“Nice hotelBig poolBig rooms”
Review of Tej Marhaba Hotel

Tej Marhaba Hotel
Ranked #14 of 36 Hotels in Sousse
Newport Wales
“Nice hotelBig poolBig rooms”
Reviewed August 20, 2013

Travelled with my 6yr old daughter and after reading reviews before I left I was scared at what to expect but had a really good time!
Airport- there are men waiting to grab your suitcases for 10dinas but if you hold tight and say no they rush to the next victim.
Transfer- rep was nice the transfer took ages over an hour we dropped off 5 other hotels us being last..
Reception- lady staff were nice and friendly but the men were patronising and rude and do anything to avoid your questions!
Room- were big and cleaned every day needed more toilet paper tho half a loo roll a day just ain't enough
Food- each to there own on this no one complained but pizza everyday just be on safe side :)
Pool- yes I had set my alarm at 5:45 so I was down to get a sun bed I tipped bed man and he made sure I had a bed every day :)
Beach- only went once in my visit as the sea was stinking and had all sorts floating init but you wud av go early 2 get a bed.
Entertainment- in day time there was only aqua dance in morning and volly ball which got on every one nerves with the ball flying everywhere and randomly hitting people sunbathing!! We only went to kids club that was only 30mins in evening
Indoor pool- just opened I think but my god if it was 99'c outside it was defo 199'c inside it was like a green house!
I won't come back here due to lack of things to do but my daughter loves swimming and spent 8hrs a day in the pool meeting new people so wasn't board!
On coach coming home rep will tell u that u can't take dina through this also wrong he will tell you change it back at bank who takes a nice percentage off you or hand it to him. We wasn't asked at customs if we had any and once you get through you can spend dina in the cafe!

3 Thank Emma_And_Kaelem
TEJMARHABA, Guest Relations Manager at Tej Marhaba Hotel, responded to this review, August 23, 2013
Glad to hear that you had a nice holiday and thank you for your review.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (423)
  • Arabic first
  • Czech first
  • Hungarian first
  • Polish first
nottingham
Reviewed August 20, 2013 via mobile

Me, my partner, our 2 children (16,14) and my sons girlfriend (16) have just returned from the Tej marhaba on Sunday, we stayed in room 214 for 2 weeks and absolutely loved it! Yes there are 1 or 2 little bugs but nothing that should ruin your holiday (unless you go on holiday to purposely pick fault and try and have a bad time!) Most bad reviews start at the airport so the hotel is already fighting a losing battle!
The Hotel staff were fantastic, the pools were great, the food was great we all ate well, the room was actually really nice, the location is good as its close to the beach...yes you do have to cross a busy road but if you cross on the zebra crossing bits and just ease your way out they will stop, the hotel grounds were impeccably clean, maids were great and cleaned rooms everyday. The only things anout the hotel that bothered us a little was 1)getting dinars for pounds, you could queue for an hour and still not get any so we just went to the bank across the road or some shops change money and the rate is very much the same. 2) the fact that half board guests (and pretty women ) got the full table service and courtesy checks etc and glass glasses during the daytime around the pool, if they see you have a wristband then they tend to stay clear a bit, but saying that they do work on the paid bar.
3)entertainment, unfortunately the evening entertainment is bad, 5 nights of the week 2 men playing a handful of songs for an hour or so but the same song list every night, 1 night of karaoke, and the other night was a Tunisian folk night...well a belly dancer and a little band. There is no rep type entertainment but there is animation who do a few party dances, there nice guys but you just don't really see much of them at all.
The stage is a very small shelter type thing no bigger than a garden shed with no lighting or anything. We just chilled out most nights and made our own entertainment with games and cards and a few drinks so no complaints at all we still had a great time even at night.
Tipping- I tipped very well, mostly 5 dinar a night to bar staff, and same for dinner/lunch waiters, they love the fact that you are kind enough to tip them rather than the money itself. 5 dinar is only around £2 and it means so much to these guys that you value there service but the waiters and staff just love you for smiling. Even the man selling camel and quads loved us for simply smiling all the time and being polite.
There are a few areas of the hotel (not many) that look a little tired but this is a massive building that is over 20 years old! As things age you try your best to maintain them and they do try...me, I choose not to look at them and just enjoy my time off work in the sun!
If your worried about going then don't, it really is lovely just enjoy your holiday, put your feet up and relax.
We all think that we have had one of our best ever holidays at the Tej Marhaba and would hope to return one day.
Thank you to all!
See you again soon (hopefully)

5 Thank mattjarvis
Thank you so much for writing your review and for pointing out the areas that could be improved. All these comments have been noted and will be taken care of to the best of our abilities. Glad you enjoyed your holiday and we look forward to welcoming you back again another day.
Richmond, Canada
Reviewed August 20, 2013

The Tej Marhaba hotel in Tunisia was a nightmare, the rooms are disgusting with gaps around ill fitting windows and door frames, stains on carpets, toilets that took an age to flush and only then because you had to keep pushing the flush, it didn't flush well either, it also stank which meant u had to keep the door closed at all times, the lifts were like having to take your own life in your hands as they didn't stay level with the floor so u were having to step up into the lift, it also didn't have a sensor on the doors so it kept closing on u while u were either getting into the lift or off it, reception area was marble floors so when they were getting cleaned no Caution signs were put out, I slipped many times, toilet seats weren't fitted properly meaning u slipped off them banging your head on the side of the marble cubicle, same food everyday with no variation, chefs would serve food with sweat dripping onto the food, 95% of the staff were extremely rude and expecting to be tipped every single day for getting sun loungers for you, swimming pool is small and not what it looks like in the brochure, tiles missing from in and around the pool (many people had cut themselves), indoor swimming pool has algae growing in it, the jacuzzi didn't work nor did the Turkish bath, the beach is a health and safety hazard, to get to the beach you had to walk down an alley way which has sewage running down it onto the sand and into the beach, broken glass left in the sand, fag butts also and lots of rubbish, Captain Smiley who comes into the hotel is a con artist takes your money for trips but you don't get what he has told you, you would get and he fails to inform you of all the hidden extras that you need to pay for, DO NOT GO TO THIS HOTEL.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
3 Thank Donna-Marie M
TEJMARHABA, Guest Relations Manager at Tej Marhaba Hotel, responded to this review, August 22, 2013
If you werent happy with your room you could have told us and we would have changed you. Our lifts are all in good working order and certainly have sensors on the doors. The reception area is only dry cleaned during the day and small areas cleaned by night. Caution signs are obligatory. Toilet seats can become loose but if reported can easily be fixed. Food is varied everyday and the chefs do not drip sweat as the restaurant is fully air conditioned. Our outdoor pool is 25m long so not that small. The indoor pool only opened in November, so I couldnt find the algae that you mentioned. Our spa centre is still closed so there is no jacuzzi or turkish bath. The beach is cleaned regularly and we do ask our guests to place their rubbish in the bins provided but unfortunately they do not always comply.

Travelers are raving about these Sousse hotels

United Kingdom
Reviewed August 20, 2013

Let me begin by saying we did have a lovely holiday! All we required was sun, rest, lots to read and lots of sleep! This was achieved.
However, I fully agree with many of the reviews on the website regarding the ‘tiredness’ of this hotel. The overall impression is that it was once a definite 4*, but many areas are now worn and shabby, therefore cannot reasonably hold this star rating for much longer.
I also agree with reviews that the reception staff can be a little brusque, especially the male staff. It took quite a lot of persistence to change rooms due to a broken air con unit. In general the male staff on reception were rude and officious, especially towards women.
The bar staff and waiters are all friendly once you show them that us Brits abroad are not all rude! A smile and a polite chat helps!
Tipping is expected, despite what the guest relations manager states in his/her responses to some of the reviews. However, I dinar (approx 40p) is all that we tipped occasionally and staff were genuinely grateful. Considering the heat, conditions of work and that it was Ramadan whilst we were there, I’m not sure that many British people would undertake the long hours the hotel staff undertake each day.
The food is slightly repetitive. (The pizzas are lovely) We always book all inclusive, in many different countries, and this was the worst we have seen for choice, but there was always something tasty to eat, even if you did have it the previous day! There is a poolside ‘barbeque’ where pizza and sandwiches are served. The hotel has its own section of the beach, where apparently you can also get a pizza, however on the two occasions we went down to the beach, there was no sign of food. The beach bar serves drinks albeit warm. There is a distinct lack of cooling systems in all of the bars; we seldom had a beer that was remotely chilled!
The rooms are basic, but spacious with everything in that you need from a hotel room. The housekeeping was great. Very clean, with fresh towels and bed linen each day.

A holiday is what you make it yourself, but I do understand that many people have varied expectations of what it should be like. I do feel that as a very poor country, many of the Tunisians work hard at pleasing the guest’s/tourists, after all they rely heavily on this for employment. However, we work and save hard for our holidays and at the very least expect to find facilities that were described by the tour operator (Thomas Cook: please note) Lets just say they glamorised the hotel somewhat!
This was our 2nd time in Tunisia, and will probably be our last, merely because we do try to visit other countries etc.

I feel that it is a real shame that the Guest Relations person takes the time to respond to all the reviews, but seldom answers any of the queries and complaints.

Finally…..Here’s a thought….if this hotel was closed for a couple of months, had all the shabby carpets/sofa’s/fitting ripped out and a lick of paint everywhere it would be a great start. They also need to dispense with the ½ board arrangements and become fully all inclusive. The current arrangements are confusing and create segregation!!! Add a couple of customer service training sessions for the rude reception staff and the hotel would be near perfect…….just a thought!

Room Tip: Ask for a pool view room-(even numbers)
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Kitty1Uk
Which areas in the hotel were worn and shabby? The carpets are only 2 years old but unfortunately guests do spill coffee, nail varnish etc on them and we do our best to clean them.The lobby furniture is only 3 years old but many guests seem to take pleasure in scratching the arms. Again we do try to keep up with the re varnishing. Male staff are accused of of giving preferential treatment to females, whilst others, like yourself, accuse them of being rude and officious towards females. Tipping, I repeat again, is always opitional but as in every part of the globe is always appreciated. I do my best to answer all queries. Complaints are more personal and vary from review to review but I do take note of them and all are treated very seriously. As for closing the hotel, I dont think our regular guests would appreciate that. Thank you for your review
Redcar, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 19, 2013

Well after reading several reviews on here on like many people I was very nervous of what to expect. We stayed here 4th Aug - 18th AI and can honestly say we never had any problems. When we arrived we had to fill a quick form then were issued our key, the reception staff were very polite not rude like many people have suggested. The way I see it is if your polite & use manners to the staff then they are polite back. Speak to people how you expect to be spoken to, after all manners don't cost anything! The pool area was lovely and we always managed to get a Sunbed where we wanted, the guys round the pool work really hard. If no Sunbeds available at the time they will bring one to you as soon as they get one. You do get people putting towels out early then not arriving to the pool til mid afternoon but this is nothing to do with the hotel just the selfish people that do it!! We did tip the pool guys 1 dinar a day as we liked the service they gave you! The food well what can I say, I have been on many AI holidays and can honestly say I have eaten and tried more food here than on any other holiday. We didn't have any problems with queues, cutlery etc. I guess its all down to timing, I did pop into breakfast late one morning about 9.30 to get a cup of tea and it was very busy but I suppose that's what you get if you leave it til last minute. The day time activities are the same where ever I have been, killer darts, water gym, water polo etc & they aren't too pushy to get you to join in if you just want to relax. Yes the evening entertainment could do with some attention and a bit more variety, again it wasn't a problem for us. If your wanting a wild nightlife atmosphere then this hotel isn't for you. Yes the drinks are served in small plastic cups but again that has always being the same in the other AI holidays we have been on. We ventured out and about to the Medina and yes you do get asked to go in there shops but a polite No Thank You is all it needs and they leave you alone. The weather was lovely well apart from the Thunderstorm that lasted for hours, but obviously this is out of the hotels hands haha. Overall we had a very relaxing stress free holiday and would recommend this hotel for anyone that wants a relaxing holiday, we would return to Tunisa and this Hotel. Thank you for a lovely two weeks!

Room Tip: We stayed in Room 436, Centre of the hotel facing the pool. Fantastic views!
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank TheDowningGang
Glad you had a relaxing stress free holiday. Thank you for taking the time to write your review and for pointing out a few facts about the hotel. We look forward to welcoming you back another time.
Reviewed August 16, 2013 via mobile

We endured hell one night as locals beeped car horns and fired off flares whilst chanting outside the gates, then to our horror the police let them into the hotel grounds with the permission of the owner. We wondered if we would ever leave the hotel alive as we saw people packed into the back of a truck and then lead/ paraded around the streets to the already energetic crowds. Already we were worried as we read reports of embassy's closing for fear of attacks as the Muslim fasting comes to an end. It turned out the local team is owned by the hotel owner and they had won a cup. Thanks for the sleepless night !!!! Way to run a hotel!! !!!

• Stayed August 2013
TEJMARHABA, Guest Relations Manager at Tej Marhaba Hotel, responded to this review, August 20, 2013
Sorry about your sleepless night. Most people understand how difficult it is to control football frenzy and as the local team had just won the tunisian cup final, yes, they were estatic. However, I hasten to add that there was no violence involved, whatsoever, they were just happy people. This obviously was a one off occurence and to be quite honest, most of the tourists appreciated the happy spectable.
Reviewed August 14, 2013

My sister and I returned home today after staying 7 nights all inclusive at the hotel tej marhaba. I was a little worried about going after reading the negative reviews, but honestly, it's not as bad as people make it out to be.
The hotel is clean, looks quite grand as you walk in through the front doors and the pool area is just lovely.
The restaurant is clean and the buffet is nicely presented with a good choice of food.
The rooms are a little dated but it was cleaned everyday, great for my sister and I. And at the end of the day all you do is sleep in there.
There's a large shopping centre just at the back of the hotel called "tej marhaba centre" and it takes you through to other shops etc.
hotel staff are very friendly and there's a little souvenir shop in the hotel where my sister and I practically lived in!
Sun loungers are available. Staff will grab the loungers for you and put them where you want them. My sister and I tipped them a dinar each a day. I didn't mind tipping the lounger guys as they were friendly.
Didn't really stay up for the entertainment as it wasn't really our cup if tea. Us being aged 20 and 18 weren't really into karaoke, bingo and belly dancing but this may appeal to others :)
There is free wifi at the hotel which was good as we could stay in contact with our friends and family. (Connection only works in a certain area though).
There is nothing bad that I can say about my stay at the tej marhaba. Only thing I would say is that we could have done with more loo roll in our room ( everyone needs that) and spoons for cereal should be placed on the table as well as knives and forks because there were never any spoons out in the tray when my sister and I had cereal for breakfast.
Had a fab stay overall! Don't be put off by negative reviews :)

9 Thank Lucyandamy
TEJMARHABA, Guest Relations Manager at Tej Marhaba Hotel, responded to this review, August 15, 2013
Glad to hear that you both enjoyed your holiday with us and thank you for taking the time to write and tell us. We look forward to welcoming you back another time.