“A total gem!” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #13 of 35 Hotels in Sousse
Liverpool, United Kingdom
“A total gem!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 9, 2013

A gem of a hotel in North Africa. These people know how to treat their guests. From the reception staff to the restaurant staff and the impeccable bar service they treat you like royalty. They remember your bar order each evening and welcome you warmly each time they see you.

The bar manager, Karim has a fantastic team who work so hard throughout the day and night, our waiter Kacem was so polite and attentive and nothing was too much trouble.

I treat people they way I like to be treated, however, with the soaring temperatures my resolve would fail, but not from these guys, constantly happy and eager to make your stay at the Tej brilliant.

Will be booking for 2014!!!

Room Tip: Many of the rooms are under refurbishment, however a pool/sea view is always good
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
3 Thank Ann J
TEJMARHABA, Guest Relations Manager at Tej Marhaba Hotel, responded to this review, May 13, 2013
Thank you for your review and for your positive comments. Pleased to hear that our staff helped to make your holiday more enjoyable and we look forward to welcoming you back again.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (420)
  • Arabic first
  • Czech first
  • Hungarian first
  • Polish first
Liverpool
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 9, 2013

I am back at the Tej Mahaba, I am taking the unusual step of writing my review whilst still on holiday.
I am sitting in the main lounge / foyer area with my wife , we are enjoying a drink and just relaxing,
I have just been served by 'Rushty'..the other waiters on duty are Sarla and ? Mohammed, as usual they are bright cheerful and welcoming.
Last night we had an enjoyable evening in the Central bar of the hotel, a lovely feature in the centre of the main foyer /lounge. We were served last night by Said, who as usual was his cheerful self and always happy to help .
We have been here a week already and it seems longer it is a great way to relax just being in this hotel with their friendly and obliging staff.
The food in the restaurant is very good as usual with a large selection of food
I am a fussy eater but I have managed to have a good breakfast each day, and in the evenings I have had Lamb curry, Beef goulash, Chicken but there is also a large selection of salads and cheese and cold meats on offer.
Our waiter in the restaurant is Kassim , he is a very friendly and always happy to help.

I know some people will that is their job, but I think that in most reviews we do not mention the staff enough and single out the staff who can help you enjoy your stay at this hotel.

The hotel is still under going modernisation with little disruption , the improvements to the Spa /indoor pool are fantastic.

I would recommend this hotel to anyone who is thinking of coming to Tunisia for the first time.

The staff may appear to be over-friendly at first, but that is their way/culture.

Remember you are in North Africa.

Finally tipping is the lifeblood of all staff who work in the hotel trade in the UK or abroad ,please remember this point.

Room Tip: Ask for a room overlooking the pool area
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
4 Thank GrandadLiverpool
Thank you for your review and for taking the time to write it in the middle of your holiday. Glad you are having such a good time and we wish you an enjoyable continuation.
england
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 7, 2013

The hotel is very clean and nicely presented. The rooms are huge and nicely furnished, they are cleaned daily. Food is a good standard, always a nice amount of dishes to chose from...AND none of us were ill while staying here. The staff in the restaurant are lovely.
The pool area is good, although a bit short on sunbeds. The beach is a few minutes walk away, it has a drinks area.
My only moan would be the bar staff who can be very rude ......
But all in all a VERY GOOD HOTEL

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank furbabystar
TEJMARHABA, Guest Relations Manager at Tej Marhaba Hotel, responded to this review, May 9, 2013
Thank you for your review and glad you enjoyed your holiday with us. I'm sorry to hear you found the bar staff rude but we would like to assure you that your comments have all been noted. We look forward to welcoming you back again in the near future.
Middlesbrough, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 1, 2013

i just had to write a review after reading mozambekes comments .... but i must say we stayed in this hotel for our honeymoon a long time ago , but it was that good we said we would come back on our tenth wedding aniversary. we did not come on our tenth due to the bit of uprising a few years ago , but we going back this september for our wedding aniversary and we cant wait , yes it was a while ago but the hotel and staff were truly amazing, and we hope to have a wonderfull time here like we did when we were newly weds. i remember a bar man called phil , i do hope he is still ther as i used to have a great time chatting to him as the wife tried to cook herself under the sun. service was good. the food was really nice. the maid service was excellent the pools amazing, over the years we have recomended this hotel to a lot of friends who have went ther and also loved it . so dont listen to the moaning people book a holiday here and see for your self . and if you dont have a good time at this hotel , book up with mozambeke and moan together. so to all the staff see you in september , we cant wait . ... had to put in a random date to complete this, cheers

Room Tip: our room overlooked the pool with a great view of the fountains
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
4 Thank stephen k
TEJMARHABA, Guest Relations Manager at Tej Marhaba Hotel, responded to this review, May 2, 2013
Thank you for your review and your nice comments about our hotel and our staff. It is so nice to hear from guests who have fond memories of our hotel and I am sure that your holiday in September will be even more enjoyable. We certainly look forward to welcoming you both back again.
Halifax, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 29, 2013

We were on a half board holiday for a week from April 19th - 26th. My friend had been to Tunisia twice before, and this was her second visit to Sousse. She hadn't realised that the hotel was the one she stayed at before, and when we went into the grand entrance hall, she recognised it!

We had a short wait to go to the rooms, but they gave us a fruit drink while we waited for the room - only about 15 minutes, and all was well. Clean and tidy..yes, a little frayed around the edges, but we had been told they were refurbishing, and had contacted us before to warn us there would be no gym or spa facilities. So they gave us a free meal on the plane, and allotted seating, which was fine by us.

I've read a number of reviews here, and some say there were grubby areas..yes, the public loos in the shopping area weren't that nice, but the ones in the actual hotel were fine. Some of the shops were closed, but it was before the season started, so I think they'll be up and running once it starts. This wasn't a problem anyway, as we went into town, and shopped in the souks anyway.

The staff were very friendly, and having read the bad reviews, I was a bit wary, and expecting to have to tip them all the time in order to be served. This didn't happen at all. They were charming and helpful, and no attitude problem because we may or may not have tipped them,. We'd leave a few coins as a tip when paying for coffees/drinks, and tipped our waiter at the end of the trip.

The weather wasn't brilliant, sadly we had rain, clouds, wind, and it wasn't that warm for most of the trip, but we had a couple of days sunshine. We don't do the sitting by the pool type of holiday, so on the one day we did chill out, it was in the indoor area, which was fantastic. HOT water in the pools, which I love, and proper loungers with cushions, with no attendants, so no need for tipping/ reserving the beds like on the beach/outdoor pool.

The food was absolutely brilliant! The presentation, choices, both for breakfast and dinner was fantastic. I like my food, and have worked in the trade, so know about restaurants, service, hygiene, etc. I couldn't fault them at all. If you wanted anything different (one night, there was seafood in the rice. I really didn't fancy that, and overheard someone complaining about it. I heard the chef say he would go and make her a dish of plain rice, so I asked if I could have some too. He went and did it, no problem. There was so much, all fresh, well prepared, not all of it spicy, but lots of traditionally cooked food too, so you could have pretty much anything. A Tunisian night on our last evening, with a huge dish of cous cous and loads of other things.

The only thing missing was fruit. I expected to have loads there, but there were only oranges on the dessert table, and also some limp fruit salad at breakfast, which was mainly pineapple. But hey..this was the only slight quibble. The pancake girl at breakfast was great, and I decided to ask for smaller ones, so I could have one plain, and one chocolate, as they were so huge, I couldn't have eaten more!

The only miserable person was one of the money changing chaps on the front desk. He didn't give a smile, or a receipt, and banged the money down on the desk. However, the younger man a day later was cheerful and helpful.

The Thomas Cook rep was helpful, and we chose to do a one day tour. We realised it was a bit on and off the bus, with not a lot of time to see the things we'd wanted to, but I suppose that's what you get when you do the tourist thing. Next time, we'll hire a driver, and go specifically to the places we want to, then we can spend more time there.

The souks were amazing, and yes, you do get hassled, but that is part of the culture, and they are pretty good humoured if you are nice, and joke in a pleasant way. Yes, it can get irritating to hear "Come into my shop..where you from..you want handbag.." all the time, but that's what they do and if you can't cope with it, then put a scarf over your head to hide the blonde hair (they love blondes with pale skin!), and learn some choice French or Arabic phrases, and they'll think that's brilliant!

I will be going to Tunisia again, and while I'm always up for trying new places, I would happily return to this hotel.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
4 Thank HMadHats
TEJMARHABA, Guest Relations Manager at Tej Marhaba Hotel, responded to this review, April 30, 2013
So glad you enjoyed your holiday with us despite being so unlucky with the weather while you were here! Thank you for your review and we do look forward to welcoming you back here another time.
london
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 28, 2013

I have literally just got back from Tunisia today and simply could not wait to rave about it so as many of you as possible could know about it. I go on holiday all over the world 5 times a year every year and Tunisia is now my fab place. We stayed in Tej Marhaba which I cannot praise enough - it was so cheap in all honesty upon arrival I was nervous as I went with my mum. However the food was incredible so so much choice, the reception, lobby, gardens, outside pool, inside pool, gym all AMAZING. above everything the hotel staff especially the entertainment team and mainly Mohammed they call him Momo INCREDIBLE. They made a great holiday brilliant. I actually miss them all already. Defiantly grab a taxi down to the Medina it's about 4 dinar max and the most incredible market you have been to from mosaics to fakes we spent the entire day there bartering and having fun earring there amazing foods and stacking the wonderful culture. Also make sure you grab a taxi for about 8 dinar down to porta cantoi the harbour. It's beautiful and a must see therein great restraints and more little shops with great things to buy. We also visited el gem which was a incredible place well worth seeing. You must also make sure you go to the Hammam. We paid about 50 dinar and had a sauna steam soak then full body scrub then hour full body massage. They are a little hard to find but if you ask in any of the hotels they all offer this service. Tek marhaba are currently building there own spa section so they will soon offer this. If you are not sure about booking gem marhaba take my advice and DO IT you will not be disappointed.

Room Tip: Get pool view as street view is a little noisy.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
5 Thank naz h
Thank you for taking the time to tell us how much you enjoyed Tunisia and our hotel. It is so nice to hear from a satisified guest and we look forward to seeing you back again in 3 months time!
Yorkshire
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 26, 2013

My husband and I stayed at the Tej for two weeks during May 2012 - fantastic food and I put on lots of weight - friendly and helpful staff/waiters. The hotel was full of like minded customers who enjoyed the experience of Tunisia some for the first time and others who had been many times. Our room overlooked the pools and in the distance the sea which was only a short walk away to the hotel's own private beach. Little buses ran regularly to the harbour/Medina/shops, etc. but it was just as easy to walk as we had plenty of time - so we did both. The trips to Carthage/El Gem/Tunis were fantastic. The weather was pretty good too!

Room Tip: Any room overlooking the pools - and there are many.
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
So glad you enjoyed your visit and happy to note that it wont be the last! Thank you for your review and we look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.