“Not a good hotel value for money elsewhere!!!!”

Karawan Beach & Resort
Ranked #28 of 35 Hotels in Sousse
Crawley, United Kingdom
“Not a good hotel value for money elsewhere!!!!”
Reviewed June 18, 2014

I returned from Karawan today after 10 days AI. Upon arrival I was shell shocked the pictures don't show you that it's located on a busy broken down shambles of a road, security actually came out to meet us!

There was zero daytime/evening entertainment and I heard multiple complaints! I believe the hotel actually fired there entertainment and hired new ones which picked up but still wasn't great it almost looked as if they made it up as they went. If you are travelling with children beware there's hardly anything for them to do!

The AI bars are very simplistic and shoddy there is no AI bar areas just reception lounges. We used the other bar and paid for our drinks! The AI bars do not wash the reusable cups and merely rinse them in front of you. There is hardly a variety and we found ourselves buying our own drink located 2mins to the right of the hotel supermarket. If you are a spirit drinker take your own!!

The restaurant is very run down and made us think we were eating in a food hall. All very simple! There wasn't a great choice of food and we found dinner was often served for breakfast. Every lunch had spaghetti bowl and pizzas and it was rare it was hot! we ended up eating out, at the back of the hotel is an Italian and they serve a variety all which is beautiful we even caught a taxi for 6dinear to the harbour where there's multiple lovely restaurants! We spoke to many guests who also hated the food and were paying to eat out. I am an easy eater but found it difficult to enjoy a meal.

The two pools are nice and kept very clean a lifeguard called Mohammed was a great worker and went out of his way to ensure you were happy. However something happened to the slide pool and within two days 6 people had sliced their foots open on what they described as a screw.

I've stayed in 3star hotels before but this needs revaluing the rooms were cleaned daily but we had dirty towls delivered - one actually had s**t on it - disgusting! Our bed sheets were dirty, beds were stone hard as were the two pillows. We paid for a sea view room but we had the higher ground floor pool view and below was the hotel waste!

On our last day we witnessed a young girl who had something stolen from her room and the staff were screaming at each other in reception and the police were called on a maid so hirer a safe they are downstairs but our rep advised that a passport had recently been stolen so for safety we did so!

For weather we can't complain and we found other activities to amuse us away from the hotel! I highly recommend the harbour its beautiful and if you want fake sunglasses shoes handbags etc go to sousse town 3 dinar in a cab or a 15 min walk lots of haggling and hassle but worth it -FYI I haggled from 150 dinar to 40 for items so be prepared!!

If you are looking for nightlife beware there is none!!! 20mins down the road is a couple of clubs but became repetitive and soooooooooo expensive!

After paying forth is holiday I meet several people how paid less for luxury so look around first but if it's not AI and your not there for the hotel it's ok basic but ok.

Room Tip: Ask for a change and they do so
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Julie K

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (127)
  • Czech first
  • Hungarian first
  • Polish first
  • Serbian first
blackburn
Reviewed June 17, 2014 via mobile

Just got back and had a great time although took us time to find the best spots to go to. Firstly this hotel is basic but clean the bed is hard so not the best sleep you'd get but if your not planning on sleeping much it's perfect the location is great beach across the road 30 seconds once facing beach if you take a left its a 20 min walk to posh restaurants shisha cafe there defo recommend ( aga cafe ) further on you have the saloon bar great at night and bananas night club defo recommend too if you take a right from hotel whilst facing beach 20 mins youl go-to the shopping area ask for the medina defo worth visiting and grab bargains but be prepared to barter LOL. Only ate at the hotel once not my kind of thing but the restaurant behind the hotel facing the beach fantastic could not fault it .not as much to do at night if your a party animal this defo ain't the place for you if you like luxuary this defo ain't the hotel for you look up moven pick hotel and spa if you want high end accommodation :)

• Stayed June 2014
1 Thank r12ee
Redhill, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 15, 2014

I don't really know what I expected had read many mixed reviews, so this is just my opinion. This for me was a last minute week of sun and I did get that. Unless you tip, don't expect to get any service when eating other than clearing the plates, so get your own cutlery and drinks oh and watch out for nails in the seat of recently upholstered dining chairs, another guest mentioned it to me and low and behold I got one. There is always something you can eat but just tepid but I can recommend the Italian next door on beach side of hotel. Burgers fabulous and chicken with mushroom sauce and rice yum yum. Perhaps don't go all inclusive, eat out . Don't expect chilled white wine. Do go to the beach it's peaceful and for 3 dinars per day great value. Buy 1.5L bottle water from shop opposite main entrance - out of fridge 1 dinar. Rooms are clean, beds really firm as are pillows you get two on a double bed one really firm and the other not so. I appreciate 3 star hotel so my choice and sorry I'd choose somewhere else should I return.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled solo
Reviewed June 9, 2014 via mobile

On arrival to the hotel we didn't think much of the place but once through the doors we was relieved to find it was ok, basic but clean, reception attended to us straight away & the rep was waiting with our arrival pack, the 1st room given to us looked unfinished and above a roof, so we asked to change and was given another key straight away which was fine, clean, tidy with a great view of the beach nd pool.

We went straight to lunch, the dining room looked a little bland, all painted white, a bit colour in their would go well, but the food looked great, lots of choice, a bar in corner, a pasta counter and a dessert area, we thought the food was very nice, the only repetitive food we seen was chips and pizza, plenty of other choices.

The pool and bar areas are the best places in the hotel, which is great with us because thats where we spend most of the holiday, the bar and animation team were great fun, helpful, easy to get along with and provided many laughs, moo moo (our husband) was our favourite, went out of his way to help

All in all we had a great holiday and thinking of going back to same hotel later in year :)

Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Jordan B
Wolverhampton, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 8, 2014

on arrival in the early hours we got to reception and was offered a choice of rooms after filling out the required documents we were taken to our rooms and we settled down for the night the next morning we went down for breakfast which was more than adequate if only continental style lunch was very good with a good choice same as evening meal food was above average. rooms are basic but clean we had no coat hangers and we required an extra pillow when we asked within 10 mins they were delivered to our rooms .maid service every day clean towels etc .outdoor pools very clean although the indoor pool needs to be looked at ie freshening up decor etc ismail the life guard was very good with the kids and also helped out behind the bar if the barman was out collecting glasses so you was not waiting around for him to come back ...my only gripe was with the reception staff they short changed me on a money exchange then after id rented a safe they owed me 5 dinar because they said they had no change it took me 3 days to get my 5 dinar +the 8 dinar they done me for when changing my money every time i asked all i got was man not here come back tomorrow or come back later when i said i wanted to see the hotel owner the next day hey presto a bloke walked over and gave me 13 dinar if you ask something they dont want to hear they play the me no understand card but if it suits perfect english can be spoken and understood ....the kids lost umpteen dinars in the gaming machines when we told them at reception we got man not here come back tomorrow in broken english when we left the same man said to me in perfect english that we was 2 hours late vacating our room to which i replied i'l sort it tomorrow or ask the machine man for our money out the machines to pay for it and he understood every word i said ..we would stop here again as the main core of the holiday was fine but would certainley keep my eyes on the reception staff

• Stayed May 2014, traveled with family
3 Thank ian s
bobkarawan, Gérant at Karawan Beach & Resort, responded to this review, June 10, 2014
WE ARE SORRY for this problems and we thank you soo much for your advises.
see you soon.
Barnsley, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 7, 2014

I've just got back from a weeks holiday at the Karawan hotel. It was a great holiday. The staff at the hotel were very helpful. I had a problem with the shower and it was sorted within 30 mins. They couldn't do enough for us. The rep was helpful too.
Food was not brilliant but for a 3 star hotel it was fine. The rooms were nice and kept clean daily. We even got the sea view that we requested when we booked!
But what made our holiday was the Animation team. They were so welcoming and funny. They chatted to everyone and entertained all the children. They definately made our holiday. Thank you.
The lifeguards were lovely too.
I'd definately recommend the holiday and can't wait to go back!!!

• Stayed May 2014, traveled with friends
3 Thank Elaine F
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 7, 2014

With my wife and my daughter 8years old we had an amazing holiday, also we had met a really friendly english family with we had spent a nice time all together.
The only regret its we have lost contact with this wonderful people.
I have left my contact at an animator but i think he has forgot to give them those.
if you are reading this review please take a contact with us….
Stefano, Federica & Iolanda
stefano.messina@me.com

• Stayed May 2014, traveled with family
1 Thank Route5_management
Also consider these accommodations in or near Sousse
Jinene & Royal Jinene Hotels
#16 of 35 in Sousse
El Kantaoui Center
El Kantaoui Center
#15 of 33 in Port El Kantaoui

Been to Karawan Beach & Resort? Share your experiences!