“Modern Hotel in the MIddle of Mandalay River Life”

Ayarwaddy River View Hotel
Ranked #17 of 110 Hotels in Mandalay
Reviewed December 7, 2012

I have to concur with much of what has already been said - it's a relatively modern hotel right on the river, the staff is extremely nice, rooms are clean, free wi-fi (although my kindle died here, which broke my heart since we were only halfway through the trip - I'm sure it was not their wi-fi's fault), it is close to the temple and they start chanting at about 5 am, great rooftop restaurant/bar with free happy hour rum sour drinks. We actually had a suite - it was huge but kind of a quirky layout and feel (and it was still the least expensive hotel we stayed in). We were on the city view side - would have been nicer to have a river view (they were full so could not change). Staff could not have been nicer. It is surrounded by people living on the river and while it felt a little daunting when we walked at night about a mile down the road to a restaurant, there was nothing but smiles from people we passed and not even one of the many dogs growled. While the living conditions around the hotel may be third world (as another reviewer put it), the people are anything but - i have never been in a country where people were so friendly and welcoming. In fact throughout Myanmar, I never felt any hint of concern about crime or saw anything that made me concerned about safety.

Based on what I saw of downtown Mandalay (very hectic), I think i would prefer this location after a long day of sightseeing. And you can't beat the value.

Room Tip: Try to get a room with a river view
1  Thank bobandrewsjr
There are newer reviews for Ayarwaddy River View Hotel

Reviewed December 7, 2012

I have to concur with much of what has already been said - it's a relatively modern hotel right on the river, the staff is extremely nice, rooms are clean, free wi-fi (although my kindle died here, which broke my heart since we were only halfway through the trip - I'm sure it was not their wi-fi's fault), it is close to the temple and they start chanting at about 5 am, great rooftop restaurant/bar with free happy hour rum sour drinks. We actually had a suite - it was huge but kind of a quirky layout and feel (and it was still the least expensive hotel we stayed in). We were on the city view side - would have been nicer to have a river view (they were full so could not change). Staff could not have been nicer. It is surrounded by people living on the river and while it felt a little daunting when we walked at night about a mile down the road to a restaurant, there was nothing but smiles from people we passed and not even one of the many dogs growled. In fact throughout Myanmar, I never felt any hint of concern about crime or saw anything that made me concerned about safety.

Room Tip: Try to get a room on the river side - prettier view and might be a little quieter.
1  Thank bobandrewsjr
Reviewed November 28, 2012

So I'll just copy what I wrote there:

I'm confused by the reviews here. Folks, we're talking about a room that's $46 a night -- which is even more of a bargain in Myanmar, where prices skew high.

I stayed there for three days in late November and was very pleasantly surprised. The room was spotless and pleasant, and the roof deck is FANTASTIC. Loved happy hour, with free cocktails generously passed out on the roof, and breakfast was excellent. I stayed at a few very cheap hotels in Asia and this was probably the best. Yes, my room overlooked a second-floor storage area loaded with car parts, but ignoring that there was also a great view of Mandalay.

The only even slightly negative thing I can say about the Ayarwaddy is that it's not in a tourist zone. The surrounding streets are full of markets and craziness and squalor (though my room was blissfully silent). Walking anywhere from the hotel, you're engulfed in this -- which will either thrill you or scare you or (most probably) both. Me, I wouldn't have it any other way: a friend stayed at the Hotel By The Red Canal, paying probably five times what we paid, and I felt bad for her. Give me real life and adventure over upscale sterility any day.

Reviewed November 28, 2012

3  Thank RomanHans1
Reviewed November 27, 2012

This hotel was one of the most disappointing places in Myanmar we were this november. Y
ou think you have river view but end up looking at ugly backyard buildings
from a very small room.
I wouldn't go back there.
Just in front of the hotel the third world is at your feet!

Room Tip: Take the best room=probably the most expensive
1  Thank huubj
Reviewed November 15, 2012

Well kempt hotel with nice river and city views. Stayed 1 night. Tasty rooftop breakfast and dinner. Staff was helpful and reliable to book cabs in advance or keep our room booking. Although we arrived late and had not paid for the booking, they had kept our room which is not always the case in Myanmar.
Rooms are comfortable and clean.
Location is on the west side of the city, about 1.5km North of the boat jetty, since we arrived there. A walk to the central palace will take about 1 hour. Upon departure, the hotel booked a cab for 13,000 Kyatt for airport transfer.

Reviewed November 12, 2012

We didn't stay at the Hotel, we had lunch at the rooftop bar. The view was spectacular, we watched the workings of the River and have decided to take a cruise on the Ayarwaddy River.
The food was great as was all the staff. The hotel is a little out of town, would need to catch taxi's to central Mandalay. Great stop for the view and food. Enjoyed it all.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple