“First time for me, and second for my friend.”
Review of Tej Marhaba Hotel

Tej Marhaba Hotel
Ranked #14 of 35 Hotels in Sousse
Halifax, United Kingdom
“First time for me, and second for my friend.”
Reviewed April 29, 2013

We were on a half board holiday for a week from April 19th - 26th. My friend had been to Tunisia twice before, and this was her second visit to Sousse. She hadn't realised that the hotel was the one she stayed at before, and when we went into the grand entrance hall, she recognised it!

We had a short wait to go to the rooms, but they gave us a fruit drink while we waited for the room - only about 15 minutes, and all was well. Clean and tidy..yes, a little frayed around the edges, but we had been told they were refurbishing, and had contacted us before to warn us there would be no gym or spa facilities. So they gave us a free meal on the plane, and allotted seating, which was fine by us.

I've read a number of reviews here, and some say there were grubby areas..yes, the public loos in the shopping area weren't that nice, but the ones in the actual hotel were fine. Some of the shops were closed, but it was before the season started, so I think they'll be up and running once it starts. This wasn't a problem anyway, as we went into town, and shopped in the souks anyway.

The staff were very friendly, and having read the bad reviews, I was a bit wary, and expecting to have to tip them all the time in order to be served. This didn't happen at all. They were charming and helpful, and no attitude problem because we may or may not have tipped them,. We'd leave a few coins as a tip when paying for coffees/drinks, and tipped our waiter at the end of the trip.

The weather wasn't brilliant, sadly we had rain, clouds, wind, and it wasn't that warm for most of the trip, but we had a couple of days sunshine. We don't do the sitting by the pool type of holiday, so on the one day we did chill out, it was in the indoor area, which was fantastic. HOT water in the pools, which I love, and proper loungers with cushions, with no attendants, so no need for tipping/ reserving the beds like on the beach/outdoor pool.

The food was absolutely brilliant! The presentation, choices, both for breakfast and dinner was fantastic. I like my food, and have worked in the trade, so know about restaurants, service, hygiene, etc. I couldn't fault them at all. If you wanted anything different (one night, there was seafood in the rice. I really didn't fancy that, and overheard someone complaining about it. I heard the chef say he would go and make her a dish of plain rice, so I asked if I could have some too. He went and did it, no problem. There was so much, all fresh, well prepared, not all of it spicy, but lots of traditionally cooked food too, so you could have pretty much anything. A Tunisian night on our last evening, with a huge dish of cous cous and loads of other things.

The only thing missing was fruit. I expected to have loads there, but there were only oranges on the dessert table, and also some limp fruit salad at breakfast, which was mainly pineapple. But hey..this was the only slight quibble. The pancake girl at breakfast was great, and I decided to ask for smaller ones, so I could have one plain, and one chocolate, as they were so huge, I couldn't have eaten more!

The only miserable person was one of the money changing chaps on the front desk. He didn't give a smile, or a receipt, and banged the money down on the desk. However, the younger man a day later was cheerful and helpful.

The Thomas Cook rep was helpful, and we chose to do a one day tour. We realised it was a bit on and off the bus, with not a lot of time to see the things we'd wanted to, but I suppose that's what you get when you do the tourist thing. Next time, we'll hire a driver, and go specifically to the places we want to, then we can spend more time there.

The souks were amazing, and yes, you do get hassled, but that is part of the culture, and they are pretty good humoured if you are nice, and joke in a pleasant way. Yes, it can get irritating to hear "Come into my shop..where you from..you want handbag.." all the time, but that's what they do and if you can't cope with it, then put a scarf over your head to hide the blonde hair (they love blondes with pale skin!), and learn some choice French or Arabic phrases, and they'll think that's brilliant!

I will be going to Tunisia again, and while I'm always up for trying new places, I would happily return to this hotel.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
4 Thank HMadHats
TEJMARHABA, Guest Relations Manager at Tej Marhaba Hotel, responded to this review, April 30, 2013
So glad you enjoyed your holiday with us despite being so unlucky with the weather while you were here! Thank you for your review and we do look forward to welcoming you back here another time.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (423)
  • Arabic first
  • Czech first
  • Hungarian first
  • Polish first
london
Reviewed April 28, 2013

I have literally just got back from Tunisia today and simply could not wait to rave about it so as many of you as possible could know about it. I go on holiday all over the world 5 times a year every year and Tunisia is now my fab place. We stayed in Tej Marhaba which I cannot praise enough - it was so cheap in all honesty upon arrival I was nervous as I went with my mum. However the food was incredible so so much choice, the reception, lobby, gardens, outside pool, inside pool, gym all AMAZING. above everything the hotel staff especially the entertainment team and mainly Mohammed they call him Momo INCREDIBLE. They made a great holiday brilliant. I actually miss them all already. Defiantly grab a taxi down to the Medina it's about 4 dinar max and the most incredible market you have been to from mosaics to fakes we spent the entire day there bartering and having fun earring there amazing foods and stacking the wonderful culture. Also make sure you grab a taxi for about 8 dinar down to porta cantoi the harbour. It's beautiful and a must see therein great restraints and more little shops with great things to buy. We also visited el gem which was a incredible place well worth seeing. You must also make sure you go to the Hammam. We paid about 50 dinar and had a sauna steam soak then full body scrub then hour full body massage. They are a little hard to find but if you ask in any of the hotels they all offer this service. Tek marhaba are currently building there own spa section so they will soon offer this. If you are not sure about booking gem marhaba take my advice and DO IT you will not be disappointed.

Room Tip: Get pool view as street view is a little noisy.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
5 Thank naz h
Thank you for taking the time to tell us how much you enjoyed Tunisia and our hotel. It is so nice to hear from a satisified guest and we look forward to seeing you back again in 3 months time!
Yorkshire
Reviewed April 26, 2013

My husband and I stayed at the Tej for two weeks during May 2012 - fantastic food and I put on lots of weight - friendly and helpful staff/waiters. The hotel was full of like minded customers who enjoyed the experience of Tunisia some for the first time and others who had been many times. Our room overlooked the pools and in the distance the sea which was only a short walk away to the hotel's own private beach. Little buses ran regularly to the harbour/Medina/shops, etc. but it was just as easy to walk as we had plenty of time - so we did both. The trips to Carthage/El Gem/Tunis were fantastic. The weather was pretty good too!

Room Tip: Any room overlooking the pools - and there are many.
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
So glad you enjoyed your visit and happy to note that it wont be the last! Thank you for your review and we look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.
Aberdeen
Reviewed April 18, 2013

This was our fourth visit to this hotel and we had a fabulous time.The weather was glorious and we spent a lot of time lazing by the outdoor pool.The food was excellent and there was lots of choice at every meal.Our waiter Kacem was so friendly and helpful and there was a great atmosphere at mealtimes.The indoor pool is finally finished and the water is SO warm.I swam every day about 5pm and was usually the only person in the pool.We were told that there was work upgrading bathrooms going on but we heard and saw nothing to disturb us.We loved walking round the Medina and the newly opened Museum with the roman mosiacs is outstanding.We had a great time and will be returningnext year to the superb hotel.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
7 Thank senic
TEJMARHABA, Guest Relations Manager at Tej Marhaba Hotel, responded to this review, April 20, 2013
Thank you for your review. I do hope it will put peoples' minds at rest when they read that you neither heard nor saw anything to disturb you, regarding our renovations, during your holiday. Glad you enjoyed yourselves and look forward to having the opportunity to welcoming you back again next year.
Leeds, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 16, 2013

Hi, I have just returned from holiday here and had a brilliant time. I am sure most of these people who write moaning comments must be proffesional moaners - maybe so they can get some money back?? If you notice they are outnumbered by a big percentage.
Very friendly staff, relaxing and quiet hotel. Apart from my husband snoring (after I have whacked him each night around the ear to stop him!) it was lovely to have a peaceful relaxing sleep. Not having to worry about getting meals, which are very pleasant - and they are very obliging if there is something you can't find on the varied menu to help you.
The pool is pleasant to sit round too and lovely for a dip. I think on a previous review (Mozambezi's (get your eyes tested before you go next time), he must have been running round the hotel looking for problems, which he was wrong about most of them anyway. Does he really think that they are going to leave a live wire open in a pool. They do know about electics etc over there - they are not still running on camel power over there. And NO you are not overlooked by shops! It is a lovely secluded spot.
As for the money side of things - at least you CAN AFFORD a holiday! As for a hotel being used for conferences etc. It is a hotel - it's where people stay NOT just for us Brits! You have conferences etc in OUR hotels!
So, conclusion - HOTEL excellent, handy to Sousse centre and other places of interest. The lovely Thomas Cook rep IS there to help you. So go with an open mind and enjoy! Look at the good things in life and be thankful for what we have. I can't wait to go back to see the lovely people I met again. Get the kettle on!

Room Tip: Sea view is good! Just ask if you are not happy - if you respect them they will be willing to help...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
8 Thank HTaoBell
TEJMARHABA, Guest Relations Manager at Tej Marhaba Hotel, responded to this review, April 24, 2013
Thank you for your refreshing review and glad you had such a relaxing holiday. We look forward to welcoming you back, once again, as our guests, in the near future.
Kilkenny, Ireland
Reviewed April 15, 2013

i stayed in this hotel in september 2004 for 2 weeks, i am not one for sitting around so i was out and about alot, i went on 2 excursions the 2 day and one day, i really enjoyed both of them and to this day i still talk about it, im returning on the 8th of june to the same hotel and i hope this trip will be as enjoyable, im looking forward to staying here again as i was treated like a king the first time, the staff were brilliant and very helpful and the food was great,
hopefully the works that are going on now wont effect our stay to much, we are truly excited about going back again and cant understand the negative comments, from what i have heard talking to others who have been to tunisia you either hate it or love it depends on the person i suppose,

Room Tip: ask for a pool side room on one of the higher floors you wont be disappointed with the view
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
5 Thank denis o
TEJMARHABA, Guest Relations Manager at Tej Marhaba Hotel, responded to this review, April 17, 2013
Thank you for your review and pleased to see that you will be visiting us again soon. The only work in progress at the moment are renovation works and we do ensure that our guests are not disturbed by this. We look forward to welcoming you back again in June
Tunis, Tunisia
Reviewed April 12, 2013

This must have been a very nice hotel once, but it's now a bit run down. The rooms are in desperate need of a coat of paint; they need new furniture too. The beds are very uncomfortable. The food isn't great either. But on the plus side it's not expensive, the staff are friendly and it's well located. I was in Sousse on business for one night so the problems didn't really matter, but I wouldn't go there with my family on holiday.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
2 Thank Geoff C
TEJMARHABA, Guest Relations Manager at Tej Marhaba Hotel, responded to this review, April 15, 2013
Thank you for your review. We have recently renovated our bedrooms, just the bathrooms to do next.
We do have a large variety of food in the restaurant but I feel that just one night is too short to form
an opinion. Next time try it for longer!