“One of the best guest houses in LP”

La Maison de Xanamkieng
Ranked #48 of 69 Hotels in Luang Prabang
London, United Kingdom
“One of the best guest houses in LP”
Reviewed March 5, 2010

I was looking for somewhere to stay when I walked past the guesthouse. As the entrance seemed so inviting and modern, I decided to try my luck and hope it wasn't beyond my budget. It was slightly, but the friendly staff agreed to a deal and reduced my rate a little and it was worth every penny.

The guesthouse is beautifully designed with modern, chic furniture and polished stone and wooden floors. As the hotel operates a no shoe policy, it is kept very clean. The rooms are spacious with large comfy beds, nice bedding and decent furniture to put your things. They even supply you with slippers and bathrobes. The bathroom is modern and the shower is one of the funky huge rainfall ones, but the downside of it was that the hot water didn't seem to last very long during a shower - probably get 10 mins tops of a hot wash. Additionally, the windows of the rooms didn't have much of a view (some of them are facing a brick wall) which I guess is why they can't charge the premium price I believe this place could be worth.

The staff were all friendly, run mainly by young men with the exception of the house cleaner who was a lovely cheerful lady.

The location of the house is right in the middle of Luang Prabang - you step out and you are almost right in the middle of the main shopping strip. Due to the size of the town, you can pretty much walk everywhere within 10 to 15 mins. But as it is situated around 10 metres from the main road, it is a lot quieter (bar the cockerel in the early morning!)

There was also free wi-fi, but it wasn't very quick and it seems to fall down on occasional days. But that's seems to be the norm in Laos.

A real gem of a place and if I ever return, I will be staying there.

• Stayed February 2010, traveled solo

Business
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed February 16, 2010

We discovered this guesthouse after spending the night in a another guesthouse down the road. This was far superior . The rooms were spotless, spacious and modern. It is located just around the corner from the main street and is walking distance to everything It is quiet, although a rooster did wake us every morning. But that is one of the pleasures of being in Luang Prabang. The morning monk walk is at the corner, quite convenient for you to pop out the door at 6am without having to walk very far. The bed was comfortable and the bathroom was spacious. The small lobby has a nice little area to sit and relax. The staff is willing to please and is very polite. Breakfast is served outside on a small patio. The menu selection has a typical menu and is sufficient.

I would highly recommend staying at this wonderful little guesthouse!

• Stayed December 2009, traveled with friends
seattle wa
Reviewed January 19, 2010

Stayed 3 nights with my family (2 rooms). Best location, quite but central to all attractions, restaurants and Monk procession. Very clean roons, comfortable with TV, fridge, laundry service and more... Staff are friendly and helpful too. Great place to stay.

• Stayed December 2009, traveled with family
Benicia, California
Reviewed November 1, 2009

My wifeand I recently stayed at the La Maison de Xanamkieng for 3 days. This hotel provides excellent value for the rate it charges. Everything was quite comfortable, the staff very friendly, and it is ideally located in Luang Prabang-- it is a short walk to virutally all of the sights and sounds in town.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled as a couple
1 Thank irawine
Newport Beach, California
Reviewed May 5, 2008

MY TRAVEL STYLE: I hate business hotels and strongly prefer resorts that resemble the Four Seasons, Aman, and Oberoi but try to find similar properties at lower cost. I seek out the “wow” experiences and I encourage you to view hotels I have stayed at and their respective reviews (by clicking on my name).

LOCATION: Perfect. Not in the absolute exact center of LP, but in the area that has the majority of cafes. Everything is walking distance. No view of Mekong at this hotel, though. Half a block off the main street so there is less traffic and more quiet.

BEST WAY TO GET THERE: Taxi from LP airport was around US$5-7, I don’t remember the exact amount but it is a fixed price at the airport.

TYPE OF ROOM: Upstairs & Downstairs (2 different rooms).

BED/SHEETS/PILLOW: Bed is comfortable if a bit on the hard side. Pillows are thin and comfortable. Linens are of average quality, not luxurious.

LIGHTING: Excellent lighting in bedroom and bathroom. Natural light in the lower room was close to nonexistent since a tall wall was a few feet from the window. Upper room had great natural light.

BATHROOM/SHOWER: Our downstairs room (room #1) had a larger bathroom than the upstairs room (#7). Bathroom is by far the best of ALL of the guest houses we looked at (and we checked out at least 10 guest houses that looked decent from the outside). Other guest houses’ bathrooms were terrible when compared to this one (hotels have nice bathrooms too). Shower water pressure was excellent and temperature could be made consistently hot if desired.

TOILETRIES: Average. If your pick, probably best to bring your own.

CLEANLINESS: Spotless. Room and hotel common area is exceptionally clean.

A/C: The a/c in room #1 didn’t get cold so we switched to room 7 and it quickly and quietly got our room cold.

CLOSET SPACE: Room #1 didn’t have a closet. First place we stayed where we didn’t have a place to put our clothes. Room #7 has a closet, but one of the tiniest I have ever seen. Good for a few shirts and pants only.

STYLE OF ROOM: By far the nicest of all of the guest houses (some hotels are equal or better at a much higher price) in town. Contemporary design with the nicest wood floors I have seen in any luxury hotel.

QUIET/MORNING LIGHT: Room is quiet with the occasional loud car coming by. There is some construction next door but we only heard it once during our 10 day stay at this hotel. There is also a small amount of construction at the hotel so you may want to confirm that it’s complete if it’s a concern to you. The morning light could mostly be blocked using the wood shutters. Could be darker but it’s fine. Seems like curtains are on the way since there are curtain rods with no curtains.

FOOD: Since hotel is new there are no tables yet to eat breakfast and therefore no breakfast. I think they plan to offer breakfast once the tables arrive.

TV/INTERNET: TV could be a bit bigger for the room, but is sufficient. There are about 5 English channels with a few movie stations in English as well (same as in all 3 hotels we stayed at in LP). Currently there is no internet but they said there will be internet provided within a week.

SERVICE: The staff are very nice, but I wouldn’t suggest using them to plan your trip. Not a problem since there are travel agents and tour operators everywhere in town. This guest house has 7 rooms and even though it’s small, when walking in, some of the staff may not even acknowledge you. There is, however, one young man that is extremely nice and helpful but the rest seem could use a bit of hospitality training.

COMMON AREA: There is a small common area in the front with a few nice couches which are most often used by the staff. Not a big deal since it’s nice to look at but not a place most people would choose to spend their time. Especially given all of the great cafes nearby.

ROOM & CITY TIPS: We were in LP for 14 nights and highly recommend Saffron for the best coffee and breakfast in town. Blue House has the best homemade ice cream and by far the best atmosphere (in it’s back patio area). Tatmor Restaurant has excellent food, ambiance, and is ridiculously inexpensive for the quality of food and atmosphere.
This hotel is brand new and is not completely finished. If you stay here, definitely try to get an upstairs room so you have windows that aren’t blocked by a wall that is 2 feet away. We checked out all of the guest houses in town that looked somewhat inviting and this was by far the best combination of rooms and common area. Sala guest house looks nice from the outside but the rooms weren’t as nice but would also make a good choice. This hotel is a bargain at US$50 per night. We also stayed at 3 Nagas and the Grand LP. The 3 nagas has the nicest room but at more than double the price, it may not be justified. The grand is really nice for the common areas and their brand new amazing 5* pool but it’s location out of town isn’t ideal (click on my name to see my other reviews). This hotels isn’t over the top luxurious but it’s definitely the most western of the guest houses and without a doubt the best value and I as a result I highly recommend staying here.

• Liked — Brand new, contemporary rooms
  • Disliked — Hard bed
  • Stayed March 2008
    • Check in / front desk
6 Thank TravelSnob1
Newport Beach, California
Reviewed March 25, 2008

TYPE OF ROOM: Upstairs & Downstairs (2 different rooms).

TOILETRIES: Average. If your pick, probably best to bring your own.

CLEANLINESS: Spotless. Room and hotel common area is exceptionally clean.

• Liked — Price and the nicest looking of all the guest houses
  • Disliked — Lower level room didn't get natural light
  • Stayed March 2008