“Basic hotel! Great animation team”

Karawan Beach & Resort
Ranked #28 of 35 Hotels in Sousse
Reviewed September 2, 2013

This is a very basic hotel however you get what you pay for. The rooms were cleaned daily and we had the most amazing view over looking the sea. One thing I would say is that the towels could have been changed more regulaly. The bar staff in the evening were great and tried there best to serve people as quickly as they could. The one thing that made my holiday were all the animation team. Moo Moo, Enzo, Jimmy, James and hamdi. They were amazing with all the children and nothing was a problem for them. They were great with everyone really chatty and entertained the guests during the day with darts, aqua gym and dancing. The evening entertainment was amazing!! Mido the dancer was amazing as micheal Jackson and did some great routines for all the animation team to entertain the guests in the evening. So much time and effort goes into the evening entertainment and you can really see all there passion for their jobs and wanting to make all the guests smile. Haykal the animations manager is a lovely guy who is so funny but a lot quieter then the rest of the team. The animation team made this hotel!

1  Thank Chrissy19876

Reviewed August 31, 2013

The bedrooms are very clean, there's always clean bedding put on the beds. Im a very fussy eater but on the all inclusive the food was excellent. The entertainment was more than I expected, kids disco was great, hamdi, haykel and midu from the entertainment team was so nice to everyone never once we're they rude at all.

2  Thank Lauren19945
Reviewed August 31, 2013

have been coming to this hotel since 2011 and has been every other month yes it is basic but atleast you have a a bed to sleep in at stay cool and warm there is a public bar that the locals use but then a gain its like going in a pub in England if someone fancy you there going to look and chat to you..... the pools are clean and tidy there is 4 pools indoor main pool kids pool and slide pool all staff are friendly bar staff serve you before locals and have never been rude
Animation: are so helpful and go out there way to help you you try entertaining 200+ guest all with different taste, and all this about they are money grabbing and sexually obsessed in a load of rubbish Haykel Hamdi and Midou are the most helpful and entertaining I have ever come across I have never felt that way I have been on my own with friends and with my family I have been over 15 times and still love it I am going back on 18th September till October and will still continue its like marmite you either love or hate it....

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled with family
4  Thank jade H
Reviewed August 30, 2013

Set in a down trodden area dirty and smelly rubbish everywhere
Food was atrocious so bad that we lived on cold pasta cold chips and stale bread, all drinks no matter alcoholic or not were served in flimsy plastic beakers that you'd get from a water cooler station in an office environment the children's arcade area is situated in the smoking section of the lobby rendering it useless if your a non smoking family or just concern for you children's health staff were so rude making sexual advances toward my wife if she went to the bar alone. Or anyone else with a pulse and a hand on their purse for that matter no safety controls on the water slides drunk adults trying to stand up all the way down, inflatables used to go down on,no sun loungers short by at least 150 this is not in comparison to no of rooms just empty space that could be utilised times for food changed on our arrival. 6-10 Brekkie 12:30 -2:00 lunch and dinner 6-8:30 Front desk constantly had no cash to change up into dinar

4  Thank Disgruntled_dad79
Reviewed August 30, 2013

We have just got back from a 10 day holiday at this hotel and I would not recommend it to anyone.
The staff are rude the entertainment was awful. The food was cold and the drinks warm.
The room was dirty on arrival and never really cleaned. The sheets were not changed the whole time we were there even after asking.. We had to go to resorption every evening to get towels
We spent a day at the beach only to find rats washed up on the shore. No warning about the jelly fish that stung at least 3 people on the day we were on the beach.
The area is run down with hotels, shops and restaurants left derelict.
All in all the area was awful and the hotel disgusting.. Never again will we return and I would never recommend this hotel or area to anyone..

3  Thank DanielleH08
Reviewed August 30, 2013

Where do I even start with this place.

I am a firm believer that you get what you pay for when you book a holiday. We were just after a cheap deal to get away for a week and get some sunshine.

1. Clientele
There wasn't a great amount of British people at this resort therefore, it seemed whenever you happened to hear someone British you spoke to them. Everyone I spoke to had had a problem with this hotel. The people that go there are German, Russian, French, Algerian etc - it seemed that when people go on all inclusive holidays they forget about manners. At breakfast (which was awful minus the ONE person making fresh crepes and omelettes for a whole hotel of people) - despite there being a 10 person long queue, apparently it's absolutely ok to walk straight to the front of that queue and be served if they spoke the same language as the chef...

2. The Facility
Entertainment was average, you had no chance of getting a sunbed unless you bribed the lifeguard with 10 dinars a day to save you one, the pool was small, the waterslides are only open periodically throughout the day (UK health and safety would have an absolute field day on this pool). Rooms were basic (expected) but when we paid for a 3 bed room we got given a CAMP BED. This was after we had arrived at 2am to be sent away to an absolute dive around the corner which made Karawan look 5* because it was FULL. We had to wait until 1pm the next afternoon for a room.

3. The Staff
Wow wow wow. Never, have I ever come across people like it. There were a couple of nice bar staff and one nice lady that worked reception - aside from these the staff were HORRENDOUS. The maids STEAL off you, we met a couple and they had told us of how her engagement ring was stolen. Upon asking the maid to help them look for it she chucked it on the floor kicked it at them and asked "is that it?" - this same maid may I ask attempted to accuse my family and myself of stealing towels - when in fact we were keeping them to have a shower before we left the hotel, after being kicked out the room at 10am we had our transfer at 9pm and were going to have a shower in a friends room. The reception are about as helpful as a flat tyre.
The maids are cleaning the main reception and bar area through the middle of the day and do not care if you are standing at reception they will hit you with their 'mop' and they will usher you out of the way with it. Absolute madness. One of the barmen manhandled someone's child all because he let a bit of water out of the dispenser. All in all - the actual hotel staff are disgusting.

On the other hand, there was two very nice representatives of the hotel working at the beach who were lovely and very helpful when I got stung by a jellyfish!

4. The Locals
If you have a young girl, DO NOT I repeat, do not go here. Being a young blonde I had been told I may be a favourite when I visited Tunisia but I never thought it would be like this...
I could not do anything alone, my sister, her friend and myself were constantly harassed by young hotel staff, locals etc. I could not walk down the street without someone making an offer to my mother to BUY ME, getting grabbed and forced into shops to buy stuff I most definitely did not need - "no thank you sir, I am 20 years old I do not need a Tunisia football shirt".

5. The Food and Drink
BANG AVERAGE - if you want to stand in a queue for 10 minutes only to be pushed in front of umpteen times then great! If you like having vegetables for breakfast then great! They constantly ran out of stuff. We went in to lunch one of the days only for there to be no bar staff - call me busy but I took it upon myself to get my own, and everyone else's drinks and had 10+ comments telling me they'd rather I was serving their drinks than the greasy, pushy kids that are usually there! The food was repetitive, my poor mother couldn't eat any meat all week for the fear her insides would appear (she was sick the first night and was petrified from there on).

6. The Town
Our room looked out over the city - which was mainly derelict, infested with stray animals and extremely noisy. To cross the road you just have to walk out and pray they stop... It smells worse than anything I've ever smelt. Unknown liquids and substances cover the roads and pathways. I've never experienced anything like it. We went shopping a couple of times... Which was interesting. People come up to you (prior to recognising your hotel wristband) claim they work there and that it's their day off - no it's not pal, you don't work there you just want me to go to your brother's shop - no thanks. The streets are filthy, as is the beach and the sea, there is rubbish everywhere you look! The people there are filthy, pushy, nosy and rude. I encountered a few nice people the rest were unbearable.

Please, people, avoid this place at all costs - they say you get what you pay for but no-one pays for staff with no manners, to be stolen off, to be harassed, to get the same food repeatedly, to have the bar run out of drinks everyday, to not get a sunbed by your own pool or to be roped into buying the hotel's 'animation' CD.

Next time I'll be sticking to Europe because the quality is better, the people are nicer and the facilities are better.

I pray that you have read this all the way to the end because I would hate for anyone to experience what we did this summer! Thanks G's - happy holidaying!

Room Tip: Tips for choosing a good room - Don't.
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank KatieC-x
Reviewed August 27, 2013

Absolutely terrible, staff rude, food appalling, wrong room on booking in so no sleep at all in city view rooms, they couldn't care less that room was wrong and had to ask 4 times for the sea view room we paid for. Rooms very basic and sheets not changed once in 9 days, had to ask for toilet roll and clean towels. Not enough Sun beds, towels were out at 6am and the beach was full of litter. Biggest waste of money ever.

Room Tip: Sea view a must
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple