“NEVER again”

Ranked #28 of 35 Hotels in Sousse
Manchester
“NEVER again”
Reviewed June 18, 2014

Booked with Thomas Cook. Second time to Tunisia as the first trip was excellent. Entered the hotel no one approached us so we went over reception, where we were told 'go and sit over there and fill these cards in' as we did. As we was filling in our cards lovely bar man handed us all a cocktail, was very friendly and polite. After a long wait we was shown to our room. We had a family room for the 4 of us. 5 beds and 4 flat pillows. Had a nice balcony, sea view pool view. Room was appalling, dust around the skirting boards, dead flys in the floor, broken bath with cig but holes and traces of dirt and blood, there were two sections to the room, balcony side was bright and the other side had one mini lamp to light the whole area, we ask for someone to fix the bulbs so that we could actuali see in the room no response. Wasn't happy at all. We dicided to go across the road for some food first and then come back to deal with our room and see what they can offer us, thinking they would kindly offer us some pillows? Maybe a extra lamp? Or get someone to fix the ones already availble and maybe clean the room. No that was too much to ask for, as a matter infact we were told did you not see the pictures of the hotel before you came? Erm clearly we did but it wasn't told that we would get a dirty room with no lights and a broken dirty bath tub. The men at the reception said to us if you don't like this star hotel go to movenpick which I is 5 star. I clearly mention is nothing to do with the star of the hotel regardless of the star it is hygiene is important and the level of respect, weather a 2 star or a 5star it's still a hotel and eveytging what is availble should be provided to the best of what they have. They found it funny that we requested a room and said no. Deal with what you got. U saw the pics when you came, just the way men see you with make up on and in the morning you don't have any that's what this hotels about. That was our example he gave us ever so rudely. I was speechless. And then ask for our rep, who happen to be tunsian, which the Thomas cook lady did not mention. As we said we wanted a Thomas cook rep! And he made a call and said no he can not the bothered coming. So wait for him tommorw. Absolutely wounded at this mans disrespect towards 4 young girls, was beyond me. We had no choice but to remove ourselfs from this hotel and pay for another one. I do believe they do pick and choose who they want to be nice too. So not everyone will have the same experience, but I don't recommend anybody coming to this hotel, there are so many nice hotels around sousse regardless of what star rating it is. Even if it cost you a little extra I say you pay that and get it somewhere else. Tunsia is such a beautiful country I can't fault it in any way there's so much to see and do, and the people are so nice, who's ever been to this hotel and not enjoyed there stay, don't let This hotel put you off the beautiful
country. From this I hope that the hotel can teach their staff general manners and how to run the reception front and how to treat there guests, and not disrespect young women. Thank you, be looking forward to the managers reply.

• Stayed May 2014
2 Thank SultanaHussain

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (127)
  • Czech first
  • Hungarian first
  • Polish first
  • Serbian first
Crawley, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 18, 2014

I returned from Karawan today after 10 days AI. Upon arrival I was shell shocked the pictures don't show you that it's located on a busy broken down shambles of a road, security actually came out to meet us!

There was zero daytime/evening entertainment and I heard multiple complaints! I believe the hotel actually fired there entertainment and hired new ones which picked up but still wasn't great it almost looked as if they made it up as they went. If you are travelling with children beware there's hardly anything for them to do!

The AI bars are very simplistic and shoddy there is no AI bar areas just reception lounges. We used the other bar and paid for our drinks! The AI bars do not wash the reusable cups and merely rinse them in front of you. There is hardly a variety and we found ourselves buying our own drink located 2mins to the right of the hotel supermarket. If you are a spirit drinker take your own!!

The restaurant is very run down and made us think we were eating in a food hall. All very simple! There wasn't a great choice of food and we found dinner was often served for breakfast. Every lunch had spaghetti bowl and pizzas and it was rare it was hot! we ended up eating out, at the back of the hotel is an Italian and they serve a variety all which is beautiful we even caught a taxi for 6dinear to the harbour where there's multiple lovely restaurants! We spoke to many guests who also hated the food and were paying to eat out. I am an easy eater but found it difficult to enjoy a meal.

The two pools are nice and kept very clean a lifeguard called Mohammed was a great worker and went out of his way to ensure you were happy. However something happened to the slide pool and within two days 6 people had sliced their foots open on what they described as a screw.

I've stayed in 3star hotels before but this needs revaluing the rooms were cleaned daily but we had dirty towls delivered - one actually had s**t on it - disgusting! Our bed sheets were dirty, beds were stone hard as were the two pillows. We paid for a sea view room but we had the higher ground floor pool view and below was the hotel waste!

On our last day we witnessed a young girl who had something stolen from her room and the staff were screaming at each other in reception and the police were called on a maid so hirer a safe they are downstairs but our rep advised that a passport had recently been stolen so for safety we did so!

For weather we can't complain and we found other activities to amuse us away from the hotel! I highly recommend the harbour its beautiful and if you want fake sunglasses shoes handbags etc go to sousse town 3 dinar in a cab or a 15 min walk lots of haggling and hassle but worth it -FYI I haggled from 150 dinar to 40 for items so be prepared!!

If you are looking for nightlife beware there is none!!! 20mins down the road is a couple of clubs but became repetitive and soooooooooo expensive!

After paying forth is holiday I meet several people how paid less for luxury so look around first but if it's not AI and your not there for the hotel it's ok basic but ok.

Room Tip: Ask for a change and they do so
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Julie K

Travelers are raving about these Sousse hotels

blackburn
Reviewed June 17, 2014 via mobile

Just got back and had a great time although took us time to find the best spots to go to. Firstly this hotel is basic but clean the bed is hard so not the best sleep you'd get but if your not planning on sleeping much it's perfect the location is great beach across the road 30 seconds once facing beach if you take a left its a 20 min walk to posh restaurants shisha cafe there defo recommend ( aga cafe ) further on you have the saloon bar great at night and bananas night club defo recommend too if you take a right from hotel whilst facing beach 20 mins youl go-to the shopping area ask for the medina defo worth visiting and grab bargains but be prepared to barter LOL. Only ate at the hotel once not my kind of thing but the restaurant behind the hotel facing the beach fantastic could not fault it .not as much to do at night if your a party animal this defo ain't the place for you if you like luxuary this defo ain't the hotel for you look up moven pick hotel and spa if you want high end accommodation :)

• Stayed June 2014
1 Thank r12ee
Redhill, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 15, 2014

I don't really know what I expected had read many mixed reviews, so this is just my opinion. This for me was a last minute week of sun and I did get that. Unless you tip, don't expect to get any service when eating other than clearing the plates, so get your own cutlery and drinks oh and watch out for nails in the seat of recently upholstered dining chairs, another guest mentioned it to me and low and behold I got one. There is always something you can eat but just tepid but I can recommend the Italian next door on beach side of hotel. Burgers fabulous and chicken with mushroom sauce and rice yum yum. Perhaps don't go all inclusive, eat out . Don't expect chilled white wine. Do go to the beach it's peaceful and for 3 dinars per day great value. Buy 1.5L bottle water from shop opposite main entrance - out of fridge 1 dinar. Rooms are clean, beds really firm as are pillows you get two on a double bed one really firm and the other not so. I appreciate 3 star hotel so my choice and sorry I'd choose somewhere else should I return.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled solo
Reviewed June 9, 2014 via mobile

On arrival to the hotel we didn't think much of the place but once through the doors we was relieved to find it was ok, basic but clean, reception attended to us straight away & the rep was waiting with our arrival pack, the 1st room given to us looked unfinished and above a roof, so we asked to change and was given another key straight away which was fine, clean, tidy with a great view of the beach nd pool.

We went straight to lunch, the dining room looked a little bland, all painted white, a bit colour in their would go well, but the food looked great, lots of choice, a bar in corner, a pasta counter and a dessert area, we thought the food was very nice, the only repetitive food we seen was chips and pizza, plenty of other choices.

The pool and bar areas are the best places in the hotel, which is great with us because thats where we spend most of the holiday, the bar and animation team were great fun, helpful, easy to get along with and provided many laughs, moo moo (our husband) was our favourite, went out of his way to help

All in all we had a great holiday and thinking of going back to same hotel later in year :)

Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Jordan B
Wolverhampton, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 8, 2014

on arrival in the early hours we got to reception and was offered a choice of rooms after filling out the required documents we were taken to our rooms and we settled down for the night the next morning we went down for breakfast which was more than adequate if only continental style lunch was very good with a good choice same as evening meal food was above average. rooms are basic but clean we had no coat hangers and we required an extra pillow when we asked within 10 mins they were delivered to our rooms .maid service every day clean towels etc .outdoor pools very clean although the indoor pool needs to be looked at ie freshening up decor etc ismail the life guard was very good with the kids and also helped out behind the bar if the barman was out collecting glasses so you was not waiting around for him to come back ...my only gripe was with the reception staff they short changed me on a money exchange then after id rented a safe they owed me 5 dinar because they said they had no change it took me 3 days to get my 5 dinar +the 8 dinar they done me for when changing my money every time i asked all i got was man not here come back tomorrow or come back later when i said i wanted to see the hotel owner the next day hey presto a bloke walked over and gave me 13 dinar if you ask something they dont want to hear they play the me no understand card but if it suits perfect english can be spoken and understood ....the kids lost umpteen dinars in the gaming machines when we told them at reception we got man not here come back tomorrow in broken english when we left the same man said to me in perfect english that we was 2 hours late vacating our room to which i replied i'l sort it tomorrow or ask the machine man for our money out the machines to pay for it and he understood every word i said ..we would stop here again as the main core of the holiday was fine but would certainley keep my eyes on the reception staff

• Stayed May 2014, traveled with family
3 Thank ian s
bobkarawan, Gérant at Karawan Beach & Resort, responded to this review, June 10, 2014
WE ARE SORRY for this problems and we thank you soo much for your advises.
see you soon.
Barnsley, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 7, 2014

I've just got back from a weeks holiday at the Karawan hotel. It was a great holiday. The staff at the hotel were very helpful. I had a problem with the shower and it was sorted within 30 mins. They couldn't do enough for us. The rep was helpful too.
Food was not brilliant but for a 3 star hotel it was fine. The rooms were nice and kept clean daily. We even got the sea view that we requested when we booked!
But what made our holiday was the Animation team. They were so welcoming and funny. They chatted to everyone and entertained all the children. They definately made our holiday. Thank you.
The lifeguards were lovely too.
I'd definately recommend the holiday and can't wait to go back!!!

• Stayed May 2014, traveled with friends