1,426 results
All reviews aqua park main pool bad reviews fantastic holiday animation team are bungalow tip tunisia
Reviewed August 28, 2012

well i was not looking forward to this holiday with all its bad reviews, well here goes , we arrived early hrs of the morning , a famly of 7 two of which our kids , was told to fill in forms and go get a drink and come in half hour , we all said no just needed our rooms all tired , the man behind the desk was very rude , so after just standing our ground we got our wrist bands put on and then told only 2 of our rooms were ready other being cleaned .. with this another couple who arrived at same time as us came storming in wanting there room changed as not cot for there baby and cockcroer fell out there wardrobe but all the man said was sleep in it .. about another half hour or so a man came to get our bags still no key for our room , so we all went to the bungolows 360 . 361.363. when we got there man just coming out of ours , rooms ok not the best seeing it should be 4 star , .. half painted and and dusty ,,
we got up and had a walk round all seems very nice lots of people out cleaning , went to breakfast u could find something but seeing there our only 100 britts there they do cater more for the russains and germans , .. luuch time and evening meal poor fatty bits of meat , cold chips , thou pasta and pizza everyday but after 5 days it gets boring so we had to eat out a few times , the best bar was the pool bar all the guys on day shift and evening shift were great never had a empty glass always happy to see us thou i think the tips helpped with that . the pools our great and the slides , the beach lovely and shallow like a warm bath , the food at the beach bar was the best place to eat in the day the manager really looked after us ... the evening were boring they need to get outside shows in ,a nd the thearter is so not comfy need to do it round the pool bar etc ...
ROOMS ... cleaned everyday well beds made and swept thats it ,,
FOOD... fatty bits of meat . cold , cater for everyone bar the english ,
POOLS... very big cleaned once in two wks , need to buy new beds as all ripped or broken ,
STAFF.. all dinning room and bar staff lovely thou it helps if you tip , staff at the desk rude and need to smile , on site shop lovely friendly but over priced ,
in all this is not a 4 star hotel more like a 3 star , would never go back here or book with thompson again .

2  Thank dinky71
Reviewed August 10, 2012

Just returned from our family holiday/honeymoon at the Thalassa Sousse on 9 August. I will try and briefly review it as honestly as possible! We did enjoy ourselves but with reservations.

Initial impression was good, reception staff friendly, main areas spacious, light and airy. We were shown to our room (which turned out to be the first of three!) and this wasn't so great. In a dark corridor located directly behind the pool snack bar so it smelt of grease/food and there was a very noisy door which slammed every time someone went through it. Seemed to be a lot of noisy people staying in this bit! We asked to be changed after a few days of hoping it would get better and were given two bungalow rooms in the gardens, well away from the pools which were lovely and quiet but the air conditioning and showers didn't work. They did come to fix both problems quickly and we were assured that they were sorted out, but on returning at nearly midnight we discovered they weren't and that our air con was fixed on 30 degrees! So, we changed again (again easily done) and were given adjoining rooms in the large block near reception. These were great and we stayed there for the rest of the holiday. There are some cockroaches there but this didn't bother us too much - at the end of the day it's Africa and they have bugs!

Pools were nice but I think they have extended the hotel and forgotten about supplying extra sunbeds and parasols. There was a constant fight to get both and we found ourselves having to get up really early to put towels out, something which we hate to do :-( People were lying on the grass areas as there wasn't enough space. The large pool is VERY noisy during the daytime with the activities that they do and we spent our two weeks at the smaller relax pool. They also have very late night volleyball on a Monday night so be warned!

Beach is fine, lots of water sports, parascending etc that can be done and it's shallow quite a way out.

The staff are lovely, can't do enough to help you, especially with a tip at the beginning of the holiday! We received a constant supply of drinks both around the pool from the beach bar and in the evenings from the main pool bar. One of the waiters in the main buffet restaurant would save us a table every night which was great........but this leads me on to the food.....

So, the food isn't dreadful, you won't starve, but it's really not good. I am someone who will always try new food and doesn't expect British food when abroad, but I really struggled to find anything to eat on several evenings. The meat is poor quality, lots of bones and gristle, some of the foods are really off putting just from looking at them and the smell. The "a la carte" restaurants - well they do try but again it's not great. We tried International, which was ok, fish which was risky, and Tunisian, which was really bad. Yes they do fresh pizza and pasta every lunchtime and evening but you soon get fed up of cheese and tomato.

Drinks are ok, again not great quality but to be expected.

Bear in mind that this hotel caters very much for the Europeans, out of just over 1000 guests there were barely 100 English there, lots of Russians, Polish, German and French, so if you don't like sharing your holiday with rude people don't go here!

Entertainment was ok, bit repetitive but again the animation team try very hard. They don't hassle you too much which is great but watch out for the tour sellers as they can be a total pain the neck!

I like to lose weight but not on holiday! We all suffered a little from upset stomachs but I genuinely don't think this was the food, much the heat etc. We certainly weren't ill with it.

We spoke to several other couples/families from different places whilst we were there and I think they all shared my opinion of the hotel. They really do try but just not enough.

Would I return to Tunisia? Yes, definitely. To the Thalassa Sousse, definitely not,

Room tip: Rooms 134/135 or thereabouts aren't good as near the snack bar. Rooms 3015 and the like in the large block but newer. Rooms go from 100 up to 600 the closer to the beach you get.
1  Thank ClaireHGosport
Reviewed August 6, 2012

Just come back from weeks holiday here (29th July to 6th August 2012) and we all had great time. Hotel rooms (we had a bungalow) are I admit basic but perfectly adequate. There were 2 three quarter beds pushed together for myself and Jane (that was huge) and single bed for our son. Showers etc worked great and rooms cleaned daily with cleam towels. Pools are superb and clean (the main one is huge). Beach spotless, good soft sand and sea very warm and clean. Food was excellent (ignore the moaning Brits on here) plenty of choice every day and something for everyone at all meal times. Staff excellent throughout and with small tips were even better. Only 2 moans really and that was staff at snack bar were very slow in serving you, and the queues at pool bar (only one man allowed to serve) so had to wait long time to get served.
Entertainment during day and night very good. Hotel ideally situated close to Sousse and Port El Kantoui, both only 10 minute taxi drive. Didn't do any trips as only there for week and was our relaxing holiday. Would recommend this hotel anytime - we really enjoyed it. If you want English food then stay at home !!

Room tip: Dont't stay in rooms that are in blocks - get a bungalow
6  Thank Graham W
Reviewed August 5, 2012

This hotel is definitely not a 4* hotel, the food was unbelievable bad, on the second night I can only described what was served in the "fish" restaurant as a pile of sick on a plate and it smelt like it as well. Now I do not expect British food aboard and I've stayed in plenty of hotels where the food is different but it has been edible, the food here on most occasions was not. The service was appalling, on one night we wait for over an hour between the first and second course and when the second course arrived the smell was so bad we got up and left, every time we went to the "specialist" restaurant someone including ourselves got up and walked out, and that is not only the Brits.

When we went to the BBQ restaurant on the beach we were told we were not allowed any BBQ fish or Chicken!!! The next day when we asked for it again the waiter stood there mocking us, laughing saying chicken chicken, chicken over and over again, 45 minutes later it had still not arrived, we gave up. How rude, it might sound funny but seriously what sort of customer service is that!? What a way to treat your customers, we were not rude at all, were we’re polite throughout even with the poor service. The cutlery was dirty & often requests were ignored.

Thomson have told us it’s a great hotel it’s been rated at 67% satisfaction, if that’s what Thomson think is great I’m not sure I think much of their values or aspirations for their business or clients, we will definitely not be booking any more holidays with them in the future.

There were various stories of inadequate standards of the rooms and the maintenance, one couple with a young daughter had no shower facilities, the maintenance crew turned up at 10pm to fix it, waking their daughter up.

On arrival our bath was filthy, the bottom of the bath was grey and there was brown something spewed up the tiles, we have no idea what it was but even after the cleaners coming the following day at 9:30pm, they had not touched the tiles and we had to clean it off ourselves. The bottom of the bath was now clean but they had not touched the sides and the was a thick dirty scum line all the way round the bath, the whole room felt dirty, I didn’t want to sleep or wash in the room but had no choice, I wore flip flops in the bath in the end so I could keep myself away from the dirt as much as possible.

On our 5th night there on returning from the beach I walked into the room and the metal vent for the air conditioning came crashing down, narrowly missing my head, it was heavy and if it had hit me I would have been in hospital with a very serious head injury, when my boyfriend took the vent to the reception, all they said was room 141!? No we were in room 179, the following day the vent had been put back, with the plaster around it cracked, basically is had been shoved back in, I hope it doesn’t now fall onto someone and actually cause an injury.

The shower curtain old and stained, the room and building itself was old and grimy, it did not feel like luxury in any way, now if this had been badge as a 3 star hotel then I would not have expected anymore but this hotel is masquerading as something more than it is and the price therefore is not a good comparison in relation to the holiday experience.

What sealed the deal on this holiday with Thomson was the Sahara experience advertised on their website, we booked our holiday in March, on arrival in June we were told the excursion had been stopped back in the previous year 2011, we were really disappointed, how if the excursion had been stopped so long ago could it still be advertised as a feature of the overall holiday experience, we do not just feel let down by Hotel itself but also Thomson and the overall feel of grabbing as many customers with no care for the consequences of the holiday experience.

We were not the only ones complaining, this was seen every night in the food hall and also around the pool during the day, the quality was terrible.

To top the whole experience off our room faced the neighbouring hotel that blasted music until midnight each night, I’m all for people having fun, but our doors were shut the air con was on and we still felt like we ourselves were in the middle of a rave it was that loud.

Moral of the story, go adults only hotel, don’t book with Thomson holiday they don’t care about your holiday experience, and get ear plugs just in case.

I would just like to say we went on a 2 day excursion into the Sahara (a different one from advertised) the holiday guide, a local was the best holiday guide I have ever experienced, he was absolutely fantastic, he made up for all of the aboard, maybe Thomson should take a leaf out of his book in how to treat their customers, the food, the local authentic food was outstanding and it was a beautiful once in a life time experience, but none of this was thanks to the hotel or Thomson themselves. Maybe the hotel needs to stop trying to recreate foreign foods and stick to what they know best, the food in the desert was gorgeous.

Room tip: Don't go to this hotel, Tunisia is lovely the hotel is not!
Date of stay: June 2012
  • Trip type: Traveled as a couple
9  Thank Tanya D
Reviewed July 30, 2012

Hotel definatly 3star not 4 food made my whole family ill and others we spoke to. rooms were not cleaned properly. pool was excellent. animation team were fantastic especially coco and bruno they made are holiday fun and enjoyable. the bar staff were very good to mouldi and akram were the best. but sadly would not go back because the food was that bad.

Date of stay: July 2012