“Tour Khalef”

Ranked #4 of 35 Hotels in Sousse
Uk
“Tour Khalef”
Reviewed July 15, 2014

We came here on a last minute holiday and stayed from 6th July - 13th July. The hotel is Huge! but be careful as floors can be quite slippy as they are polished daily.
Rooms are really good sized and the bathroom is big! There are so many choices when it comes to food and if you are hungry after lunch, the restaurant by the pool serve food until 3pm and then the chef starts making pancakes! You’ll never go hungry.

The beach is beautiful, if you tip the security man a couple of Dinars he gets you your sun louners etc and also looks after your belongings whilst your in the sea. There are loads of activities to do such as water polo and volleyball, its all good fun.

The waiters are really friendly, like other reviews you do have to be wary of the Russians as they just don’t have any manners, I don’t think they know what a queue is.
We use to hold doors open but after the first day, we just didn’t bother anymore as they never said thank you.

We went on the Market Fever excursion whilst we was here cost 69 Dinars pp. we loved it! The markets was surreal, after haggling, we realised how cheap we got things for! We got a medium sized drum for 3 Dinars! Amazing. There was an old man sitting engraving metal plates, not like the rest of those selling us things, he was quiet and didn’t say a word, really touched my heart so I bought one.
There is a lot of poverty on the streets which is really heart breaking, we saw so many children who were only around 3 – 4 years old begging for money. =(
We was taken to a ceramics shop before the market where they were handmade, and after the market we went for lunch at a beautiful golf course, the arrangement was much like an outdoor wedding with pretty chair covers, food was lovely.

We also went to the aqualand water park which was around 65 Dinars each, My Fiance loved it more than me! If you love steep slides - im talking straight drops, then you will love it here, the resort where it is is absolutely huge! Plenty of different pools and slides, great if you have kids. You get to spend the whole day here, transport isn’t included but we got a taxi down for 4 Dinars and decided to walk back on the beach which took around 15 – 20 minutes. You also get lunch here and soft drinks.

I know Thompson say tip 1 dinar here and there but that’s 36p, we always tipped more because it was nice knowing you can help someone, they never expected to be tipped, and was really thankful when we did. Its heart warming.

Overall, we had a beautiful time and would happily come back.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
5 Thank Lucy_and_DanUk

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (214)
  • Hungarian first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Chester, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 14, 2014

Retuned last week from Tour Khalef and have to say for the price we had a very nice little holiday! We travelled with our two children (ages 5 & 10) upon arrival and even before travelling I was very worried as I had seen lots of poor reviews, checkin was a bit of a long process ( although we arrived at 1.30am so I was probably overtired!) reception made us complete a rather long winded form and there was nowhere we could get a drink so just get one in the airport! We decided to book as superior family room (3505 & 3506) walking to our room I was really concerned that the rooms would be shabby as the corridors are in need of a bit of a refurb (but who goes on holiday for that!) we entered our room to find we had an interconnecting room so one super large king size bed in one room and two twin singles in the other! 2 bathrooms (always handy!) a super clean mini fridge in each room stocked with bottled water! The rooms where lovely and I was happy so unpacked and put the kids to bed! Next morning was our 1st proper look at our hotel so I was overjoyed to open the curtains in the morning to a beautiful sea view! Went for breakfast (hmmm) at this stage I have to admit I was a little worried about the food but maybe I was just being a little to adventurous!! I tended to stick to fried eggs on toast or yoghurt and fruit after that but it was all lovely! My girls and partner gorged on the freshly made pancakes most days! (which the chef made micky mouse shaped ones for the kids most days and they loved it!) Pool area is lovely and nice and safe for the children, there are lots of activities ongoing throughout the day so you can be as active or chilled as you please! the entertainment team will always try and include you in the games but if you cant be bothered they call you lazy and laugh it off! Pool music is quite loud and repetitive but it didnt bother us at all (in fact we are still singing the songs now! lol) We ate lunch in the pool bar most days as the kids didnt want to come away from the pool! this serves burgers,chips,pizzas and some other things as well as an ice cream bar, they also do pancakes with chocolate,caramel and coconut from about 3.30pm you will never go hungry at this place! Evening mealtime was buffet style but thee are two grills on each end where they cooked little steak pieces or prawns each night, there was a carvery stand too and I had the most amazing lamb from here, you are allocated the same table and waiter for the duration of your stay, our waiter was called Razmi and nothing was too much trouble! We tipped Razmi about 10 dinar through the week and he remembered our drinks for the whole stay and brought them too us, with a smile each time we sat down (you generally have to get your own drinks from the self service bar so this was really nice of him!) We booked some excursions after our Thompson welcome meeting (BIG MISTAKE!) basically there are a few locals (that the hotel allow them to work on site) these guys sit near the beach/pool bar and try to sell you their excursions, we were unsure about booking with them as our rep Malcom advised us against it and told us that Thompson excursions cannot be beaten! We booked the waterpark at the Thalasso Souse (another first choice resort down the road) this included our food and drink, after we had booked we where told we needed to make our own way there (ok so only about 5dinar) in a taxi but make sure you agree your price before you get in the car! on arrival we where given out wristbands and off we went, we did have a fantasic time but BEWARE of the russians! The concept was supposed to be that you que for a slide get a dinghy and pass it on at the end, Russians do not do this and just disregard you and go down the slide again!! once the lifeguard realised we where British they started taking them off the russians to give to us so we could enjoy our day! lunch on site was ok but nowhere near as good as at our hotel. Overall good day out but I would probable go for the cheaper option and go to the normal waterpark at aqua palace (i think its called!) this was about 60dinar cheaper. We also booked the pirate boat ship with thompson after declining to book with Ali near the pool as we where told the thompson one was much better and included your food and drink on board, well if you want to do a pirate ship excursion my only advise is to book with Ali by the pool bar as the thompson one was absolutely shocking!!!!! coach picked us up from the hotel and we where all really excited, after a short drive we arrive at the port and there are 3 or 4 huge fantastic pirate ships (the kids faces lit up) we where led onto an old crappy fishing boat that was falling apart!! the man on board then comes around and ties a bandanna type thing around your head and wants 5dinar from you (we just let the kids have one each!) they quickly run around holding a fork thing to your chest to get a picture of you (but they wont stay there long enough for you to get your iwn photo!) we left the port and didnt see anyone again, we sat on the top and enjoyed the sunshine but where dying of thirst, after about 35mins we where given a little plastic party cup half filled with warm flat fanta! then the boat stopped for a swim stop ( we where told not to swim due to jellyfish!) the boat anchored outside our hotel for about an hour (we wanted to see something different not our own hotel!!) ahhh food time hmmmmm half a sardine a bit of cucumber and a cold piece of pork (it had been cooked in the same grill so it was actually cold fishy pork!) we laughed it off and tossed it in the nearest bin! Please if you are going to book a pirate ship book with Ali and barter a good price off him (he offered it to us for 2adults and 2children for about 75dinar) this is why i was so upset with the thompson one as I think we paid around 150dinar! Back to the poolbar for lunch we where glad to be back! At the hotel you get a coloured band, you will notice that british adults get green and british kids get yellow, the russian adults get blue and the kids get pink, the bar staff recognise that we have manners and are police so british get faster service and larger drinks glasses :) we tipped our waiter at the pool bar at the evening entertainment and got drinks brought to us all week! the entertainment starts at about 8.30 with the children's disco (little one loved it!) te evening entertainment was usually the team dressing up as women and dancing but quite entertaining! they did a fire show whilst we where there i must say this was really good and was enjoyed by all! we also watched the fakir show (bad spelling sorry!) this was awesome.Another tip (take smirnoff or bacardi with you!) the alcohol on site s pretty poor but i have found this with most all inclusives we have been on so this wasn't a problem! The beach is nice and clean, there is a private section with hotel security to keep the sellers from bothering you! please be very careful my daughter had doughnuts put in her hand and they also tried to dress her up in their wares (they are only after a sale but can become a little irritating!) The entertainment team work so so hard but seem to have little resource! Choco,Steve,Tito & max are all fab and really entertained the kids the whole week (they through me in the pool at the kids request as it was my birthday!) lol Book in to use your restaurant reservation at the olivarie restaurant on site, this is a lovely little place and does a four course tunisian set menu i think you get one reservation here per week (they dont tell you unless you ask!) Our room was decorated with flowers on the bed as the housekeeper must have seen my birthday cards this was a nice little touch too :) We went on the towed bouy at the breach i think this was 60dinar for the 4 of us this was the best fun ever!!! I have given a full overview in my opinion a great little hotel with amazing weather and lovely staff :) if you want luxury then probably not the place but still a very enjoyable break with my family and a great time had by all at a very low price! hope my review helps :)

Room Tip: superior family room 3505 & 3506 fantastic seaview!
16 Thank Justine Q
York, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 14, 2014

firstly iv gotta say i was very worried about staying here due to a lot of the negative reviews i had seen on trip advisor, i had even gone as far as taking extra cash incase i needed to change hotels. however on arrival my worries had vanished as soon as we stepped into the hotel we you can see its huge and well kept. the staff are some of the most friendly and helpful people i have ever encountered on my travels and they would go right out of there way to make sure you are happy. the rooms are spacious, clean and have a good controllable air con system to keep cool during the day/night. the food in the restaurant changes every night so some nights are better than others but you will always find something you will like.

YES, you do need to tip to get preferential service but come on folks 1 dinar is about 30p and that makes a world of difference to the staff so stop being so tight! you will find if you tip then your service is sped up, your drinks are stronger, and they might even throw a few rose petals etc around your bed/dinner table which is always a good thing.

as for Russians and germans etc..... so what, they are on holiday too and there actions/manners (lack of) are in no way the responsibility of the hotel. stick with other brits and you wont have a problem. or if you are really that scared of them then go to Scotland instead.

we flew with thomson airways and our rep was Malcolm, he was the best and most honest holiday rep i have ever spoken too, gave great advice about trips out and local customs etc which came in very handy. no pushy sales pitch etc just honest advice which i really appreciated.

at the end of the day its a growing country with a rich historical background and ancient culture, get out there, mix with the locals, ride a camel, see the huge roman ruins and get your hands dirty... you wont regret it :)

• Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
4 Thank Brettthebrave1989
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 14, 2014

We returned from a two week stay at the Tour Khalef yesterday. We stayed there for 10 days last summer and despite some minor gripes (food did become a little boring) decided to stay for 14 nights this time.

Our room was large, clean and had a fantastic view across the complex and sea. It really was spectacular and we were pleased that the large balcony was in shade for most of the day (it was VERY hot for the majority of our stay). The room staff were fab. Really friendly and incredibly hard working, especially considering that Ramadan started on the day we arrived and so the staff were working long hours in intense heat without either food or drink to sustain them. We did leave small tips about every other day and we were provided with beautiful red flowers on the bed and 2 bottles of water each day which were very welcome.

I'd booked a twin room as I was holidaying with my daughter, and found we'd been given a double. However, the bed was massive - never seen even a king size that large anywhere I've stayed, so we decided to keep the room. The bed was very comfy and we slept well every night.

Air conditioning in the bedroom was a bit on the fierce side, even when we turned the regulator down - I was too cold to lay on top of the bed in just shorts and a T shirt, so usually got under the covers if I wanted a rest in the day time. Not a huge complaint though - given the temperature outside, it was far better to have the room a little on the cool side than if the air-con had been less efficient.

The food in the buffet restaurant had improved quite a lot on last year, I thought. More variety and there was always something I enjoyed. The Tagines on the Tunisian theme evenings (Saturdays) were really tasty. I was a bit surprised to find pork was on the menu on a regular basis (which I don't eat) as this is a Muslim country, but maybe the hotel is catering more to European tastes. We did try the Oliveraie 'A la Carte' restaurant one night. It is NOT A la Carte, but a set menu which unfortunately, we didn't enjoy even though both my daughter and I are happy to try different foods. We left after the starters and a soup dish which was very greasy and tasted like mutton fat.

Staff throughout the hotel were friendly and helpful - and in the restaurant decorated our table with dried flower petals a couple of times which was lovely. Many members of staff remembered us from last year and greeted us like old friends.

Pool and surrounding area was always clean and tidy, with plenty of sunbeds although not always enough parasols and other guests (mainly but not only, Russians) tended to grab them early in the mornings although this isn't meant to be allowed. Swimming pool was usually colder than I'd have liked but again, the outside temperatures were so high throughout our stay that once you got used to it, the cool water was quite refreshing.

So, mostly I have positive things to say about the Tour Khalef, and for anyone on a tight budget, I'd say it's a good option.

All in all, we had a really good holiday but for anyone who's stayed there in the past and is thinking of a return visit, I'd warn that the facilities have changed (not for the better) since last year. Firstly, Thompson advertised this as being part of a complex with shared facilities including several swimming pools. There is now only one pool. We asked our holiday rep about this and were told the owners of the different hotels which were part of the complex have 'fallen out' and decided their guests cannot share facilities. There is also no longer an all inclusive bar at the beach - only a pay bar where a bottle of lager is 4 - 5 dinar, and you're not allowed to take drinks etc from the poolside bar down to the beach. Also, there used to be gates a couple of minutes' walk from the main entrance to the hotel, so you could easily walk to the local shops and phone boxes but these gates are now permanently locked. We were told this was because there had been a demonstration outside in the streets and when the police dispersed the crowd, large numbers of locals rushed into the hotel through those gates. If you want a walk to the call box now, you have to basically walk in a (fairly large) circle past other hotels. Safety is important of course and the hotel needs to put this first - but it is inconvenient.

I don't think we'll return to the Tour Khalef again because we want to try new places and feel we've seen as much of Sousse as we want to - at least for a while. A final word about 'The Russians'. I've read a lot of different views but I have to say I personally did find some of them unbearably rude and greedy. I wouldn't even mind so much if they ate all they took, but there was an enormous amount of food waste. On one occasion we saw three young Russian women pile a plate with what must have been an entire watermelon - took a bite out of one slice each and then left the piled plate on the floor! Particularly in a country where many live in poverty which far exceeds anything we see in the UK, this sort of behaviour appalls me. Chatting to a waiter one day, he acknowledged that many of the Russian guests are rude and disrespectful to staff in the hotel, but shrugged and said 'It's nearly all Russians here now' and clearly they can't afford to upset paying customers.........

Room Tip: Most rooms have at least a partial sea view, so unless your holiday would be spoilt without one, I w...
3 Thank Walker036
Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 14, 2014

This hotel is absolutely great for families, very clean and the animation team are great especially Tito, Chico, Steve and Gi Gi. My 3 year old daughter has a ball and was upset to leave and come home, she still wants to go back.
Food was good, I'm a fussy eater and I didn't starve.
I really don't know where all the negative feedback comes from.
We had a great holiday.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
3 Thank Sue J
Glasgow, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 14, 2014

We stated at the Tour Khalef as part of a Thomson all-inclusive package deal. I'm pretty easy to please (backpacking heritage!), my wife less so and she had nothing but praise for the place.

Certainly, it's clean and tidy. Very well maintained and staffed with lovely people. We never felt like we were lacking attention from any direction - bar, entertainment, cleaning, restaurant, etc. Serving staff in particular were efficient, friendly and chatty. It's lovely to have someone tell you about their children while they're doing a great job of entertaining yours.

Rooms were well outfitted, and balcony doors were secure enough that we had no concerns about our toddler sneaking out. The cot we had supplied in the room for her wasn't suitable, though, as it was damaged near the top of one side and nails used to repair it were exposed. I'm sure we could have had this sorted if we'd bothered - I saw other cots around which were virtually brand new - but we opted just to have her sleep in with us as she'd otherwise just have screamed the place down in the early hours when she couldn't get in with us anyway!

Food was great and we had no problem filling all five of our bellies from the buffet meals. My wife thoroughly enjoyed the local dishes that were available at most main meals, and the kids - less adventurous as they are - always had plenty to choose from as well. Desserts were varied and tasty including a large amount of fruit.

If I had a quibble it was that fruit juice wasn't available at dinner (only breakfast and lunch), and when it was available it really needed watering down especially before being given to our youngest.

We didn't try the traditional restaurant which is available - for one night - as part of the all-in deal as we don't think it would have suited the kids. Plus, we'd have likely spoiled the romantic atmosphere for the majority of people we saw there who were enjoying meals for two. Screaming children don't make for a peaceful dinner time!

Location is good with plenty on the streets outside as far as small shops and cafe's go, if you want to stretch you legs. However, we were there during Ramadan so these were pretty much all closed until late evening.

The beach was OK, but far too many selfish smokers had typically just dumped their butts in the sand instead of stretching 10 feet to the nearest sand-filled bin which made it unpleasant to walk on and a concern for children to play in. You could argue that the hotel should clean this up, but I'd point the blame at the idiots who litter in the first place.

Internet access is very good, extending throughout the rooms and reception areas although it could be a little flaky in the rooms at times. No arguing with the investment, though, with a wireless router/repeater above every third or fourth door as you walk along the hallways. Best of all, it's free - not even a pass key required.

Oh, my one issue with the rooms was the air conditioning - it wasn't very good and seemed to basically be "on" or "off". It also took a long time to bring the heat under control and even then didn't lower it much. I did seem to be the only one in our party of five that had an issue with this, though.

Overall, we really enjoyed it as you can probably tell. Definitely recommended.

2 Thank IainPurdie
Reviewed July 14, 2014 via mobile

Just came back from a 7night stay at this fantastic hotel. Was greeted with a very warm welcome, drinks offered as soon as we entered the hotel and the staff were so helpful and friendly. Great facilities for everybody to enjoy. The entertainment team went above and beyond to keep you entertained during the day but didn't pressurise you to join in. Food was fantastic, plenty of choice and a variety of different cultures. There was a choice to eat in the main restaurant or the pool restaurant (breakfast&lunch only).The rooms were cleaned and you got 2 litres of water everyday. The beach is lovely and cool to lay around however do be careful. During my week stay there were a number of people stung by jellyfish. People will try and sell you carpets on the beach but as long as you're firm with them they leave you alone. I do recommend that you book all trips via the rep. I booked a boat trip from a local in the hotel but I was disappointed for what was offered and for the price. Book with confidence through the rep. Malcolm our rep went above and beyond and was always there to offer help and advise. The only down fall for me was the rudeness of the Russians in the hotel. I know there culture is different to ours however basic manners don't anything. The hotel is dominated by Russians however I did meet some lovely ones. Great place if you're a couple or family.

Stayed July 2014
2 Thank Jake B
Also consider these accommodations in or near Sousse
Marhaba Beach Hotel
Seabel Alhambra Beach Golf & Spa
Seabel Alhambra Beach Golf & Spa
#3 of 33 in Port El Kantaoui
Thalassa Sousse Resort & Aquapark

Been to JAZ Tour Khalef Thalasso & Spa? Share your experiences!