1,401 results
All reviewsaqua parkfantastic holidayanimation team arebungalowtiptunisia
Reviewed August 5, 2012

This hotel is definitely not a 4* hotel, the food was unbelievable bad, on the second night I can only described what was served in the "fish" restaurant as a pile of sick on a plate and it smelt like it as well. Now I do not expect British food aboard and I've stayed in plenty of hotels where the food is different but it has been edible, the food here on most occasions was not. The service was appalling, on one night we wait for over an hour between the first and second course and when the second course arrived the smell was so bad we got up and left, every time we went to the "specialist" restaurant someone including ourselves got up and walked out, and that is not only the Brits.

When we went to the BBQ restaurant on the beach we were told we were not allowed any BBQ fish or Chicken!!! The next day when we asked for it again the waiter stood there mocking us, laughing saying chicken chicken, chicken over and over again, 45 minutes later it had still not arrived, we gave up. How rude, it might sound funny but seriously what sort of customer service is that!? What a way to treat your customers, we were not rude at all, were we’re polite throughout even with the poor service. The cutlery was dirty & often requests were ignored.

Thomson have told us it’s a great hotel it’s been rated at 67% satisfaction, if that’s what Thomson think is great I’m not sure I think much of their values or aspirations for their business or clients, we will definitely not be booking any more holidays with them in the future.

There were various stories of inadequate standards of the rooms and the maintenance, one couple with a young daughter had no shower facilities, the maintenance crew turned up at 10pm to fix it, waking their daughter up.

On arrival our bath was filthy, the bottom of the bath was grey and there was brown something spewed up the tiles, we have no idea what it was but even after the cleaners coming the following day at 9:30pm, they had not touched the tiles and we had to clean it off ourselves. The bottom of the bath was now clean but they had not touched the sides and the was a thick dirty scum line all the way round the bath, the whole room felt dirty, I didn’t want to sleep or wash in the room but had no choice, I wore flip flops in the bath in the end so I could keep myself away from the dirt as much as possible.

On our 5th night there on returning from the beach I walked into the room and the metal vent for the air conditioning came crashing down, narrowly missing my head, it was heavy and if it had hit me I would have been in hospital with a very serious head injury, when my boyfriend took the vent to the reception, all they said was room 141!? No we were in room 179, the following day the vent had been put back, with the plaster around it cracked, basically is had been shoved back in, I hope it doesn’t now fall onto someone and actually cause an injury.

The shower curtain old and stained, the room and building itself was old and grimy, it did not feel like luxury in any way, now if this had been badge as a 3 star hotel then I would not have expected anymore but this hotel is masquerading as something more than it is and the price therefore is not a good comparison in relation to the holiday experience.

What sealed the deal on this holiday with Thomson was the Sahara experience advertised on their website, we booked our holiday in March, on arrival in June we were told the excursion had been stopped back in the previous year 2011, we were really disappointed, how if the excursion had been stopped so long ago could it still be advertised as a feature of the overall holiday experience, we do not just feel let down by Hotel itself but also Thomson and the overall feel of grabbing as many customers with no care for the consequences of the holiday experience.

We were not the only ones complaining, this was seen every night in the food hall and also around the pool during the day, the quality was terrible.

To top the whole experience off our room faced the neighbouring hotel that blasted music until midnight each night, I’m all for people having fun, but our doors were shut the air con was on and we still felt like we ourselves were in the middle of a rave it was that loud.

Moral of the story, go adults only hotel, don’t book with Thomson holiday they don’t care about your holiday experience, and get ear plugs just in case.

I would just like to say we went on a 2 day excursion into the Sahara (a different one from advertised) the holiday guide, a local was the best holiday guide I have ever experienced, he was absolutely fantastic, he made up for all of the aboard, maybe Thomson should take a leaf out of his book in how to treat their customers, the food, the local authentic food was outstanding and it was a beautiful once in a life time experience, but none of this was thanks to the hotel or Thomson themselves. Maybe the hotel needs to stop trying to recreate foreign foods and stick to what they know best, the food in the desert was gorgeous.

Room Tip: Don't go to this hotel, Tunisia is lovely the hotel is not!
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple
9  Thank Tanya D
Reviewed July 30, 2012

Hotel definatly 3star not 4 food made my whole family ill and others we spoke to. rooms were not cleaned properly. pool was excellent. animation team were fantastic especially coco and bruno they made are holiday fun and enjoyable. the bar staff were very good to mouldi and akram were the best. but sadly would not go back because the food was that bad.

• Stayed: July 2012
1  Thank bpd9
Reviewed July 27, 2012

11th to 25th July

Just returned from Tunisia and the Thalassa Sousse.
We ( 2 adults and 10 yr old) have had a fab time!
There are many negative reviews about this hotel, especially the food……I really can’t see what they are complaining about! The food was wonderful!
YES….it’s not MacDonald’s or the Royal oak pub…if you want British type food, don’t go to TUNISIA…simple! The additional restaurants that you book into are well worth a visit and a change from the main restaurant. The Beach Barbeque is wonderful!
The staff all work very hard, for very little pay and in difficult conditions. A little tip helps to get better service, especially for drinks by the pool (avoiding queuing) and for a reserved table each evening. 10 dinars at the start and end of your holiday works wonders!
The hotel is a little tired, but the facilities are still great.
The free trip to the Medina and Mosque is good (arrange through the chap at the shop), but the Pirate Ship trip is a rip off!
Local Taxis are really cheap…haggle a price before you get in!
The animation team work tirelessly……but if that’s not your thing you can escape to either the beach or the relaxing pool areas.
The weather is very hot now, especially at night when it becomes muggy and humid, so be warned.
All in all a great holiday and would definitely recommend this place to families.
Kate, Rob & Wesley

Room Tip: Ask for a bungalow!
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
5  Thank Kitty1Uk
Reviewed July 15, 2012

15/7/12 just returned from Thalassa Hotel once again a wonderful holiday, apart from fellow Brits complaining about food!! If they want English food stay in England!! We were really spoiled by all. Fantastic service in all the bars and restaurants and by the guys at the beach, they really made us feel special. Rooms are basic but kept very clean by the girls that work very hard. Pool man makes our day, he is up early to keep it clean, and always has a smile. We are going back again in October and looking forward to seeing everyone again.

Room Tip: bungalow any location is good
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple
4  Thank gary c
Reviewed July 4, 2012

My friends and I stayed at this hotel for a week, and we honestly didn't want to leave after that time.
It's a 4star hotel, and is perhaps not that in British standards in terms of the rooms which are very basic. However, there is nothing left wanting from them: air conditioning, comfy beds, large bathrooms. The shower head would not stay on the wall but all that meant was holding it to wash, which isn't uncommon. Our room faced out to the pool and was a 10 second walk from the main pool and reception area.
The animation team were brilliant and enthusiastic, they try their best to get everyone involved, have a variety of games and activities on offer and if you're not up for it, will leave you be. These guys work all day and then do a dance show at night. The show is not always great but the ones featuring the animation team dancing are good, and they have to cater for all languages. All of them speak English, as well as Arabic, French, German, Polish, Russian etc, and are really great to interact with.
Some people have written about problems with the food, however I didn't have any problems at all. The only problems we found were with our vegetarian friend, as some of the dishes were incorrectly labelled at the buffet but if you ask a waiter then they are very helpful. The food caters for all the european tourists, so includes a lot of food you don't often get in Britain, but if you just want pizza and chips every day, there is that option too. You can also book in to eat at the 'a la carte' restaurant, the tunisian restaurant or beach restaurant all of which are well worth a try. Although we found the service to be quite slow in the 'a la carte' restaurant.
The hotel has loads on offer. In addition to all of the animation team's activities you can go on a trip to the medina (old town) with a member of staff for free- you get taken to a carpet shop and have to sit through all of that first but there is no pressure to buy, once you tell them you're not interested they leave you alone. Then you have an hour or so to wander around on your own. The guide is always around and stops any scams that he sees happening, such as a man trying to sell us fake jewellery. The hotel also has it's own bit of beach, where you can pay extra to do all sorts of watersports.

All in all, my friends and I had a great time, no major issues and would happily return again.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with friends