridge". My almost perfect day was ruined because a tuk tuk driver charged me 30,000K as he said the hotel was out of the city centre- I agreed and then he took me to the other end of the bridge and refused to bring me over. It was 10pm, and I was carrying a huge shopping bag (night market here is fab!) and I had to walk (in darkness!) across the bridge.

It wasn't a long walk. But there's no lights except when a motorcycle zooms pass -right beside you. & the mosquito attacks are really quite nasty. It can be quite nerve wreaking for single females so reminder to ensure you have the drivers send you to the old bridge entrance at night.

Other than that, everything else is as lovely as all the other reviews that made me pick this place.

Stayed: August 2013, traveled solo
2  Thank Carolloo83

Dear Carolloo83,

Thank you for staying with us and thank you for sharing your experiences at Le Bel Air with the world. In fact, I thought I already replied to your review but I guess it didn't go through. I have to say I like your review of the hotel. You have given very useful and accurate information that will certainly help future guests. Regarding the old bridge, although a beautiful feature of the hotel, sometimes it is not perfectly lit at night and we must watch our steps at all times. Otherwise it is a very exhilarating and unique part of the Le Bel Air experience. Thank you again for your review. It was a pleasure to meet you and to serve you. All the best to you on your travels.

Jean-Paul

Reviewed August 25, 2013

Last week we were guests at the Le Bel Air Boutique Hotel in Luang Prabang, Laos for 5 nights.

After reading the reviews I opted this time for a location not at the city-center as usual for me but in this case I was searching for a good place to relax and to do some work from the room especially if it turned out that the weather lived up to its reputation of being the ‘wet season’. The weather turned out to be even better than expected as only two days of the six did we have some significant rain affecting our outings. One of the things that sold me on choosing the Le Bel Air was that they offered bicycles free for the taking. Some of the reviews mentioned how scary the wooden Old Bridge could be but after you do it once, it turns out to be more exhilarating than scary. Day or night, you simply roll into your lane and the motorcycles behind you have to deal with it. Traffic seems a little crazy at first but then you figure it out and it turns out that drivers are pretty polite and tolerant of all the tourist doing their crazy stuff around their streets.

The cabin we stayed in was perfect. Beautiful and smooth wooden floors. A nice porch when you could sit even when raining to enjoy the gardens and the increasing view of the Klan river (more on that below). The room are very private even though they have windows pretty much on all sides. Bathroom was clean and designed for practicality. My wife complaint of not having enough counter space to spread her stuff out, but get real, when do women have enough space? ☺. Room service was efficient and courteous. They always managed to get in/out to do their thing and were never in the way.

Breakfast was included and in the days that we were there it varied enough to keep it interesting. Some Asia, some Westerner, eggs whichever way you wish, decent baguettes and croissants and some deliciously heavy, home-made yogurt. I only discovered the yogurt after the second day but from there on I’m sure the kitchen staff noticed that someone must have been dipping heavy on it as I just couldn’t stop myself once I got started on it.

If the bicycles drew me in, what sealed the deal was the General Manager, Mr. Jean Paul. Jean Paul really brought the experience to another level as he would graciously visit all guests’ tables during breakfast and answer any and all questions you had about just about any topic. We simply said what we wanted to do that day and J-P would flip a map and offered his suggestions on a couple of alternatives to doing what we wanted to do. For example, we said we wanted to climb the mount at the center of town, he said, well, there are two common paths that most people usually take, but I have an additional suggestion that would make your experience even more fulfilling. From there he went on providing details of things we should look for on the way and how to maximize our experience. And you know, he turned out to be right 100% of the times. True for food (restaurants), temples, massage parlor, hikes, bike routes, etc. J-P was like a “living TripAdvisor”.

Not only was he good at general travel advice but we even dabbled a little about Asian culture and practices. My wife and I have been traveling in Asia for a few months and one our biggest challenges have been our inability to get deeper into the culture due to our inability to communicate with the locals at any level. A lot of what we’re taking out of our visits is based on what we read and what we see around us. But I wish so much to be able to ask the question and get a straight answer about why this is done this way or that. Well, J-P came to the rescue in that he’s been living in the East for a number of years and as an English speaker he helped us fill in some of the holes in our understanding. And he didn’t do it bragging about how much he knew but simply offering us his understanding of the particular situation. Well, as you can see I could go on about J-P. He did great with the guests and seem to keep a tight ship with the way the staff behaved and served our needs at any opportunity.

As I mentioned above, the “increasing view of the Klan river” is something pretty awful that happened to the property of the Le Bel Air this last week. In anticipation of some heavy rain, the dam upstream from the hotel was releasing a lot of water downstream and was affecting several waterfront properties. And the Le Bel Air took a brunt of the hits by losing several meters of shoreline and losing several big trees and part of their beautiful landscaping. I felt sorry for the resort owners and hope they will figure out a way to prevent further damage from something that was none of their making. The view from their restaurant, while now much better to the other side of the river, was changing every day that we were there. Hope it stabilizes soon so others could continue enjoying this wonderful spot in LP.

If you are looking for something a little quieter, a little more relaxing and not too inconvenient from the city center, I would strongly suggest to put this one in your short list. You will not be disappointed.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
LeBelAir R, General Manager at Le Bel Air Boutique Resort, responded to this reviewResponded August 27, 2013

Dear Orlando I,

Thank you for your great review and thank you for the personal mention. It is very much appreciated. It was really a pleasure to meet you and get to know you. Meeting guests like yourselves and having fun talking everyday is the best part of my job. Everyone at Le Bel Air has read your review and we are so pleased you enjoyed your stay with us. From the housekeeping staff to the restaurant all the way to the gardening staff we would like to express our sincere gratitude to you for sharing your experience at Le Bel Air with the world. We were touched by your review and promise to keep you a home here at Le Bel Air. We wish you the very best of health and happiness and good times on your travels and look forward to having you with us again soon.

Warmest regards,

Jean Paul (GM) and Staff

Reviewed August 25, 2013

We are a couple from Taiwan, the GM Mr. JP is really nice to us. The resort has a good river view, all staff are so friendly and we can relax here for 3days. The hotel is a little far away from the city center, you can rent a free bicycle or take the free shuttle. But shuttle's schedule back to resort is unpredictable and not so often, we recommend bicycle is better.
Overall, stay here is a good experience and it's a good place for relaxation.
飯店的位置就在河岸旁,風景不錯,早餐時作在河畔相當的愜意。員工都很有禮貌親切,是各很適合放鬆休息的地方。唯一比較不方便的就是距離市區有點小遠,可借免費的腳踏車或搭接駁車,但接駁車從市區回來的時間不太固定,建議騎腳踏車會比較方便

Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple

Dear aerosalb,

Thank you for your very nice review and for sharing your experience at Le Bel Air with the world. Thank you also for mentioning me personally. It is very kjnd of you. You are correct to mention the relaxing atmosphere of Le Bel Air. It is one of our most promising features along with our gardens, restaurant and services. Regarding our shuttle service, we state clearly to all our guests that there is only one return time scheduled. If no one wants to leave from the hotel the shuttle will not go to town. However guests may call any time of the day to be picked up from anywhere around town. Thank you again for your very kind review. All the best to you on your travels.

Best regards,

Reviewed August 22, 2013

Le Bel Air is not a luxury hotel, but it is an exceptionally comfortable and welcoming place in a wonderful city. It draws you into the understated charm of Luang Prabang, and is perfectly in its place there.
A string of rooms and bungalows set in a lush tropical garden overlooking the Nam Khan river, it is actually located just outside the town centre. This is not an inconvenience, as it allows you to avoid the noise of the nightlife. And in any event, there is a shuttle service and a fleet of bicycles available free of charge (without doubt the most practical option, the main street is roughly a five-minute ride away).
Manager John-Paul devotes a huge amount of energy to ensuring that hotel guests are happy, offering excellent advice on tours, and making sure that he gets feedback to pass on to tour operators.
The breakfast was good, and the restaurant was also excellent (we ate there on our last night).
Le Bel Air does not have a swimming pool, but it does boast a very pleasant garden overlooking the Nam Khan river (I believe it also has an agreement allowing guests access to the pool at another hotel). It also has a fitness centre in the garden.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with friends

Dear danthrosby75,

Sir, thank you for staying with us, and how very kind of you to leave us such a warm and generous review on Tripadvisor. And thank you for the personal mention. It is much appreciated. It's true as you say, although it is growing, Luang Prabang does maintain its understated charm very well and Le Bel Air Hotel compliments this charm perfectly. Between the garden situated rooms, the ideal location away from traffic, our service, restaurant, bicycles and shuttle service, guests are able to fulfill their needs for relaxation and comfort at the best possible value. We are very pleased you enjoyed your stay with us. Should you every return to the Luang Prabang area in the future you will find yourself most welcome at Le Bel Air. Thank you again.

Very best regards,