“Comfortable and well situated”
Review of Hotel Yadanarbon

Hotel Yadanarbon
Ranked #7 of 110 Hotels in Mandalay
Reviewed November 27, 2013

This is a very comfortable and modern hotel, and clean. It is standard for a good tourist hotel in Myanmar: large and spacious rooms, friendly staff keen to help, a good breakfast. It is usefully situated as there are many restaurants in the area, most of which are used by locals. We ate outside (we always find restaurant food is better, with cheaper prices and more choice) as we tend not to eat in hotels. Breakfast was good, in the downstairs restaurant, there was a good range of things to chose from, we ate at 0730 and there was masses of fruit etc.. Wifi was intermittent here, but worked in the reception area.

There are newer reviews for Hotel Yadanarbon

Reviewed November 23, 2013

I chose this hotel because it was new and ranked #1 on Tripadvisor (4 weeks ago). It's a small place but still clean and new. Location is good and there are tons of eating places around the hotel. In the mornings there is a local market on the street next to the hotel. Nice to walk around to see the local foods. Breakfast was included in the room charge but was not so great, so on our second day we decided to get adventurous and try the local food in the market. Bowl of noodles was less than a dollar and very tasty. Ask for a room that is not on the top floor as there was construction going on and you can hear banging noise all day.

1  Thank BurmaTraveler1990
Reviewed November 23, 2013

I booked this hotel based on TripAdvisor reviews, looking for a little splurge after several dusty days in Bagan. I was really surprised at how different my experience was from what I read here. The hotel is clean and modern. That's about all of the positives. Here's the rest:

* When you come in to the hotel you are greeted with orange drink (Tang) and a cold washcloth; this should be a nice experience, but they seemed impatient for me to take them, while reception was having me fill out a form and give them my passport... the idea is nice, but the implementation doesn't work.

* In hotel restaurants prices are outrageous (in USD) and service is awful. If you are dining downstairs when they open the rooftop restaurant, you are left with no waitstaff and have to move upstairs. I was having an appetizer when this happened to me. I went upstairs and after 20 minutes of trying to get the attention of one of the waitstaff... nothing. There were 2 tables of people and probably 7 staff, but they were apparently too busy to take my order. The staff at the front desk only recommend the upstairs restaurant.

* Wifi works about 1/2 of the time. They will blame the provider when it is down, and that is common in Myanmar, but most of the time it seemed to be a configuration with their router (different behavior on my computer and mobile)

* Likewise, they will tell you that it is an issue with the provider if you don't get, for example, CNN in your room as in the lobby. Rescan channels on the TV and there it is... I get that they probably lack the expertise for these things, but the staff are entirely unhelpful.

* Outrageous laundry prices. Cost more than 4x what any other place has charged me in Myanmar, tried to overcharge me in spite of my having filled out the form.

* Housekeeping keeps the hotel clean, but there was no toilet paper when I got to the room. Nor did any arrive until my second day, when the housekeeper barged in to my room, though I asked for privacy since I was sick, and told me that she couldn't come back because she needed to change the shower curtain (!) I have no idea why this was an emergency to her, but I spent an uncomfortable 10 minutes in the hallway while she did that. (I had been using the restroom, so it was extraordinarily unpleasant.)

* Breakfast was basically non-existent by 8:30. The trays were all empty and the staff told me that they don't re-stock them... there was only white bread and 3 (rotten) bananas, and orange drink. On the last day I asked for a to-go breakfast since I had an early train, but that didn't happen either.

* Other reviewers commented on how helpful the staff was in organizing travel plans, but that seems to only be within Mandalay, with their taxis/drivers (which they charge much more than the going rate for). I asked several questions about my ongoing travel to Hsipaw and they only said "we don't have any idea about that." They also could not call ahead to a guest house, as every other place I've stayed in Myanmar has bent over backwards to do. They are pleasant enough, but not at all to the standard of even bare-bones budget places in the rest of the country.

Check out took more than half an hour! The front desk guy was sleeping on a couch and was very difficult to wake, then tried unsuccessfully to call housekeeping to check the minibar in my room.

Finally, the hotel is not near many restaurants/etc. and taking a taxi there will cost twice as much since the hotel is well-known with taxis (who see it as a high-end option.) That's not the hotel's fault, but you should be aware.

Room Tip: Previous reports of noise from rooftop construction should be ok now that the rooftop restaurant is...
  • Stayed: November 2013, traveled solo
3  Thank onimity
Reviewed November 22, 2013

Stayed here 4 nights while in Mandalay. Very clean and modern for Burma. Room was fine, nicely furnished. There's a outdoor restaurant on the top floor that was a great place for watching sunrise and sunset.

Noticed a strange odor in the hallway, just as we entered the room the first time but it wasn't in the room. Noticed it one other time too, same, just as entering the room but then it was gone. Wasn't a pleasant smell but not sure what it was and since it was so brief I ignored it. Only other problem was the breakfast on 2 mornings, first morning there it was on the main floor and apparently everyone showed up for breakfast early, the room was packed and there wasn't enough places to sit. So the next morning they moved it up to the outdoor restaurant on the top floor where there was more room but it still didn't go smoothly, there wasn't enough dishes and they were slow getting the food up there. The other 2 mornings were fine. I think the problem comes when there's multiple tour groups staying there and they all have an early start.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed November 20, 2013

Why did I laugh out loud when I arrived at the Yadanarbon Hotel.? Because there is a computer next to the reception counter and I could see a staff member reading the Hotel reviews on Trip Advisor! True story. I arrived very unimpressed by my first impressions of Mandalay, dusty streets,stray dogs and a long and tedious drive from an airport in which nothing electronic seemed to work. The Hotel restored my spirits with a warm welcome and a cold towel. The staff are eager to help you in any way they can. My room was comfortable and well equipped. I cannot give it top marks because the hot water supply was a little erratic and it lacked a bedside reading light. However when I returned to the Hotel a few days later I was upgraded to a superior room (at no extra charge) and this one had a bedside reading light.
The rooftop is a very pleasant place for a meal or a drink in the evening. The staff were very helpful about organising taxis and tours. They did my ferry booking for me.I thought it was very good value.

Room Tip: Try for one of the superior rooms
  • Stayed: November 2013, traveled solo
Reviewed November 18, 2013

Although many have said before, the staff really do need to be mentioned as the contributing factor to the overall experience of this hotel, From the moment you arrive to a welcome drink and cold towel, to room service and any taxi excursions they are a real credit to this business.

We used a driver from the hotel for one day out (55$) his English was fantastic and knowledge and helpfulness exceptional, I don't know if we paid over the odds but even so worth every penny.

Breakfast is the weak link with a very cramped space trying to service all the guests and the choice was limited.

The roof terrace is beautiful with so much potential for more use during the day, as it only seems to be used at night, but whilst we were there they were still working on improving this area so this May well change in due course.

Overall a good hotel for a reasonable price.

Reviewed November 12, 2013

There aren't too many hotel options in Mandalay, but Hotel Yadanarbon is a great pick. The staff is friendly and very helpful in organizing tours, taxis, evening activities, etc. Breakfast wasn't great, but it had the essentials of toast, jam and eggs. The hotel is very picky about only accepting perfect USD. They were installing an ATM as we were checking out, but you have to be careful because the ATMs in Myanmar do not accept all foreign cards. Request a room that is farther away from the stairwell. It can get noisy if guests are coming or going at odd hours. Free wifi is available in the lobby area.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple