“Tej Marhaba Hotel”
Review of Tej Marhaba Hotel

Tej Marhaba Hotel
Ranked #16 of 36 Hotels in Sousse
Reviewed February 17, 2012

We [myself & my wife, our daughter & son in-law] stayed at this hotel for 7 nights, in May 2011. Great hotel, friendly staff once you get to know them. The only reason I didn't give 5* for 'cleanliness & rooms' is because part of hotel was being refurbished while we were there. The maids cleaned the rooms, made beds, arranged pjs etc. on bed & generally tidied our room every day. The maids were really nice & very helpful, nothing was too much bother, so we made sure we tipped them well when we left.

Beach is not too far from hotel which is good if you have knee problems. [as I do :( ] beach wasn't too busy when we were there [which was good] plenty sun loungers to choose from.

• Stayed: May 2011, traveled with family
7  Thank JimmyMacDonald
Write a ReviewReviews (1,611)

Reviewed February 16, 2012

This was a return visit for me, to a hotel of choice.

Unfortunately, there were problems. Those that affected me were referable to Thomas Cook, who else! For anyone who has yet to go out and who received a letter advising them that, because the indoor pool at the Tej had been closed for refurbishment they could swim at the Movenpick, this letter was “a mistake.” Naturally, I learnt as much only after arrival! Stuart (Rep.) earned my scorn not only for telling me “the Movenpick pool was never on offer” but that he likes his job and will vigorously stick up for his employer.

I went swimming once – to the Royal Salem. Their pool was fine, but I am disabled and had great difficulty getting into the taxi that was laid on, free of charge. The driver tutted at me as I struggled – and left me behind afterwards. I decided to avoid further humiliation. From what I could see of the new indoor pool, it will be a lot like the old. It didn’t look at all finished to me, but I was informed that the workmen had had water in it for a week to test for leaks and that it will only take a fortnight to do the tiling.

I was not informed of renovation work besides that taking place on the pool. However, it is also the case that carpets are being pulled up and new ones laid and the nasty ‘flu’ and hacking cough that affected me and many others may well have been attributable to the dust that was inevitably raised or to chemicals in the carpet glue being used. I would start to recover then get another dose, which certainly suggests something in the environment, particularly as, less than a week after arriving home, the cough has more or less gone.

Whatever the cause, illness spoilt my holiday, despite which I saw glimmers of the magic of the Tej at its best and I occasionally managed to relax. Staff were unfailingly great, particularly the restaurant waiters and the chambermaids. Emer’s winter tea parties were always pleasant affairs, and the management even laid on a buffet lunch one day to thank we regulars for sticking with the Tej. Needless to say, of course, a few of the luncheon guests were busy stealing bottles of water and such like. As for the food at the Tej generally, I found this variable, with over-cooking spoiling dishes.

The hotel now boasts wi-fi (free in the lobby but not in the rooms) and as I took my laptop I was able to skype my daughter in Scotland, thereby avoiding the expense of ‘phone calls on the unreliable public telephones, for which I was grateful.

The latest ‘must haves’ for the opportunist thieves are spectacles and medical equipment. A lady with whom I sat at table removed her hospital issue neck collar on day 2, placing it beside her, and when she came to pick it up, there was no sign. The poor woman was in agony for much of the holiday, so much so she headed for hospital immediately after landing back in the UK. Two people had their glasses stolen, including a man who said his had cost him £400. It was the same story; they were taken off and put down – as one does with spectacles – never to be seen again. My understanding being that there is no possibility of claiming from one’s insurance in such circumstances, don’t be careless. Take a spectacle chain (available from Boots) and hang your glasses round your neck rather than placing them on a table.

I was impressed with the disability assistance at Enfida Airport – as well as glad of it, as the departure gates are a long walk from check in. For those contemplating taking a taxi from the hotel to the airport, the best and cheapest option is to be had by consulting the equally brilliant and efficient Emer or Marina (Rep.)

• Stayed: January 2012, traveled solo
5  Thank Soggy_Moggy
Reviewed February 2, 2012

had a great time at the tej it was comfortable hotel very friendly our 7th time in this country first time at the tej it was full of brits /scot /and welsh it was home from home very relaxing met up with some old friends george and elenor from edinburgh hopeing to go back in november for 28 days ifi can find a cheap holiday .hi to everyone me and my wife margaret met there 23 nov /21 dec

6  Thank jamestwo
Reviewed January 30, 2012

We stayed in November while the rooms were in the process of being renovated. We were fortunate enough to have a newly renovated room with a sea view. Although the room was newly renovated it wasn't exactly luxurious, but because we'd paid very little for the holiday we were perfectly satisfied with it, and it was spotlessly clean, which is my main priority. The public areas were really nice and also kept spotlessly clean.
The food was okay, self service buffet with a good, if somewhat strange, choice of food - again I may have grumbled a bit if we'd paid more, but for what we did pay I can't complain and we certainly didn't go hungry!
The pool and garden area was attractive and very well kept, with plenty of comfortable sun loungers. I didn't venture into the pool myself but I gathered from the screams and gasps when others went in that it was freezing! Unfortunately the indoor pool was closed for renovation, although it was possible to use the pool at another hotel, with the hotel paying the taxi fare.
The main downside for us was Sousse itself. Although the hotel was quite central, we found Sousse to be quite run down and unattractive. If we hadn't made a bunch of new friends and hung out with them most of the time we would have been struggling to find things to do.
To sum up, we had a good holiday for a fantastic price, but probably wouldn't return - not because of the hotel itself but because of where it is.

6  Thank bmh51
Reviewed January 15, 2012

We were a bit worried given how little we paid for 28 nights half board.
However, when the TC rep said we are now coming up to the beautiful Tej Marhaba she meant it. Central for Sousse, busy with local conferences/meetings, it is delightful. Tall marble pillars. Circular bar and off to your left a long reception desk. Friendlier if you speak French. Stuart, the Thomas Cook rep is very helpful and professional, as is Ima, the hotel liaison person.
Tipping! Be brave (we prefer to share)....don't if you are unhappy with it. Do what you would normally do.
Different country, different culture and tourist land so be careful as you would in any big city. Just keep walking .
St Felix church in Sousse (only building with a cross), have collections for the poor in Sousse your opportunity to put something back without being harrassed.
Sahara explorer still a must. If all the animals, bother you while you are there. Vets are cheap 15 dinars to neuter a male cat.

Room Tip: Front hotel gets sea view and and back at the entrance meant to be sunny. Ask Stewart or Ima. OR M...
8  Thank K.D.Ttree
Reviewed January 7, 2012

I have traveled to many counties and have stayed in many hotels, this has to be amongst one of my favourites. The reception ground floor is totally amazing and absolutely SPOTLESS. You get to see the owners of the hotel around in their flashy cars as the likes of Lamborghini, Maserati, Bentley and likes of other supercars. I was totally lost for words seeing the owners family parking up outside the hotel. The rooms are fairly big and the service is brilliant, the reception totally blows your mind however the rooms could do with some improvements such as the wear and tear to carpets and bath tubs etc. However they are spotless and i cannot complain about the cleanness. Opposite the hotel is a hammam place which offers turkish baths and massages and great prices. There is also a 10 minute walk to Farmers Barbecue Resturant which is just like Nandos. The food is also smashing, as there is no kfc, mc donalds or pizza hut in the whole of tunisia.

• Stayed: February 2011, traveled with friends
7  Thank akhiabroad
Reviewed January 3, 2012

My husband and i went to this hotel with a very open mind. It was much better than i thought it would be. After reading some of the reviews we were worried about security, We had need not have worried it was great. The food was good and plenty maybe not to everyones taste but we enjoyed most of it and did not go hungry. The cakes were excellant and so different from the english ones. Our waiter was Sami (i hope i spelt his name right)anyway he did a good job serving us for the 5 weeks we were there. The room we had faced the simming pool there was no sun but not a problem. After 2 Weeks Emer the hotels customer relations asked us if we wanted to try a room on the other side of the hotel so we went to the sunny side a bit of traffic noise but no problem with that. We could count yellow taxis forever, next time we go back we will ask for sunny side it was better. Emer had a teatime for all the holidaymakers cakes and tea very good. Emer is a bonus and sorts out any problem including grumpy husbands. Our rep Stuart was very helpful and was always around to answer questions and warn us about the taxi drivers that over charge. We made tons of friends and have no qualms about going back in atual fact i want to go now.

Room Tip: rooms with pool view have no sun. other side sunny and a bit of traffic noise
16  Thank lalapanzi65