“you get what you pay for”

Karawan Beach & Resort
Ranked #29 of 36 Hotels in Sousse
Reviewed June 11, 2012

Stayed there for one week. It is very clean and the staff are very helpful. However there is no Wi-fi in the hotel. There is a pay internet cafe attached to the hotel. It is also very noisy, especially around the pool at night. There were noisy groups around the pool till well after 2 am.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled solo
14  Thank sumacaman

Reviewed June 9, 2012

We arrived back from the Karawan this afternoon and felt the need to leave a review, as reading the previous ones made me contemplate not going at all.....

After a delayed flight, not the fault of the hotel or agent, we were greeted with free drinks from an alternative bar as ours had closed( being all inclusive) we had our rooms upgraded to two rooms adjoining instead of a family room. The Manager of the hotel could not have done more for us and took time to get to know the guests and what we wanted from our holiday.

For a 3 star hotel it was what I expected. It was in need of a little updating but over all, clean, friendly and air conditioned!!!

Improvements were being made while we were there, which did not impact our holiday in the slightest.

Food is Tunisian food and I would suggest if this is not what you want when you travel, to visit the snack bar instead for more western style food.

The beach was beautiful. Private..... Which meant they stopped all potential sellers coming over and for 2 dinnars a day for a sun bed, which is about 70p I thought was very reasonable.

Reading previous reviews I questioned what we would get but we got more than I thought we would for a 3 STAR hotel in Africa. Very pleased with all. As I say Manager was flawless with us, service outstanding, clean and great location for trips, Medina and authentic Tunisia.

Our only recommendation is ice cream should be included in all inclusive, however in comparison to what the hotel cost in compared to the flights I think we got a good deal over all.

Changes are clearly being made all the time. Today we were told by the Manager that new bedding was going in all rooms and he will continue to invest in the up keep of this hotel.

Everyone has very different expectations of what they get for their money, but for us it was very well spent and a great holiday all round!

• Stayed: June 2012
11  Thank Bostin78
Reviewed June 4, 2012

My sisters and I recently spent 2 weeks at this hotel and found the hotel pleasant and the manager Mohamed very helpful. He went out his way to ensure our stay was enjoyable. All requests were met. We did advise of a couple of improvements that could be made ie..cushions for the sunbeds, they have now been ordered. The food was very good. Overall, can't complain. The manager is doing his best to improve his hotel. I will certainly be returning.

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled with friends
3  Thank christine c
Reviewed June 3, 2012

Well, where do I start!

At first at the airport we had to fit in this mini van, bring our suitcases through the window, got there, and I wanted to go home.

We arrived at 1.30am and had to use our phones as lights through the corridors to find the 3 rooms that were SUPPOSED to be together, which, of course, weren't.
The next morning there was no food left or sunbeds left.
that night, we went to the bar, which had dirty glasses.
The only upside was that there was a private beach... That had dead rats.
Couldn't wait to go home!

• Stayed: June 2012
3  Thank Annisteph
Reviewed May 20, 2012

I visited Sousse, Tunisia in April and I originally booked to stay at a 4 star hotel just up the road but the staff there were rude and unfriendly so I moved to the Karawan within a couple of days. I've been to this hotel twice and I plan on returning in July and again in August 2012. I love it. I admit that the hotel itself could do with some improvement but the staff there are only too happy to make the effort if you let them know your concerns. And if the reception, bar or animators seem unhelpful the manager is likely to be floating about somewhere to deal with your every need.

There are 3 well maintained pools and i must say, this is something they improved from when we mentioned it to them on our first stay. Also when the hotel is busy, the animation team put on various shows and activities throughout the day to suit all the guests, as well as a disco in the evening, they host a mini disco for the kids too!! They are very talented!

While I was out there in April I also had an allergic reaction to something and there was a doctor on site who treated me immediately - very grateful!!

I love this hotel and would recommend it to anyone! However be aware that during less busy months there is less to do for the children but it is still a quiet and relaxing getaway all year round.

Room Tip: From experience the town view rooms are noisy during Ramadan (Late July - Early August this year)
  • Stayed: April 2012, traveled with friends
4  Thank NinjaNumbat
Reviewed May 19, 2012

this is my second time staying at the hotel and i loved it!! 4 adults and 2 teenagers and no complaints at all... Mohamed the manager was a star, the staff were all lovely and so helpful, the rooms were spotless thanks to the cleaners who were in every day. we were all treated so well, it was a fantastic holiday, so much so that im booking to go back in July and August. yes the food is a bit basic but there are so many cheap cafes and restaurants nearby, i always book just the b+b and eat out. i would recommend Carusos next door. cant wait til my next hol, would really recommend this hotel as a good base with fantastic friendly staff and great value for money. look out Mohamed, we're coming back!! :)

Room Tip: ask for a sea-view... lovely.
  • Stayed: May 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank Nicola H
Reviewed May 16, 2012

I booked to stay in this property through LowCostHolidays.
This hotel is the absolute worst hotel I have ever stayed in. I am a travel agent myself with years of experience and never have I come across a hotel as dirty as this.
I dont mind basic but never dirty!
The resturant area was filthy...food was soo overcooked the spaghetti was mush. The floors were sticky and food was not swept up.
Our bedroom doors did not lock from the outside so our belongings were not safe.
Toilet was broken and did not flush.....bath had a horrid black ring around it! lovely!
Bed sheets had ciggarete butt holes in them.....TV blew litteraly in my face?!
Entire hotel stunk of fags....even in our room as there was no air-conditioning!
My partner got so sick he literally couldnt breath....I rang back home to England had my mum book me into the Tej Marhaba (lovely fresh hotel) and we left straight away!
DO NOT STAY HERE...THERES A REASON WHY ITS SO CHEAP...ITS FILTHY!
Tej Marhaba was only a few £'s more...shuda booked that from the start!

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled with family