“Lovely Location and Friendly Service”
Review of Villa Champa

Villa Champa
Ranked #92 of 272 Luang Prabang B&B and Inns
Reviewed February 2, 2012

Our stay at The Villa Champa in Luang Prabang was memorable for the right reasons: Good service, lovely room with a terrace (on the upper floor), and a relaxed location very close to all the temples and best restaurants of the old town.

The room itself had a great 'wrap-around' balcony, comfy bed, cable TV, A/C and ceiling fans. In the colonial style it was a joy to stay there. My only gripe was the lack of a fridge in the room.

Service was friendly and helpful. You can help yourself to free tea and coffee downstairs all day long, as well as use their computer for internet, again for free. Helpful advice was also given.

I'd recommend this hotel for a couples, families, whoever really. A fine choice.

Room Tip: Upstairs rooms have the balcony. The best one in on the corner of the crossroads.
  • Stayed: January 2012, traveled as a couple

Reviewed January 22, 2012

I stayed 3 nights at this hotel. Nice location, near downtown and Mekong-river. Nice interior-design. Cozy and clean. If you stay more than 3 nights straightly, you can get a discount. Lobby floor room's rate starts from $20. But second floor room with balcony starts from $30. But the horrible weakness of this hotel is noise pollution. You can actually hear your neighbor's snoring. Last night, some crazy european hippies had their little party over 2:00...it was a nightmare. Except that, everything was fantastic.

• Stayed: January 2012
Reviewed December 21, 2011

Stayed here for 1 night in late November 2011.

PRO's
- This place met all 5 criteria for a good hotel for me; (1) Hot water which worked, (2) Free wifi which worked, (3) Comfortable bed, (4) Clean and hygienic, (5) Air conditioning which worked.
- Location was in central luang prabang
- Across the road is a restaurant (Villa Ae Kham) which makes the best french baguettes I have ever had.

CON's
- Room was adjacent to the street and was slightly noisy in the morning. Not a biggie.

CONCLUSION
Would definitely recommend it to others.

• Stayed: November 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Rowan H
Reviewed December 11, 2011

Stayed there for couple nights after moving out from the previous, obscure hotel. Size of the rooms is ok, plus they are nicely furnished and not that expensive (USD 30/night). No breakfast included in the price but you can enjoy free coffee and bananas. Location is the best, in the heart of the old town. Staff was polite, friendly and professional. The one tiny minus due to the fact that our sleep was a bit disturbed due to the construction works on the nearby lot.

• Stayed: November 2011, traveled with family
Reviewed November 15, 2011

We treated ourselves to 2 nights at the Villa Champa in October at a rate of 200,000 kip ($25 USD) a night. Yes, a bit expensive considering that there are many, many guesthouses nearby and throughout LP. However, the staff was very accomodating and the rooms were impeccably clean/well decorated.

I was shocked this place only had a 3.5 star rating on TripAdvisor. However, after reading the 3 negative reviews, it seems they were being extremely harsh considering the circumstances....and I find it very hard to believe that the staff was surly considering everyone else's experience at this hotel when we were guests. And to clarify, in countries such as Laos, Thailand, Vietnam, etc. the overwhelming majority of properties do NOT clean your room on a daily basis. Yes, you might expect that in your home country at almost any motel/hotel, but you also wouldn't be paying $25 a night. Right? Right.

The free computer in the lobby did experience some internet trouble during our stay, however the staff worked to fix it and it was up in a couple hours. There was also construction next door on a new hotel (maybe a second Villa Champa) that started at 8am and ceased at 530pm. That may detract some visitors, but it didn't bother as much as we were in town to sightsee and not lounge in the room too much during those hours.

Overall, highly recommended to spend a couple nights here and, if staying in LP longer, finding a slightly cheaper alternative to save your kip for all the other great things you can spend it on.

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled as a couple
2  Thank bayarealutz
Reviewed October 21, 2011

There are many good things to say about Villa Champa, starting with the front desk. All three of the young men there are very good at their jobs and nothing is too much trouble. It is a hands on family business. The rooms are very clean and a reasonable size too, with Cable TV and A/C.

The hotel is right on the route that the monks take on their morning alms walk, so this is an absolute bonus.

There is a very good cafe opposite where you can get breakfast and there are many restaurants close by as well.

Our room was $20 per night which we thought was very reasonable for what we got.

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed June 10, 2011

I have mixed feeling about this hotel.
Good:
- Staff was very friendly
- Rooms are nice
- Location is nice

Bad:
- AC didn't work, I was moved to another room. Then was moved to same room, staff claimed AC is fixed but it was not. Finally same guy who moved me to second room, fixed AC...basically he did something in remote. Don't know why he didn't try first day. He is very nice though.

- When I went to check out, I was asked to pay higher rate another employee. He said guy who gave you low rate doesn't know anything. After brief argument, I agreed to pay new rate. When I made payment, I was charged only for one night while I stayed there for three nights. I could have walked away but I didn't want poor employee to get into trouble. I paid for three days.

- I wanted to leave my valuables in safe box, which is nothing but unlocked drawer in reception. Staff put some of my stuff in drawer but left my travellers checks on reception un-attended for ten minutes. When I was leaving, I saw my cheks on reception. Waited for that employee to come back and took all of my stuff with me.

I don't know if they are really dishonest or it's just mismanagement. Staff members were nice, I can't tell if they were playing games with me.

• Stayed: March 2011, traveled solo