“Lovely holiday but disappointing end”

Thalassa Sousse Resort & Aquapark
Ranked #14 of 36 Hotels in Sousse
Reviewed July 23, 2013

We arrived at Thalassa at the beginning of July for 2 weeks. Our initial thoughts were that the hotel was lovely with a nice modern reception and friendly staff, when we got to the room it was clear that it was in need of modernising but it did not bother us as we did not plan to spend much time in the room.
The breakfast buffet offers a wide variety of food, lunch and dinner were disappointing but having stayed in All Inclusive resorts before we knew what to expect. The English restaurant was better and when we spoke to the chef and said what food we missed (bacon) he ordered it. The waiters in the restaurants were brilliant, always remembering our drink choices and often having them ready on the table before we sat down (tipping them helps a lot).
The animation team were brilliant, Kiko, Tedo and Gogo being our favourites, my 7 year olds face would light up when Gogo came over to speak to him and involve him in water polo. They all work extremely hard and provide entertainment throughout the day and night. They occasionally ask to get them a drink but honestly who can blame them working in 35+ degrees heat, it's not so often it becomes an nuisance.

Bad points
The bed was like sleeping on a concrete floor, both me and my husband would wake up numerous times throughout the night as we would be in some discomfort. They need to get better mattresses.
Often the maid would forget to leave towels and toilet roll, and the room was not particularly clean. When using the shower no matter what I did the floor would be flooded but that was a minor inconvenience.
On our final day I was happy to say that we would return until I found some items missing from our room. I had packed the suitcases of our clothing and left a "do not disturb" sign on the door so the maid did not come in and move the suitcases. When I went to get ready to go home I discovered makeup had gone missing from my suitcase that day. I made a complaint to the management, who were very understanding, the immediately spoke and searched the maid finding my makeup. Needless to say she was fired and the police called. It was only when I got home that I found clothes missing. We put our phones, money, iPad, passports and all other items expected to be stolen in the safe (which you have to pay for), I shouldn't have to put ALL my belongings in the safe to stop maids stealing from me. It was a very disappointing end to the holiday.

7  Thank Michelle T
Write a ReviewReviews (1,341)

Reviewed July 23, 2013

Very clean hotel and although the rooms( air con) were basic, they were cleaned everyday with clean sheets and towels. Would have been nice to have been given a map/plan of the hotel as its a big area to find your way around. Very friendly staff, but some male staff were too friendly and can make you feel very uncomfortable for a woman ...they dont understand no, or go away, literally..... Entertainment team never stop smiling, singing, dancing and have a full agenda of activities all day 24/7. Amazing guys especially KIKI,, a STAR! Only caution if you take teenagers with you, be careful, because they will be served alcohol, smokng ,nightclubs etc etc and for a parent of 16 years olds, it was hard to monitor. Found that some of the pictures taken by the in-house photographers a little bit sleazy. Chef David was really friendly and such a hard worker, at the British restaurant and Dadi was a gentleman waiter/manager. Would have liked more authentic food in the other restaurants, as struggled to book the other restaurants as reception staff were not friendly. Spa is good value but I wasnt told I could choose a female massuer and all I can say is the male massuer proved to be unprofessional and you may get more than you expected with a body massage!
The slides were amazing and the beachfront location was amazing,with loads of choices of water sports. loved it. The bar staff around the pool worked so hard and always smiled, and always kept my glass full, they were amazing. Overall it was definitely value for money, great location, clean and there are some really amazing staff there.

Room Tip: Great beachfront rooms . Go to ATM outside hotel for currency as better rate than reception. They do...
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled with friends
2  Thank 600Nikki
Reviewed July 22, 2013

We stayed at Hotel Thalassa for a week in early July. After seeing all the pictures on Thompson, our first impressions of the lobby exceeded my expectations however, after moving rooms 3 times due to hairs, dirty bed-sheets and a temperamental air con machine, my view of the hotel had changed. I'd have to say the bedrooms are the worst part of the hotel, but with the lovely weather we didn't have to spend much time in them, so it didn't bother us too much. Although with only one plug socket in the bedroom, keeping all electrics charged and working became a slight problem.

Besides the bedroom we had a really lovely trip, plenty of options for breakfast, lunch and dinner, as well as snacks available nearly all the time. Upon our arrival at the hotel we we're told that a late breakfast run's in the main buffet between 10am and 11am. After the first half of the week (once the hotel was quieter) it was clear late breakfast was finishing at 10.30 with hardly any choice of food. But when we did manage to make normal breakfast, the variety-like with all meals- was massive, ranging from local dishes to continental to cooked in front of you fish and eggs. Often found with lunch and dinner that the quality of meat was lacking. Spent a lot of time picking out bones, fat and gristle. But the chef's did their best with what the hotel offered them.

Our No1 choice to eat each dinner time was often the English restaurant, in which a fabulous Chef David cooks up an array of traditionally English meals. The only fault we could give would be that the hotel needs to give Chef David slightly move flexibility with what he can cook and planning a menu for the future week.

The hotel offers 3 pools, (including an indoor one), a children's pool, and also multiple water slides. With the hotel being on the beach we hand plenty of choice's for a nice cool dip!

The entertainment team host a wide variety of activities during the day and shows during the evenings. Friendly staff that clearly love their jobs, however often felt comfortable due to the high levels of leering from majority of male staff members, despite girls being with partners or not. As a couple we found this very disrespectful.

The hotel has 3 bars within the main complex, however the pool bar often seemed slightly dirty and alcoholic drinks appear watered down and weak.

My boyfriend and I got a couples massage, absolutely amazing! For the price we paid it works out so cheap in sterling but a gorgeous massage. Very relaxing!! The spa within the hotel offers many treatments and very friendly staff. Lovely experience! 100% recommend!

Although we had an amazing week away I feel that we could have found us a nicer holiday package for the price we paid.

Would recommend for a family as plenty of things to keep the children entertained!!

Room Tip: Don't book a sea view, out room was upgraded to sea view after we moved rooms 3 times. Our '...
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Zoe C
Reviewed July 22, 2013

we have just returned from the thalassa hotel and the first thing we cn say is we have had by far the best holiday. we read many bad reviews about this hotel and the animation team after booking this hotel back in may but i can honestly say there isnt a bad word myself or my wife could say about the hotel itself or the staff.
we arrived early hours the monday morning and we were greeted with a very warm welcome by the reception staff, looked after from there onwards for the rest of our stay.
overall the hotel was clean, tidy and well looked after we could tell the staff aimed to look after each and every guest.
we would like to thank all the staff of the hotel for making our hotel one to remember. we have made many friends from nazir who looked after us the whole two in the main resturant and set a high standard for overs to follow. he is a very kind hearted man who deserves to be thanked and known to others as a wondefull hard working waiter.
the waiters at the pool bar also looked after us and again i would like to thank them all they are all lovely anf very friendly people.
moving on to the best part of the holiday, the animation team! they were fantastic, i cant thank them enough for intertaining us and keeping us smiling all day every day. they are a fantastic team and all work well together. we built a special relationship with gogo, rabbie, kiki and didou who are absolutley brilliant with not only the children but the adults too.we all really miss these guys especially our son logan. we cant thank them enough for making ur holiday perfect. so i would like to say a massive thank you to all the staff, the thompson team and most of all the animation team. we are already looking to come back next so we hope to see them all again. once again thank you gogo, rabbie, kiki and didou.
you wont regret visting this place or these wonerful people.
( from matthew, nikita and logan )

3  Thank matthewnikita1
Reviewed July 22, 2013

Me and my partner stayed at hotel Thalassa for 2weeks starting on the 8th July 2013. We have gone All inclusive for the last 5 years to various country's.

BAD POINTS

No clothes draws, 1 Cupboard with 4 coat hangers.
Shower curtain too short, flooded the bathroom.
1 Plug socket in the whole room, used by the TV.
Air conditioning broke pretty much everyday.
Black Mould was growing on the wall by the Air conditioning machine.
Do not disturb door hangers are NOT adhered to. (Cleaners)
Food was very repetitive and not always hot.

GOOD POINTS

Hotel grounds were very clean
Water slides are great fun.
Animation team/Life guards/staff were mostly friendly.
Beach was clean and the water was lovely.
Plenty of water sports available.
Pool area is immaculate.
Plenty of sun beds all day.

Although there a good and bad points about this hotel there are a few issues that need to be sorted. Firstly we had £100 stolen out of our suitcase. We met 2 English couples out there, one of which had a dress stolen out of their case on the last day. Presumably the housekeeping staff as maintenance do not have access to keys. The evening shows are basic but ok to watch as there is absolutely nothing to do in the evenings in or outside of the hotel grounds. There are literally 3 shops which all sell the same "Genuine fakes" and food...there is literally nothing else to do. You can get a taxi to Port el Kantaoui which should cost you no more than 5 dinar to get there. its about 10minutes down the road. its quite nice if you want to get out for a walk around the marina and take a break from the hotel.

THINGS I WOULD RECCOMEND

Locking all your money and expensive goods in your case EVERYTIME you leave your room without fail. Our maid would come into our room and clean whether the do not disturb sign was on the door or not.

Thank you to the Thompson reps CHLOE and MARK (aka Louis) who were more than helpful with all of our query's or problems. Also thank you to KIKI...DIDO AND DODO, CRAZIEST ANIMATION TEAM EVER.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
4  Thank Lewis M
Reviewed July 22, 2013

Just returned from a week at the thalassa sousse ,
GREAT HOTEL !!!!!
Me and my daughter loved this place, freindly staff always on hand to help,pools were brilliant very clean and always something going on, lots of water slides and activities going on.
food was good and plenty of but after a week would prob start to get bored of it, 4 restaurants pool bar, beach bar, and a main bar.
The beer seemed a bit weak but was ok and plenty of, red wine and shorts good and strong !!!
The beach was clean and the sunbeds were free !!! BONUS
room was slightly dated but kept very clean !! and was done every day, air con in room was great really cold and you need it caus it was so hot 40deg !!!
We paid 340 pound each with thomson late deal, transfers and baggage which for time of year and all inc i thought was good.
All in all great holiday and would go back. !!!

2  Thank CHRIS123Lancashire
Reviewed July 21, 2013 via mobile

We stayed at hotel Thalassa from the 10th of July until the 17th of July and my only regret is booking a weeks holiday instead of a two week holiday.

Their are some good points and bad points to this hotel.

Bad points:

The rooms looked completely different to thompsons pictures, small things let the room down like the 2 hard single beds pushed together to make a double or the shower curtain that is too short for the bath leaving the bath room flooded all the time etc.

The pool floor was sometimes a little dirty but I think that's because people come straight from the beach and jump in when they are all sandy.

The cups where tiny, it was so ridiculous some of them where like shots, you'd finish your drink before you had got back to your seat, and the alcohol quality is poor and seriously watered down.

Having one plug in the room was an absolute night mare as we had many electrical appliances such as phones, iPad, straighteners etc..

People on the beach where constantly going on and on trying to sell you fruit and head scarfs and god knows what else, they never took no for an answer and where really annoying, we found it hard to get a moments peace with them around which is why we only spent one day their and the rest of the time we was at the pool which is a shame as the beach is beautiful and has a lovely little snack bar.

Good points:

The hotel and grounds where tidy and immaculately clean.

The staff and I mean everyone, reception, cleaners bar staff animation and everyone else where amazing, so happy, so kind, so helpful and it was Ramadan when we went too so it was a very hard time for them but they never let it show they worked bloody hard.

Animation team where amazing and made the whole holiday for me, I will be back to thalassa time and time again for as long as they are their. They work extremely hard, very long hours but they never show it, they genuinely love their jobs, love entertaining and making people happy and the hotel are very lucky to have them as they are the main asset of the hotel. Myself, my partner and our friends built up a great relationship with them, Kiki, go go, and dido In particular. It makes me so angry so see people slating Kiki on here because he is one in a million and lives to make people happy, even on his day off he was still helping out and working hard to entertain all of the guests. He is energetic enthusiastic, caring funny and great at his job. And we can't wait to see him when we come back in October :) I hope the animation team get the chance to read this review as they deserve huge recognition of how hard they work and to know how much people love and appreciate them.

They have a great variety of restaurants and snack bars which a great selection of food from all countries and they also have an English restaurant with a lovely English chef (David) which was heaven especially when you get half way through the week and your missing food from home, ie; mixed grill, roast dinner etc!

The pools where big and the new water park was fantastic they have got slides for everyone. Whether your an adrenaline junky like myself or like to stick to slower slides like my partner this water park will have a slide for you.

The life guards where always Alert and on Hand and very fun and the kids club and children's water park looked fab too.

All in all this was the best holiday I've had and we have been to many 5* resorts.

Don't let bad reviews put you off or scare you like they did us because I promise you that you have nothing to worry about.

This hotel will be. 4* + by next year and I can't wait to go back :)

Love Sarah and Matt

• Stayed: August 2012
3  Thank Sarah H
Also consider these accommodations in or near Sousse
JAZ Tour Khalef Thalasso & Spa
#8 of 36 in Sousse
Seabel Alhambra Beach Golf & Spa
Seabel Alhambra Beach Golf & Spa
#4 of 33 in Port El Kantaoui

Been to Thalassa Sousse Resort & Aquapark? Share your experiences!