“Lahore”
Review of Avari Hotel Lahore

Avari Hotel Lahore
Ranked #3 of 56 Hotels in Lahore
Reviewed December 24, 2013

I stayed in the Lady Avari section as I was travelling on my own, and which I had previously experienced at the Avari Karachi (which is excellent). Overall the hotel is very comfortable, clean and the staff more than eager to please. Rooms are well appointed and the Lady Avari touches make the rooms alittle more homely and comfortable (e.g. fruit platter, biscuits, chocolates and lovely bathroom products). Also having a women's only section does give solo female travellers some additional peace of mind regarding safety. Having access to the executive lounge also made work very easy and pleasant.

However I agree with one of the previous reviewers, the staff's expectations of tips for every small thing can be a little grating. This is certainly not applicable to all staff - most were excellent, did a wonderful job and deserved to be tipped however some certainly did not - lingering around uncomfortably in a guest's room hoping for a tip is not really acceptable behaviour in this sort of hotel.

Also I found it odd that I was unable to order an a la carte meal from the main restaurant, Kims, during dinner service. Buffet was the only option - as I was not overly hungry I only wanted a small meal and I did not want Japanese, Chinese, outside BBQ or pastries - the other available choices. I ended up ordering room service.

One other area of improvement is having more in-room information about the location of restaurants and other facilities in the hotel. I had to continually ask the front desk for assistance on where to find the salon, restaurants etc as my room did not have this information written in a folder, which is commonplace in many hotels. The salon for example is external to the hotel and can only be accessed outside. Having this information more readily accessible for guests would make things much easier.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled solo
2  Thank Miranda C
GMLHE-AVA, Public Relations Manager at Avari Hotel Lahore, responded to this reviewResponded February 13, 2014

Dear Miranda thank you for taking the time to write in such detail. We are pleased your stay with us was comfortable.

With the help of your feedback we were able to run a training campaign across the hotel to discourage employees from eliciting tips. The Management is happy to announce the campaign has enjoyed much success.

Thank you for helping us improve.

Reviewed December 21, 2013

My first trip to Lahore was as a delegate to South Asian Conclave, who were accommodated in Avari Hotel, which is located on Quaid E Azam Road also known as Mall Road, it is the best part of the city with historical & cultural value. Most of the buildings on Mall road bear Mughal or British architecture and are occupied by vital installations like the Punjab assembly, Governor house. The hotel is located close to the old city and the Anarkali shopping complex. Lahore museum is in vicinity and also Lahore Zoo and Jinnah Park (in past known as Lawrence Garden). On arrival at the Wagah check post (on Pakistan side) the hotel's coach was waiting for us to take us to the hotel. It took about 45 minutes from the immigration post to reach hotel. On way, I could see various shades of Lahore's life. We were quickly allotted the rooms once we reached the hotel. The check in was smooth, welcome drink was refreshing, hotel's Director Sales Mr. Syed Kazim Rizvi was there at the reception to welcome the delegates.
We had checked during the noon and soon after getting refreshed, settled for lunch at Kim's room which is the coffee shop at the lobby level. The service was excellent, food quality above par, portion size sumptuous and unparalleled hospitality. Rooms are nicely decorated in modern style, with all amenities. Wi-fi internet is free across the property, the room has a big bureau for business traveler to do their job, wide screen TV set have Pakistani and American channels, bed are comfortable. However, there was no iron table in the room for business traveler, which in my opinion is important but hotel offered laundry service for charge.
I am highly impressed by the turn down service of the hotel. They not only cleaned the room and made the bed, but also placed bowl of cookies, pastries and some desserts in room - the taste of which I cannot forget. I do not know, whether this is a standard practice or was an exception for the delegation but it left a lasting impression on mind.
Morning I tried their fitness center, which lacks the five star quality experienced so far. The cardio machines were rickety and old, not at all maintained and no instructor or supervisor. They have temperature controlled swimming pool, but being located outside it gets cold.
One issue, which I had at check out, was the currency exchange rate being offered by the hotel. I am aware that the rates at hotel are little higher than the rates being offered at bank or exchange counter but here they were irrational - the difference was about 6% to the market rate, which in my opinion is too high and hotel should consider that, so that the guests do not feel fleeced after witnessing excellent hospitality. Advise for the fellow traveler - get your currency exchanged at market counters which offer better pricing. There are plenty of them around hotel on walking distance.
I missed to mention the market close by, which are just on walking distance. The evenings are lively with food counters and shoppers on the street. Chaman ice cream stall nearby is a hit and must visit. Anarkali compelx is also a shoppers paradise - old world charm. Then Lahore zoo is just across the road and Lahore museum faces Anarkali Market.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank Amit_Mittal

Dear Mr Amit Mittal thank you for taking the time to write to us. We are pleased you enjoyed your stay at Avari Lahore and hope you will return to enjoy Lahori hospitality very soon.

In view of your feedback we are looking in to options for uprading the Health Club. It may interest you to know major upgrade has been scheduled for the entire hotel in the coming months. Thank you for endorsing Avari Lahore.

Reviewed December 7, 2013

Had the opportunity to experience the excellent hospitality of the Avari. The food is yum, the staff is warm and hospitable and ready to serve and the rooms are clean and comfortable. Qasim Jafri, the GM runs a tight ship. 1st choice to stay in Lahore.

Stayed: November 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank AshwaniSingla

Thank you for taking the time to review our services Mr Ashwani Singla. We value your feedback.

Reviewed November 19, 2013 via mobile

Very Luxurious. Everything is perfect. I stayed there for 3 nights. It was a excellent experience. A++++ service. Staff is very careful helpful & friendly. And the Lahore is also very beautiful & historic place. There is alots to visit and discover.

Stayed: February 2013, traveled solo
GMLHE-AVA, Public Relations Manager at Avari Hotel Lahore, responded to this reviewResponded February 14, 2014

Reviewed November 19, 2013

One of my favourite hotels after a recent 3 week business trip through Asia.

I stayed for 2 or 3 nights, in the executive type room. Outside the room was a little area with free cakes/sandwiches and drinks, all complimentary. An nice quiet area where you could hold a meeting with colleagues, or just relax a little.
The room was great, slightly dated and period features and furniture but in a very nice way. Very clean, very comfortable.
Big selection of complimentary foods in the room, from cream cakes, fruit, biscuits, almonds in water...
Internet worked fine, with free wifi in the communal executive lounge area.

Flower/chocolate on bed every night.

Reception lobby downstairs was clean, fine, nothing too remarkable.

Buffet restaurant was fine, again, nothing remarkable, but enough choice that you wouldn't starve.

Gardens were beautiful, well kept, nice in afternoon sun.

I'd happily stay here again. Out of an 8 city/hotel trip this was my favourite place.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled on business

Reviewed November 15, 2013 via mobile

I stayed there for 5 days. Everything was perfect. Staff is very caring and the Food safe and delicious. Security wise this EX Hilton is splendidly organized too. The garden visit is highly recommended. It is also nice to sein in open air in a water of 31 degrees C while the outside is 22-23 C mid november

Stayed: November 2013, traveled on business

Reviewed November 13, 2013

I had a very decent time at Avari Lahore. The hotel has a comfortable, cozy feel to it. On the executive side of each floor there was a very welcoming lounge area, where you could always get some tea/coffee and a bite of something while working or having meetings. This area also had a computer and printer for use. I found the rooms to be a little on the small side, even though I was staying in the executive wing. But the service was great. They staff serviced the room twice, once in the morning and then getting the bed ready for sleep, in a night turndown service. A pleasant surprise was the radios installed in the bathroom and the bed side table, which you could tune to great Pakistani music or news, and you could hear it wherever you were in the room.

I must also recommend the Avari Lahore highly for their staff's helpfulness. After I left the hotel, I realized I had forgotten a brand new (still tagged) shirt hanging in the wardrobe. This realization came a few days too late. But the staffer I spoke to found my shirt, got back to me and then couriered it back to me in Karachi. Well done!

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled on business