“tej marhaba”

Ranked #14 of 35 Hotels in Sousse
magherafelt
“tej marhaba”
Reviewed October 6, 2013

just back from a weeks holiday in tej marhaba. hotel very good and all staff were very friendly especially the waiters makram and saleh.fifth time in this hotel and will go back next year.Reading all the reviews people may have mixed feeling about this hotel.But just go and see for yourselves.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Jack R
TEJMARHABA, Guest Relations Manager at Tej Marhaba Hotel, responded to this review, October 7, 2013
Thank you for your review and we look forward to welcoming you back again next year.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (421)
  • Arabic first
  • Czech first
  • Hungarian first
  • Polish first
Cannock, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 6, 2013

Ok, I'll try not to rant, and I'll most definitely be honest. What is written here is what we saw and experienced.

We arrived on 22nd September for 2 weeks, and was immediately bugged by the hotel porter trying to take our bags off us. I understand he's got a job to do, but I didn't lose the use of my arms when getting off the coach. It's just a way of getting tips from you (which Tunisians expect A LOT). Then we proceeded to check-in, only to find we had to complete ANOTHER green-card type thing for the hotel. Anyways, off to the room we go and disappointed isn't the word. Yes, we had a pool/sea view, but the room was so tatty and worn out! Stains in the carpets, cracks, filled-in holes, chips in door frames, wardrobe falling apart and smelling of damp, not enough hangers in the wardrobe... we found plenty. It was just such a shock after the pleasant looking reception area! So we settled in after considering it (after all, you only sleep and change in there), and started to check out the bathroom. Take a tip from us, take some travel wash and your own towels. Their towels stink. They're clean and changed daily, but they just stink. And the smell transfers to you as you use them. And as a final note, the beds are rock hard too.
So, with the bedroom covered, we move on to the restaurant. As for the people moaning about the food, I couldn't disagree more. The food is always piping hot, well cooked and different every day. The only problem I had was with breakfast, there wasn't much variety. But the basics were there. Waiters were nice and quite chatty, although I didn't like being given a table for the 2 weeks.. I would've much preferred to choose where I sat. They also have a nasty habit of having conversations in Arabic over your table as they are working, which I find quite rude.
Nothing much more to say really.
The pool area is adequate and nice enough, although don't try and get your own lounger cushions as you'll get shouted at, lol. Let the guy come to you and all is fine.

All in all, nice enough, but no where near a 4 star as rated. If only they would renovate it and tidy it up, it could be excellent.

A few tips:

Don't bother with cereal, they don't chill the milk.
Tipping is not mandatory and doesn't really improve service as some on here have stated. It's your choice.
Don't use the room telephone to call home, it's stupidly expensive. If you do, ask for and itemised bill and keep it. We paid ours off halfway through the holiday and were asked to pay again upon check-out.
Sounds tight, but hide your toilet paper. There's not much on a roll and it runs out quickly. If you hide it, they'll replenish it next day and you'll have more at your disposal.
Despite what the rep says about low crime rates, always be on your guard (especially ladies with handbags). During our 2 week stay, there were at least 4 thefts in the resort, which left one woman with a broken leg. Be safe.
Best restaurant in the area for lunch is by far, Green Papaya. Leave the hotel at the front, turn left, and it's on the right hand side. Fresh pizza and fruit smoothies daily.
Again, despite what the rep says, the Soula centre in the medina is NOT "right there" when you get off the noddy train, it's a good 15 minute walk down the main street. Ask any of the shop owners if you get lost.

Room Tip: As stated before, all even room numbers are on the back (sea view), all odd room numbers are on the...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Every hotel employs a hotel porter to take the luggage up to the room, that is standard procedure. If her doesn't do his job people complain, if he does do his job people still complain! The wardrobes are built in so wont fall apart. However our maintenance team are on call 24/24 to carry out any repairs needed in the rooms, when these are reported. Thank you for your review

Travelers are raving about these Sousse hotels

Doncaster, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 3, 2013

On arrival at enfidha airport, we were not on Thomas Cook transfer but a resort hopper, ok fine we thought there were only half a dozen people on the coach, what should have been 45min transfer took nearly 2 hours.!!
Arrived at the hotel 2am desperate for a drink (of Water) the receptionist told us there was a supermarket across the road.!! When booking I had asked for 2 rooms together, but no my inlaws where on 2nd floor and us on the 6th, however the receptionist said come back at 10.30 that morning. We did manage to get rooms on the same floor which was fine for us.
Be prepared of your first view when leaving the lifts to your floor, carpet very stained and dirty looking. rooms are very very tired and the wood around the balconies are rotten and falling apart. The room was clean though and bedding all clean after a couple of days you get used to them and for the little amount of time we were in them they were fine.
Definitely a mixture of staff. The first time you eat in the dinning room you will have waiters telling you to stay at their section all week and they will look after you, we liked where we had sat and must admit he had drinks waiting for us every evening. food was fine, always something to eat and cooked well, repetitive yes, one week was enough.
Reception staff, very rude, not helpful.
Bar staff in reception again very rude, everything was a chore to them. The bar is meant to shut at midnight, on one occasion my mother in law went to get a coffee at 11.45pm to be told it is 12pm and shut on pointing to the reception clock, he said well my till says 12.00 !!!
The pool bar, staff there were very helpful and you could have a good laugh with them.
Animation team are great always smiling and up for a laugh.
Thomas Cook rep, not helpful at all! I will definitely not travel with Thomas cook again.
Changing money was a nightmare, first time we tried was told to come back later, went later and they had no change (why not try the supermarket across the road) I was beginning to think the manager had shares in this supermarket) Everywhere we went English money was taken so we tended to just stick to that.

People say you get what you pay for, maybe, but i have been lucky enough to travel twice earlier this year and stayed in riu hotels, which cost me less and are far far Superior.
The holiday wasn't a disaster as a holiday is what you make of it, but i would never go back.
I have noticed other negative reviews on here and the manager always reply's to them. Pity he wouldn't do this while i was there ( he was never available to comment on any of my issues whilst staying)

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank natoli1012
Unfortunately when the hotel is fully occupied it is very hard to find two rooms together, even if you request it. However thanks to our helful reception staff you were able to be on the same floor, the next day. Instead of queueing to change your money you could have used a bank. There are quite a few in Sousse and they all have money changing facilities. Regarding your comment about me not being available for you during your stay, well I was on holiday during that period. The general manager is a very busy man and not always available but I'm sure that if you had made an actual appointment to see him then he would have gladly received you. Thank you for your review.
Runcorn, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 2, 2013

Let's be honest we all look at the reviews before we head off now and I know peoples reviews are very opinion orientated and what we need to remember is different people have different standards, so these reviews can get a little confusing . . . I will try to make this as unbiased as possible.

Remember the hotel is a 3 star, all inclusive doesn't mean table service, it means buffet, so yes you will have to get off your backsides and fill your own plates . . . And remember as it's a buffet you can go back to it, you do not have to pile your plate as high as possible.

It's a cheap holiday you are paying for, don't expect too much . . . But for me the hotel is basic, but does the job, rooms are a little dated but they are clean, yes the hotel needs a bit of modernisation and refurbishment but they are doing it gradually. Remember for the money you have the main buffet restaurant, pool bar (serving food) and beach bar (again serving food)

If you want a holiday in a good hotel then pay for a rui or the movenpick. It you are after a quick cheap break then this is the hotel, personally I'd rather have a bit more cash to spend while away so I'm not tied to the hotel.

Food - simple and basic, but I will say this the bolognese at the pool bar is nice, as for the beach bar - I think they need to look at the pizza oven as not properly cooking - cheese not even melted!!!

Now for the team . . . Well I would recommend the manager actually moves away from the reception that way the team may actually start to think of the customer first. You can tell the team are used to being left alone and to their own devices at the beach and pool bars as you feel like an imposition daring to ask for a drink, the team at the central bar and the waiters in the restaurant do not fall under this umbrella, but these guys can only work with the tools they are given by the hotel.

Basics like crockery and glassware I would suggest the hotel invests in some more, when you see guests taking their own bowls and cups to breakfast it's a sign there's a definite shortage. Yes it is plastic cups at the bar, but then most people take their drinks outside and I think we'd all agree broken glass by the poolside is never good, however investing in decent plastic glasses may be the way to go.

Top tip . . . Head over to Franco's (gelato) for a bit of a treat, great coffee, friendly service and try the raspberry Tiramisu or the blueberry cheesecake.

Overall we stayed for a week, had a nice time, did some shopping and left with a tan, we booked it as a last minute cheap holiday and that's exactly what we had.

2 Thank Liz M
TEJMARHABA, Guest Relations Manager at Tej Marhaba Hotel, responded to this review, October 3, 2013
Thank you very much for your very realistic review. We have taken on board your comments which you feel could improve our services and we look forward to welcoming you back another time.
United Kingdom
Reviewed October 1, 2013

My family (husband & sister) and I have just returned from a two week stay at the Tej Marhaba hotel in Sousse Tunisia.
On arrival the reception staff were very helpful and friendly, and we were allocated adjacent rooms overlooking the pool as we had requested. The rooms were tidy but in need of updating and cleaning as there was broken glass and blood on the carpet. I did report it to reception, but they did nothing about it, so I cleaned it myself. There was plenty of storage space, but it was a battle every time to open the wardrobe doors because they were so stiff. The bathroom is desperately in need of refurbishment, it was very dated and the shower was over a very deep bath, it wasn’t of any use to disabled people. A walk in shower in some rooms would be a good idea.
The restaurant was very well placed, and there was always a good variety of food at lunch and dinner, there was always something to eat, even if it was only chips and pizza. But breakfast was the same every day, fried or boiled eggs, with frankfurters and tomatoes. Although, the bread was always fresh. The queue for fried eggs was always very long and a nuisance.
Sadly the staff in the restaurant were very laid back and did as little as possible; they never cleared tables once they had been used, probably to put people off sitting down in their part of the restaurant. If you did ask them to clear up, they were not happy about it.
The waiters in the other parts of the hotel were just as bad they ignored guests as much as possible, and could only handle one order at a time, and clear one glass or cup at a time. They let the hotel down very badly on service. And there were always queues at the all inclusive bar.
The cashier was only open a few hours a day and there was constant queues waiting to change cash, and some days they ran out of Tunisian cash, so some guests were left with no cash.
The décor in reception had once been marvelous, but sadly it was decaying grandeur, with a very large vase of dead flowers to greet you at the main door. Several dirty chandeliers and lights were in reception with only a handful working, and the settees and chairs were often wet as swimmers had sat on them with wet costumes.
The pool area was very nice clean and tidy and the pool boys did work hard, but the pool had several tiles missing and needed repairs.
The evening entertainment was ridiculous with two elderly men playing a drum and a guitar, it was so sad to see, one night it was karaoke and another bingo. Really there was no entertainment in the hotel, although the hotel advertises there is entertainment.
The Thomas Cook rep was of no help to anyone, only interested in selling over priced trips to clients. It was pointless asking her anything, all she would say is “it should be in place if you booked it in the UK”, she would not check on anything for the clients.
I would not recommend this hotel to anyone and I certainly would not visit there again.

Room Tip: Rooms overlooking the pool area are quieter than on the front of the hotel and a higher floor is bet...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Linda0154
Our rooms are all cleaned throughly on departure, so I cannot understand the broken glass and blood. Breakfast may be the same most days but it does include croissants, cake, cereals, pancakes, yoghourt, salami, cheese and salads. You may have to queue for fried eggs but the fact that they are all freshly cooked to taste must make it worthwhile. Please note that the large vase of flowers in the reception are not dead flowers but artificial flowers! The lights are not all lit up especially in summer time, otherwise it would be too bright and the chairs being wet, well that speaks for itself, guests not respecting the furniture or the hotel. Most guests are happy with the service provided by the thomas cook rep.
Reviewed October 1, 2013

Me and my Daughter stayed for 2 weeks from 21st August 2013 in the Tej Marhaba. We have vistited Tunisia many times and don't expect the standards to be as good as England. The worse part for us in this hotel are the rooms.They are very very dated. But as I write this review I can tell you that they are being updated. so the reviews on here will be mixed.Some of you will have had the wonderful rooms overlooking the sea and cant understand what all the moaning is about. While others will complain about their damp rooms with no hot water and non flushing toilets and sewage all over the hallway carpets.All I can say is when checking in make sure you ask for a seaview room that has been refurbished! The rest of the hotel is good for a 3 star Tunisian hotel. The bar and restaurant staff very friendly and helpful. There was only one animation person there so entertainment was poor, but we met some lovely people that contributed to us having an excellent holiday without the constant reminder of our damp room (first one) or overlooking the building site room ruining our holiday. Cheap Cheerful and Fun.

Room Tip: Ask for Pool and seaview rooms that have been refurbished!
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank eyeliner
Thank you for your review. Glad you enjoyed your holiday but I would like to add that all plumbing problems are being taken care of, as I write, and also that we have never had sewage in the corridors.
Sheffield, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 30, 2013

All I can say is you get what you pay for !! I just wished I hadn't paid it. Stayed 8th -22nd September 2013. If you like being ignored, having your drinks in plastic glasses and sometimes plastic party cups, eating off dirty plates and sitting on a dirty beach then I say go for it and not forgetting the disgusting sewer smell that seems to keep wafting through the hotel !!!! Because if you go to reception to complain/enquire or even ask for directions they are really good at looking straight through you as though you are not altogether right in the head . The Food is ok, different but ok you just don't be able to make a decent meal, things don't seem to go together. I did have a few nice meals. breakfast is ok mostly continental breakfast but I like that so filled up then, Moez was our waiter he was nice, and helpful. The pizzas were ok, just wished they had put some lettuce out at lunch and dinner so you could make a decent salad. I wish we had gone half board and not all inclusive. Beds were comfy and the sheets were clean wasn't keen on the green fleeces but you can't have everything. Toilet was hilarious it flushed when it wanted but the little pipe on the wall soon remedied any that. The pool area was great entertainment guy was brilliant. You could ALWAYS get a sunbed. The beach needs a good raking get rid of the rubbish out of the sand I picked up a few pieces of glass. Other than that beach was good & the sea was really clear and warm. Most of the staff look as though they are there because they have no where better to go the most of the waiters especially in the restaurant just totally ignore you unless you are constantly tipping. Some are lovely and will go out of their way for you. The Live band are a joke they only know 12 songs, needs better entertainment. Tunisian show was ok. Kareoke was ok. But it needs a bit more entertainment. Overall the hotel was clean.
Would I go back>> no.... would I recommend it > no . We finished up having an OK holiday but that was all not brilliant but not awful. We booked with Thomas cook and the photos on their website of this hotel are really old. The Movenpick hotel is not even in the photo's it is in front of the hotel on the beach !!!

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
As you know, Tunisia is not an English speaking country so it would appear to me that the receptionists may have difficulty understanding certain accents. Glad you enjoyed your holiday and thank you for your review.