All reviewsbutter and jamthe main streetnight marketstaying nightstea and coffeenice breakfastvery nice hotelrooms are largecentral locationwifi
Reviewed March 21, 2010

A very welcoming place in an excellent location. Nice clean good size rooms and very friendly helpful staff...decent value for money.

• Stayed: February 2010, traveled as a couple
1  Thank thetwocvsandoscar
Reviewed March 18, 2010

We thought Villa Saykham was in a very good location in town and our room was very comfortable.
The staff treated us like family and even sent someone out on their motorbike to get me a 'local' breakfast when I asked if it was available.
Our room was C6, far end away from the road and on the 2nd floor, so very quiet and private, no-one walking past.
King sized bed, comfortable, firm but not rock hard.
No fly screens on windows, so can't have the windows open for long.
Shower with curtain and hot water. TV in room and small bar fridge.
We heard the drumming from the temple next door but didn't really bother us although full moon while we were there and drumming at 3am one morning 4am the next. Usually 6am.
Gardener/security man sleeps in the garden.
Alms collecting monks pass by in the morning.
Breakfast was baguette with butter and jam, fruit, juice, eggs - scrambled, fried or omlette. Real Laos coffee, very weak tea.
Only downside - we weren't allowed to take the towels from the accomm to the waterfall.

Would go back in a heartbeat!!

Stayed: February 2010, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Laceytreigh
Reviewed February 22, 2010

Stayed 4 nights in this beautiful "guest house". Rooms, food, staff were excellent and the garden a haven to have breakfast and relax.
Luang Prabang is a world heritage site and a well deserved designation. A french influence to the town with good restaurants and food. A peace decends you.

• Stayed: January 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed January 24, 2010

We initially only book one night at Villa Saykham and finally stayed for 5 nights after having visited many guesthouses in Luang Prabang

Pros:
- Great location: central, next to a little temple. It is located within walking distance to all tourist attractions (handcraft market, restaurants, Phou Si, temples, riverside)
- The building itself and the rooms are very simple but nice
- The room was larger than most other USD 50 range guesthouses we had visited (we had 2 big suitcases and still could walk around the room easily)
- The room has a tiny TV set with many English channels (CNN, HBO, Discovery…)
- Wireless internet in all rooms for free (although quite slow)
- Staff is very nice, but seems to be the case everywhere in LPB

Cons:
- Fridge is very noisy but you can always unplug it
- Lighting: there was hardly any sunlight in the room during the day and the lighting in the room was not strong enough.
- Shower: not much hot water coming out, which was a bit of a problem
- Cleanliness: The rooms seemed clean but my boyfriend still had allergies every night, probably due to dust
- Soundproofing: we had a room (B3) in the first house (the guesthouse is composed of two houses), just next to the breakfast area. The house, just like any house in LPB, has very poor soundproofing so we would wake up with people having breakfast. Try to ask a room in the inside building, it should be quieter

We paid USD50 (high season rate) and though it was a good deal considering the quality of the accommodation.

For something just a little bit more sophisticated, you can have a look at Maison de Xanamkieng (USD60 during jan 10), which is were we stayed at the end of our trip.

• Stayed: January 2010, traveled as a couple
1  Thank GZreviewer
Reviewed January 6, 2010

I arrived in Luang Prabang on the bus from Vang Vieng and figured I'd test my luck at getting a guesthouse just after Christmas. My first night I stayed in a guesthouse with a bakery attached for $40 and wasn't impressed for the $. The next night after my tour I walked from guesthouse to guesthouse and all the attendants informed me they were fully booked. I was about to settle on somewhere that was very sub-par but decided to try this one last place. They had a room available and what a lovely room! I took it on the spot. I loved the French colonial feel. I loved my rooms, the clean bathroom, how well everything was decorated, so homey and comfortable. The owner was so friendly and eager to help. The breakfast every morning was delicious. I kept telling her "this will be my last nite here" but ended up staying 5 nights- totally unexpected but wonderful. Luang Prabang was such a refreshing stop on my travels through SE Asia. I'm a single 20-something and felt really safe and comfortable spending my afternoons at cafes or reading along the river. The night market offered great local treasures and you weren't over-haggled. You aren't at a loss for outdoor activities either. Luang Prabang felt like a lovely "grown up" destination along what sometimes can be a backpacker trek through SE Asia. You can get easily sucked into this city!

Stayed: December 2009, traveled solo