The Hotel by the Red Canal in Mandalay is charming, with lovely architecture in a charming setting, and with very friendly and helpful staff. There were 4 issues which disappointed us in our stay:
1) despite having paid 1 week in advance for a suite, upon arrival we were placed in a very small (albeit charming room, containing essentially a bed), and had to negotiate to secure a room with more space than merely the bed.
2) no hot (even warm water). i never stayed in a hotel with a starting price of $150/night without this facility
3) the restaurant is mediocre.
4) this hotel is toted as having a gym, however, the gym was closed for repairs - the staff made efforts to resolve this matter within a few hours.
The helpful staff made up for most of the inconveniences, except for the hot water....
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- An oasis by the landmark Red Canal in local folklore just minutes from the famed Mandalay Palace and other attractions, The Hotel by the Red Canal is a convenient sanctuary, with its lush tropical greenery and calming water features, amidst the hustle and bustle of Myanmar's cultural city. “By choosing to stay with us, we will provide you with the extra measure of quality, comfort and personal convenience that you are looking for. Being small, we are able to provide personal attention to the needs, wants, and expectations of every guest.” The boutique-style hotel is a celebration of all things Myanmar, featuring teak furniture and fixtures & fittings made from rattan, mother-of-pearl and other local materials as well as Myanmar marble lining the bathroom walls. Each of the 4 types of guestrooms or customized suites, differentiated by individual style, bears the name of the major ethnic groups in multi-cultural Myanmar and is adorned with rich traditional paraphernalia and trappings reflecting their respective cultural heritage. All Chin and Shan suites feature a balcony overlooking the swimming pool and garden green. Ground floor Chin suites enjoy a “water moat”. The Rakhine suites are spacious and ideal for the business traveler. An outdoor shower with a slate wall of cascading water is the highlight of the honeymooner Kachin suites. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, JovagoAsia, Agoda, Asiatravel.com Holdings, Hotels.com, Priceline, Hotel.de, HRS and Despegar.com so you can book your Hotel by the Red Canal, Mandalay reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.