“Great stay”

Cairns, Queensland, Australia
common_n_hotel_reviews_1bd8 1,204 helpful votes
“Great stay”
Reviewed December 21, 2011

Stayed here for 1 night in late November 2011.

PRO's
- This place met all 5 criteria for a good hotel for me; (1) Hot water which worked, (2) Free wifi which worked, (3) Comfortable bed, (4) Clean and hygienic, (5) Air conditioning which worked.
- Location was in central luang prabang
- Across the road is a restaurant (Villa Ae Kham) which makes the best french baguettes I have ever had.

CON's
- Room was adjacent to the street and was slightly noisy in the morning. Not a biggie.

CONCLUSION
Would definitely recommend it to others.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Rowan H

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (9)
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
Warsaw, Poland
Reviewed December 11, 2011

Stayed there for couple nights after moving out from the previous, obscure hotel. Size of the rooms is ok, plus they are nicely furnished and not that expensive (USD 30/night). No breakfast included in the price but you can enjoy free coffee and bananas. Location is the best, in the heart of the old town. Staff was polite, friendly and professional. The one tiny minus due to the fact that our sleep was a bit disturbed due to the construction works on the nearby lot.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled with family
Bangkok, Thailand
Reviewed November 15, 2011

We treated ourselves to 2 nights at the Villa Champa in October at a rate of 200,000 kip ($25 USD) a night. Yes, a bit expensive considering that there are many, many guesthouses nearby and throughout LP. However, the staff was very accomodating and the rooms were impeccably clean/well decorated.

I was shocked this place only had a 3.5 star rating on TripAdvisor. However, after reading the 3 negative reviews, it seems they were being extremely harsh considering the circumstances....and I find it very hard to believe that the staff was surly considering everyone else's experience at this hotel when we were guests. And to clarify, in countries such as Laos, Thailand, Vietnam, etc. the overwhelming majority of properties do NOT clean your room on a daily basis. Yes, you might expect that in your home country at almost any motel/hotel, but you also wouldn't be paying $25 a night. Right? Right.

The free computer in the lobby did experience some internet trouble during our stay, however the staff worked to fix it and it was up in a couple hours. There was also construction next door on a new hotel (maybe a second Villa Champa) that started at 8am and ceased at 530pm. That may detract some visitors, but it didn't bother as much as we were in town to sightsee and not lounge in the room too much during those hours.

Overall, highly recommended to spend a couple nights here and, if staying in LP longer, finding a slightly cheaper alternative to save your kip for all the other great things you can spend it on.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
2 Thank bayarealutz
Tweed Valley, Australia
Reviewed October 21, 2011

There are many good things to say about Villa Champa, starting with the front desk. All three of the young men there are very good at their jobs and nothing is too much trouble. It is a hands on family business. The rooms are very clean and a reasonable size too, with Cable TV and A/C.

The hotel is right on the route that the monks take on their morning alms walk, so this is an absolute bonus.

There is a very good cafe opposite where you can get breakfast and there are many restaurants close by as well.

Our room was $20 per night which we thought was very reasonable for what we got.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
Hsinchu
Reviewed June 10, 2011

I have mixed feeling about this hotel.
Good:
- Staff was very friendly
- Rooms are nice
- Location is nice

Bad:
- AC didn't work, I was moved to another room. Then was moved to same room, staff claimed AC is fixed but it was not. Finally same guy who moved me to second room, fixed AC...basically he did something in remote. Don't know why he didn't try first day. He is very nice though.

- When I went to check out, I was asked to pay higher rate another employee. He said guy who gave you low rate doesn't know anything. After brief argument, I agreed to pay new rate. When I made payment, I was charged only for one night while I stayed there for three nights. I could have walked away but I didn't want poor employee to get into trouble. I paid for three days.

- I wanted to leave my valuables in safe box, which is nothing but unlocked drawer in reception. Staff put some of my stuff in drawer but left my travellers checks on reception un-attended for ten minutes. When I was leaving, I saw my cheks on reception. Waited for that employee to come back and took all of my stuff with me.

I don't know if they are really dishonest or it's just mismanagement. Staff members were nice, I can't tell if they were playing games with me.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled solo
Paris, France
Reviewed May 24, 2011

We showed up on their doorstep after checking out a couple of other places in the neighborhood (there are hundreds!) Their posted prices are quite expensive and I wouldn't have stayed there for the posted prices, but as it was low season, they were happy to bargain and we got a lovely room for around 20USD. The bathroom is tidy and has shower curtains so water doesn't go everywhere. The floors are lovely wood and the windows are large. There is a TV, small sitting area, and outdoor balcony with another sitting area. The bed is a little hard for my pansy American self, but it had a proper mattress. And there is currently construction on 2 sides of the building, which woke us up with hammering around 8 in the morning, not too bothersome, but probably not the best place to stay if you sleep late every day. They have free wifi (on and off in the rooms but good in the reception area) free bananas, which we partook in for our daily journeys, and free coffee and tea. Me, the reception guy, (i don't know how to spell it) was super nice and spoke quite good English though he did (very kindly) try to sell us an overpriced tuk tuk to the airport.
Around: There's a tour company on the right hand side of the street if you walk towards Sisavavangvong St. that was honest, and kind. We bargained with them and got a reasonably priced scooter for 2 days and cheap plane tickets, they also have bicycles. Saffron bakery -towards the Mekong then turn right- has excellent iced coffees, and great food. The portions are small-ish but the owners (Lao and American) are super nice and are helping the hill communities by teaching them coffee farming in lieu of opium farming. +++

• Stayed May 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed January 15, 2011

This place is very expensive (~40 USD) compared to other hotels in the area, I would advise looking somewhere else before staying here. The location is good, but there is no breakfast and the wi-fi internet is very flaky, only working now and then. At one stage we asked for an extra blanket, but we were told it was not possible as there was a 'one blanket per room' policy. The beds were also very hard and uncomfortable. We ended up moving to a more comfortable hotel around the corner on the river for 15 USD per night.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled as a couple