“get stuck in and have an awesome holiday !!!”

JAZ Tour Khalef Thalasso & Spa
Ranked #2 of 36 Hotels in Sousse
York, United Kingdom
“get stuck in and have an awesome holiday !!!”
Reviewed July 14, 2014

firstly iv gotta say i was very worried about staying here due to a lot of the negative reviews i had seen on trip advisor, i had even gone as far as taking extra cash incase i needed to change hotels. however on arrival my worries had vanished as soon as we stepped into the hotel we you can see its huge and well kept. the staff are some of the most friendly and helpful people i have ever encountered on my travels and they would go right out of there way to make sure you are happy. the rooms are spacious, clean and have a good controllable air con system to keep cool during the day/night. the food in the restaurant changes every night so some nights are better than others but you will always find something you will like.

YES, you do need to tip to get preferential service but come on folks 1 dinar is about 30p and that makes a world of difference to the staff so stop being so tight! you will find if you tip then your service is sped up, your drinks are stronger, and they might even throw a few rose petals etc around your bed/dinner table which is always a good thing.

as for Russians and germans etc..... so what, they are on holiday too and there actions/manners (lack of) are in no way the responsibility of the hotel. stick with other brits and you wont have a problem. or if you are really that scared of them then go to Scotland instead.

we flew with thomson airways and our rep was Malcolm, he was the best and most honest holiday rep i have ever spoken too, gave great advice about trips out and local customs etc which came in very handy. no pushy sales pitch etc just honest advice which i really appreciated.

at the end of the day its a growing country with a rich historical background and ancient culture, get out there, mix with the locals, ride a camel, see the huge roman ruins and get your hands dirty... you wont regret it :)

• Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
4 Thank Brettthebrave1989

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (216)
  • Hungarian first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 14, 2014

We returned from a two week stay at the Tour Khalef yesterday. We stayed there for 10 days last summer and despite some minor gripes (food did become a little boring) decided to stay for 14 nights this time.

Our room was large, clean and had a fantastic view across the complex and sea. It really was spectacular and we were pleased that the large balcony was in shade for most of the day (it was VERY hot for the majority of our stay). The room staff were fab. Really friendly and incredibly hard working, especially considering that Ramadan started on the day we arrived and so the staff were working long hours in intense heat without either food or drink to sustain them. We did leave small tips about every other day and we were provided with beautiful red flowers on the bed and 2 bottles of water each day which were very welcome.

I'd booked a twin room as I was holidaying with my daughter, and found we'd been given a double. However, the bed was massive - never seen even a king size that large anywhere I've stayed, so we decided to keep the room. The bed was very comfy and we slept well every night.

Air conditioning in the bedroom was a bit on the fierce side, even when we turned the regulator down - I was too cold to lay on top of the bed in just shorts and a T shirt, so usually got under the covers if I wanted a rest in the day time. Not a huge complaint though - given the temperature outside, it was far better to have the room a little on the cool side than if the air-con had been less efficient.

The food in the buffet restaurant had improved quite a lot on last year, I thought. More variety and there was always something I enjoyed. The Tagines on the Tunisian theme evenings (Saturdays) were really tasty. I was a bit surprised to find pork was on the menu on a regular basis (which I don't eat) as this is a Muslim country, but maybe the hotel is catering more to European tastes. We did try the Oliveraie 'A la Carte' restaurant one night. It is NOT A la Carte, but a set menu which unfortunately, we didn't enjoy even though both my daughter and I are happy to try different foods. We left after the starters and a soup dish which was very greasy and tasted like mutton fat.

Staff throughout the hotel were friendly and helpful - and in the restaurant decorated our table with dried flower petals a couple of times which was lovely. Many members of staff remembered us from last year and greeted us like old friends.

Pool and surrounding area was always clean and tidy, with plenty of sunbeds although not always enough parasols and other guests (mainly but not only, Russians) tended to grab them early in the mornings although this isn't meant to be allowed. Swimming pool was usually colder than I'd have liked but again, the outside temperatures were so high throughout our stay that once you got used to it, the cool water was quite refreshing.

So, mostly I have positive things to say about the Tour Khalef, and for anyone on a tight budget, I'd say it's a good option.

All in all, we had a really good holiday but for anyone who's stayed there in the past and is thinking of a return visit, I'd warn that the facilities have changed (not for the better) since last year. Firstly, Thompson advertised this as being part of a complex with shared facilities including several swimming pools. There is now only one pool. We asked our holiday rep about this and were told the owners of the different hotels which were part of the complex have 'fallen out' and decided their guests cannot share facilities. There is also no longer an all inclusive bar at the beach - only a pay bar where a bottle of lager is 4 - 5 dinar, and you're not allowed to take drinks etc from the poolside bar down to the beach. Also, there used to be gates a couple of minutes' walk from the main entrance to the hotel, so you could easily walk to the local shops and phone boxes but these gates are now permanently locked. We were told this was because there had been a demonstration outside in the streets and when the police dispersed the crowd, large numbers of locals rushed into the hotel through those gates. If you want a walk to the call box now, you have to basically walk in a (fairly large) circle past other hotels. Safety is important of course and the hotel needs to put this first - but it is inconvenient.

I don't think we'll return to the Tour Khalef again because we want to try new places and feel we've seen as much of Sousse as we want to - at least for a while. A final word about 'The Russians'. I've read a lot of different views but I have to say I personally did find some of them unbearably rude and greedy. I wouldn't even mind so much if they ate all they took, but there was an enormous amount of food waste. On one occasion we saw three young Russian women pile a plate with what must have been an entire watermelon - took a bite out of one slice each and then left the piled plate on the floor! Particularly in a country where many live in poverty which far exceeds anything we see in the UK, this sort of behaviour appalls me. Chatting to a waiter one day, he acknowledged that many of the Russian guests are rude and disrespectful to staff in the hotel, but shrugged and said 'It's nearly all Russians here now' and clearly they can't afford to upset paying customers.........

Room Tip: Most rooms have at least a partial sea view, so unless your holiday would be spoilt without one, I w...
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
3 Thank Walker036
Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 14, 2014

This hotel is absolutely great for families, very clean and the animation team are great especially Tito, Chico, Steve and Gi Gi. My 3 year old daughter has a ball and was upset to leave and come home, she still wants to go back.
Food was good, I'm a fussy eater and I didn't starve.
I really don't know where all the negative feedback comes from.
We had a great holiday.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
3 Thank Sue J
Glasgow, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 14, 2014

We stated at the Tour Khalef as part of a Thomson all-inclusive package deal. I'm pretty easy to please (backpacking heritage!), my wife less so and she had nothing but praise for the place.

Certainly, it's clean and tidy. Very well maintained and staffed with lovely people. We never felt like we were lacking attention from any direction - bar, entertainment, cleaning, restaurant, etc. Serving staff in particular were efficient, friendly and chatty. It's lovely to have someone tell you about their children while they're doing a great job of entertaining yours.

Rooms were well outfitted, and balcony doors were secure enough that we had no concerns about our toddler sneaking out. The cot we had supplied in the room for her wasn't suitable, though, as it was damaged near the top of one side and nails used to repair it were exposed. I'm sure we could have had this sorted if we'd bothered - I saw other cots around which were virtually brand new - but we opted just to have her sleep in with us as she'd otherwise just have screamed the place down in the early hours when she couldn't get in with us anyway!

Food was great and we had no problem filling all five of our bellies from the buffet meals. My wife thoroughly enjoyed the local dishes that were available at most main meals, and the kids - less adventurous as they are - always had plenty to choose from as well. Desserts were varied and tasty including a large amount of fruit.

If I had a quibble it was that fruit juice wasn't available at dinner (only breakfast and lunch), and when it was available it really needed watering down especially before being given to our youngest.

We didn't try the traditional restaurant which is available - for one night - as part of the all-in deal as we don't think it would have suited the kids. Plus, we'd have likely spoiled the romantic atmosphere for the majority of people we saw there who were enjoying meals for two. Screaming children don't make for a peaceful dinner time!

Location is good with plenty on the streets outside as far as small shops and cafe's go, if you want to stretch you legs. However, we were there during Ramadan so these were pretty much all closed until late evening.

The beach was OK, but far too many selfish smokers had typically just dumped their butts in the sand instead of stretching 10 feet to the nearest sand-filled bin which made it unpleasant to walk on and a concern for children to play in. You could argue that the hotel should clean this up, but I'd point the blame at the idiots who litter in the first place.

Internet access is very good, extending throughout the rooms and reception areas although it could be a little flaky in the rooms at times. No arguing with the investment, though, with a wireless router/repeater above every third or fourth door as you walk along the hallways. Best of all, it's free - not even a pass key required.

Oh, my one issue with the rooms was the air conditioning - it wasn't very good and seemed to basically be "on" or "off". It also took a long time to bring the heat under control and even then didn't lower it much. I did seem to be the only one in our party of five that had an issue with this, though.

Overall, we really enjoyed it as you can probably tell. Definitely recommended.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
2 Thank IainPurdie
Reviewed July 14, 2014 via mobile

Just came back from a 7night stay at this fantastic hotel. Was greeted with a very warm welcome, drinks offered as soon as we entered the hotel and the staff were so helpful and friendly. Great facilities for everybody to enjoy. The entertainment team went above and beyond to keep you entertained during the day but didn't pressurise you to join in. Food was fantastic, plenty of choice and a variety of different cultures. There was a choice to eat in the main restaurant or the pool restaurant (breakfast&lunch only).The rooms were cleaned and you got 2 litres of water everyday. The beach is lovely and cool to lay around however do be careful. During my week stay there were a number of people stung by jellyfish. People will try and sell you carpets on the beach but as long as you're firm with them they leave you alone. I do recommend that you book all trips via the rep. I booked a boat trip from a local in the hotel but I was disappointed for what was offered and for the price. Book with confidence through the rep. Malcolm our rep went above and beyond and was always there to offer help and advise. The only down fall for me was the rudeness of the Russians in the hotel. I know there culture is different to ours however basic manners don't anything. The hotel is dominated by Russians however I did meet some lovely ones. Great place if you're a couple or family.

Stayed July 2014
2 Thank Jake B
Reviewed July 13, 2014

Anyone that stays here should definitely do the camel caravan exertion.. Worth the money and the guys that do it are a laugh. The best one around.. I live in sousse and always on the exertion helping out. It's worth it. Kids love it and can ride the donkeys, camels, and horse and cart. You get to see the beautiful scenery as you are chilling on the back of the camel lol! That's if you're not to scared to climb on one ;)

If anyone has any questions about anything ask away as I've stayed in this hotel many times. Nice clean hotel and staff very friendly.

• Stayed July 2014
4 Thank Chloe D
Oxford, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 13, 2014

Staying in this hotel was amazing, while looking on reviews we were quite anxious. But I don't have a clue what people found so bad.First lets get the negative things out the way - yes there are cats, but then again when you witness people feeding them out the window and staff asking them to stop you cannot complain about this! Also there are many complains about the Russians, we only had a couple of run ins, usually pushing in or a bit violent playing games, but lets be honest on holiday just have a little moan and move on! On to the good stuff... I would like to commend the amazing staff at the Tour Khalef. We had an amazing waiter who was allocated, but we also met some amazing staff who just are happy to go out their way for you! We had a great drink waiter (who makes amazing strawberry syrup pina coladas) who could not do enough for us. Just remember to tip - bearing in mind 1 dinar is about 40p why not? Secondly the animations team was great - always something to do and never got bored. We mainly opted out of the evening entertainment in preference of hanging out by the beach, but those that we did attend we great. Finally the a la carte food was great, and definately worth a try. The grounds are also amazing - plus you can get fantastic pictures with the photography team this was especially great for us because selfies get a bit old on a two week holiday. I would definately say go to this hotel. I can't wait to visit again.

Room Tip: We had sea view, and looked over the complex and the sea. It was breathtaking.
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
3 Thank RachelRoo1992
Also consider these accommodations in or near Sousse
Marhaba Beach Hotel
#3 of 33 in Port El Kantaoui
Sousse Palace
Sousse Palace
#11 of 36 in Sousse

Been to JAZ Tour Khalef Thalasso & Spa? Share your experiences!