“honest review”

Ranked #29 of 35 Hotels in Sousse
staffordshire
“honest review”
Reviewed October 3, 2013

upon arrival our room which was a city view was awful, a city view i do not mind but this was a view of a busy dirty street, we asked if it was possible to move which we was told it would be £10 per person per night !!! we said no ! the following morning a local excursion rep Nabil sorted our room with the hotel manager, both were lovely and we got moved to sea view room 100 % better.
If you are expecting english food and english breakfast this is not a place to go however the pancakes at breakfast were lovely. Food was very limited in style but always found something to eat, no salad though !! All staff were friendly and had no problems with them at all, if you are english be wary when venturing out they seem to pressure you more but a firm and polite no usually works ok. The bar/restaurant at the back of the hotel shows football and eating out is very reasonable in price. El Djem excursion was good money also good i only changed £45 and got 115 dinar with this i paid for 2 people for the excursion cigarettes and preseants to take home. Females will definately get hasseld !! The beach was ok but not overly clean !! The weather was beautiful overall i had a good holiday however my husband was not as pleased with it as myself but for the price we paid i cant really complain we only had 6 days there which was plenty.. Maids were not up to standard..

Room Tip: go for a sea view definately reccommend this !!
1 Thank kristie735

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (127)
  • Czech first
  • Hungarian first
  • Polish first
  • Serbian first
scotland
Reviewed October 3, 2013

we are just home from this hotel and only went because we got it cheap. the room we got was absolutely filthy and we faced a construction site in the main road.our rep said (what do you expect for the price you paid) well we expect CLEAN even if it was free. the food was not too bad and the desserts were quite nice. the beach is accross a busy main road and it is very nice, we were given another room and the shower curtain was sssoooo filthy we never drew it closed in case it touched our skin and caused infection. cheap or not i would not recommend this hotel.

Room Tip: ask for pool view otherwise you get main road and all the fumes that goes with it
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
3 Thank cathysteven

Travelers are raving about these Sousse hotels

Nottingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 2, 2013

First impression soon changed...asked for an upgrade to a room with a seaview the man on reception gave us the upgrade for a £20tip...the room was filthy got it cleaned didn't look any better hair in the shower bath and sink disgusting. Food awful we hardly ate anything all week...no aircon in the dining room so very hot and unpleasant. The only decent drink was coffee from the machine. The English rep Nabile is helpful only if your willing to buy a trip from him if not then he's not botherd about you. The animation team think they are better than they really are. Sun sea and sand fantastic that's what kept us going for the week. Not the place to go for a first trip to Tunisia put us off .

Room Tip: Get a room with a sea view.
1 Thank sue e
Taunton, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 30, 2013

Depends what you want from your hols.Been to this hotel 3 times and I love it. All staff are great from Management , reception, bar staff and cleaners and everyone else who works there. Can't fault them on the whole. Now I feel a but coming on. Sorry guys but the animation team, for me personally don't play enough music throughout the day.I know it's Tunisia but felt there could be a tad more food without the spices and I have tried it all. Lived on omelettes, which I might add the Chef cooked to perfection. Unfortunately the front of Hotel is facing a derelict building which actually would be much easier on the eye if boarded up. Would definitely go back to this Hotel simply because of the welcome you receive. Great water-slide at top pool.Hope to see you all again soon. Great hol.Take care.

Room Tip: Depends if you want a sea view room. Room facing top pool quite entertaining and quiet at night.If y...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled solo
2 Thank Susanevans440
Paisley, Scotland
Reviewed September 29, 2013

We arrived at Karawan at roughly 4.00am on the Monday morning for 2 weeks. On arrival at reception they didn't even know we were arriving so we eventually got allocated 2 rooms 1street view which was on the fourth floor and one sea view which was on the 5th floor. When I arrived in my room I could have cried. First complaint the floor had cigarette ash all over it down the side of the bedroom units and spilled drinks all over the furniture. I then looked at the beds and the beds were covered in someone else's body hair all over sheets and pillows so didn't look like we had a freshly cleaned room. I then went in to the bathroom well was so shocked the bathroom was disgusting. I went straight back to reception and told them I wanted a clean room not one that someone has just checked out of. So got a room on floor 3 but room was same we didn't have a shower curtain in bathroom and bathroom was totally filthy the plug hole was thick with black dirt, cigarette burns all over sink and the shower, bath well what can I say about that nothing but total filth. By this time it was about 5.00am in the morning and we were just wanting our beds especially my 8 year old daughter. The maids don't clean your room they only make beds and our beds would not have been changed our whole stay but on day 10 I took all the linen of the beds and put it on the floor. The meant to be clean towels smelt of damp and were damp when put in your room the linen and towels was all stained as well. The buffet food is disgusting with flys all over it, the pizza counter flys all sitting on top of pizzas and the desert bar again full of flys on cakes also the food is not labelled so you don't have a clue what you are eating. We like a glass of wine with our evening meal and when we went to get our wine for evening meal it was giving to us a white plastic cup to which I refused it. The hotel was forever running out of lager and didn't have a great choice of alcohol what so ever and it was disgusting. So we ended up buying bottles of lager from the pay bar and we did get glasses with our lager from the paying bar. The juice was like drinking syrup so we ended up buying bottles of juice for my daughter from the supermarket. We all had constant diahorrea from day 3 of our holiday and my husband and brother actually took to bed for 2 days each to which I had to go to chemist for them as I took 2 boxes of diahorrea tablets with us and we used them all up within a Cpl of days so was 50 dinars for 2 lots of medicine for them. My daughters bottom was red raw due to diahorrea . We have been back a week now and I had diahorrea rite up until Thursday and my Husband and Brother are still very ill stomach cramps and still have diahorrea both have consulted a doctor since our return. The entertainment well what can I say about that the same every night it was a joke. Wee Jimmy was the only person that actually worked the rest were only interested in sex and women. Wee Jimmy was out first thing in the morning laying out all the sun loungers and then at tea time he was putting them away and setting up all the chairs and tables for evening entertainment so good work Jimmy. Well entertainment in morning was zilch apart from our last 3 mornings they were doing exercises apart from that they done nothing else apart from chat up women. A few of the entertainment team had partners some with children and as soon as their partners and children were away home they were all over the women like a rash. This hotel needs a health warning on it regardless of what you pay for a break this is an honest and true review beware.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
5 Thank nancy p
Shrewsbury, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 29, 2013

first of all before we came to this hotel, we read all these reviews and thought we would take a chance, as the reviews were all varied from good to bad. we thought we will make the most of it no matter what. we understood that their standards are a lot different from ours.
I have been to Tunisia many times before and enjoyed it, however since being at the hotel Karawan in Sousse, it has put me off going there again. The main road that it is situated on is like a scene from modern warfare or beruit. there are a few shops opposite the hotel, be careful as u will get dragged in and when you say no the bloke will get stroppy with you.( which is Tunisia all round ) The lobby of the hotel is ok and lounging area where the all inclusive bar is, fairly nice, when we arrived they ran out of beer on the first 2 days, so we had to pay 3 - 4 dinars to have a bottle calita lager, (the price always varied) later on in the week they ran out of cola. The tea/coffee is a machine situated on the all inclusive bar, no kettle etc in the rooms. Coffee/cappochino is an acquired taste, by the end of your stay your taste buds get used to it.
The restaurant is basic, when you enter it for the first time you think there is quite a selection of food/salads. on your 2nd/3rd/4th time you realise its the same food every day. you have the same choice for breakfast every day, (recommend the omelettes for breakfast) at lunch and evening meals is always the same every lunch time and evening time. They must re heat the food from lunch ready for evening meal, some days the food was hot and others it was warm, depends on what time you go for your meals. our typical menu for the day, and every day was omelette for breakfast, chips and pizza for lunch and chips and pizza for evening meal. Only because we could actually tell what we were eating. We did try some other things but we always felt a little nauseous after.
We paid for an all inclusive holiday and requested for a "city view" well my gosh it was more like "#hitty view" looking onto the main road with taxis, scooters and other cars whizzing down it, local men whistling to each other or at me whilst standing on the balcony, seeing cats/kittens getting ran over, seeing local men urinating on the building opposite with out a care in the world.
The rooms were very basic, 2 beds, a wordrobe, tv and a bathroom. I had to clean the bath before we used it to have a shower. ( they have lovely hot water), the shower curtain was covered in mildew, cracks in the tiles, bath very grimy and cigarette burns on the sink or toilet seat. My boyfriend went to put the air conditioning on in the room and got an electric shock off the panel, so we had no air conditioning. We reported the problem to someone who looked like they were management and he told us that they only put the air conditioning when it is over a certain temperature, the doors were feeble and wouldn't take much to push it open. strongly advice to get a safety deposit box for about 60 dinars, u get 40 back at checking out. when your lying in bed you can hear everyone else taking a pee/ flushing the loo/ people rowing/. ( didnt get too much sleep each night The whole hotel needs a lot of updating.
STAFF!! well on your first day walking to the pool area you get pestered by "alibabba" selling his camel rides/pirate ship excursions ( we done the camel ride and it was ok we paid 30 dinar each) and another chap selling massages who wouldn't take no for an answer, even took us to the relaxation area thinking we will say yes, ( got stroppy when we said "will think about it later in the week" and we kept getting "no you buy now, I give u good price") ...we had this every time we made our way to the pool. if you want to do an excursion we can highly recommend the African dream (175 dinar each to enter an African zoo, see a dolphin show at an extra cost of 20 dinar, then a meal which was just fab with equally fab entertainers while you eat).
The bar staff were ok, more polite if your a woman with blond hair or have a figure of a size 10-12. the entertainment was the same every day, with a slight amendment in the evening starting from 9.30pm either dancing or fire eaters, entertainment for the kids was just like baby sitting for an hour or so.
also every other day there was a smell of rotten eggs all around the hotel.
the beach was close to the hotel, 3 dinars for a sun lounger but again you had locals staring at you all the while, and I felt that I couldn't leave my bag whilst going in the sea.
We did not feel safe in this hotel, next time if we decide to return to Tunisia we will paying that little bit extra just for the security, but I doubt I will be returning again which is a shame as I loved it until this recent stay.
if you need to buy souvineers wait until you get to the air port if you don't want to get hassled.

Room Tip: don't opt for all inclusive or a city view,
3 Thank Greg W
Reviewed September 22, 2013

This hotel wasnt the best but I got the holiday so cheap im not going to complain so the good things about this hotel, the staff was very friendly (sometimes a little too friendly to me and my friend but it was all harmless) the beach was lovely and the boys working there were also very helpful I got stung by a jellyfish and the staff there straight there to help with cream and advice. Also the rep gave us good tips on how to stay safe and book us great trips recommend the sahara trip was amazing and very good price. And ali baba had good cheap trips which included the camel rides and quad biking great value for money.

The room was very basic but had what you needed and the maids were very friendly and worked very hard. The hotel overall needs work and decorating and more lifts.

The entertainment in the evening was very funny and cheesy but kept us happy and the team got everyone involved good laugh. Also had a good disco for the children. Bar was good made great cocktails and was open til late.

Wasnt much security in the hotel but the ones you had were very helpful and always checking if your ok. The swimming pools were standard good slides.

The location was great lots going on in walking distance. Alot of hassle when leaving the hotel from shops and men but just had to ignore them.

Overall a brilliant holiday at a very low cost. Good experience. Got more than our money worth. Dont have high expectations for this hotel but enjoy what it does have. Still an amazing holiday!

Georgia
(11th sept/21st sept)

• Stayed September 2013
2 Thank Georgiabl
Also consider these accommodations in or near Sousse
Jinene & Royal Jinene Hotels
#16 of 35 in Sousse
El Kantaoui Center
El Kantaoui Center
#15 of 33 in Port El Kantaoui

Been to Karawan Beach & Resort? Share your experiences!