“Never Again”

Ranked #14 of 35 Hotels in Sousse
Sheffield, United Kingdom
“Never Again”
Reviewed November 19, 2013

I read the reviews on trip advisor and was a lttle haprehensive to say the least, when we arrived we should have had evening meal only to be told dining room shuts at 9pm, it was only 9.15 go eat somewhere else, no dinars so asked to change some money only to be told that was shut as well. The room was ok but after 2 days we were asked to move because of building work. The food was ok, the pools ok, but Sousse what a dump and the beach STAY AWAY. WE will not be back

Room Tip: ask for a room over looking the pool
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Kim I
TEJMARHABA, Guest Relations Manager at Tej Marhaba Hotel, responded to this review, November 21, 2013
In any hotel there are opening and closing times for the restaurant and these must be strictly adhered to. We cannot make exceptions, otherwise the staff would never get home and they do have to be back early the next morning. Sorry you didnt like Sousse, but everyone to their own taste.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (423)
  • Arabic first
  • Czech first
  • Hungarian first
  • Polish first
devon
Reviewed November 18, 2013

Stayed here for half term week with my two teenage daughters. Hotel was clean and tidy. Our room was kept clean. Food was very good, with a large selection to suit all tastes. Staff were attentive and helpful. We had a wonderful week and would return.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank 6onholiday
Glad you enjoyed your holiday and we look forward to welcoming you back again.
Leicester, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 16, 2013

Visited the tej merhaba hotel in sousse, tunisia with thomas cook on the 6th november 2013 to the 13th november 2013. Having never ventured onto african soil tunisia was a new experience for us and this trip was myself my wife and 17 year old daughter. Flights with thomas cook from east midlands and our return were trouble free and upon arrival at enfidha airport the weather was pleasant. The trip from the airport to the hotel around an hour or so was our first experience of tunisia and honestly i can say that tunisia is a barren wasteland and not impressive at all. Rubbish strewn around everywhere is not a good first impression of a country when visiting and i suppose this is the ugly part of a trip to tunisia. I am aware the country has had its troubles over the past few years and i suppose this is a contributing factor but i really did half expect to see lenny henry and bob geldof scouring the landscape lol. In a nutshell tunisia is a dump and its many opencast landfill sites are not nice and i doubt if i will ever return. On arrival at the airport also you are greeted by people trying to carry your case to the coaches and a firm no thank you works wonderfully well if you dont want this service. As tunisia is a closed currency country you are unlikely to have any dinars on you at this stage but on walking out of the airport there are signs that state the recommended tip is two to three dinars. This is a cheek to be honest in my view as although in the grand scale of things three dinars is nothing my view on tips is to do so for good service not as a matter of course and an expectation. I would like this practice to stop but i doubt little will change on this anytime soon. On arrival at the resort sousse is pretty much like the rest of tunisia a dump and not too pleasing on the eye but anyway we were there for a week with an open mind. Arrival at the hotel again porters offer to take your cases to your room which was at least a friendlier service than the airport. We were allocated room 329 and upon arrival at this door the pass key for the room didn't work and we had to be let into the room by the maids. Had to go back to reception about six times before this issue was finally resolved as despite the fact that the reception staff were quite friendly the service was pretty poor with what seemed liked just fobbing you off the usual practice and they didn't seem to understand english particularly well. Finally gaining access to the room we were not too displeased with our room. It didn't overlook the pool area and did look onto the busy street below however after reading various reviews before departing our room was clean and ok. A little dated yes and the tv didn't work on arrival also the sink in the bathroom was blocked but this was resolved fairly quickly after complaining. The rooms could do with updating i agree with other reviewers on this and whilst it would be better to perhaps close the entire hotel for the winter and refurbish in these tough economic times this is not always possible and that i accept. I know other people had drawn shorter straws than us an had appalling rooms in very bad condition however we didn't experience this so were happy to remain where we were. The hotel is not a four star hotel in any country i once again agree with other reviewers but then again sousse and tunisia in general is not a four star destination. Comparing with europe the hotel is perhaps a two star and a bit so do take this into account when booking. I feel thomas cook and other operators should point this out more in their brochures. We paid £523 for two adults and a 17 year old for half board and i suppose overall what we paid for was what we got but i know others paid more and at a lot more this review wouldn't be as pleasant.The hotel tries its best and generally the staff are helpful and friendly but i wouldn't personally return not just to this hotel but to tunisia in general. The food at the hotel was obviously buffet style and bearable for a week although i dont think i could bear this food for much more than a week. The waiter we had for the week makram was very friendly and attentive and we were happy with his service. He arranged a birthday cake for my wife which was a nice touch when he decorated the table on this evening. The rest of the hotel i.e. general areas and bar/reception area were ok. The pool area was acceptable and we had decent weather for the most part. The indoor pools are very warm clean and a nice change from the very cold outdoor pool. The shopping area of the hotel is ok although many are closed and items not that cheap but unlike elsewhere in sousse these areas are fairly hassle free. One eatery to try opposite the hotel is the green papaya pizza style snack bar which is good for doorstep size pizza slices and cheap. Shopping in sousse is ok if you are looking for fake goods of any description at a price accordingly. In summary the ugly is the country and general state of it the bad is the poor service and hassle received generally in the country and the good is the journey home. We met some nice people on the holiday and didn't experience too much hassle but go to the medina in sousse if you are seeking being hassled. For what we paid the overall experience was ok however we wouldn't return to this country or location again. The beaches are not as per brochure and are full of rubbish broken glass hyper dermic needles etc. The beaches generally should be regarded as an asset to a location however the tunisians seem to be happy to keep these in a poor state as with the rest of the country. If you end up here enjoy it for what it is but dont expect four star quality and service you do get what you pay for if your lucky!!

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank Paul H
To be honest, I dont think you can call another country ' a dump ' when you have only seen a very small part of it. Tunisia is not England but has a lot to offer if you take the time and energy to look. All in all you seem to have enjoyed your holiday, including you nice birthday cake, offered to you by the hotel. So where was the bad service? I have never heard of needles being found on the beach and no one has ever mentioned it before. .
London, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 15, 2013

Do not come to this hotel, after arriving at the hotel on the 10th of November 2013' we were made to wait 45 mins for our room, what was more annoying were people we're coming in after us and being shown straight to their rooms. Finally we got the key to our room, however the porter at the door refused to let us take our cases, he literally held onto our cases and refused to give them to us. Once in the room I sat on the bed in tears when I took in what was around me, filthy walls, dirty bedding, the whole place stunk of sewage, I refused to take my shoes off. My partner then after 20 mins had to go and find our cases, the porter still had them downstairs!. The corridor to our room was like a filthy hostel, carpet skirtings wth! Stains everywhere. We made our first call to tompson, who told us we would have to pay 178 pounds to be moved! After 4 more calls with tompson we reached no agreement and then had to wait for our rep to arrive. After a word with reception we were moved to the 7th floor. On first arrival we found the next four rooms were under refurbishment, this was going on all round the hotel. When we entered our room we were quite pleased! Although not a 4 star room that this hotel states, it was bearable. We began unpacking and the banging started in the rooms next door.......bang bang bang and drilling so loud it made our room shake. We decided to go back down to find our rep, unfortunately she had left and the reception were unhelpful, they told us they would stop work at 6 and start again between 7 and 8am....we asked to move again, only to be told hotel was fully booked. By now we were tired and hungry, we went for lunch......we booked full board but after sitting down with our food we was told we had to go back to reception as our ticket said half board, oh the humiliation!. To be fair the food was so disgusting I was glad to leave. I could go on and on with this review but your probably reading it thinking I'm just one of them moaners and your try for yourself! Just like I did! Well don't ! Like me you will end up in this mess, I saved all year for a week of misery, please don't do the same. The only upside was the heated pool.....the service is bad, the rooms are terribly unhealthy and if the food don't kill you the smell will.

Room Tip: Go to another hotel, but in my opinion sousse has nothing to offer, it's like a rundown building...
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
4 Thank Nicola H
TEJMARHABA, Guest Relations Manager at Tej Marhaba Hotel, responded to this review, November 18, 2013
Sorry you didnt enjoy your holiday. I am surprised that you had noise problems in your room as we have other clients on the same floor who are quite happy. The reception will always move people who are not happy with their rooms, even if they are fully booked. Our food is anything but disgusting as most of our guests will verify, and we even provide special meals, on request. Glad you appreciated the indoor pool.

Travelers are raving about these Sousse hotels

St. John's, Canada
Reviewed November 8, 2013

Another fantastic stay at the Tej Marhaba

When people make reviews of properties in the developing world they should factor in what they actually pay in terms of the range of services provided.

Some of the people booked at the all inclusive rate must have cost the hotel more in alcohol and/or cheese than it received from their actual booking charge.

At the Tej Marhaba there is extensive, but unobtrusive security at even access point. There is a huge outdoor pool, a wading pool, and several indoor pools. All are clean and well maintained.

Free Wi-Fi is often hit and miss anywhere. I am not up enough on the technology to know whether 20 people in the lobby on Skype or downloading films or playing interactive games puts inordinate stress on their systems but 99% of the time Wi-Fi worked just fine.

The food was of exceptional quality. Breakfast was generally eggs in any style you wanted, omelets, crepes, an assortment of breads, various types of donuts / muffins / rolls, baked beans, tomatoes, rice dishes, fresh fruits, various yogurts, assorted breakfast meat dishes, butter, various jams, cereals, various cheeses and hot dishes and salads. It seemed to be available prior to 6:00 a.m. for persons with early departures or simply early risers.

I took pictures and will try to upload them. At lunch and dinner there was always a selection of hot dishes in pretty much each meat type e.g. fish; beef; lamb; chicken; turkey. There were always an assortment of vegetables steamed or baked or fried that would appeal to any diet and quite a nice selection of desserts, which I tried to avoid. Some things you had to ask for such as ice cream, I assume to avoid having guests mangle it. At every meal there would be some special North African featured dish.

A restaurant meal at pretty much any restaurant in North America would cost almost as much as a day's stay all inclusive at the Tej. I would see people coming down with plates full of cheese and think how can the Hotel even break even.

The food Director and senior chefs were actually in the dining room throughout meal service watching over every dish. They each spoke several languages fluently e.g. French; English; Arabic; German and who knows what else. I have never ever heard of any stomach upsets experienced by any guest from a meal in the hotel which speaks very highly to the excellent quality control behind the kitchen doors.

The front desk staff were simply beyond kind and attentive. Every time you walked by, there was always a warm smile. The slightest issues was attended to immediately. A burnt out light bulb? There was an electrician knocking on your bedroom door ten minutes later. The cleaning staff? There was never as much as a scrap of paper left on the floor. The washroom was made to sparkle each and every day. The bed made up tightly and the sheets changed regularly.

The exchange rates were comparable to the main banks and you certainly didn't have to bother double checking what you got. In Cuba or Mexico I take it as a given that there will always be a 20% mistake. At the Tej? Never ever. I left a money belt hanging from a drape on one trip and it was waiting for me on my return months later.

There was always ample hot water whenever I wanted to shower or shave.

I am searching for something negative to say in terms of value for money? There is nothing I can think of and I can be critical.

There are things I would tweak at the hotel however.

Many guests appear to smoke and it would be nice if there were a common area set aside for the exclusive use of non smokers.

It would also be great if the hotel could set aside a common quiet area. The entertainment noise in the magnificent lobby can be overwhelming at times.

The off season clientele are mostly older folks, long past the stage of wanting to vibrate to music.

Some guests (me) from the North Atlantic prefer to sleep in a very cool room. I would gladly pay extra for a smoke free floor with individually controlled air conditioning. I have checked around and could not find any hotel in Sousse or Tunis offering this service.

For the most part, North America seems to have moved smoke free in public areas so this is a bit of an irritant for non smokers.

The staff, as a generalization, all seem to be seasoned mediators adept at diffusing situations. I observed guest behaviors that would have had people arrested and carted off to the Police station in Canada, which were simply professionally diffused by hotel staff in a kind sympathetic way. Unbelievable tolerance and self control. These people are gifted in public relations.

It would be nice if the Hotel provided an English speaking concierge / information desk to make reservations for tours and provide area information. Simple things like telling you to never to get into a taxi parked in front of the hotel.

It would be nice if the Hotel expanded the number of English TV stations. CNN and BBC headline news is beyond terrible. 50% of it is snippets of what is coming up next, over and over and over again.

It would be nice if the Hotel considered changing the relatively new carpeting to stone tiles with an epoxy resin center to reduce sound and permit easy cleaning. I saw it used first time at a hotel in Tunis.

That having been said, the hotel bedrooms tend to be very quiet. Over the years I have heard people complain of barking dogs in an adjacent open area but I have never heard them myself. I prefer to stay in the pool side as I can hear the call to prayers on the City side and I am a light sleeper.

Many guests appear to be single and stay at the Tej frequently. For the older single traveler it would be nicer to have a smaller bed and more space to lumber around in. Rooms on the pool side tend to be smaller than rooms on the entry side but all of the rooms are quite spacious. They would be cavernous if they had single beds instead of king size beds!!!

I will book back to the Tej Marhaba for New Year's. Considering it is a 20 hour flight I am thinking that the message that I quite enjoy the property is obvious.

Room Tip: RFooms facing the pool tend to be cooler and quieter, once the entertainment moves inside for the se...
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled solo
3 Thank Leonard C
Thank you very much for your very informative review. It is always a pleasure to hear from a satisified guest. Your suggestions have all been noted. We look forward to welcoming you back next month.
Nottingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 8, 2013 via mobile

Just come back from my holiday stayed in this hotel 7 nights all I can say had a brilliant time this hotel is great we had no problems at all the food was amazing and the staff was great hopefully will come again next year and stay in this hotel again !!

Stayed November 2013, traveled with family
3 Thank Farrah M
Thank you so much for your review. We look forward to welcoming you back again next year.
banbury
Reviewed November 3, 2013

Upon arriving at this hotel I was wary at the first impressions.. The downstairs and dining room and most of the hotel was ok. The bedrooms were another story. Electric sockets very loose so avoid at all costs, TV was ok 1 English film channel and bbc news also cnn were all I had. which gets boring when its on a loop. The food was semi reasonable, was expecting more Tunisian fayre really but mostly salads,eggs, which gets boring after day 5. To be fair I would say this hotel is a 2 star and very basic. Not my usual standard and Thomson should reflect this in their description as is unfair to hard working people who save all year for a weeks holiday. Having said that the weather was good and a very enjoyable camel caravan excursion made it all worth while.

Room Tip: complain if you are not happy and you may be given a better room if you are lucky.
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank 651sharron63
TEJMARHABA, Guest Relations Manager at Tej Marhaba Hotel, responded to this review, November 4, 2013
We are not in a position in North Africa to receive a lot of english television stations. We do have a tunisian themed night once a week in the restaurant but most guests prefer their own type of food and we have to go with the majority. You are quite correct, if a guest is not satisified with his room then we would be only too happy to change it for him. Our aim is for happy and satisfied guests at all times. Thank you for your review.