“Nice clean hotel but location somewhat out of the way”
Review of Silver Star Hotel

Silver Star Hotel
Ranked #89 of 118 Hotels in Mandalay
Reviewed May 9, 2012

Thanks to the numbered streets, downtown Mandalay is easy to get around.

The hotel's location leaves a bit to be desired. While the markets are nearby, local shops consist of motor vehicle parts and repair shops.

The rooms were very clean and the bathroom was quite modern (for Myanmar). That said, the shower had no shower curtain and the water from the basin exits via an uncovered half pipe (hard to explain and no major issue, but somewhat disconcerting to see your own toothpaste spit re-appear).

There is meant to be internet and wifi in reception, but again connectivity is poor.

You can hire bicycles a block away from Mr Jerry (on 27th). The ice creamery is also nearby and worth a visit.

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled solo

Reviewed April 5, 2012

Stayed here as part of a tour, the room wasn't anything special but at least it had air-con and a fridge. Only one lift could mean a long wait. Buffet breakfast wasn't very good for western tastes but the breakfast staff were extremely helpful and friendly.
Mandalay is a bit spread out so hard to judge how good the location is, however the hotel is quite close to the main market and the night market, I think you need a taxi to get to most other places

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank SJB10
Reviewed April 3, 2012

Hotel's location is OK. We managed to walk most places. A few places for eating nearby but close up early. Taxis about if you need.
Bedroom and bathroom were not too bad but needed a spruce up. Bathroom mirror had never been cleaned - ever I think. Walls quite thin and we could here the giggly Asian ladies next door quite clearly; scary at first as you think someone is in your room. Room at back so no street noise.
Staffs' friendly and helpful attitude more than made up for any deficiencies.
Breakfast (which was OK) was made a pleasure by their attitude.
Laundry was done quickly and satisfactory.
Would stay again if the price was right.
Wifi in reception and dining room worked OK for my daughter. Internet is mostly slow in Burma.

Room Tip: Rooms at the back and higher up seem to be quiter
  • Stayed: February 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank Hazel3110
Reviewed March 18, 2012

We only stayed here for one night and decided to leave. The room was decent and there's hot water, which is a plus. There's wifi in the lobby, but the internet speed is extremely slow (think AOL dial up in the 1990s). That said, my wife and I were downstairs in the lobby when we watched the manager berate her staff for quite a long time. We even looked at her at one point and made eye contact, but she still went on to yell at her staff, in the lobby, in front of everyone who was there. That's why we decided to leave first thing after breakfast the very next day. The staff was incredibly friendly to us – it was only the management that had attitude – and we simply didn't agree with the way they were being treated. Not recommended for that reason alone.

3  Thank J D
Reviewed March 15, 2012

Stayed in this hotel as part of a group tour. Upon checking in I noticed the carpet was pretty filthy, bath unclean, as was the "window sill" in the bathroom - covered in cobwebs - and the bed frame was very dusty. I asked for the room to be cleaned, pointing out the cobwebs in the bathroom, the hair in the bath and the carpet covered in "bits". When I'd returned to the room, it had been cleaned very well...but only the things I'd specifically pointed out - I lived with the dusty bed, etc.

I was also slightly concerned that despite me continually closing and locking the windows, they kept being left opened and unlocked. I was thinking more in terms of security than anything else but suppose the cleaners were thinking airflow rather than safeguarding my belongings.

Aside from that, the hotel was fine, with hot water and a nice big bed. Breakfast was pretty good, with eggs in the morning. Location isn't too great, with surrounding area very quiet at night - Muslim area. This restricted us slightly in terms of where we ate, ending up at Scott's both nights I went out - which was a very good beer station with good, cheap food and drink.

Staff were pleasant but quiet and my laudry was done well and cheaply.

Overall, I think they just need more practice at being in the tourist industry and my experience was that whilst I didn't expect my room to be so dirty, they soon came and sorted it out, so all was well.

p.s. No issue for me but I was on 8th floor room but lift only goes to 7th - I only mention this FYI because my back went (badly) just before checkout and I had to carry my rucksack in agony.

• Stayed: December 2011, traveled solo
1  Thank Danny B
Reviewed March 5, 2012

We stayed at the silver star for 4 nights in Feb 2012 and were a little apprehensive, having read some poor reports. We found a very clean hotel ( reception, breakfast room and our en-suite room). The staff were helpful and friendly. The wifi fine but only available in reception and as everywhere in Burma a little slow.

We had a corner room on the fourth floor - which was very bright and cheerful and although there was a lot of street noise it didn't start intil about 7 00am and definitely finished before 10 pm - so it didn't bother us at all. The fridge and air con in the room were both reasonably quiet

Should I go back to Burma I wouldn't stay in Mandalay as the air quality is so poor - it made our eyes sting and I came way with a bad bronchitis - if you can find a hotel/ guesthouse in Amarapura or the other villages that would probably be better.

1  Thank CeeBeePee
Reviewed March 3, 2012

The hotel is very well located in the center and near the market, but it is also easy to get out. At the corner of two busy streets it is rather noisy. Administration is poor: we had issues about our reservation, room rate as well as about a flight ticket we tried to book. Breakfast was limited to (Burmese standards), certainly if you are not a fan of rich Burmese breakfasts or toast with eggs every day. Internet was available, but very slow and expensive. The room was specious, had TV, airco and a minibar. Price was relatively high side to Burmese standards

Room Tip: They do have rooms away at the back side.
2  Thank JvB-Ehv