“Good alt to ET hotel w same budget rates”
Review of Nylon Hotel

Nylon Hotel
Ranked #39 of 110 Hotels in Mandalay
SF, California
“Good alt to ET hotel w same budget rates”
Reviewed April 8, 2013

Just down the street from ET Hotel. We found the rooms were basic but clean w hot water, unlike ET. Breakfast is included but is served on the top floor with no lift. Staff was helpful and friendly. Hotel is located on a busy street corner, so the rooms in the front can be noisy.
Mandalay itself is a big city that tends to be hot, dusty and dirty, w crazy traffic but close to many interesting sites. This hotel is centrally located for visiting those sites.
There is a serious shortage of budget rooms in Mandalay, so we felt lucky to find one available at Nylon. Last Dec. there was so much demand that they would not take reservations and would only accept walk in business.

Room Tip: Rooms in the rear of building have less street noise No accessible rooms / no lift
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (15)
  • Thai first
Cologne, Germany
Reviewed April 2, 2013

After two nights at the rather upscale River View hotel I stayed a night at the Nylon before moving on. I suppose few people will be really enthusuastic about this place, however, it's not bad, either. Efficient management, acceptable rooms with a slightly shabby feel, not exactly cheap, but then, what is, in Mandalay? The location is a matter of taste. It's central, so there are some decent and affordable places to grab a bite and a drink pretty much around the corner, however, you'll run into a bunch of people trying to sell you something because you are a tourist which did not happen to me even once at my previous location near the river.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank RobertLockwoodJr
Darlington, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 1, 2013

Where should I start when reviewing the Nylon hotel, I arrived and at check in was ignored by the manager until he decided he felt like acknowledging me, when he did it turned out he was quite friendly, another guy carried my bags upstairs room seemed adequate at first glance. About thirty minutes later I went down stairs got my passport back and the manager asked if I could pay for my whole stay, I did.

Since the second my money hit his palm I've had nothing but nastiness and attitude from him. It started when I asked where I could hire a bike, he tutted and pointed at the door. Went out got a bike and came back, I had no intention of cycling that evening but wanted the bike so I could set off at 5am the following morning, I asked if I could bring the bike indoors so that it was safe, reply NO, thinking it might be because He didn't want the wheels on his floor, I could have turned it upside down but NO, just difficult for the sake of being difficult. Then I went upstairs to put my laptop on charge only to find that none of the sockets in my room worked, took it to reception asked if it could be plugged in, snatched it from my hand, tutted again and muttered something in Burmese. Later that evening I took a shower only one of the taps worked so I figured it must be cold water only switched it on and after a couple of minutes scalding hot water shot out, turned out it was hot water only, back down stairs mentioned to the manager that I only seemed to have hot water, Only to find myself been shouted at "YOU DON'T KNOW HOW TO WORK SHOWER'. Member of staff came up also couldn't switch on the cold tap went off to wrap some material around his hands and with brute force managed to get me cold water. Next issue was when I realised I had virtually no kyat and needed to get dinner, since the banks were closed this vile man knew I had no choice so offered me a rate 15% below the official rate when he saw my facial expression he just said I help you you need money, when what he was actually doing was taking advantage. I've been fortunate enough over the last decade to have been all over the world and have very rarely met such a rude unpleasant sorry excuse of a human being. I know we all have off days but from reading other reviews it seems like this man gets a kick out of being nasty to people, just unbelievable.

The rooms is ok although the bathroom has an odd smell, and the air con when its working omits a musty odour, the mattress is soft and lumpy.

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE IF YOU ARE COMING TO MANADALAY DO NOT REWARD THIS AWFUL MANS BEHAVIOUR BY GIVING HIM YOUR MONEY, STAY ELSE WHERE.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled solo

Travelers are raving about these Mandalay hotels

Lincoln, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 14, 2013

We arrived in Mandalay at about 19:30 on the ferry from Bagan. There was limited choice when it came to budget hotels and this was the third attempt to find somewhere.
The rooms were smelly and dirty. It’s uncertain how many people had used the bedclothes since they were last washed but I would guess at more than half a dozen. The air conditioning was on but failed to reduce the temperature in the room to under 35° thankfully the fan worked (I could tell it was working because of the noise it made). However, the shower was awesome – industrial in strength and as hot or cold as you like – just as well given that you are washing away the smells of previous guests as well as your own!
Breakfast was reasonable and the staff were quite friendly and helpful. I would never recommend this place and wouldn’t use it again, given a choice.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
Hue, Vietnam
Reviewed March 5, 2013

We have been travelling for 3 months in South East Asia. We spent 3 weeks in Myanmar and traveled to lots of different cities. All the hotels we stayed at were $30. For this we got a double room with bathroom and breakfast. For the most part, the hotels were crappy. There is no way they were worth $30 per night. I am including this paragraph as a preface to each of my Myanmar hotel reviews.

As for the Nylon hotel:

PROS: -The location is OK; it is walking distance from the main market and a really good Chapati stand (only at night, across from the ET hotel) and walking distance from the edge of the palace.

- When the wifi works it is decent. When the AC works it is decent.
-You can organize tours from here like the boat trip to Bagan (ours took 14 hours!) and tours in the area.
- Breakfast is ok: 1 egg (I suggest you request boiled because everything else is VERY greasy)
3 pieces of white toast, tea/coffee and a banana. They provide something that might resemble Jam, but I have no idea what it is. It is sweet but not spreadable, so fairly useless.

CONS:
-The place is on a busy intersection, and is very loud at all times of the day and night.
-The manager/owner Mr. Mihn is unhelpful and frequently seems put out by his guests. He seemed to think he was doing us a big favour when we asked for things (Like soap and toilet paper!). His attitude is particularly unusual in Myanmar because people generally are so nice and friendly. He seems to just want to collect as much money as he can with the least work possible. As such, you can't really trust any sort of tour or ride he arranges for you. This is particularly true for cab/tuk-tuk rides. If you arrange it through him, he apparently gets a kickback (which would be fine if he were up front about it, but he isn't). For example, if you ask him if there are other travellers to share costs.on rides (we asked to share a cab to the boat dock for the Bagan boat and he said no one else was going that day, but it turned out that there were at least eight other people from our hotel that he personally sold tours on the boat that day),. he will always say that they aren't when he certainly knows that there are. It seems the more cabs he can book, the more money he gets as kickbacks. We asked to share a cab to the airport he said it was 5000 Kyat per person but we knew a private cab is 10 to 12000 kyat that will take 4 people. As we were leaving for the airport we saw other people going and shared a 12000 kyat cab with them - a cab that they had already booked through Mr. Minh.
- The facilities are very very old. The sheets are worn thin, the bathroom is mildewy and smells, and the "shower" drips all night long.
-Power can go out every 10 minutes at night (which is a problem generally throughout Myanmar and especially in Mandalay), and while there is a generator for back up it does not keep the AC running. This is problematic when the temperature is 34'C at night.

Overall I would say this was a poor experience. Given our other experiences in SE Asia, this hotel should have cost about $6. Hotel owners seem to think they can keep raising the prices and not do anything to maintain the properties (and they can). Generally, accommodation in Myanmar was a rip off. With that said, this was one of the worst hotels we have been in 3 months of travelling, but with only a very limited number of hotels, you might feel lucky to get a space there. And, that's what Mr. Minh and the Nylon Hotel are counting on. If you find yourself stuck here, make sure you have earplugs, and get your tours/taxis elsewhere.

Room Tip: Try and get one away from the noise that does not smell of mildew. Be prepared to walk up many sets...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Darwin
Reviewed February 27, 2013

We stayed in two of the basic rooftop rooms of the hotel. This means five flights of stairs but the friendly staff will take your bags up and down for you. It is a long way up though if you forget your camera as we did.....The room was small & we moved the table & chair outside for extra space however we had our own balcony to view Mandalay along with the staff laundry. The bathroom was very small but clean & adequate & the hot water was excellent. The breakfast is served on the 4th floor & was very good. As we were to learn, decent cheap accommodation is hard to come by in Myanmar so the Nylon Hotel was good value for the price.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank CricketGirlDarwin
Tokyo, Japan
Reviewed February 25, 2013

I think they are putting up the price weekly here, $35 where it should be $10.
very steep stairs, wafer thin room, power went out every 5 minutes. Money exchange was the worst in Myanmar. The shower and the ac just about worked but it was all very old

It is in a central location and friendly staff but very much backpacker standard. Just about acceptable if you just need some where to crash for a night. Keep you expectations low

Room Tip: lower floors as no elevater
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends