“Friendly, quiet and well maintained.”

Mandalay City Hotel
Ranked #12 of 109 Hotels in Mandalay
Cologne, Germany
“Friendly, quiet and well maintained.”
Reviewed June 20, 2013 via mobile

An oasis in the buzzling city around, wonderful little pool with palms surrounded. Reasonable but not outstanding rooms. Same for the restaurant, the breakfast was pretty poor. The staff outstandingly friendly, responsive and supportive.

Stayed June 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank coloneusmundus

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (90)
  • Polish first
  • Thai first
Vienna
Reviewed June 18, 2013

I stayed at the hotel for 3 nights and found it a perfect spot for exploring Mandalay and surroundings. It is really hard to believe that such a hotel is right in the center of the city as you are surrounded with a lovely garden. There is even a fish pond as you walk to the reception area.
Staff was welcoming and friendly. Unfortunately my travel agency had booked a room on the top floor which was quite an issue as there no elevators and I had knee surgery weeks prior to the trip. So for a while it looked as if I would need to spend the night in the reception area. Eventually rooms were switched around and I got one on the first floor. But that flexibility took quite a while to happen and only after I suggested it.
My room was spacious, fairly quiet (although I had generator noise and 'call to prayer' every morning), had a comfortable bed, nice bathroom with lots of towels and accessories, but the décor was a bit old. The pool was great – after a hot day exploring the sights – just the right way to chill. Breakfast was also pretty good, although geared to Asian palates – but being adventurous, this type of breakfast opened up a new view to what other peoples in the world eat for breakfast. I really enjoyed trying new food. Being a single traveler I had most dinners at the hotel and I agree with other raters that these meals and drinks were overpriced.
I will not mention the power problems as many tourists travelling to Burma are informed that one should bring a flashlight due to the power problems – so that did not present any problems in my case. I also had no issues accessing the internet in the lobby.
One thing I will mention that made my departure end on a strange note. As in every hotel, there are laundry bags in the room. Make sure you check whether there is such a bag in the room before you check out, as housekeeping will come to haunt you. I was ready to unpack my suitcase just to prove that I had not taken any such bag. This was behavior the hotel should reconsider – how expensive can a laundry bag be?

Room Tip: Ask for a room on a lower floor if you have trouble climbing stairs as there are no elevators. A r...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled solo
2 Thank MarianneVienna
Oxford, UK
Reviewed June 5, 2013

I booked Mandalay City Hotel through a travel agent in Myanmar and got an excellent deal. After accommodation experience in Yangon, I wasn’t expecting much for the approx. $50/night I paid, but was pleasantly surprised.

My room was large and bright, with good air con and comfy beds. The decor was a bit odd, but the room was very clean and comfortable.

The staff on reception were really friendly and provided great help and advice.

Breakfast was fine. The Asian selection better than the Western food, but plenty to choose from. The pool was also nice for a quick dip and to escape the Mandalay heat.

Overall a really good mid-range choice in Mandalay with excellent facilities and service considering the price. Location is also good for exploring Mandalay. Would stay there again.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled solo
5 Thank Dan_ES1
Houston
Reviewed June 4, 2013

This hotel is in the center of town, so it's easy to get around. It's built in the old bus station. So the hotel sits way back from the busy city street. It's quiet and a friendly staff. The rooms are small, but clean, quiet and cool.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank OverNextHorizon
Queensland
Reviewed June 1, 2013

This hotel is in the middle of the city but you would never know once you are at the hotel. The room was fairly small specially when you travel with 2 large suitcases, but comfortable for Myanmar standards. There was NO wifi in the room, only in lobby and restaurant. We had a couple of meals there and they were good. Lots of staff and not many guests when we were there.

Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Qcruiser
Antigua
Reviewed June 1, 2013

Our stay at this hotel was amazing. The service is excellent. It was so comfortable, cozy, and friendly. After sightseeing every day, instead of feeling like we were "going back to the hotel," we felt like we were coming home. I can't say enough about how much we loved this place. We recommend this hotel to anyone.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank Anna L
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed May 29, 2013

We stayed 3 nights here in May and found it a perfect spot for exploring Mandalay. From the outside, you’d never guess there is a peaceful hotel through the gate. The outside road is very busy but once you reach the hotel entrance, you are surrounded with a lovely fish pond and gardens, so the road seems miles away. Close by are a few restaurants and the market so it’s in a great location.
Staff were welcoming and helpful, and check in a breeze. Our room was spacious and quiet, away from any noise that other reviewers have mentioned (we were on the first floor sort of above reception and restaurant area). Comfy bed, nice big bathroom with heaps of towels and toiletries, and good air conditioning. As mentioned, there are power supply issues throughout Myanmar, and we did have a few power cuts when we were at this hotel (and in a few others too). But that didn’t affect our stay in the least.
The pool was great and we spent a few hours relaxing in and around it after hot and dusty days exploring. Breakfast was also pretty good, and we had dinner there one evening which was also quite good (though a little overpriced). Beers in the lobby were the most expensive beers we had in Myanmar, but still only 4000 for a 620ml bottle which is still much less than you’d pay at home. Wifi was good, and we were lucky enough to be able to access it from our room, but it was stronger signal in the lobby.
I’d be happy to stay there again if we ever return to Mandalay.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple