“Average with clean room”
Review of ET Hotel

ET Hotel
Ranked #19 of 61 Mandalay B&B and Inns
“Average with clean room”
Reviewed May 16, 2013 via mobile

Stayed here for 2 nights, popular hotel for backpackers as its $20 for a single room aircon fan tv , power constantly out but that Mandalay , the generator kicks in and the fan and light works,try get a room down stairs as the steps are made for size 4 shoes and steep, very basic breakfast served in the morning, better than nothing ,overall this is a good option if your on a back packer budget , try avoid the tour guy, nice man but very pushy haha

Stayed May 2013, traveled solo
2 Thank Martinzivic

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (21)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Thai first
Bangkok
Reviewed May 14, 2013

I stayed in room 300, a single for 20USD. Room had been recently renovated and was spotlessly clean. Bed was good and I probably had my best sleep during my whole travels in Myanmar here! Aircon worked most of the time (there were daily powercuts for 10-20 mins) and so did the wifi on this floor. Connection was the best I got in Myanmar.

I was particularly happy that they let me check in at 5am (after arriving on the night bus from Inle lake) for no extra charge. Breakfast was average, but I didn't expect much anyway.

While I was staying there, they were doing all sorts of renovations (painting etc.) and there was a big stack of brand new mattresses sitting on the hallway.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled solo
Vienna, Austria
Reviewed May 12, 2013

Staying at ET Hotel for two nights in March I would like to point out that the hotel is better than most reviews on tripavdisor suggest. My room (25 USD for a single) seemed to have been renovated recently, was pretty clean and the bed was comfy. Staff was very helpful and friendly (carried up my backpack to the third floor), the only downturn for me was the breakfast (nice service, but the usual "toast with margarine - bananas - coffeeortea") and thus I decided to get my own breakfast at one of the street stalls on the second morning. Aircon worked fine, the bathroom was clean, hot water was running and at the lobby's blackboard were a couple of travel tips to get from A to B.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled solo
Mechelen
Reviewed May 10, 2013

We stayed here for 3 nights. Chinese owner, very friendly and a real business man.
Rooftop rooms with chared badrooms are very nice although 5 floors without elevator is hard work when it's 40 degrees.
Matrasses on the bed are of very poor quality.

Room Tip: Matrasses should be replaced.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank moni_vedebe11
Paris
Reviewed May 10, 2013

A Bagan tour agency booked a taxi for my arrival in Mandalay as i was not due to arrive until long after sunset. I was met at the ferry pier by Min and his moto taxi. Min took me to the ET. Like all things in Myanmar it's a little rundown, but great value, friendly staff and on the right side of town. Just around the corner are some great Shan restaurants and beer stations. Min showed me his city over the next three days. Felt like a local, and avoided the "taxes". Truly some of the best days of my journey were spent at the ET.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank ParisRicky
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed May 8, 2013

We stayed here for a few nights in March. We arrived from a long bus trip at 4 in the morning and after knocking on the door for a good 20 minutes, we were let in by the night porter. Thankfully we had called ahead and he had a room waiting for us.
The room was quite old and half of the paint was coming away from the walls but we had stayed in worse! We got some sleep and went down to reception at 10am to register and pay for a few nights. We were greeted by a guy who started to tell us that he would organise our time in Mandalay and would out some day tours together for us. I politely refused and said that we had just got to town and wanted to see what there was to do and see what other people had to say as hotels are usually over priced Vs other companies.
We went out for the day and returned at around 5pm to be greeted by the same guy who got quite angry at my girlfriend that we had not booked a tour through him. There was about 5 guys behind the desk, chewing gum, with their feet up that made it feel quite thuggish. I stepped in to remind him that we were the customers and we could book with who we liked and left it at that.
We would have changed hotels as the atmosphere was not great as they gave us dirty looks every time we came in and out of the hotel but they insisted that we pay for the full term when checking in.
We spent a month in Myanmar and he was the only rude, aggressive, pushy person we came across in the whole of the country.

Room Tip: Do not book any tours through him - over priced
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Pushkar
Reviewed April 30, 2013

In a city (Mandalay) where finding accommodation is becoming increasingly difficult and expensive, we felt lucky to have found E.T. hotel. The staff were very helpful and accommodating, trying to find solutions for any problem. They were also very knowledgeable about activities in the area and arranging transport and onward help. Breakfast wasn't great -always the same two pieces of untoasted toast and bananas - but at least it was included. In some parts of the hotel wifi worked well. very good restaurant and cafe just round the corner. We enjoyed our stay here.

Room Tip: We stayed in a rooftop room with shared bathroom and enjoyed being up here - felt we had the whole...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple