“Best in Myanmar”

and 1 more site!
Yoe Yoe Lay Homestay
Reviewed March 10, 2014 via mobile

The Yoe Yoe Lay was one of the best guesthouses we've ever been. We went there three times during our whole myanmar trip.

++ Mama the kind and warm-hearted owner takes good care of you
++ Staff very friendly and helpful
++ They organize everything for you (Trips, accommodation, good taxi drivers)
++ Super clean
++ Good dorms
++ Good breakfast, as much as you want
++ Free drinking water
++ Clean western toilets
++ Shower with hot water and strong pressure
++ only 10 dollars per night

Stayed: February 2014, traveled as a couple
yoeyoelayowner, Owner at Yoe Yoe Lay Homestay, responded to this reviewResponded March 17, 2014

Dear Buddhars,

Thank you so much for taking your precious time to write such an excellent review on our property. We're thrilled to know that you enjoyed your stayed with us. The word "Thanks" doesn't really cover for your valuable opinion and how much we appreciate it. I also translated to all of our staffs about your review and they are very happy to know that. We are looking forward to seeing you again in the near future and wish you the very best. :)

Best regards and Many Thanks,
Yoe Yoe Lay Team

Reviewed March 6, 2014

Before you make a booking here, you have to consider this: Yoe Yoe Lay is 6km away from the city, and the only available transport is if you order the taxi from the guesthouse which costs $6 one way. From the city if you are a good bargainer you can get back for $5. It means that on top of what you pay for accommodation you will have to pay daily $10+ just to be in Mandalay. Around Yoe You Lay there are dust roads and some local eateries on the main road, so not a very interesting place to be. We thought we could organize some kind of transport ourself, but after half an hour of trying with locals next to the road, and them trying to get taxi price levels, we just gave up.

The most important part however is this: the owner is running a big scale overbooking scam. It started with our own story. When we arrived we were offered with drinks and watermelon, first I thought what a nice welcome. Then I understood why. After sitting for 15-20 mins we wanted to check in, however the manager started with a very fishy sounding story that went like this:

"erm... I'm sorry... we made a mistake..."

Then he continued telling about a place 2 minutes walk from the guesthouse (sounds familiar? check other reviews...) where we could stay. I told him that I have reservation for a double room, and I will not go to any other place. In the end we got the room, but the scary thing is, I have been the ear and eyewitness of the exact same story with another 5 people! The owner simply overbooks the place and then sends people to some peoples houses around the village. A girl we met was moved to a house and slept there with some locals sleeping on the floor next to her! She too had made reservation by the way.

Here is the catch why there are so many good reviews: The owner likes to use emotional blackmailing by offering drinks and food and trying to play the nice person, chit-chatting even if you are not interested. She knows very well that these small things will make her a lot of money. $25 for a tiny mosquito filled (we were chasing them 2 hours after arrival!!!) room where barely anything fits, 6km out of town is way overpriced. Paper thin walls with zero soundproof (and we had the exterior toilets with no roofs (!!) next to the room - fun times :)), and in a house where half of it is under construction - expanding business it seems.

Trust me, I heard so many people complain there, it's really shocking to see the many positive reviews. Looks like "Mamas" (the owners nickname) emotional tricks work. Fake smiles, fake hugs and some drinks and food will not get far. The place is simply bad from all traveler aspects - it's way out of town, it's expensive (especially with travel costs), the rooms are tiny and filled with mosquitoes. The only good thing was the breakfast, that was nice and filling. I would definitely look for a centre location hostel, I've heard from other people that for the fraction of the price you can get nice rooms in the city.

Room Tip: If you want a good room, stay in the city, don't stay here.
  • Stayed: February 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank DanielWarsaw
yoeyoelayowner, Owner at Yoe Yoe Lay Homestay, responded to this reviewResponded March 13, 2014

Dear DanielWarsaw,

Thank you very much for taking your precious time to write a review on our property. We are so sad to know that we couldn't fulfill your expectations.

We are 10 mins drive from the city center. We are in the middle of the authentic local Burmese community and away from hustle and bustle . To talk about the locations, even if you are staying in the city center beside the central train station or central moat area, you still need a taxi or motor bike taxi to do sightseeing since all the attraction sites in Mandalay are spread out all over the city and some of the ancient cities are as far as 50 km from Mandalay. Burma is a 3rd world country, so we couldn't really understand with your complaint about being dusty. As we've mentioned above, we are in the middle of local community, so most of the eateries are also packed with locals. But you have loads of choices from street vendor,BBQ shop, Shan traditional food to Burmese cuisines, Chinese cuisines, Seafood and beer pubs with/without live bands. Lots of restaurants are stone throw away from our guesthouse.

And, we didn't take you to the another house in the village. It's another building owned by us and it's only 3 houses away from the main building.So, it only takes few steps. We tried to show you a better room with it's own balcony. But, language barrier made you misunderstood and you insisted to stay in the main building. So, we accommodated in a double room there.

During your stay, we had some internet issues so we couldn't check our e-mail and facebook for 2 days. So, we couldn't know in advance with guests changing their date of stay. And, that makes you think we overbooked. According to this, one of our guests had to sleep one night in the chill out area. But we did compensated her by giving her one night free of charge for that day with full facilities and full amenities of our guesthouse including breakfast. But absolutely not overbooking with 5 other people.

And for mosquito issue, we tried our best to keep mosquito free. Plus we provide repellent, electric catchers and rackets, coils, spray and mosquito nets all for free. We are also quite aware of the markets of Mandalay. We are proud to be one of the cheapest options in Mandalay.

We try our best to be friendly, helpful and taking care of our guests with all the possible ways we can with smiling faces. It' truly is just the way we are. And, most of our guests could feel it and they come to Yoe Yoe Lay to experience the local Burmese life. So, it's quite funny that you accused us for " emotional tricks". If you are allergic to genuine Burmese hospitality, ours is not probably a place for you. Plus we are quite sorry to see that you also degraded all of our other precious guests.

All in all, we are not 100 % perfect and we admit that we still have some requirements which we are trying to improve day by day. And we sincerely apologize you for all the inconveniences and mistakes that you encountered during your stay with us. As our guesthouse motto, " your happiness is our concern", our guests are always our first priority. I would love to have the opportunity to speak with you directly, so please do not hesitate to contact me via facebook or email. We hope to see you again in the future and wish you the very best.

Best regards and many thanks,
Yoe Yoe Lay Management team

Reviewed February 28, 2014

I've stayed in Yoe Yoe Lay for 8 days and loved every moment.
Clean rooms, toilets, showers.
Suitable for backpackers (I paid 10$ for dorm) and tourists (double room with shared/private bath 25/30$).
Amazing breakfast (you get a special dish everyday, beside the normal breakfast).
Mr. Aung Ko Win (the manager), and the staff is really nice and can help you with any question, taxi arrangement and so... sometimes even to nice!

At last, After staying for 8 days, I was invited to free lunch which they make especially for me :)
(If you wander what I did for 8 days in Mandalay, ask the manager about PES).

The only rating I marked as 4 is "Sleep Quality", because they don't have mosquito nets.

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled solo
Reviewed February 27, 2014

I picked Yoe Yoe Lay as my first stop in Myanmar because of all the great review provided in TripAdvisor. Mama is fantastic like everyone else says. All the staffs are absolute amazing - really make you feel like you got adopted into a big Myanmar family. I stayed in the original building where Mama and some of the staffs sleep so the homestay feel is definitely there! The breakfast is fantastic and service is way better than any of the 5 star hotels I have stayed! Common area is excellent to meet fellow travellers - in fact, I ended up spotting people that had stayed Yoe Yoe Lay EVERYWHERE in Myanmar afterwards... Even at Yangoon Airport at the very last moment! It was Awesome! There was an issue with my bus ticket to Bagan when I arrived at the bus station. Mama was so concerned (she booked the ticket for me but the bus company messed up the booking) she rushed to the bus station to meet me even after the situation was sorted. She waited with me for about an hour until I left, and called my Hotel in Bagan next morning to make sure I arrived safely!! One concern I had heard from some guests, is that they feel "pushed" by Mama to use her transport arrangements instead of arranging their own. For me the price seems fair compared to what other people paid in other hotels. But even if her price is a little higher, I would've still went with her because I can complain to her if things didn't go as planned. Mama is simply trying to help and is very efficient at it. She felt that it's her responsibility to ensure everyone's stay in Mandalay is as enjoyable as possible. She cannot do anything if her guest complains about transport arrangement not arranged through her, which has happened a few times and she felt bad! I like all 3 drivers that I met. Though one of the motorcycle driver will likely take you to his store and the restaurant nearby with the hope that you'll spend some money there.. and I suspected the restaurant charged premium tourist price for our orders..:)I was OK with that but be prepared to say no if that offend you. All in all a great start for my Myanmar trip. If I go back to Mandalay I'll definitely stay here again!!!

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled solo
Reviewed February 21, 2014

I'm writing this as my trip here in Burma is coming to an end, and I have to say this is probably the best place I have stayed so far. Nice clean rooms, hot showers, clean toilets and a really, really good breakfast. Mama, the boss, is a bit of a tiger mom, but she is so friendly and helpful. Aung, the receptionist, is always very helpful and is quite a charmer if you start speaking to him. I took the boat from Mandalay to Bagan and had to leave at 5.30am, and the staff got up to give me breakfast and even packed me a lunch for free.

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled solo
1  Thank margrkn
Reviewed February 20, 2014

Its always hard to find rooms suitable for families when traveling in Asia, so it was lucky we found this guesthouse and were able to book a dorm room for four (2 bunkbeds and private bath) which was perfect for us. The rooms were clean and comfortable (with the exception of the massive pillows which were a bit too big for our comfort). Bathrooms were basic but clean and with good water pressure and heat. I liked staying in a local neighborhood and the staff welcomed us like family (even made a special dinner for us one night in addition to the lovely breakfast daily) and went out of their way to make us comfortable and help us get around. The location is a bit awkward meaning we had to take a taxi to everything, but the value of the room made it worthwhile. Mama and her sister and stafff lined up a series of taxi drivers for various excursions for us including an overnight to Bagan. When we were at the house relaxing we watched some tv in the den and appreciated the cable which had even better selection than what we have at home in Bangkok.

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled with family
Reviewed February 18, 2014

Very nice guesthouse with an extremely friendly and helpful owner that personally looks after every single guest.
The rooms are nice and clean. The best part ,however, is the amazing breakfast served by the very attentive staff.
We stayed 3 nights and would go back anytime.
The only "downside" is the location which isn't really downtown. This doesn't matter as bicycle/motorbike or driver/taxi are required anyways to get around in town as sights are widely spread all over the city and outskirts.
Overall, we had a very pleasant stay and can fully recommend the Yoe Yoe Lay Guesthouse.
We booked our room trough Facebook.

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled as a couple