“A large hotel, with a nice staff”

Hotel Vendome El Ksar Resort & Thalasso
Ranked #7 of 36 Hotels in Sousse
Reviewed March 10, 2014 via mobile

I went for two nights in March and it was an ok experience. The rooms were small but accommodating, no mini bar but good towels and comfy bed. I had an ocean view and was lovely.
Elevators are fast and their is a nice nightclub in hotel.

I am sure this is a great Holliday destination.

Stayed: March 2014, traveled on business
4  Thank miguelstanley
Write a ReviewReviews (1,186)

Reviewed March 9, 2014

I travelled with my friend to the El Ksar in Feb 2014 - it was our second stay at this hotel.
The room this time was much much better. The beds were large and the room was spacious with a great view of the sea and spa.

The staff at this hotel are overall friendly. Kareem the porter is great! Always greets you with a smile and kind word. Walid on reception is friendly and helpful. We used the spa facilities again at the Queen Didom spa and I have to say all the staff over there were friendly. Sassi who sells the spa packages in the hotel is not pushy and will create you a great package tailored to suit your needs.

We spent most of our time in Cafe Maure - Marwen and his staff offer a great service and they are extremely attentive. Great Shisha's too :-) This is the most authentically Tunisian place in the hotel it is where local people from Sousse come to relax and spend time with their friends.

The only thing that really lets this hotel down is the food. They need to update the menu and cater to a wider range of tastes.

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled with friends
1  Thank VirtueFor
Reviewed March 6, 2014

This was my 20 something visit in less than 5 years , its my second home The staff are amazing the hotel is constantly being upgraded and is a work in progress . I was the only British visitor there in amongst over 180 German guests but the staff made sure I was well looked after and I never felt left out The entertainment was sparse , but hey it was February and the hotel did not have a lot of guests to entertain. The food was varied and the salad bar and pastries are amazing. As I said I have visited the hotel on many occasions I prefer May and June as its not too hot and there is a better mix of nationalties then The rooms are bright and clean .....lovely maids and housekeeping staff and of course air conditioned. If you want to stay somewhere friendly and guest orientated give the El ksar a try I, m sure you wont be disapointed

Room Tip: Rooms with pool view are the best views ever ....scenery beautiful ...
  • Stayed: February 2014, traveled solo
1  Thank 555habibi
Reviewed March 1, 2014

I went here for 10 days with my brother and father and it was an amazing stay, we made many friends over the stay and the entertainment staff where amazing there were many activities for children and adults throughout the day, the evening food was very nice and there was always a different selection of food each day, I usually slept through breakfast but lunch was amazing, I usually ate on the beach area and it was lovely like dinner each day there were different food choices. On the Thursday of our stay there was a beach party which was fab! Also they served nice afternoon snacks and the wait for drinks wasn't long, the entertainment in the evening was cheesy but the entertainment staff where loveable, I would defiantly recommend it and I think we will be going back soon!

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed January 26, 2014

I stayed here with my boyfriend for a week in August.
When we got the the hotel we had to wait about two hours before we were able to check in which was a bit annoying as we were shattered from the flight and roasting.
Once finally checking in, our room was a fair size. A bit basic but perfect for us as we didn't spend much time in the room anyway.
The pool area was lovely, although getting a sun lounger was an absolute mission. Having to set an alarm for 5am on your holiday was not great. The lifeguard was lovely though and always made sure we had a good spot.
The food was really quite rubbish. Breakfast was alright (we were craving bacon or a fry up by the end of the week). All the pastries and breads were baked fresh. Lunch and dinner though was poor, we pretty much stuck to pizza and pasta all week but still managed to get a touch of deli belly.
The staff were pretty awful too. Reception staff were rude and there was never any dinar behind the desk to exchange. Although one day we were told there was no money, my boyfriend went back about 4 minutes later and managed to exchange our money! Restaurant staff look like they want to kill themselves and are so slow at setting the tables.
The animation team were lovely and always managed to get everyone involved. The night time entertainment was pretty rubbish aswell and since there's nothing near by we were pretty bored at night.
The beach is the most beautiful beach I have ever seen. We went on a jet ski which was fab and the beach was beaut to walk along at night.
The hotel is pretty much in the middle of nowhere. Locals are really quite dodgy so we were terrified to leave the resort but we enjoyed relaxing and sunbathing for the week.
Everybody expects a tip in tunisia so carry plenty of change.
Overall we enjoyed our stay but I won't be rushing back any time soon!

Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
4  Thank Fhionnagh W
Reviewed January 7, 2014

This was our first trip to Tunisia and we were looking for a relaxing time in the sun, going out on a few excursions and seeing some good evening entertainment. Unfortunately not everything went to plan.

We arrived at the hotel about 2 AM, after what seemed like an endless wait getting through passport control at the airport and a long coach journey to the hotel dropping everyone else off first, our first impression was what a great looking hotel. The hotel front and the reception looked really impressive and we looked forward to seeing our room. Unfortunately things went down hill from here.

The receptionist wasn't very helpful and I felt that they weren't expecting us. After the initial confusions we were checked in, given some vouchers for water, some vague directions to our room and told that there was food available in the restaurant if we were hungry. Wanting to check the room out and drop off our bags we decided to go there first, however we weren't sure were to go and it wasn't until a cleaner saw us trying to figure out where to go that we were shown to our room. The trip to our room was weird as we seemed to be taken down some very dark corridors and a badly lit back stairway where I started to worry. Anyway we finally got to our room and thanked the cleaner for his help.

Our room was on the ground floor with direct access to the pool area and a very short walk to the beech, ideally located. However it was very basic and compact, we could either move the bed to one side of the room to open the door to get in and out, or move it to the other side to be able to open the wardrobe doors to get our cloths. There was a TV there which we did use occasionally just for news updates, background noise, etc., while we got ready but no remote. We later found out you could get a remote but we would have to pay a deposit at reception. Not important for us but mentioned here just to show some of the pettiness we experienced with the hotel. During our week I only saw one cockroach in the bathroom but this was one too many.

Anyway after dropping our bags off at our room we made our way to the restaurant as we needed something to eat and drink. Again because of the weird layout and the darkness of the corridors it took us a while to find the restaurant. The food that was out looked horrible and seemed to have been out a while (it had as it was original put out in the buffet earlier that evening) so we just picked at the freshest looking stuff. A couple of bread rolls, a bit of meat and some cheese. We did ask some hot water to make tea from the selection of tea bags that had been put out but at first the 'waiter' ignored us, then indicated that he couldn't understand us. We eventually got some water instead although for some reason he didn't want the vouchers for vouchers. I'm not sure why we were given these vouchers as nobody wanted them.

Due to us arriving so late we didn't get up until about 9.30 and made our way to the buffet for our breakfast only to be told that that the buffest was closing and we couldn't have anything. This is despite the fact that there were others still eating and the buffet area shouldn't have closed until 10. They still turned us away and said that lunch would be served at 12.

Later we made our way back to the buffet area, which was a bit of a free-for-all and unfortunately some of the food look very poor although the pizzas and bread rolls were made freshly and severed directly from the ovens. These did prove very popular and the queue was quite long. As for the rest of the buffet a lot of it was just re-heated food severed from large metal trays from under heater lamps. it was barely OK.

Because I still had a headache I decided to head back to our room but was immediately stopped by someone wanting me to look though his brochure of excursions. Even though I tried to politely and explained that I had a headache so wasn't up going through his brochure he was extremely persistence and would not let us pass until we did. In the end I had to be quite abrupt with him to get past him. I then managed to get some sleep in our room. This excursions seller continued pestering us, and others throughout our stay and actually put us off booking anything with him.

We did actually go on some excursions but these were booked though our rep (when he decided to turn up!). The only one I would recommend is the trip to the Zoo with a traditional African meal while watching African dancers. All the others were very disappointing but I digress.

The only evening meal we enjoyed at the hotel was the one in the restaurant, which you are only allowed one during the week, but this may only be because we were comparing this to their buffets. The African meal at the zoo was by far the best meal.

To give some indication of how bad the hotel's buffet was we did go to see the Hotel's Customer Liaison toward the end of our stay to get some information about checking out and storing our baggage she immediately started apologising for the quality of the food before we had chance to ask what we wanted. They obviously get at lot of complaints about their food.

As for the other facilities at the hotel, very little information is given out about what is available. We only found out about the Jungle High Wire climbing area and archery for others staying there towards the end of our stay. The tennis courts are overgrown wee plants and trees. The gym is a complete joke with only one running machine and a rowing machine in a fairly large room. In the basement there was a small arcade area with half broken machines including an air hockey table with a broken score counter and a couple of pool tables ripped cloths and cues with missing tips. There was also a late night disco in the basement but we never seen anyone there. The evening entertainment is terrible with a singer or a singer and a guitar player on the veranda outside the main bar, which is very poorly lit, some karaoke or pathetic shows put on by their resident entertainment group. An example of one of shows they had one guy blacked up wearing a woolly wig and a grass skirt with another guy both miming to a recording of a 1950's sketch of the 'Banana-Boat Song'. You don't expect to see such blatant racism being shown as family entertainment.

The drink selection is not great and they did on a couple of occasion run out of beer. Those of a distrusting nature may thinks that this was only so they could push sales of their cocktails which you do have to pay for. Also although you're not allowed to take drinks in glass out to the pool area or on the beach, which is fair enough, (they only served these drink in very small plastic cup) if you paying for a cocktail then you can have your drink in a full size glass. Another ploy to sell more cocktails?

All in all it's not a place I would like to return to. Although it placed well for the beach and has a very nice large swimming pool, with two other smaller ones the food and entertainment let it down badly.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
3  Thank prhough
Reviewed December 30, 2013

This is our 3rd time to El Ksar and had yet another great holiday here.
Don't believe all the bad reviews on here this hotel is one of the best and to be honest it is personal preferences what some people don't like others do.
We stayed in one of the newly decorated rooms on the 1st floor which had flat screen tv which had mbc 2 (English channel with English films all day and night)
We stayed here over Christmas and the hotel made a great effort with decorations which all the animation team made themselves and took them ages well done guys :)
All staff in the hotel are very friendly and make you feel welcome and will always stop and chat to you bar staff and beach bar and especially animation team.
Animation team put on some great shows in the evenings with very funny cabaret the team have changed since we were there last only falloussa that was still there from last time who is great and always has time for a chat. Falloussa and Bruno are excellent dancers and will keep you entertained with sketch shows such as the "tutti fruiti" show :) they all do a great job and work very hard so credit to them I can't wait to return.
Beach is great security men very good and always made sure they had our sunbeds for us in the mornings and again are happy to chat.
Food in the main restaurant is ok I am a fussy eater so did stick with what I know like freshly made breads and pizza s which were lovely and of course chips.
Christmas Eve gala meal was very good cocktails in the bar before dinner and great choice of meats all carved by chefs for you.we were their last Christmas too.
Can't wait to return in the new year.

Room Tip: Rooms higher up get better sea view and get the sun most of the day.
  • Stayed: December 2013, traveled with family