“Backpackers Review of Spicy Laos”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Luang Prabang
Spicylaos Backpackers
London, United Kingdom
“Backpackers Review of Spicy Laos”
Reviewed August 19, 2012

I must say i never write reviews but i simply had to for this hostel, and I promised the family who run this that would. I am doing this because it was by far the best place i stayed in South East Asia . Although it wasn't the most luxurious place i stayed in the world, it was definitely the most friendly place i had been to and really made you feel like I was at home. For 30,000kip a night it is delightfully cheap. They have a lovely balcony which is a great way to meet new people. They have there own tuk tuk where you can book yourself to see the waterfalls, and later found out their price was more than half the price of any other place, this is also the same for any buses booking away from the city. They also put on BBQ's in the evening and you can meet their whole family. Me and a friend were only planning to spend two nights in the city and ended up being there for 5 as we had such a nice time there. If you stay there you must get to know the people that work there, which isnt hard as they are all so friendly from the moment you arrive.

Please do go there, as i really recommend it

• Stayed August 2012, traveled solo

Families
Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (6)
  • Indonesian first
Gainesville, Florida
Reviewed July 26, 2012

The staff here is exceptionally friendly and offers all the amenities: kitchen, laundry, whiskey shots, t.v., hang out area, dinner, breakfast, travel bookings, bus tickets, and whatever you want. The rooms are typical hostels; we slept in a room with 3 bunk beds and 1 shared bathroom. All clean. Great staff! The best part: I spent my birthday at this hostel in Laos and they threw me a surprise birthday BBQ complete with a cake!! Like I said...great service, good rooms. A friendly place :)

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed July 26, 2012

Best backpackerplace in Luang Prabang to meet people. Atmosphere is really good, every couple of days the staff organises a bbq and a party with free wiskey for everyone. Although its not the most hygienic place to stay, i found the house a really good place to chill out during the rainy days.

More importantly, i had a very bad encounter with one of their staff members at night. The next day, the manager fired him immediately and went to the police for me. The rest of the day the remainders of the staff took really good care of me. I was too sick to even walk up to my room, so they let me sleep in their living room and got me medicine. I couldnt be more grateful to them. Really amazing people.

• Stayed July 2012
Reviewed June 12, 2012

We arrived in Luang Prabang from Hanoi and went straight to Spicylaos backpackers, we had heard it wasn't the best but had a good atmosphere so decided to give it a go. At $3 a night we were not going to complain. How wrong we were.
The staff were friendly, helpful and all too willing to share their snake whisky, also the lady that does the laundry was an angel. God knows what she used to clean our clothes, but what ever it was made them look, smell and feel amazing however thats about as good as it got. The beds were ancient and uncomfortable with the showers being no better. It was clear that this used to be an amazing place to stay but unfortunately the years have caught up with it and compared to what we got for $3 in Vietnam it was amazing they charged what they did.
In saying that we met loads of amazing people most of who we are still in contact with an if it wasn't for staying at Spicylaos Luang Prabang would not have been as fun as it was.

All in all a terrible place to stay, but the people we met made it worth while.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple

Travelers are raving about these Luang Prabang hotels

Calgary, Canada
Reviewed May 16, 2012

Stayed here one night in 2011. Bunch of us found red ants in the bed. When we told the staff they came into the room, laughed, and sprayed RAID all over the sheets. I think that might be a health violation. On the plus, very cheap, laundry was good and also very cheap, ping pong, smoothies and subs and a short walk into town.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled with friends
Reviewed May 8, 2012

Don't stay here if you like your creature comforts or are a princess.

Bottom line: it's cheap. There are no doors, no air con and the mattresses are futon style. But it's family run, super cheap, has free wifi, the showers are hot and the beers are cold. Plus it's only $4 a night. There is often events on such as bbqs and they'll organize transport and tours for you too.

Plus, the people that stay here are a chilled bunch, willing to have a good time and stretch their dollar further. I had a blast staying here. You just need to be open minded. Free snake whiskey helps too!

• Stayed May 2012
Reviewed April 10, 2012

If you're looking for the Ritz, stay elsewhere.

If you're looking for the Ritz for $4 a night, you're not going to get it sorry princesses.

However, if you're looking for an awesome little backpackers, you really cannot go past this place when staying in Luang Prabang. I stayed here for 3 nights - the beds were reasonably comfy, there's no curfew and I met some of the best people here; a group of 15 of us ended up all heading down to Vang Vieng together from here. When backpacking it's all about meeting like-minded people, and while there's always going to be the occasional trustafarian, I am SO glad I ignored the negative feedback and still booked here.

Price is $4 a night, I slept quite well, cleanliness is pretty stock standard, there's warm showers - I can definitely say I've stayed at far FAR worse.

Room Tip: I stayed in Room D - it's on the ground floor around the back, no one really knows it's ther...