“An honest answer, but not a rant!”
Review of Tej Marhaba Hotel

Tej Marhaba Hotel
Ranked #16 of 36 Hotels in Sousse
Reviewed July 6, 2014

Firstly, this holiday was booked as a late deal and we wanted cheap which is what Tej Mahaba offered. After reading reviews, admittedly I was put off slightly.. However, now I have experienced a stay at this hotel I would like to share them on here, so people will go with a better idea than some other reviews!

Hotel- A nice looking hotel with some beautiful features (fountain, chandelier) miles better than some in surrounding areas! 7/10

Reception- Most may say rude and arrogant, I would have to agree barring one young women who was able to hold a smile and seemed nice enough. Exchanging money always seemed to be an issue though, they never seemed 'Happy to help' Also it is recommended you have a safety deposit box, it seems when you ask about this, they say come back tomorrow.. which really would be no good if your room is broken into that night. 3/10

Waiters and Bar staff- Experienced ups and downs with these, some bar staff liked to have a laugh with you etc. Others served warm drinks and seemed unpleasant. Some waiters are OK, some ignorant (they all want tips, the more you tip the better the service)
However, from my personal experience we had a waiter called Ali who really made us feel welcome we were looked after even if we did not tip and we were very greatful! 5/10 our waiter (10/10)

Our room- GREAT.. on paper we were given a 'side' sea room, I was expecting to have to crane my neck to see the sea however, it was perfect 'slightly' side sea but our view was brilliant. The bed is not a 5* but it is huge, so you do not have to worry about getting too hot next to your partner or whoever. We had a TV which had some good films on! Our fridge proved very useful. Our terrace was relatively good and out bathroom did it's job! Our toilet flushed and the flower turned on full blast. It's not amazing facilities i.e. old tiles, some rust and very basic but if you are looking for cheap then do not be fussy. 7/10

Cleaners- Our room was cleaned every day, bedding was changed and towels were given.. It is lovely returning to the room with air con on curtains drawn and a swan towel on the bed.. (we left out dinars for them to collect when we returned to the UK) 10/10

Bars- If you are all inclusive, I suppose you cannot complain but you have paid so my honest opinion is the consistency was nil. One drink in a plastic party cup, the next in a wine glass, you really don't know what to expect. Some times it is lovely, others you have a warm sex on the beach (not nice!) You can have as many bottles of water as you want though (always a good thing) If you are a person with particular tastes to wine, beer etc.. here is not for you. 4/10

Food/Restaurant- TIP- get there early like everyone else, I really wouldn't go one hour before closing because you will be disappointed.. no bowels, no cups.. it is quite annoying, they randomly bring 3 plates out.. which are obviously gone before you get to them anyway. I really do recommend getting there at opening or a bit later if you want a good meal!
Food is what you should expect some really nice, others not so nice, if your up for trying new things go for it! We never suffered from an upset stomach, so I can imagine the cleanliness being OK. The food is a little repetitive, I only went for a week so I can imagine two becoming too much.. Pudding is nice snack pudding which I could always manage!! Again waiters.. hoping you get a nice one like ours are efficient when needed.. We have had some bad experiences also where tables around us are just filled with plates and as a recommendation to the restaurant.. why don't they just clean a table up at a time rather than take a glass of each table, really makes no sense.. I've seen people in management helping with service.. not sure where the organisation is.. again we enjoyed our meals.. if your not fussy then it's not a problem! 6/10

Pool/sunbeds- lovely.. quite clean, child friendly and very relaxing.. TIP people put towels on beds to save,. this is allowed.. which can be frustrating but can be beneficial to you, we had to get up at 7 to get a good spot and go back to bed.. seems silly but it's the way it works! There is a bar near the pool area which is useful.. Ice cream is served at 2.. in a plastic cup nothing special, but refreshing! There is an indoor pool which looks quite nice 6/10

Activities/entertainment- They try.. aqua aerobics, water polo, darts through the day (every day) night time- a live band which was disappointing, other nights it was kids activities and one karaoke which is always fun to listen to ~(from afar) Overall 5/10

Surrounding areas- Please be careful and do not trust anyone! Nothing is free even if they say it is and you do not want to be getting hassled by someone for money because they offered you a picture with their horse etc. People will target you but keep your bag close and never be alone! Tunisia is a beautiful but poor country.

Just to add if we wanted another cheap holiday, we would return, it was pleasant and it all ran quite smoothly. One improvement i'd point out is the carpets in corridors.. they need to be ripped up.. they do let the place look dingy and dirty!
Thank you for our visit!

Room Tip: Front or side sea view!!
  • Stayed: July 2014, traveled as a couple
8  Thank Sophie S
TEJMARHABA, Guest Relations Manager at Tej Marhaba Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded July 8, 2014

Thank you for taking the time to write your review and glad you enjoyed your holiday. We do appreciate your constructive feedback which enables us to try better in the future. We look forward to welcoming you back another time.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,611)

Reviewed July 4, 2014

Just back from two weeks in the Tej Marhaba.
Where to start.The only plus points were the bar area,and the pool area.
The staff were very pleasant and efficient.
Reception:All staff apart from one made excuses for everything that was brought to their attention.Our first week there was no A/C all staff apart from one guy on nights kept telling me it will be on in a couple of day's.When in fact it wasn't getting switched on till July 15th, Which is when they put it on every year.Three days for batteries for a TV remote,only after putting the dead ones on reception the new ones arrived.So all in all very poor.

Room: A lot to be desired,looking out onto waste ground and onto the roofs of service buildings.
Constant smell of drains.A wardrobe for two people approx. 18" wide,so most clothes lay flat on the spare bed.So this room was for three people so where could they hang their clothes.
Some days the clean towels had a very unpleasant smell.We found the only way to get the floor hovered was to drop broken biscuits on the floor.
The beds have to be the most uncomfortable beds I have ever slept on.

Restaurant : What happened to the dress code for dinner they have one but they don't apply it.Not very pleasant sitting looking at someone in beech wear whilst eating.A lot to be desired a lot of middle management standing daily doing nothing.Waiters not cleaning tables,re using dirty tablecloths several times.
Never enough cutlery,always salt or pepper missing,also napkins.
The toaster is useless bread had to go thro 5/6 times.
The food in general was very poor tough meats,dry chicken,tasteless veg.
Not to be recommended.

Barbeque : This area for all inclusive at lunch times.
All the plastic tables are dirty,and most broken.The only decent thing to eat was pizza.The rest either tough or cold.The staff not as good as the bar staff.

Beech: The staff very nice and polite.
But the beech needs cleaning up parasols all over the place,and the sand should be raked.

In my opinion they need a Food and Beverage manager,to control the restaurant and the bars.Maybe they have one because the guy running the bars seems to be hands on.Which they havn't got in the restaurants.
This hotel would have to change a lot before I would consider returning.

Room Tip: You must get a pool view room.
2  Thank PeterKeighley
TEJMARHABA, Guest Relations Manager at Tej Marhaba Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded July 5, 2014

We are very sorry to hear that we did not meet your expectations. If you had spoken to us and told us that you were unhappy with your room, then we could have moved you to another room of your choice. Unfortunately it is very difficult to impose a dress code in the restaurant as some of the guests do not heed the notices and get very angry when approached about it. The waiters do clear the tables but as the restaurant is working to full capacity it may take them a little longer. The barbecue serves exactly the same menu as the main restaurant. We have taken note of all your comments and will try to improve our service in the future. Thank you for your review and maybe we can change your mind about visiting us again.

Reviewed July 3, 2014

My boyfriend and I stayed at this hotel in July 2013, for 10 nights. After reading some of the reviews a few days before we flew out, it's safe to say I was very nervous as some of them had been dreadful! I needn't have worried though, we had a fantastic time! It's not the best hotel ever but its good and you get what you pay for!
The rooms and corridors are fairly dated, but our room was always cleaned well and who wants to be in their room for all of their holiday anyway. The pool area and the pool itself was very clean, and the staff were very helpful with sorting out sunbeds. I did tip them 1 dinar for their help and I would recommend doing this because it gets you better service and its not exactly a lot! The restaurant was good, plenty of food choices including pastas, pizza, rice dishes and different meats. Our waiter in the restaurant was Ali, and he was very friendly and made us feel welcome.
The hotel lobby and the rest of the facilities were all very clean, and most of the staff were very friendly (bar some of the reception ladies!)
The beach is lovely, and again you get help with sunbeds and the little café is nice. My boyfriend liked the pizza for lunch! (we went half board)
A trip to the medina is worth it, although you will get hassled, you can get some nice things but be prepared to barter the prices down.
If you want to eat out at all, we highly recommend a little restaurant just outside the hotel, its on the front of the street kind of opposite the beach entrance and is blue and white. I cant remember the name but they did the best Carbonara pasta we've ever had, it was amazing.
Only thing I would complain about is the Wi-Fi it was very slow, but then again a lot of people were trying to use it and who needs the internet on holiday anyway!

Room Tip: Ask for a high up room for a sea view, our view was a big white dome on the back of the hotel!
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
4  Thank Hollywhitehead12
TEJMARHABA, Guest Relations Manager at Tej Marhaba Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded July 4, 2014

Thank you for taking the time to write your informative review. Glad you enjoyed your holiday and we look forward to welcoming you back another day.

Reviewed July 2, 2014 via mobile

Stayed here June 2008, weather was fantastic, hotel standards in and around the lobby and restaurant was lovely. Pretty columns etc. Room was basic but clean. Lots of birds around so do expect droppings on balcony. Wide variety of dinner. We broke our stay up by going on the 3 day safari which was fantastic. Hotels we stayed at were great and get to see lots of other parts of the country and Star Wars set, as well as a train journey through the mountains and horse and cart through a oasis. Entertainment was basic but may have changed since we went.
Pool was clean and beach is a short walk away.

Worth jumping in a cheap cab to port el katoui ( spelling may be wrong!) harbour " tourist town " lots more to do and places to eat.

Stayed: July 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Lesley1ann

Thank you for your review and glad you enjoyed your stay with us. We look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Reviewed June 30, 2014

Was so surprised with this hotel, honestly can't see what people were moaning about on here. Arrived at around 11am after a slightly delayed TCX flight, checkin was fast and our luggage was taken to our room, 5656. Prior to arriving we made room requests for high floor and pool view, both were arranged at checkin by the helpful staff. Rooms are very nice, spacious, power showers, good air con and a big balcony. The rooms are cleaned daily by the maids who do a fantastic job and are very accommodating if you need anything else in your room. The only disappointment was the stairways and corridors, very dirty in places but that doesn't really matter.The pool is very nice, absolutely freezing but very nice and plenty of sunbeds available if you're up early. Entertainment round the pool is good, a couple of friendly Tunisian lads who put a lot of effort in. Bowls, water aerobics and table tennis are the main activity's daily. Used the indoor pool a couple of times as the weather wasn't great the first couple of days, that's nice and warm and has a jacuzzi attached. If you want a hotel with a decent gym, this is not for you, I was very disappointed with the equipment, pretty sure all of it apart from the treadmill was broken. The food was very impressive, a mixture of local and European dishes, no problem with that at all. Drink prices were good as well, worked out about £1.50 for a beer and £1.00 for coke/sprite etc. I wouldn't use the hotel shop, absolute rip off. Nip over the road to the right of the toy shop and there is a little supermarket. Overall, brilliant stay. Would 100% recommend. Worth visiting the medina as well, go on your own not with the rep, completely safe and everyone's friendly!

Room Tip: High floor, better view. (obviously)
2  Thank fenners56
TEJMARHABA, Guest Relations Manager at Tej Marhaba Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded July 2, 2014

Glad to know that you had a brilliant stay. Just to point out that our gym is closed due to refurbishment and those machines in the indoor pool vicinity were placed there for the guests pleasure and at no extra cost. Thank you for your review and we look forward to welcoming you back again another day.

Reviewed June 30, 2014

I stayed here for two weeks in June on an "all inclusive" basis.
As many people have stated the Hotel was "very tired" carpets were grubby and threadbare in places.
During the first week there was a smell of bad eggs in the corridor outside my room, however this did not linger on after the first week.

The self-service restaurant has quite a number of waiters this would be useful if only they would clear the table after people have eaten. Time and time again I was unable to find a clear table hence had to clear one and find some cutlery. This is exacerbated by the fact that the waiters take money from guests so as to reserve tables for them. Time and time again I sat next to several reserved tables whilst I partook of a leisurely three course meal, the tables remaining unoccupied from start to finish. Get a grip it's a "self-service restaurant"!

On a more serious note I have some concerns with regard to safety standards as follows:

I noted that the hairdryer in the bathroom could be used whilst sat in the bath. Furthermore when I used it the lights dimmed. This prompted me to establish how the consumer unit was configured. The answer is that there is no consumer unit. At the back of the wardrobe the incoming electrical supply connects to a terminal rail on to which all the sockets, lights etc are connected. There are no circuit breakers or fuses. There are two issues here, firstly the wires to the sub-circuits are much smaller than the supply and in the event of a partial short circuit they will probably overheat and catch fire. Secondly whilst I assume that there are fuses elsewhere they must be sized such that they are capable of supplying the entire room, not ideal as this is the only line of defence.

Perhaps more importantly there are access hatches to vertical service ducts within the corridors on each floor. Whilst the doors are fitted with locks they do not work hence anyone can open them. Worst case scenario a child playing hide and seek on the seventh floor notices the door opens it and jumps into the dark interior. They will probably fall to their death and even if someone heard them scream would they respond? Probably not given that young children often scream for effect.

I noticed that there were two fire hose reels that were fitted at high level near the shopping mall area. Both reels were empty, I found this somewhat strange, why have empty fire hose reels?

I had hoped to use the Gym however this consisted of a broken multigym, two bikes and a treadmill all of which were located within the very hot Spa area. Attempting strenuous exercise at this sort of temperature is never going to be a good idea.

I consider the food hygiene to be questionable; on several occasions I chose a piece of cooked chicken from the hotplate only to find that it was warm on the outside but cold on the inside. It's difficult to prove but I suspect that left over food was being recycled.

The good news is that the lager and red wine were very good; just make sure that the glass is clean particularly if you frequent the snack bar near the pool.

With regard to rooms note that odd numbers face the front whilst even numbers face the pool.
I was on the front and was woken up throughout the night by traffic noise which rattled the windows. I finally cured this by wedging toilet paper in the window frames! There is also a small factory unit that borders the hotel at the front, this can be very noisy.

If you are offered a 1st floor room then try to get a move to another floor as the room will be noisy and the view may-well be restricted by the hotel structure.

Room Tip: Even numbers, low numbers get the morning sun and vice versa.
  • Stayed: June 2014, traveled solo

Thank you for your review. As you can appreciate, our restaurant is very busy at the moment but had you sat at a table a waiter would have been along very quickly to clear and reset the table for you.Guests do not have to clear the table themselves. I have been assured by our maintenance head that our electrical system is in order and conforms to regulations, we would never take risks with the guests' safety, in fact it is our number one priority. All the old service hatches in the corridors are in the process of being replaced. Our gym is closed due to refurbishment so those machines in the indoor pool vicinity have been placed there by the managment for the guests pleasure and are free of charge.I do not know of any small factory unit in front of this hotel, there are only apartments, restaurants and other hotels. Thank you for your comments which have all been noted.

Reviewed June 30, 2014

Me & my husband came here for 1 week in june for our honeymoon, we were sceptical as had read the reviews before hand but it was the best holiday ever! we were half board and there was a great choice of food on offer at nights..something for everyone. Breakfast was also good. Staff were very nice, Room was great, had an issue with our toilet not flushing but we reported it to reception and it was fixed within a couple of hours. Pool was amazing great to sit and relax at. All in all a great place to go on holiday, will be returning next year with our children.

1  Thank natalie r

So glad you enjoyed your honeymoon with us. Many congratulations! Thank you for your review and we look forward to seeing you back again next year with your children.