“Reservation accepted. Could not accomodate us on arrival”

and 1 more site!
Yoe Yoe Lay Homestay
Toronto
“Reservation accepted. Could not accomodate us on arrival”
Reviewed November 26, 2013

We booked this guesthouse based on the great reviews on trip advisor. We reconfirmed when we left on our Myanmar trip three weeks before arrival. We also had organized a taxi pick up from the airport. This was done both via face book messages and reconfirmed via e-mail. The last e-mail confirmed that there will be a taxi waiting at the airport with our name and the guesthouse's name. To our surprise, no one was waiting at the airport to meet our on time flight. We took a taxi to the guesthouse. The guesthouse is located far away from any of the attractions in Mandalay. On arrival to the guesthouse, we were told that the guesthouse could not accommodate us as they have lost their licence. When asked as to why they could not have informed us prior to our arrival so we can make alternate arrangements, she claimed that she does not speak English. However, she had no difficulty taking the booking and reconfirming it and organizing a taxi pick up in English! We suspect that she did not inform us as she was hoping to regain her licence prior to our arrival.
To her credit, she did help us with phone calls to other hotels and guesthouses to find alternate accommodation. It wasted about three hours and we ended up in a very basic guesthouse that was all we could find on short notice. We also had to pay the taxi driver for all the time he waited while we tried to find another accommodation and for driving us to it.

Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
5 Thank TorontoMusicman

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (18)
  • Polish first
  • Thai first
Reviewed October 8, 2013

A CouchSurfer helped me to find this place since I asked him for help to find somewhere to stay.
The place is great. I stayed in a 4 bed dorm. It was very clean and had air conditioning. The linen was changed every day.
The breakfast was amazing. It consisted of eggs(fried, poached or omelette), toasts, mango, orange juice and coffee or tea. Nan Bwe, the owner, surprised us sometimes with delicious pancakes. They also will cook a great dinner if you ask them in advance, for a very tiny amount of money.
It even has internet but do not expect to find a high speed broadband. It fails very much but you have to remember that you are in Myanmar. It happens in all around the country. Do not go to Myanmar if you expect to use the internet very often.
Above all I would like to stand out the very friendly and lovely staff that I will never forget as well as Nan Bwe’s English teacher and an amazing real state agent ^^ . Furthermore, Nan Bwe speaks a very decent English so there not will be problems of communication.
If you go to Mandalay stay in this place."

2 Thank Ari L
Vancouver, Canada
Reviewed August 30, 2013

I was recommended staying at Yoe Yoe lay by someone who had also been recommended it - and was not disappointed. I was honoured to have been the first canadian guest and what an experience it was staying with Nan Bwe and all of the lovely staff, friends and other travellers at the homestay. My stay in Mandalay was extremely memorable because of where I stayed and although the location is a bit out of the city centre/confusing to find at 4 in the morning - it is all worth it. Nan welcomes you to her home as family and treats you amazingly the whole time you are there. Her friend Snow even took me on a special trip to the U bein bridge on my first night on her motorcycle!

I have really never felt more taken care of in a place that was so reasonably priced, clean and comfortable. It is really great for meeting other travellers. Just don't go hoping to be antisocial/alone - it's not that kind of place. You will meet people you will never forget when you stay at Yoe Yoe Lay Homestay.

Room Tip: Check/reserve ahead if you can - Although the homestay has only been open a while - it's popular...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled solo
2 Thank Lindsay W
laos
Reviewed August 6, 2013

we had a great stay at Nam Bwe' s house. she took care of us , if we were her children. therefor she created a warm atmosfeer and all the guest at home.
she welcomed us with fresh fruit and drinks. every time we went out she gave us a cool bottle of water. the breakfast is great and included !
She had great tips, organized tickets , taxidrivers what ever we needed. explain a lot of myanmar.
the house and rooms were very clean . there are bicicles you can rent . the place is about 15-20 min. cycling from downtown. But Mandaly is very big and has extended areas.
after 5 days in the mountains we stayed again for a night.
since august she opened a new guesthouse with even privaterooms .
we have recommend yoe yoe lay to other travelers and the all were very satisfited
Hans en Caroline

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank enjoy015
Cambridge, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 28, 2013

This was one of the best value places I stayed in in Myanmar and was my first stop.
I knew it was going to be basic but at $10 a night - you can't expect luxury - just hopefully a comfortable bed, cleanliness and decent service. However all too often these three things are so hard to find in budget places and hostels.
However, the lady that runs this place got it all SO right. My dorm bed was really comfortable the room and bathroom spotlessly clean. The breakfast was amazing and the welcome wonderful and incredibly genuine.
The lady that runs it seems to really love having guests to stay and treats you like a friend or family member. She can't do enough to help you and helped me organise bus tickets and team up with other travellers for trips. The place attracted really nice and interesting other guests - some of whom were travelling solo which was great. It felt a little bit far out but it's really easy to organise cheap motorcycle taxis to get to wherever you want to go and they will pick you up directly off the airport bus.
It's clearly a good business for this lady and her family but she is one of those people who really deserves to succeed.

3 Thank Ruth C
Wuhai, China
Reviewed July 21, 2013

My CS friend Teo recommend this homestay but i did not book it in advance, anyway Mama came to pick me up at the station with another Amercian couple. Mama is so nice to me espeically when she knew i was sick on the first day i arrived. She helped me in every day to make my stay as comfirtable as possilbe. She also arranged a day trip for me with the Zech couple who were very friendly too, which is much cheaper.
The room was clean and tidy, everyday Mama served us water before we left. Also, the breakfast was the best one i have ever had in Myanmar.
Mandalay is the definitely my top one fav city in Myanmar because of the nice people i met there.

Joanna wang from China

Stayed in July,2013

Room Tip: the bunk bed i stayed are nice
Boulder
Reviewed July 20, 2013 via mobile

I can't say enough good things about this homestay. You really feel like you are an adopted child into Mama's loving arms! She is so wonderful and nurturing, goes out of her way to make sure you have what you need and are comfortable.

The rooms are shared hostel style with AC. The beds are very comfortable and everything is clean. There are lock boxes in the rooms for your valuables.

Mama and the girls who work there fix up a mean breakfast! Hearty and delicious, ready to face the hot mandalay sun. Mama also gives you water every day, sometimes pre frozen :-)

I will hold Mama, the women who work there, and this place in my heart! A highlight of my amazing Myanmar trip!

• Stayed July 2013