“Mixed review”

and 1 more site!
Unity Hotel Mandalay
Ranked #41 of 118 Hotels in Mandalay
Reviewed January 20, 2013 via mobile

I really want to like this hotel but my review is mixed.
Positives- walked in and got a room immediately. Perfectly good clean room for the price, didn't really care about lack of window as there wouldn't have been a view anyway. Bed is the most comfortable we have experienced in Myanmar so far and linen was good quality and clean. Bathroom well laid out compared to other comparative hotels, i.e the shower doesn't land directly on.the loo.
Good breakfast, Asian buffet or toast eggs and fruit. Welcome drink and 500ml water each on arrival. Walking distance to the V Sky Nad is you want a nice burger and beer. Also a supermarket two streets along.

Negatives- offered $35 room initially and not given the option of the $25 room until asked. Saw another couple almost pushed into a higher rate 'better' room when they wanted the cheaper option. Think this was the slightly dodgy night manager though. initially luke warm water whilst we were there thanks to broken boiler. This hotel is in the Muslim area so got woken at 5:45 every morning with the call to prayer. Also had to stand on a cupboard to reach the aircon unit as there wasn't a remote.

For $25, a good room and I slept well with earplugs!

• Stayed: January 2013

Reviewed January 10, 2013 via mobile

Stayed here for one night and had a great experience. The room was big, clean and had satellite tv - an unexpected plus in Mandalay. The manager gave me a great restaurant recommendation and helped arrange for transport the next morning. I rented a bike from them, which subsequently broke, but the manager immediately came to pick me up on his scooter and dropped me where I was biking to.

• Stayed: January 2013
1  Thank OcelotNYC
Reviewed January 6, 2013

Even taking into account that the recent boom in tourism into Mandalay, and that the tourist infrastructure would be stretched there is no excuse for what can only be described as the most tired and grim hotel I've stayed in for many years.

The cleanliness of the bedlinen was in such doubt that I slept on top of the bed in my silk sleeping bag liner (which was the only time I needed to do this during my whole stay in Myanmar)

The floor of the wetroom / toilet has such a slope I wasn't sure wether to stand with one leg on the wall to stop myself sliding downhill under the shower (okay so maybe a little over the top but you get the picture) - Luckily the grotty grout between the tiles provided enough grip.

The final mistake (just as I left after two grim nights) was to check the floor and under the bed for any items I may have dropped before leaving. Thankfully there was nothing of mine to be found but was shocked to see a pair of someone elses manky old sock amoungst a layer of dust & dirt that the cockroaches were knee deep in it and couldn't be bothered to come out and let me squash them!

Avoid if you can - But if you can't check room out first and make sure they've cleaned under the bed(s) before you stay.

Room Tip: Don't forget to check the cleanliess of the bedlinen and that they've cleaned under the bed...
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank Jay H
Reviewed December 2, 2012

Unity Hotel
Mandalay

Dirty Dangerous & Damp

Our tour operator had booked our group into this hotel because their normal hotel was already fully booked.

The first room we were given had a filthy bath, a cracked wash basin & half the ceiling fallen down. Huge damp patches on the walls and in the wood panelling decorated the bedroom itself.

The second had aircon not working on a very hot & humid day & then a giant cockroach crawled across the floor.

The third one was immediately below the workers' dormitories & we were not entirely unconvinced that our room too was not normally put to this use. Platoons of tiny red ants quickly covered anything edible, unless it was kept in the fridge.
The bathroom was, once again, the piece de resistence - when the basin's cold tap was turned on, the water went straight over my feet- not a surprise when I looked at the 'so called plumbing ' under the sink. Water from the bath also came up behind the toilet. The wiring on electrical products had to be seen to be believed & really concerned us , as if there had been a fire, the only exit was down the stairs in the middle of the building.

The mattresses were badly stained, as were the mattress covers which, I was informed, could not be washed (!)

A significant proportion of the staff, including on reception, did not appear to speak or understand English.

Location wise, there is nothing of any interest within walking distance- not even somewhere to buy a coffee. The pavements and the roads are all extremely dirty and, as the hotel is situated on the corner of 2 busy streets, there is considerable noise.

Breakfast was barely adequate, you had to make your own toast & there was definitely no 'service with a smile'.

With initial impressions so unfavourable, we did attempt to move to a better hotel- only to find them fully booked, as I understand to be the case with most hotels in Burma these days.

Mandalay itself also proved to be a huge disappointment - there are no 'dreaming spires' , no vestiges of a grander past- just dozens & dozens of streets, where whatever passes for 'normal life' goes on. We did not succeed in finding anywhere to eat that did not involve sitting on tiny stools outside, breathing in the very considerable amount of traffic fumes which hang in the air.

Room Tip: Go somewhere else!
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank Flekkygirl5
Reviewed November 19, 2012

We stayed here because of the surge of tourists staying in Mandalay. If you are going to Mandalay, therefore, secure your hotel well in advance. This hotel doesn´t look attractive from the outside (not that that is important) and doesn´t look attractive from the inside either. Its in the area of Mandalay that specialises in car mechanical repairs.

We were assigned room 603, which, by coincidence, is mentioned on here as one of the bigger rooms in the hotel. It isn´t especially big, but big enough.

Things that concerned me included the electric, it looked like a mish mash of systems. One of our party had their electric go in their room; I met the young gentleman who was trying to fix it, when he was in the lift. My confidence did not increase.

The bathroom was OK, although you can hear pouring water when ever anyone is using their shower, it sounds like the drains come straight out of a wall somewhere and then drop a height.

Air conditioning was good.

My main concern is how many people are being packed into this hotel. There are definitely people sleeping in the corridors, the landing between floors 7 and 6 had been converted into a make shift sleeping area, using chairs, and another guests said she opened her bedroom door and found a man sleeping right outside it. I was passing the room next door when it was opened, it is a twin room - I managed to count a family of 6 in there. My concern here is what would happen if there was any kind of fire as there are all sorts of unexpected obstacles to take account of.

Breakfast was OKish, the coffee wasn´t bad and service was OK. The guests toilet in the restaurant area was sufficiently wet that you couldn´t enter wearing flip flops. At least one cockroach was seen during our stay.

I wouldn´t recommend this hotel at all. I know Mandalay is struggling to provide enough hotels and I know that they are of varying standards, however, there is something about this one that made me more uncomfortable than any other hotel I have ever stayed in - and I have stayed in some dives.

Room Tip: Staying a long way up will make it harder to get out if something goes wrong.
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed November 18, 2012

We ended up in this hotel because all the other hotels were fully booked. From what I can tell, Myanmar is experiencing a surge of tourists and they simply cannot accommodate this sudden rise in tourist arrivals. Even at the lack of options, I would say avoid this hotel at all costs though. The rooms are very old and in desperate need of improvements.

I was given a room that smelled like cigarette smoke and looked run down at every corner. The walls were faded and there seems to be some holes and cracks here and there. Thankfully, I didn't encounter mice during my stay but it looks as though there might be a few lurking around. The window was tinted with an annoying purple color that doesn't help at all with the poor lighting the room currently has. The only bright side to this hotel is the accommodating staff, good location, and wifi. However, this isn't exactly the place I would want to come back after a tiring day of going around the city. I've noticed they placed a relatively new air conditioning unit and television set to help modernise the room, but these are merely band-aid solutions to an outdated room and building. I'm sure this hotel has seen better days.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed November 12, 2012

We stayed here because everywhere else in Mandalay seemed to be fully booked.

We stayed in 2 different rooms (superior and standard), both were mouldy, had very old and noisy air-con units and had lots of mosquitos. The standard room didn't have much of a window and had an annoying red electricity outlet light which was on all night - hard to sleep in a glowing red room.

Staff overcharged for tourist services (motorbike hire / boat trip / taxi).

Mandalay is very busy and there are a lot of tourists. I recommend that anyone going there pre-books their accommodation. And not at this hotel!

Room Tip: Mandalay is very busy and there are a lot of tourists. I recommend that anyone going there pre-books...
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple