“Bed BUGS, terrible food, lazy waiters and stuff and just a horrible time!!!”

and 1 more site!
Karawan Beach & Resort
Ranked #29 of 36 Hotels in Sousse
Zurich, Switzerland
“Bed BUGS, terrible food, lazy waiters and stuff and just a horrible time!!!”
Reviewed February 13, 2012

The food was cold and disgusting, all week the same, for sweets everyday the same cake and some old apples and oranges. The room was dirty, cleaning ladys seemed to be blind and deaf, even a bit extra money didn't help... and after 2 nights I was bitten all over from bedbugs. Only with great effort did we get poison and a cleaning lady to clean the whole room thoroughly. After this it was ok, but I would never ever book this hotel again.
They have a nice Indoorpool, but its not heated enough and on sunday a swimmschool takes place with local kids.

Room Tip: Take a room to the seaside, the side to the street is extremly noisy.
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled with family
4 Thank leanina

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (127)
  • Czech first
  • Hungarian first
  • Polish first
  • Serbian first
Leeds, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 4, 2012

i have been to this hotel 3 times now and is planning to go back in April. it was very quiet as the time of year is not season time but i have been travelling to Tunisia for many years and stayed in many places with in Tunisia the hotel is beautiful and clean the staff are wonderful and helpful and the maids are always there to stock you up on toilet paper and towels, the reception staff are very friendly and helpful and full of smiles, and the owner of the hotel and manager and director are wonderful people they don't sit in the office they actually come down and mingle with there guest and find out how there doing and if they need any thing. the restaurant is clean and big the food is good but is Tunisian cuisine. the grounds and gardens are lovely and clean and the pools are clean. The animation are always there to keep you entertained there is some videos on you tube of the sketches they do i will put a link on here so you can see the sketch http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PKUlQ-O0X64&feature=g-upl&context=G293ae21AUAAAAAAAGAA
i will all so upload some pictures of the hotel room and grounds so you can see for your self the hotel is beautiful i hope you go back you that didn't recommend it the hotel has changed very much and for you that have never been go and see for you self. thank you for reading this and if you like to know any thing message me i am happy to answer you.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled with family
4 Thank hispwincess70
Zagreb, Croatia
Reviewed January 3, 2012

I was there with friends and we really didn't expect high standards, because it's not a 5* hotel. But even though we didn't have great expectations, we were kind of disappointed. First, it was not clean. The sheets and towels were really dirty, and not to mention the shower! Sometimes I felt more dirty after taking a shower than I did before. Second, our room had a view on the street, which you should definitely avoid (if you're even going to book a room here). We asked for another room at the reception, but they just ignored us and pretended like nothing happened. But we didn't want to argue, so we just stayed in that room we got. And finally, the food... well, if you're used to good stuff - you'll be hungry. It's good enough just to avoid dying from starvation, but nothing more. The positive thing is that you're near the beach (you just have to cross the street). So, if you're used to high or even average european (or similar) standard, I would definitely not recommend you to stay at this hotel. It's only ok for graduation trips or something like that, and for young people who don't really care how clean it is or how bad the food is. For everyone else - just spend some more money and stay at a better hotel. This could just ruin your vacation.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled with friends
1 Thank Faelwen

Travelers are raving about these Sousse hotels

Belfast, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 10, 2011

I choose to stay in Karawan knowing the place was not like the Ritz but booked it as it was cloes to where my friend lives so it would be handy for her, but my god! To me it was nothing more than a hostel!
Arriving just after midnight I checked in & the man at reception just about spoke to me. He then told me one of his colleagues would help me with my luggage. This 'colleague' was dressed in jeans & a tracksuit top & smelling of alcohol. As we went up to my room, walking along the corridors, it was very dark, only every other light was on (like a picture someone has posted).
I got to my room & had a look around. There were blood stains on the bed covers, the covers were ripped & had holes that looked like cigerette burns, the sheets were dirty & smelt musty & the pillows had what looked like the remains of someones make up. The bathroom was filthy! The pillows were also hard as rocks! There were towels placed in odd places in the bathroom & you realised why once you lifted them, it was to hide marks on the counter top. There were cigerette burn marks in the sink & bath. Just even to stand & take a quick look around the bathroom & it just looked dirty. The wood on the bottom of the door was also rotting. Out on to the balcony which was on the road & I had a view of the concrete that surrounded it. People in the street, singing, dancing, shouting, cars driving up & down, was really noisy. The light on the balcony also didn't work. People watched for a while & seen the police stop a car & search the people, I seen Tunisians basically looking for fights with people from Nigeria, I seen a guy sell drugs to a girl. It was quite good viewing but not for what I wanted to see from my hotel balcony.
I knew my friend was going to come down to hotel once I arrived but there was an unexpected knock at the door & there she stood. She came into reception, described me to the man & he told her what room I was in?!!! Not very secure at all!!!
I was definately not comfortable staying here but as it was after 1am, I couldn't ring my tour operator until the morning. That night I 'slept' fully clothed with my coat on the pillow & used my own towel as a blanket. I had booked with Travel Republic & they were completely useless in getting me changed but that's a different compliant.
In my opinion, AVOID AVOID AVOID! It may seem like value for money but spend a few extra pounds & stay somewhere decent. Because of Karawan & Travel Republic being so depressing I left Tunisia on the wednesday to come home (I only arrived on the sunday night) it was just awful! I have been to Tunisia before, this was my first time in Sousse. For anyone booking to go to Tunisia, stay in Port El Kantanoui & if you do stay in Sousse, the Tej Marhaba is a lovely lovely hotel to stay in. Don't get me wrong, considering the hotel was placed in what could be described as a ghetto on one side, the other side was the beach which was beautiful. Usually reading reviews on here you think that most people are just over exagerating but on this occassion, all the reviews are true!

• Stayed November 2011, traveled with friends
2 Thank Gillian M
Bratislava, Slovakia
Reviewed August 23, 2011

I was scared when I booked holiday here and then read the reviews, but after my holiday I'm very happy I chose Karawan. I really don't know why it has so bad reviews, maybe people expect European/USA quality, but guys this is Africa and Arabic world. For this location it's well worth 3*.
Service we received was very good and all the stuff were really helpful. Housekeeping lady didn't speak english, but she was trying to do her job good. Sometimes she forgot to change towels, or put a new soap, so I would give her 3/5. Reception was helpful when asked about something. They also can change your money and provide safe for 3TD/day. Great service was provided by waiters and barmen. They were running all around place taking used plates and cleaning tables with smiles on their faces and jokes to entertain you (they speak english). Food was good a lot of things to choose from (but not maybe after 10 days) and they were refilling everything quickly (less quickly with deserts at dinner, they were gone the minute they brought them). You can find something if you are vegetarian and also if you like meat (chicken, beef, fish). Drinks were good even though they gave it to us in 2dcl plastic cups during day (in restaurant in glass of course). Alcohol was gin, vodka, whisky and 3 local drinks unlimited (we had All inclusive). Animation stuff was funny and keeping good mood near pool during day and little show every night. So for waiters, barmen and animators I would give 5/5.
Room was nothing special. The thing you can expect from few years old Tunisian 3* hotel (but they are reconstructing it). I've seen much better rooms, but you will not stay in room for a long time on holiday like this.
Location of hotel is very good if you want to experience local culture, but to have some privacy too. On one side of hotel is road with local shops and Medina (historical center is 10-15 minutes of walk) on the other side is second road and beach behind it (really just 5 meters from hotel property). Beach is public. You can get sunbed for 3DT/day on guarded part of beach or use public part with other Tunisians, anyway sea is same for all :) Beach is sandy and water clear with little waves in evening (and few small medusas sometimes). In hotel you have 3 pools (indoor, one with toboggan and one with animations) and 3 bars (pool and reception in AI, third is with snooker and is payed).
The most I liked service, location and optional 2-day trip to Sahara. What I didn't like were too aggressive retailers and that all that most Tunisians wanted were just money, money and money. But that is not fault of hotel. If you don't require high European standard and want just to spend nice holiday in ok conditions I would definitely recommend Karawan hotel.
Few tips: You'll meet people in city saying they are your barman or cook. Don't trust them, they know from which hotel you are from AI band on your hand and all they want is to sell you jewelery. Bargain about price, pretend you don't want item and walk out of shop, they will go down. If they give you price, give them 1/10 (then you can get to 15-20% of original). They will try to get you to shop by all means. If you don't want, don't talk, don't look on them or their products. I know it's rude, but it's the only thing that helps. Sometimes they say you have to do something because it's tradition, but in most cases it's not, it's just sales trick.

Room Tip: We were asked to pay 30 EUR on arrival for less noisy room with sea view. Payed 20 (you can get even...
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple
7 Thank Liquidus69
Calgary, AB
Reviewed August 19, 2011

Wow! Our travel agent screwed us with this hotel. Literally within hours of being at the hotel we wanted to go back home and leave the country.

- beds are disgusting, look at the pictures people have put up and reality is only worse
- a king size bed for this hotel is two doubles put together, with their frames in tact
- the food is horrible and inedible, and there are no restaurants nearby that are any better
- the bathrooms are unsanitary, a smaller hand held shower in the corner of the bathroom with a drain
- the carpets, sheets, towels all stink like mould
- the pools are gross, never would venture in
- the beach is disgusting and across a street
- the ocean water is horrible, there are a couple of oil refineries within walking distance on the ocean
- the street vendors harass you and will try to split you and your significant other up so they can try to sell you both something
- the staff is horrible, don't help

If you are booked here, just forget the trip, leave the country, go anywhere else. IF you could give a place a negative rating, I would!

• Stayed June 2011, traveled as a couple
6 Thank cowtown10
Reviewed May 15, 2011

I mean it was like mr bean running the place and i would off jumped out of a plane ,book this hotle if you like a good old smelly hotle and they should make a im at prima life GET! ME! OUT! OF! HERE! and ali baba is ReLlY annoying i would stay on a lost island for 10 years then speak to him!.... DONT BOOK THIS PLACE!

• Stayed June 2010
4 Thank LawrenceBey
Also consider these accommodations in or near Sousse
Tej Marhaba Hotel
Hotel & Casino Cesar Palace
El Kantaoui Center
El Kantaoui Center
#14 of 33 in Port El Kantaoui

Been to Karawan Beach & Resort? Share your experiences!