“The worst accomodation so far”

Sabai Phyu Guest House
Dusseldorf, Germany
“The worst accomodation so far”
Reviewed September 8, 2013

I was staying there in January for three nights. We booked room in advance choosing it from LP travel guide. We knew that we need to expect shabby conditions, but we were shocked what we found there.

Room costed 20$ per night. It was cheaper option with shared bathroom. We arrived very early in the morning.

The guy who lead us to our room was really creepy. On the first floor we found small rooms built like animal cages with doors like from the basement. In general our room looked like prison cell, windows had no glass, mosquito net was tore. On the wall we could see big stains of fungus. Room was extremly dirty. Between wall and celling was the big gap so you could heard everything what was happaning on the other side. The guy next door was hawking for few houers in the morning very laudly so we coudn't sleep at all.

The guest house is located near every possible temple so from 4.00am you can hear Hindu temple, mosque and church. We was sleeping with light on because we were affraid that something will crawl out from the holls in the walls.

Bathrooms where shared like I already said, toilet squated. Of course we didn't expect luxury but this was so horrible that you couden't even come in. In shower you have only cold water. In general showers almost looks like toilets just without... you know without what.

Brakfast was included in price. It was ok. Like everywhere - eggs every day.

OK to don't be so grumpy I can say that at reception during the day there is a very nice lady who can help you with organizing taxi sight seeing. The taxi driver is her father who dosen't know english but he is very nice and helpful.

I can say also, that for more than 20$ you can rent rooms on the second floor which are renovated and we heard that they have better standard there. And all rooms have private bathrooms.

Big + They have their own lift from bus station. If you have reservation you can ask some of the taxi drivers about that. If not, even if you want to stay in this hotel you can't use it. Unfortunately taxi isn't free.

Room Tip: If you want stay there or you don't have choice better take more expensive option on the second...
3 Thank niccoludzkie

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (10)
  • Thai first
Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam
Reviewed April 13, 2013

It should be illegal to charge $22 for the worst room you've ever seen in your life. We pre-booked one on the first floor (the dreaded first floor), which don't have private bathrooms. We took a train from Bagan to Mandalay and needed to use a bathroom the whole time (the ones on the train were unspeakable). Of course, we arrive and are shocked by the foam green, dirty rooms with shared bathrooms. There isn't even a real ceiling, the walls only go up 3/4 and a mesh connects from the wall to the ceiling, meaning you can hear everything from the other rooms.

We get there, wait in line for the toilet only to find out some other guy has diarrhea and the toilet won't flush. That was it, we checked out of that room and opted for the more expensive ones upstairs, which were stomachable. For $30 we got a much cleaner, brighter, yellow-painted, private room that actually had walls and a private bathroom. Still, it was a room you would get for no more than $15 in other SE Asian countries. At least a sub-par breakfast was included, but the location was alright and views from the balcony and roof were charming. Although we did get woken up at 6 or 7 am by the cleaning lady shouting to someone else outside our door and chairs to the breakfast area being shuffled around above us.

Room Tip: Pay the extra $8 for an upstairs room, you won't last one night downstairs.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank AgnieszkaS101

Travelers are raving about these Mandalay hotels

Brisbane, Australia
Reviewed April 11, 2013

dont be deceived by the lonely planet write up. sure, there are prison cells on the first floor where people sleep. you wouldnt put your dog in one. even if he dumped in your bed.
the rest of the place is pretty good by Myanmar standards. the third floor is over priced for what you get, but considering the room squeeze across the country, rooms on the second floor are value and benefit from the lack of early attention caused by the LP description.
Breakfast is on the roof (included in the price as with all places in Myanmar) and give you a great view across the city as you think about your trip across the city.
Near to the fort, moat and main part of town, the guest house is ideally located. walk to local beer stations and watch movies in english with Burmese subtitles, or EPL as you eat peanuts and drink 800 Kyat beers.
Grab a motorbike driver (legal for tourists in Mandalay) and set out on the sights from the front door.
my room had its own bathroom (a massive plus) and although it was a bit iffy by western standards, i had my expectations readied by the rest of my trip and found it ok from my previous stays around the country.
dont expect too much from the staff, except demands to pay your room in advance. they are much stricter on the presentation of currency here compared to the rest of the country, so make sure you have pristine USD for the stay, or be prepared to stay in a much less desirable place.

Room Tip: Have pristine USD ready to pay in advance. Pay one night at a time in case you want to move, they w...
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 18, 2013

Being a backpacker, I stayed in all cheap guest houses all over Myanmar in Feb-March 2013, all of them are fine. But this one, please NEVER go there!!! I arrived in Mandalay at 3am, my hotel in Bagan prebooked a single room for me here, as nothing was available elsewhere. When I arrived, I was shocked and disguested by the site of the rooms which looked like prison cells! The hotel is completely dated, absolutely filthy!
SInce it was 3am, nothing was opened, so I ended up taking a room with private shower for $25 USD! Oucch!!!
The room was on 3rd floor without lift, it was absolutely filthy! The bathroom was dusty, looked like they have never cleaned it before. I asked for new clean pillow cases and they still looked dirty! I wouldn't recommend anyone to stay here! Totally overpriced for what they offered! Eventually I dedcided to leave Mandalay the same day and catch the evening bus to Inle Lake instead, this is the worst value motel ever!

Room Tip: Go to Nylon Hotel round the corner, pre-book by phone calls 33460
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank LinaLiu2046
l
Reviewed February 24, 2013

I stayed for 12 USD in one of the first floor prison cell style rooms with shared bathrooms, it was very dirty, and the shower room toilet had cistern lid on the floor next to the toilet and to flush it you had to pull the chain upwards from inside the filthy cistern, and on afew occasions the chain had fallen into the dirty cistern water and you would have to put your hand into the water to reach the chain at the bottom of the cistern..blerk!!! and no tap or bowl made flushing it by pouring water down the toilet impossible..no bin either for waste tissues..rubbish dropped on the bathroom floor instead..other squat toilets were typical for myanmar...sinks were blocked on 2 occasions..staff are noisy day and night, music is played loudly into the night aswell..the upper rooms look nice but are pricey...I was however pleased to have a mosquito net in the room.

Room Tip: stay in the upstairs more expensive rooms if you can afford to..
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled solo
Boulder Creek
Reviewed February 23, 2013

I travel long term and am not afraid of budget accommodations, in fact, I rather like them. This place is a pit. After calling eight full guesthouses, I was finally offered a room with private bath here. When I arrived, I was told the room was not available and they gave me a wndowless box that was more like a jail cell. The walls were paper thin. The filthy BR was at the other end of the floor. They also gave me wrong information about everything else I asked about--shared taxis, train times, et cetera, causing me to miss my train connection. Avoid, avoid, avoid. btw, I have never rated anything a "one" before. If there were a lower rating I woud use it. Stay at A.D.1 (see my review).

• Stayed February 2013, traveled solo
Paris, France
Reviewed January 5, 2013

For 12 $ you will have the opportunity to sleep in a dreadfull "room"with sharing bathroom. But the world room is a little bit overated. Just a square place with a bed and if you are lucky you will have a opening on a wall and just disgusting. As they know that for the moment all the guesthouses are full they really don't care about improve the place. But for 35 $ you could also have a double room with private bathroom. But it is not really better cleaning speaking. I asked twice for cleaning the room and I ve asked for new sheets where you could find some hairs and also chips. We didn't dare touch the walls because they were so disgusting. And about the bathroom if you look the shower head you will discover some algae. ABSOLUTLY A GUESTHOUSE TO AVOID !