Mandalay City Hotel
  • Bar/Lounge
Nylon Hotel(Mandalay)
Hotel 8(Mandalay)
View Hotel
All reviewsan oasisswimming poolbusy streetgarden viewtour groupno elevatormandalay cityegg stationnight marketair conquiet locationnice poolthe wi fibreakfast buffetlocal restaurantsexcellent hotelrooms are large
FilterAll languages
Reviewed June 1, 2013

This hotel is in the middle of the city but you would never know once you are at the hotel. The room was fairly small specially when you travel with 2 large suitcases, but comfortable for Myanmar standards. There was NO wifi in the room, only in lobby and restaurant. We had a couple of meals there and they were good. Lots of staff and not many guests when we were there.

Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Qcruiser
Reviewed June 1, 2013

Our stay at this hotel was amazing. The service is excellent. It was so comfortable, cozy, and friendly. After sightseeing every day, instead of feeling like we were "going back to the hotel," we felt like we were coming home. I can't say enough about how much we loved this place. We recommend this hotel to anyone.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank Anna L
Reviewed May 29, 2013

We stayed 3 nights here in May and found it a perfect spot for exploring Mandalay. From the outside, you’d never guess there is a peaceful hotel through the gate. The outside road is very busy but once you reach the hotel entrance, you are surrounded with a lovely fish pond and gardens, so the road seems miles away. Close by are a few restaurants and the market so it’s in a great location.
Staff were welcoming and helpful, and check in a breeze. Our room was spacious and quiet, away from any noise that other reviewers have mentioned (we were on the first floor sort of above reception and restaurant area). Comfy bed, nice big bathroom with heaps of towels and toiletries, and good air conditioning. As mentioned, there are power supply issues throughout Myanmar, and we did have a few power cuts when we were at this hotel (and in a few others too). But that didn’t affect our stay in the least.
The pool was great and we spent a few hours relaxing in and around it after hot and dusty days exploring. Breakfast was also pretty good, and we had dinner there one evening which was also quite good (though a little overpriced). Beers in the lobby were the most expensive beers we had in Myanmar, but still only 4000 for a 620ml bottle which is still much less than you’d pay at home. Wifi was good, and we were lucky enough to be able to access it from our room, but it was stronger signal in the lobby.
I’d be happy to stay there again if we ever return to Mandalay.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank KGB_4
Reviewed May 28, 2013

I enjoyed my stay in the Mandalay City Hotel on my first visit, when I had a room facing the garden and close to the lobby (the WI FI worked...my room looked right into the lobby). On my second visit I stayed across the hall and at about 4-4:30 you will hear the train and that's the end of your snooze!

The restaurant was good, breakfast buffet was quite decent with plenty of selection.

This hotel is a "hole in the wall" that you drive through from a main street in Mandalay...then you enter their very nice garden oaisis. Very pleasant scene.

I'd certainly stay here again with the requirement that I had a room facing the garden.

The internet all over Mandalay is not slow...it's horribly, painfully slow. Now....you've heard the expression "painfully slow" but have you actually been in pain due to downloading at 3-7 kps??? If you need the internet you'd better get done by 7 am because when the shops begin to open I watched my download speed drop like a rock to the point where I'd barely get half an e-mail downloaded before I'd lose my connection. I went to a nearby internet cafe and I heard from other travellers who stayed in other hotels in mandalay and everybody agrees carrier pigeons are still state of the art in this Burg!

Room Tip: Be absolutely sure to get a room facing the garden--on the other side of the hall you will hear the noise starting at 4 am. If you stay on the ground floor VERY close to the lobby you can get WIFI in your room but the internet in Mandalay is beyond terrible between 7 am and 10 pm....the worst I had during my extensive 24-day travel by solo car all over Myanmar!
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled solo
Reviewed May 22, 2013

Our room was beautifully furnished and comfortable. The dedication to client service was obvious in all the litte details. The hotel is located in a perfect location. We had a wonderful time, and I would recommend this hotel to anyone. In fact, I already have.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled with friends