“Great hotel but badly managed so hotel does not reach its potential”

Karawan Beach & Resort
Ranked #29 of 35 Hotels in Sousse
Reviewed July 7, 2013

Stayed here for one week in July 2013 with my husband, two kids aged 15 and 2 and my parents in law who are in their seventies. Arrived to a relatively clean room to find the air con sort of working. Got up for breakfast the next morning to a lovely beach view. (Room 343) Breakfast was ok, nothing to rave about, although they did run out of pancake mix! Went to the beach and was looked after there by Sabir and the boys. Treated like royalty for the sum of about a pound each per day. Can't argue with that! Went to dinner that evening and found the food, staff and restaurant to be horrendous. I'm not a fussy eater and love Tunisian food, been 6 times in last 4 years, but this restaurant was nothing short of awful. Wasn't able to change money at reception as they had run out. Went to reception for various things and was always told to come back later. Took concerns to the rep who took us to the hotel manager who told us that we were not staying at the Ritz! That all being said, the bar staff at the paying bar - we were half board- and the animation team were all fantastic and really dragged this hotel up in my ratings. We picked the hotel for both the price and location and given the choice if I was on the same budget again I would go back on a B&B basis as it is really cheap to eat out within a five minute walk in any direction of the hotel. Overall, if the management could listen to the general complaints of their guests and get their reception staff and food to the same standard as their bar staff then they would have a little gem on their hands. Sadly they don't

• Stayed: July 2013
3  Thank Ann K
There are newer reviews for Karawan Beach & Resort

Reviewed July 7, 2013

OK lets be honest 1st point if you put at front of hotel cars hoot even 5 and 6 and 7 in the morning.Well got a room move and it was flooded through aircon i think.Got a nice room maids good and was clean.This hotel has no security do not let your kids roam free.There was incident with aljerians following kids in girls toilettes i confronted manager reply i got was it has no concern to me i beg to differ having 3 kids with me.Tunisians nigerians and other races not booked into the hotel roam freeley make suggestive comments to women was pestered to use my wristband to get them free drinks.8 days to get my aircon fixed 6 days to get my toilette to flush lucky they have hosepipes next to toilette so flushed them myself.animation team was poor had 2 good nights in 2 weeks stay they classed bingo as entertainment 1 night.All shows finished between 10.10 to 10.30 manager says thats good i dont think so.I had 1 water slide working for 1st week i booked this place for the slides.There is no safety on these slides there is a pool guy who should judge when the next person slides it was chaos accident waiting to happen.Pool guy was to busy on slides himself even took my 8 year old girls rubber ring at top of slide and used it to go down himself she had just started swimming.My 10 year old lad took her ring back at bottom of the slide were i witness the poolman grip my son tightly at this point i ran over and warned him.There is a nightclub on site this is like a garage stings of must and urine consists of patio tables flashing lights that blind you and tinny music invented for the animation team to chase skirt.I read there were bars at the front these are tunisian bars and no go areas if you sit at front of hotel you will see a lot of fights guaranteed everynight it was better entertainment than in the shows.I read all the reviews before i went i always do and some people can be picky so disguarded them.1 night a load of nigerians come in and 1 of them started rubbing up on the kids in the minidisco and in the end they was just moved away not removed?.Every day the foods the same i lived on eggs for breakfast oo and there is 1 toaster that is a pop up toaster takes to slices and is very slow between all the guests.They never had enough glasses to serve beer and other drinks at night you could be left at bar for 30 mins while bar man collected 4 more cups we gave up on this place.I could list a lot of other things and go on and on every other guest felt the same some even booked 2 day trips just to get away from here......Reception never had money to change would always say come back when next shift on lazy.I have been tunisia before and loved it have been many places and never had reason to comment but feel i need to now all i can say is AVOID....

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family
4  Thank shyspike
Reviewed July 7, 2013

I recently stayed at this hotel with a friend, yes this hotel is dated but it was relatively clean and there was always something to eat at meal times, although a bit repetitive, the crepes were nice at breakfast! The rooms were adequate, however no safes in rooms but they can be obtained at the reception at a cost of 4 Dinar a day. Internet is also available at a cost of 10 Dinar a day this is not free.
The majority of staff were pleasant, however there were some that were just ignorant and had no manners, the rooms were cleaned daily and clean towels we did have a couple of minor hiccups with our room but this was sorted out very quickly.

I would definatley ensure that you ask for a pool or sea view as the city view is not nice, the area of the hotel is not that nice, the beach is nice and the sea warm which is just over a road outside the rear of the hotel. Sunbeds and umbrellas can be hired at 5 Dinar a day if you want to spend the day at the beach. At the rear of the hotel if you turn left you will see the "Caruso" restaurant we ate there several times and the food was excellent, I can recommend the Fillet steak Bernaise it was as good as I have had anywhere and at a cost of 29 Dinar around £14 was excellent value for money. This restaurant is a must if you want to eat out!

Dont book the trips at the hotel we went into Port el Kantoui a 10 minute taxi ride and a cost of only 7 Dinar each way, we booked a pirate ship trip at 40 Dinar for 2 of us, the hotel wanted 80 Dinar, they are persistent but we did not give in to them.
Port el Kantoui is lovely with a very pretty marina and lots of shops and restaurants to be honest if I came back to Tunisia I would definatley stay there, the weather was fantastic in the mid 30's so take plenty of sun screen.

I need to mention that if you are ladies travelling alone which we were, there are some locals that come into this hotel and try to chat the ladies up in a bid to rob them, which we were informed had happened just a week earlier. Just do not acknowledge them and they will leave you alone!

Overall for what we paid it wasnt too bad, however I would not stay at this hotel again as the area was not the best, and having locals coming in and out made us feel uncomfortable at times. However I would visit Tunisia again but as I mentioned earlier perhaps in Port el Kantoui as this is a really pretty resort!

Room Tip: Sea view room is necessary as City View is terrible
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled with friends
2  Thank sharon m
Reviewed July 7, 2013

Hi. I have just returned from a week's holiday at the Karawan. I must first say that I love Tunisia and have now visited 8 times in 5 years. I had not, however, stayed in Sousse before although I had visited. Unfortunately I have to say we will not be returning to the Karawan Hotel nor to Sousse. The general area is one of decay (I know this is not reviewing the hotel but to go outside is necessary. The surrounding area needs to be cleaned up and the crumbling buildings made safer. The hotel had good and bad. The good was the sea view, most of the staff who were great, the distance it was from the Marina and Medina that was easily walkable. The down side hmm where to start, well the food started ok the first day then went downhill. I know that the food in Tunisian hotels is often a bit strange but this was not good. Even the day they served brik and couscous was bad, dry couscous and brik that was not sealed before cooking so ended up just twisted pastry with no filling (and I love this food usually). Often food stations were shut down because they had run out (of both pizza and chips) within an hour of the dining room opening, surely these could be made quickly enough.the rooms were cleaned daily but not properly when we arrived we had some popcorn behind the door which was still there when we left. Two lifts regularly broke down (and we were on the 4th floor) and the water was cold a couple of nights when we wanted showers. As we were all inclusive i was not going to eat out unless i had to why pay twice?? However there were some lovely places very close to enjoy a coffee, etc. I think this hotel is in the process of being upgraded and hope that once it has been done the good reviews will increase. Holiday cheap but does not quite offer what it should. We had a 4th floor seaview the downside of which was as there is no carpet in the hall areas its very noisy when anyone goes past to bed !!

Room Tip: the high seaview ones are best I think or the view is not a good one
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
6  Thank 506Chrissie1953
Reviewed July 5, 2013

We have just returned from this hotel after a 2 week holiday, and will not be going back to the karawan hotel again. Good points were it was quite clean, mainly the reception and a cheap holiday. However, the food was very poor. we payed a few times to go and eat out, even though we had payed to stay all inclusive. The drinks were fine, plenty of choice of alchol, soft drinks ect. Did not like the cleaners walking into our rooms, knowing we were there and cleaning around us. The reception staff were very arrogant and rude, numerous amount of times we had made complaints and they just laughed and said 'it was not there problem', even when there was no hot water running. Public toilets were quite dirty, urine on the mens floor. Also did not like how locals can just walk into hotel, didnt feel very safe considering it was meant to be family orientated. Bar staff and animation were great but were very over worked.

Room Tip: get a sea view room as city is very busy and noisy on main street
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank kirstynjack
Reviewed July 4, 2013

just got back from a week stay. first the good points, very cheap,clean, maids daily,drinks not watered down as in some tunisian hotels,good location, bad points, air con worked when it wanted,last day 45 c i thought i was going to pass out,food not the best am not a fussy eater but some days we went out to eat ,animation team only started doing anything when a bunch of pretty young girls turned up,to many local men perving after anything in a skirt, entertainment at night.....my god if i hear AGADOO one more time i will scream. after saying all that if you are on a certain budget it is a very cheap option and we made the best of what we had but i would not go back. ps, the staff are excellent.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 1, 2013

hotel, for what you pay !!!!!!!!!!, indoor pool, no go area, private beach pay for parasolls etc, lylows. passport got stolen from hotel, no help, very limited english speaking, police what police, went to Bristish Embassy,in Tunis you need 2 passport photos, police report, and confirmation of a flight home before you have any chance of replacement, Take extra care when in the Medinas (Market) or shops no set price, pay a quarter of what they originally ask. Please keep belongings safe. after all it was cheap but not cheerful...................

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with friends