“Good holiday”

Ranked #14 of 35 Hotels in Sousse
Nottingham, United Kingdom
“Good holiday”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 6, 2010

I went to Egypt last year & completey hated it so I was worried about returning to North Africa again & after reading some past reviews of theTej, I was very worried about staying there. Well let me tell you, I needn't have been worried.

I'd booked a week away with Thomas Cook half board & I'd paid next to nothing. I'd got a lot with how little I'd paid.

OK, so arriving at Monastir airport was an experience in itself, not a good one I'll add. We queued for 45 minutes to go through passport control. I thought the coach would have left without us! There were only 3 people workin for 2 flights that had come in. It was chaos. Anyway, so after that experience, I boarded the bus on the way to Sousse. Whilst on the bus I'd wondered what I'd let myself in for. The place looked run down & there was rubbish at the sides of the road. This fear went away when we reached Sousse itself & even better, the Tej.

We arrived to a friendly receptionist that informed us of where our rooms were, how to get a deposit box & how to fill out the entry card. Then it was up to our room. Now I will admit that whilst downstairs is beautiful, the corridoors upstairs & the rooms do need a refurb. Our room was fine for it's purpose though. The bed was comfy, there was enough wardrobe space & the shower was very powerful. I don't know why people complain about the smell coming from the toilets, ours didn't smell & its in a room of it's own.

After we'd got settled we headed down to get some dinner. You get your own table & waiter for your whole stay & the waiter even learns what you drink. Our waiter was called Makram & he was very pleasant & helpful. Please remember that these people work crazy hours for little pay. Dinner didn't finish till 9, 10 at night & breakfast started again at 6! There is always plenty of food on & a lot of choice. I put some weight on purely due to the amount of puddings on offer. Breakfast is also good with a lot of choice. I mostly stuck to cereal, toast, pancakes & donuts.

There are lots of facilities in the hotel that we made use of. There are pool tables, a spa (which you have to try, The staff can't do enough for you & its so cheap for what you got. I went twice), 2 pools, a shopping centre, a cafe, bars, a gym, a internet cafe & a hairdressers. All with very friendly staff.

The beach is OK, but I'm not a beach lover. I only went to make my man happy!! There is a snack bar over there & toilets. To be honest,the beach wasn't that nice as there are fag butts all over the sand.

If you don't want to eat at the hotel on day, you have to go to the Saloon. The portions are huge for what you pay & its so tasty. Also, try the Rose & Crown or the Oasis snack bar at lunch for some good food.

Our rep was called Tina who was very helpful. We booked a few trips with her: African Dream (book this one its a great afternoon/evening), Medina Ramble (a great Tunisian experience), El Jem & the reps caberet night.

We visited Port El Kantoui during our stay too & that was lovely. Its a pretty town with a nice marina, fountains, an aqua park, a mini zoo & a theme park. Worth a visit.

There are more than enough things to do in the evening even if the hotel entertainment wasn't that great. There are plenty or bars, lots of shopping & even bowling.

Overall, a week was not long enough for me. There was so much I still wanted to see & do but I'll be back to Tunisia again. Please don't let some reviews on here put you off. You'll have an amazing time.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled as a couple
2 Thank everdreamer

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (420)
  • Arabic first
  • Czech first
  • Hungarian first
  • Polish first
Warrington, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 5, 2010

When we arrived we were greeted with a complimentory drink, the reception staff were very pleasent and proffesional and dealt with us very quickly when we were given our room the hotel porter took our luggage up for us which we gave a small tip for, The room was spacious and clean and was kept the same all through our stay, The food was good but sometimes a bit repetative which you kind of expect but still enough choice the entertainment in the afternoon is Ok the entertainment team were great, but at night the entertainment is not up to much so had to go out of hotel were you do sometimes get mithered by shop keepers and street peddlers and scammers so watch out for them. Overall a great hotel to stay in and came back relaxed and would go back there again.

1 Thank forbman8
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 29, 2010

We spent 2 weeks in Tej Marhaba and we are very pleased. Hotel is enourmous,with its own shopping center and plenty of pubs.
Rooms: rooms very clean, air conditioning, nice balcony. We had room 516 with lovely sea side view and pool view. Rooms were very nice as for this price and as for 3 star hotel(!!!!), it needs some refurbishement but realy I do not think you are going on hols to spend time only in the room...Toilets and bathrooms were clean too.
Staff: Staff were very polite and helpful, I do not know why do people complain about them. We had very nice waiter and all staff had very good English.
Food: we took half board and I think it is the best choice for this hotel. For breakfast there is not too big choice and every day is the same, but I think everyone will find something. I love pancakes and I ate it almost every day :)
Dinners were deliciouse and honestly I wanted to eat everything but I couldnt:( They had fantastic desserts and cakes. Food is very cheap in tunisia so for lunch you can spend 5 dinars ( around £2.5 ) and have a chance to try tunisian food as well. I heard that all-inclusive customers were not very happy with the service so if I were you I would choose half board.
Beach: we were going to the beach cos it was very nice- white sand, clean, lovely water. hotel has got its own beach which is good. Unfortunately beach staff is not very kind, when ramadan started they decided to use it as an excuse and they wanted to close the beach at 4.30 what for me was shocking bacause I did not come here to stay in the hotel. I was told in reception that beach should be open till 6 and they said they would sort it out for us- so next day boys just turned their heads from us , without even saying hello and decided to ignore us and one of them was just staring at us annoyed what did not make me feel comfortable. The most annoying was the fact that they said it is ramadan but they were eating, drinking and smoking during the day ( what is not allowed in ramadan).
Entertainment: every night there is something for guest in the hotel, but we decided to enjoy our time in Taj Mahal cafe which is just on the left from the main entrance of the hotel and is amazing place.(it is part of the hotel) We always get shisha and mint tea which we really loved and you could feel real Tunisia in the air. The staff is really nice and we were welcomed there every day very warm.
Flight: We travelled with Thomas Cook for the first time and for sure for the last.
Our plane to Monastir was delayed around 2,5 hour so instead of flighing at 10.55 pm our plane took off at 1.20 am- nightmare. On the way back plane was delayed 1,5 hour!!!! We were divided into 2 groups, people with in-flight meals and without. People who had meals in flew with Thomas Cook airlanes on time(??!!) and because we did not have we were located into Aurelia Airline plane which looked scary and unsafe and the flight was not very nice at all. I felt like a second category customer flighing in Aurelia Airline plane just because I did not have meal in- having meal in for 3 hours flight is just silly for me. I am upset because I chose night flight to be sure that I fly with Thomas Cook airlines and I was put into lithuanian airlines....how sad is that. There was also morning flight with Tunisair but we gave up on it. . Unfortunately the flight was so stressfull that I am not going to buy holiday with Thomas Cook again and I will go back to much better Thomson.
In general fantastic holiday and we really recommend the hotel.Thomas Cook I do not recommend flight with them. If you want something more sophisticated go opposite to newly opened Movenpick- great hotel but of course more expensive ;)

1 Thank kasia0808
london
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 23, 2010

i have to say after reading all the reviews i was scared to go, but to my expectation the hotel was sound, good and very friendly staff. The hotel was always clean, the pull was clean and the area around it. From the reviews i have to say i never had any of that mishap. I went at a time of ramadan, which is the muslim holy month, all the people were fasting and they still put up smile in the hot weather. As this people are on quite low wages they do rely on tips and if you give them the apprecation you get is great and the service. I tipped the cleaner every other day and my rooms were cleaned and beds done up etc

• Stayed August 2010, traveled with family
3 Thank vip2316
Hereford, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 18, 2010

Me and my husband stayed here for two weeks from 1st-15th August on a half board basis. After reading the reviews posted on here we were both skeptical about what would lie ahead, however we had an excellent holiday.

The staff were lovely and nothing was too much for them to do. Our room was always clean and tidy with the cleaners always speaking and saying hello.
The restuarant was good, with you being assigned a table for the duration of a stay and a waiter. After one week of us being there our waiter knew what drinks we ordered and had them ready for us every evening.
Breakfast had a wide range of options including both continental and fry-up options. Evening meals had great variety including starter, main and pudding.
Half board customers are treated better than all inclusive so definatley go half board as lunch for two of us cost 10TD which was about £5.00 for a pizza and two cans of pop.

The area was great with there being a variety of shops in the local area where you can buy food, drinks and souvenirs.

We went on numerous vacations including a tour of the medina which was an excellent insight to the old Sousse and in and around the medina walls.

5 Thank CTrotman
Craigavon, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 17, 2010

I stayed here for two weeks with my husband, 15 year old son and my brother. We arrived early morning and were checked in straight away. The rooms were spacious with large balconies, fridge, hairdryer and plenty of wardrobe space. Yes as in other reviews they weren't very modern but they were very clean. The maids were in every day with fresh towels with some amusing art work!! We had swans smoking pipes with sunglasses on!!! In the restaurant you were allocated your table for duration of your stay which was great and your own waiter who brought your drinks at lunch and dinner. The breakfasts were good with fresh eggs, omlettes and crepes every day. At lunch and dinner there were plenty of salads and choices of potatoes, pasta and around 10 choices. No one could say they would go hungary. The deserts were amazing as were the soups in the evening. There were plenty of sun beds and Ali was always about to get you a mat or find you a space whatever time of the day you came down. We were normally early and a small tip kept our sunbeds and parasol every day in the same spot. The snakcs were good although the staff at the Oasis Bar were quite slow and not as friendly as the ones in the Americain Bar. Sabeel, Wedgy and Ali were good fun and after a day knew what you were drinking without having to ask. Drinks were served in plastic glasses during the day if you were taking them to the pool which I think is a good idea but at all other times they were in glasses and we had no complaints. The entertainment during the day was there if you wanted it with plenty going on and at night it was usually bingo, fashion shows and a few fun nights which ended at 11.15 pm. We only ate out twice just for a change and to go into Port El Kantoui which is worth a visit. Also the beach is close by although the road is busy but once you are there you have a AI bar which serves snacks and drinks and free sunbeds. I think for what we paid (around £720 each) for two weeks it was very good value. We would come back here if returning to Sousse.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled with family
3 Thank Jillbest1
Huntingdon, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 17, 2010

Firstly, I am a sixteen year old girl, so I hope that my review will help any other teenagers or possibly concerned parents to get a balanced review.

My family and I booked our holiday at Easter, after many long hours of trawling through the Thomas Cook website, and when we did so had not read any of the reviews. As it got closer to our departure though, I started reading these reviews just out of interest (it got to a slight obsession and I ended up reading over 100!), and the mixed comments that the hotel had about everything really confused and worried me. I also knew that my parents felt uncomfortable about the safety of myself and my sister, who is thirteen. We chose to stay All Inclusive, for the first time.

TRANSFER: We had a good flight from Birmingham and arrived in Monastir at around 17.30. It was on the transfer that I got my first real look at the country. My first impression was that of shock. A lot of the places you pass look like they have been hit by a bomb, and you don't think about the fact that people live there until you see them walking in and out. This is particularly prevalent in the more rural areas. There is also a fair bit of construction work going on, as we saw in Sousse on our way to the hotel.
HOTEL: The Tej Marhaba looks very impressive from the outside and inside the lobby, with lots of marble and spotlessly clean surfaces. It didn't take us very long to check-in, but we did have to fill in a card with our details.
*Note: Keep your passports somewhere accessible as you will need them on the plane and when you check in for the number*
We took our own bags to our rooms on the sixth floor and tried the infamous elevators for the first time. We used the lifts close to the American Bar for the first few days, but after that switched to the ones by the restaurant as we found that these did not take as long to come after they were called and the screens showing the numbers work better. When we got to the rooms, we took a look inside. They were opposite each other and so had different views. The pool view was definitely superior! However, this room hadn't been made up so we asked for different rooms at reception. The staff were very polite and accommodating and our new rooms were adjacent with pool (and sea) views. I found the hotel to be very clean and tidy, and the maids did an excellent job, but the corridors to the rooms are dark and quite dingy. Also, be careful when around any wet floors- they do not put signs up and it is incredibly easy to slip (I did twice in one day!).
ROOMS: The rooms themselves were clean and comfortable, surprisingly spacious, with plenty of desk type space. Our television remote didn't have batteries but we didn't bother asking for them because we didn't feel the need for it. We did use the radio though, and it had a nice mix of music, with both traditional and Western music (I heard Ke$ha and La Roux amongst others). My sister and I were suppose to have twin beds, but it turned out that this was actually two single mattresses on a double base. However, this didn't bother us, as it was like having separate beds; they were just next to each other. We discovered the first morning the only problem with our room: the toilet didn't flush. However, we reported this to reception and they sent a plumber up and we had it fixed within hours. Unfortunately, this left some water on the floor which was not mopped up until the next day (the maid had already been in), but this was fine- the water was not manky or anything, so we just wore flip-flops in there. The shower was good and worked properly, although sometimes the temperature fluctuated a bit, but not too much. Unlike many of the other reviews have suggested, I never experienced any foul smells from the bathroom, but I do not know if it was different for any of the other rooms.
DINING: I found dining in the Tej very pleasant, although I will admit that I wasn't supremely adventurous in what I chose to eat. I found myself abstaining from eating meat on many days, but not because it was not nice- I just didn't feel like it. They offer a lot of pasta and rice dishes, as well as some form of potato and poultry every night. There was also fish (the fried whiting was delicious!) and various salads. Personally, I found that lunch in the restaurant was often quite similar to dinner, but without as many sauces and varieties of salad. I have read that the eggs are delicious but upsetting to the stomach; I cannot possibly testify as I did not try any but they were quite a staple in the food offered. Breakfast was nice, not as much variety but then you don't need it: the way I see it, I would have had much less choice if I was still at home. The pancakes that they make are a nice treat, but you might have to wait a while if you like to go to breakfast early: they don't start making them until about 7.30. As others have mentioned, the selection available for breakfast is quite different from Britain, with rice pudding (for want of a better name), salad and doughnuts replacing our bacon!
For lunch we would often go to the oasis bar (from 14.30 onwards), where they served baguettes, pizza and spaghetti. I read a complaint from someone who said that the AI pizzas weren’t as good as those given to the HB. I have to say that I thought them very nice, and they are all home made- if you actually go into the oasis bar you will see the chef with the bases and toppings ready for orders. I also thought it novel to have a square pizza instead of the boring old round ones!
The drinks served at the Tej Marhaba are mostly in small glasses for people staying All Inclusive, but in plastic cups during the daytime. This has been given a lot of stick. The way I see it, you can order two or even three drinks (the ‘two drinks per person’ rule isn’t enforced) at a time to compensate for the small size, and I think that at least with plastic cups, you don’t have to worry about breaking them. *Note: The Oasis and American bars will both give you a 1.5 litre bottle if you ask for water, whereas the restaurant and beach bar will only give you cups/glasses each time, so think about how much you want/can carry!*
STAFF: My experience of the hotel’s staff was wholly positive. I did not meet one grumpy face, and I found them all very friendly, even if you did not know them well. On our first night we were shown to our table in the restaurant and met our waiter, Ounnaies. He was so lovely, and really went out of his way to look after us. We tipped him 1 dinar every time, which he always thoroughly deserved, as he always had a smile even when he was rushed off his feet. He also took my parents to the Medina on his day off, and on our final night took my dad to a cafe to try the ‘hubbly bubbly’. The other waiting staff in the restaurant and the oasis bar were equally as friendly and were always willing to have a talk and a joke. The cynical amongst you would say that they were just angling for tips, but to be honest, even if they were, they deserved them anyway, so there was no objection to giving them. Ali, the sunbed guy, was very helpful and we would tip him for getting the mattresses each day, although this shouldn’t have been strictly necessary, as we were perfectly capable of doing it ourselves and got up early enough so that finding sunbeds was never a problem (my dad and I were usually at the poolside by 8 am in the morning). At the end of the day though, 1 dinar is less than 50p, so hardly going to break the bank. It also means that if you do turn up when it is busier they are going to be more helpful in finding you a good spot. Mohammed, the ‘master swimmer’, is lovely and will talk to everyone, but beware: he is a very formidable water polo player! And also, the rumour that All Inclusive guests cannot get pool waiter service is false: you only have to ask (and tip!). Our Thomas Cook rep, Tina, did say that there had been some problems but they were now straightened out.
ENTERTAINMENT: While I was there, the Animation staff worked very hard to make sure that everybody was entertained and try and get as many people up to join in as possible (on one of the days, Abdul literally pulled me out of the swimming pool to get me to play darts). However, Momo disappeared after a week and Abdul a few days after. I heard rumours about what happened but I don’t know if they can be confirmed. I would say that the daytime activities are better than in the evening, where there is a lot of bingo and the mini disco every night (I found myself hiding from this!). The dances that Tito will show you to do at the end of water aerobics in the day are hilarious and the aerobics themselves are a good workout for those of you who want to do some fun exercise.
EXCURSIONS: The only arranged excursion that I went on was the two day Sahara Explorer. It was absolutely EPIC!!! It is well worth the money and an amazing experience that you will never forget. The camels were my favourite- they were so lovely and majestic and I found riding mine (Mostafar) surprisingly easy. Although do be aware that the first day consists of mainly a VERY long coach journey. My parents also went on the Medina Ramble and said that it was a good way to be shown around but the amount of people meant that it was very difficult getting through and really hot.
SAFETY AND SECURITY: I wasn’t sure how I would find Tunisia and the people there, but I have to say that my experience was great. I did find it very unnerving, especially at first, to find lots of men looking at me, but I found the best way to cope is to avoid eye contact and say nothing. It sounds really harsh, as all of the locals that I met (staff, tour guides etc.) were really lovely, but I didn’t want to risk anything, and I think I came off better because of it. On my first night, I went out for a walk in Sousse with my family. This was definitely uncomfortable, as we stuck out like a sore thumb, but as the holiday went on, we all began to grow more comfortable with our surroundings. For first timers though, especially if you are like me, I would recommend that you do not venture far in the evenings at first, and stay in a group. In my experience, I found the people to be friendly and harmless, but it is more sensible in my opinion to familiarise yourself with your surroundings first.
Overall, I had a fantastic holiday and would definitely recommend the hotel. It is not perfect, and I am sure that many of the complaints are legitimate, but my time was excellent.
I hope that people have found this useful. If you do have any questions (and if you have not been completely bored by this review), please let me know!

• Stayed August 2010, traveled with family