“We would return in a heartbeat”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Hotel Yadanarbon

Hotel Yadanarbon
Ranked #7 of 108 Hotels in Mandalay
Gunnison, Colorado
“We would return in a heartbeat”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 4, 2014

We loved our stay at the Hotel Yadanarbon and in Mandalay. The manager and staff made us feel welcome from the very first "mingalarbar". We were greeted by staff member Nwe Nwe Tun with cool towels, cold drinks and smiles even though we arrived around 9 am. There were three of us and the hotel manager kindly upgraded us to a larger suite to provide us more room. The hotel arranged a reasonably priced, unique, and special tour that began at dawn for us to watch the sunrise at the U Bein Bridge. Our driver, Lu Aung, quickly learned that we were not interested in the normal tourist route and took us to some special walks, interesting experiences, and places where we only saw locals. We loved our time with him and give him our strongest recommendation. We were approached by local taxi drivers outside the hotel claiming that our hotel's drivers worked for friends of the government etc. We honestly don't know, but believe that the money we spent on tours helped support the families of employees of our hotel. Other stand outs in the staff were Nweni and Oakkar. Really a special and highly competent team. The rooms are comfortable, the air conditioning good, and the flat screen TV nice. A nearby Diamond Mall provided first run Hollywood movies in crisp air conditioned theaters for $2.50. The Internet, like in all Myanmar accommodations, was unreliable. We also enjoyed the free music, puppet show, and complimentary rum sour happy hour drinks on the rooftop. Very nice touch. We also loved the nearby Singapora restaurant. If you love shrimp, try the shrimp patties. So good! We would return in a heartbeat.

Room Tip: We were moved from a standard to a superior which was really a nice size room for three people. We...
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled with friends
1 Thank Y1964oung

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (108)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Thai first
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 29, 2014

Myanmar has been amazing in the level of hospitality offered by their people. However, it was only when I visited Hotel Yadanarbon that I truly experienced tip top care and service for my stay. On 29 May, I had checked out of the hotel. Unfortunately, due to late train timing at Mandalay station, I had to seek refuge at the hotel lobby. Yadanarbon made the special difference for my final night in Mandalay.

Initially, I went to the counter to ask to stay on lookout and wake me up by 3am in case if I fell asleep. However, one of their employee, Si Thu, was not only kind enough to agree to wake me up, he even went above and beyond his duty by reminding me that I should rest well before I embark on my train journey. He offered to arrange free water and pillow to make sure I was comfortable in that few hours. I was extremely touched. In the final hour when I was about to leave, he even offered complimentary breakfast food for me to bring along on the train. Such a level of service offered by him and this hotel made my stay in Mandalay very special. By all means, go ahead and trust Hotel Yadanarbon, it offers so much more value for it's already reasonable pricing (free in-house puppet show at night, complimentary rum and orange cocktail, decent quality buffet breakfast). Will definitely return to Hotel Yadanarbon the next time I am in Mandalay.

Room Tip: Generally the rooms have little difference between them.
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled solo
2 Thank Ethan_Yeo_SG
London, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 29, 2014

It seemed that accomodation was either cheap or expensive in Mandalay. We chose the former. At first sight it appeared a very decent hotel. Staff very courteous and quick check in. Once in the hotel we discovered it was next to a festival/discourse whatever and the noise lasted until 05.00 the next day. The following night it went on. The third night we were told it would end at ten but it continued until 02.00. Fourth night was decent. The restaurant is on the roof, stair access only and there are several raised areas you should look out for - no warning. The standard of food was decent but I fell violently ill on the second day; we had not eaten out so take care with your menu selection. After the first day the stench from the drains became quite awful. We did not feel that management was interested in any problem.
We returned for an overnight stop, just sleep and go for the boat to Bagan. That night was not too bad.
Staff were very helpful with booking transport, I even left a mobile which they sent by messenger before the boat left.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank grumpy554
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 29, 2014

We had pretty much the same observations as previous reviewer lisakav when we came to the hotel in May (clean spacious rooms; good quality sheets;fat fluffy pillows, nice tub, filling and varied buffet breakfast, puppet show and traditional music at the rooftop every night) In addition, a big plus for us, was that we were allowed, without added charges, an early check-in (as in 2:00 A.M.) to our most grateful surprise and comfort (two women past our primes). We did not even ask for it (we were willing to wait in the lobby 'til daybreak.The manager, on the request of the desk person, Si Thu, gave the added accommodation without any fuss. They also provided us with transportation around Mandalay City and neighboring towns for an entire day at reduced cost. Ko Yar, the driver was very helpful with information regarding the sights and was patient with our requests. Overall service is excellent; members of the staff, without exception, were all very helpful. The manager, Mg Lwin, was particularly attentive to our requests. He even personally drove us to the jetty and arranged our trip to Mingun; he also had us fetched from the jetty on our return when we couldn't find a ride back to the hotel after the trip. It was to me one of the best hotel experience ever!

• Stayed May 2014, traveled with friends
1 Thank vlima22
San Francisco, CA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 28, 2014

The best value hotel in Myanmar that we've stayed in. We paid $45.50 for a Superior Room in May, and stayed there twice on our way through Mandalay. Rooms are clean and spacious, strong A/C. Staff is friendly, knowledgeable and helpful in booking day trips or bus travel. Breakfast on the roof is a fabulous buffet, best we've had. Free drinks on roof for happy hour is a nice touch and puppet show is unique.

Only con is wifi is slow unless you're in the lobby where it speeds up a bit. I recommend Singapore Restaurant around the corner for dinner or lunch.

Room Tip: Two different rooms on the 4th floor, both great.
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
Singapore
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 27, 2014

We arrived earlier than expected and were able to get to our room immediately. Originally we were just going to overnight here before moving on to Bagan by boat in the early morning. Due to low river levels we ended up flying out in the afternoon. The staff were able to set up a driver and vehicle and recommend a whirlwind itinerary to maximize our short stay here. Staff were very friendly, professional and had good language skills. We had 2 standard rooms (1-queen, 1-double beds) both were suitable size, clean and everything functioned.

The upstairs rooftop bar/restaurant (Skybar) has an excellent view of the city and surroundings. We were there in the middle of May and if you have a late breakfast it can get pretty toasty under the rooftop canopy, but is quite pleasant in the evening with a light breeze.

Non of us were ever able to get any money out of the ATM in the lobby, but there are numerous ATM's nearby.

Overall we were very happy with this choice.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled with family
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 21, 2014 via mobile

I booked a standard room for 1 night. The hotel is centrally located within 15 mins drive to the Highway bus station. Strong aircon, shower and wifi available in room. I have also initially arranged for a day trip to Mingun with the hotel. Will like to compliment front office staff, Mr Si Thu for been so patiently helping and explaining to me with my day tour booking. However despite his best effort, I did not manage to proceed with the tour eventually as I had an incident.

It was unfortunate that i slipped and fell in my room's washroom the night before (it was no fault of the hotel at all). The Hotel's General Manager rushed me to the Mandalay Hospital at 3am in the morning and I was admitted for 3 days.

The hotel management is a god-send to me as a solo traveller during my entire hospitalisation ordeal in a country which spoke mainly native language.
Some brief description of what they did for me:
1) The hotel sent 2 of their staff (Resident Manager: Ms Than Than Aye and her staff: Mr Ko Nay) to keep me company in the hospital throughout my stay from 8am to 10pm daily to help communicate and translate with the doctors.  Thanks to Hotel owner: Ms Darli for allowing them to do so and for personally calling up for my condition updates daily. Your assurance put me at ease in this difficult time.
2) They brought me specially cooked food (as I could only eat soft diet) and fresh juices from hotel every meals at no charge as hospital do not provide meal.
3) They brought me bedsheet, pillow and blanket as these are not provided in the hospital's special 1-bedded single aircon room
4) They also keep my room in hotel at no charges so that my luggage will be untouched.
5) In addition, the hotel manager help to settle all hospitalisation charges in cash (the hospital only accept cash) as I did not have enough cash with me and the local agent of my travel insurance could not help to make payment in advance.
6) Upon my discharge, they upgraded me to a superior room with better facilities at the same discounted agoda rate.

A excellent rating here could not express my gratitution enough. This is a not a big hotel chain but definitely managed by a team with BIG golden heart.   Will strongly recommend anyone to stay here for the superb room and service.

Stayed May 2014, traveled solo