“Never in my life and I'm fairly well travelled”

Karawan Beach & Resort
Ranked #31 of 35 Hotels in Sousse
“Never in my life and I'm fairly well travelled”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 30, 2013

Set in a down trodden area dirty and smelly rubbish everywhere
Food was atrocious so bad that we lived on cold pasta cold chips and stale bread, all drinks no matter alcoholic or not were served in flimsy plastic beakers that you'd get from a water cooler station in an office environment the children's arcade area is situated in the smoking section of the lobby rendering it useless if your a non smoking family or just concern for you children's health staff were so rude making sexual advances toward my wife if she went to the bar alone. Or anyone else with a pulse and a hand on their purse for that matter no safety controls on the water slides drunk adults trying to stand up all the way down, inflatables used to go down on,no sun loungers short by at least 150 this is not in comparison to no of rooms just empty space that could be utilised times for food changed on our arrival. 6-10 Brekkie 12:30 -2:00 lunch and dinner 6-8:30 Front desk constantly had no cash to change up into dinar

4 Thank Disgruntled_dad79

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (127)
  • Hungarian first
  • Polish first
  • Serbian first
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 30, 2013

We have just got back from a 10 day holiday at this hotel and I would not recommend it to anyone.
The staff are rude the entertainment was awful. The food was cold and the drinks warm.
The room was dirty on arrival and never really cleaned. The sheets were not changed the whole time we were there even after asking.. We had to go to resorption every evening to get towels
We spent a day at the beach only to find rats washed up on the shore. No warning about the jelly fish that stung at least 3 people on the day we were on the beach.
The area is run down with hotels, shops and restaurants left derelict.
All in all the area was awful and the hotel disgusting.. Never again will we return and I would never recommend this hotel or area to anyone..

3 Thank DanielleH08

Travelers are raving about these Sousse hotels

Banbury, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 30, 2013

Where do I even start with this place.

I am a firm believer that you get what you pay for when you book a holiday. We were just after a cheap deal to get away for a week and get some sunshine.

1. Clientele
There wasn't a great amount of British people at this resort therefore, it seemed whenever you happened to hear someone British you spoke to them. Everyone I spoke to had had a problem with this hotel. The people that go there are German, Russian, French, Algerian etc - it seemed that when people go on all inclusive holidays they forget about manners. At breakfast (which was awful minus the ONE person making fresh crepes and omelettes for a whole hotel of people) - despite there being a 10 person long queue, apparently it's absolutely ok to walk straight to the front of that queue and be served if they spoke the same language as the chef...

2. The Facility
Entertainment was average, you had no chance of getting a sunbed unless you bribed the lifeguard with 10 dinars a day to save you one, the pool was small, the waterslides are only open periodically throughout the day (UK health and safety would have an absolute field day on this pool). Rooms were basic (expected) but when we paid for a 3 bed room we got given a CAMP BED. This was after we had arrived at 2am to be sent away to an absolute dive around the corner which made Karawan look 5* because it was FULL. We had to wait until 1pm the next afternoon for a room.

3. The Staff
Wow wow wow. Never, have I ever come across people like it. There were a couple of nice bar staff and one nice lady that worked reception - aside from these the staff were HORRENDOUS. The maids STEAL off you, we met a couple and they had told us of how her engagement ring was stolen. Upon asking the maid to help them look for it she chucked it on the floor kicked it at them and asked "is that it?" - this same maid may I ask attempted to accuse my family and myself of stealing towels - when in fact we were keeping them to have a shower before we left the hotel, after being kicked out the room at 10am we had our transfer at 9pm and were going to have a shower in a friends room. The reception are about as helpful as a flat tyre.
The maids are cleaning the main reception and bar area through the middle of the day and do not care if you are standing at reception they will hit you with their 'mop' and they will usher you out of the way with it. Absolute madness. One of the barmen manhandled someone's child all because he let a bit of water out of the dispenser. All in all - the actual hotel staff are disgusting.

On the other hand, there was two very nice representatives of the hotel working at the beach who were lovely and very helpful when I got stung by a jellyfish!

4. The Locals
If you have a young girl, DO NOT I repeat, do not go here. Being a young blonde I had been told I may be a favourite when I visited Tunisia but I never thought it would be like this...
I could not do anything alone, my sister, her friend and myself were constantly harassed by young hotel staff, locals etc. I could not walk down the street without someone making an offer to my mother to BUY ME, getting grabbed and forced into shops to buy stuff I most definitely did not need - "no thank you sir, I am 20 years old I do not need a Tunisia football shirt".

5. The Food and Drink
BANG AVERAGE - if you want to stand in a queue for 10 minutes only to be pushed in front of umpteen times then great! If you like having vegetables for breakfast then great! They constantly ran out of stuff. We went in to lunch one of the days only for there to be no bar staff - call me busy but I took it upon myself to get my own, and everyone else's drinks and had 10+ comments telling me they'd rather I was serving their drinks than the greasy, pushy kids that are usually there! The food was repetitive, my poor mother couldn't eat any meat all week for the fear her insides would appear (she was sick the first night and was petrified from there on).

6. The Town
Our room looked out over the city - which was mainly derelict, infested with stray animals and extremely noisy. To cross the road you just have to walk out and pray they stop... It smells worse than anything I've ever smelt. Unknown liquids and substances cover the roads and pathways. I've never experienced anything like it. We went shopping a couple of times... Which was interesting. People come up to you (prior to recognising your hotel wristband) claim they work there and that it's their day off - no it's not pal, you don't work there you just want me to go to your brother's shop - no thanks. The streets are filthy, as is the beach and the sea, there is rubbish everywhere you look! The people there are filthy, pushy, nosy and rude. I encountered a few nice people the rest were unbearable.

Please, people, avoid this place at all costs - they say you get what you pay for but no-one pays for staff with no manners, to be stolen off, to be harassed, to get the same food repeatedly, to have the bar run out of drinks everyday, to not get a sunbed by your own pool or to be roped into buying the hotel's 'animation' CD.

Next time I'll be sticking to Europe because the quality is better, the people are nicer and the facilities are better.

I pray that you have read this all the way to the end because I would hate for anyone to experience what we did this summer! Thanks G's - happy holidaying!

Room Tip: Tips for choosing a good room - Don't.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank KatieC-x
Bradford, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 27, 2013

Absolutely terrible, staff rude, food appalling, wrong room on booking in so no sleep at all in city view rooms, they couldn't care less that room was wrong and had to ask 4 times for the sea view room we paid for. Rooms very basic and sheets not changed once in 9 days, had to ask for toilet roll and clean towels. Not enough Sun beds, towels were out at 6am and the beach was full of litter. Biggest waste of money ever.

Room Tip: Sea view a must
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank emma b
manchester
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 25, 2013

Just back from a week all inclusive at the karawan. It’s my third visit to Tunisia so I knew what to expect. People either love or hate Tunisia.

The room
The hotel is basic but has everything you need for the price you pay. Our room was facing the derelict run down street which we loved because we got to people watch. You can pay extra at the hotel for pool & see view but that’s also the side where the night club is so if you’re not at the club that’s open till around 3am good luck with the noise. The room was clean and tidy, dated but clean. nothing special but suited us for getting washed, dressed, and sleeping. It was only on the third day that we tipped the maid 10 dinar and got extra service of spare pillows and flowers on the bed.
We always wait to see who the hard workers are without a trip first.

Pools
There are two out door pools and one has the big slides, we never used them but seemed like the people who did didn’t want to get off. There is also the outside bar which did run out of plastic beakers so you would get the drink in a plastic cup. Again this didn’t bother us as to me it all goes down the same hole. Also there aren’t enough sun loungers to go around the edge of the pool as trying to fit 300 plus of them in a small area would be silly so I never get why people moan about this, so it’s first come first serve. But across the road is the beach which has more than enough to go around for a few dinar tip.

The food in the restaurant is like most other basic hotels. Pizza and chips for the fussy eaters and then rice, pasta, potatoes, and veg with a choice of meat dishes. Even though we were all inclusive we did eat out a few times. Across the road from the hotel are a few take a ways. Some don’t look too hygienic but we took our chances and were fine. There is also a great one that does pancakes.

The staff
The staff make the hotel what it is, and I couldn't understand why people moan when all they do is work hard. Not all but 90% majority are friendly and happy to help. From the waiters to the guy that sells the trips to tattoo Midou. They helped make our holiday. They were friendly and always happy to help. It’s the management that need to pull there fingers out as the hotel has great potential and maybe with more cups and a lick of paint it wouldn’t get so many bad reviews. Enzo and Moo Moo from the animation team are excellent. From aqua gym and darts in the day to dressing up in daft outfits and being there for a general chat and to make you laugh to the kids mini disco and the evening shows. Enzo and Moo Moo did it all. Also don’t be shy to ask them about Tunisia and things to do outside of the hotel if you want honest opinions on the best places to go. I didn’t really get to talk to the other members of the team but could see they were also hard working except for the animation manager, Hamza, and Midou. All they do is swan around being rude to there own members of staff and customers, there in the 10% that didn’t make us feel welcome at all unless they wanted to sleep with you.

I would not recommend this hotel or Sousse to first timers to Tunisia. People either love it or hate.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 20, 2013

Firstly I would just like to say me and sister stayed here 28th July- 4th aug, and we had a great relaxing time, very basic hotel compared to what we stayed in last time we went to Tunisia, but you get what you pay for, for us was a last minute cheap getaway!

Food was ok always some thing to eat so wasnt that bothered, deserts were nice!

Drinks were fine never ran out of anything we wanted to drink, very strong on te vodka thou haha!

All staff were polite and friendly, some reviews say the reception staff were rude, we never witnessed this on arrival or throughout out stay!
Animation team were entertaining, friendly and up for a laugh! enzo, momo( always speaking to everyone throughout the day and getting everyone involved with the activities and dances), jimmy, Haykel, Mido,
hamza.
Never noticed any of them being rude!
Beach was lovely and the men working there are so helpful and friendly easy to get along with!

The hotel itself needs updating and could be more activities in the day but apart from that not a bad stay! Our room was a city view and we liked it due to the fact ppl were still up at 3 in the morning and it was nice to see the hussle and bussle of city life!

I would go back to tunisia again and maybe I would return here!

4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 19, 2013

On day of arrival, we were greeted by a moody but polite receptionist who was very helpful our key was confusing as it said room 409 but on the back said 369 we eventually got the room number 369. The room was very clean but some faults 1. The flush wasn't working but fixed soon after we realised 2. The television didnt work but was fixed the same time the toilet was. Soon after we went into a small pool with 2 slides which where very fun. The hotel is run with Russians, Germans and Scandinavians despite this there where some English people. The pool was overcrowded but still managed to enjoy it. There is lots to do there such as the slides, animation, and trips such as quad bikes. The food was very intermediate but was some good perks about it. The drinks where soapy. But the staff such as maids, bar men, door man , security and especially animation where very kind. It's a basic hotel with great facilities all in all a marvellous holiday.
By the way city view stinks look out for a sea view which when was free of charge as we had the papers saying we had a sea view

2 Thank Joegraham123