“You get what you pay for”

Orient Palace Hotel
Ranked #19 of 35 Hotels in Sousse
Reviewed July 4, 2012

Just returned from this hotel and I am going to be as honest as I can about it but this is not a reflection of the staff as they were fine. Big up to Musatafa in the dining room and the cleaning lady on the 4th floor who was a real gem (sorry didn't get her name) but she always had a smile and hello for us.

The hotel itself is tired and in need of refurbishment - it is definitely not a 5 star although the opulent entrance and marble columns lead me to think that when it was first built it probably was - we were given a room on the ground floor (911) which was quite dark as the bushes outside kept out a lot of light however it was very large, clean and on the whole a nice room. I was disappointed to find that the patio door would not lock and as they could not fix it I requested a move to another room - having never been to Tunisia and staying on the ground floor I did not know whether this was safe so thought it best to move - we were then given a 4th floor room which was half the size of the previous room and very shabby although clean. Room 426 is in desperate need of some attention the light switches, plug sockets, toilet roll holder, the toilet itself, are all loose and falling off the walls there are bad repairs to tiles and grout patches everywhere on the walls, the shower although functional was very old & grouting mouldy and drab. The whole room looks sorry especially the paint and grain effect on all the woodwork, the patio furniture chairs were both broken.

On the better side the staff were very helpful and no one hangs around waiting to be tipped - any tips given were received with thanks - they charge you a deposit of 40 dinar for beach towels which is refundable on production of the original receipt at the end of your stay, the towel guy did try to tell me he couldn't find my receipt and his English became very bad, whereas he was speaking very good English all week lol he didn't get away with it as I leaned over the desk and found my own receipt !!!!!! The pool areas and beds are very nice as is the beach. Food was good got a bit monotonous but thats AI for you.

One thing that really bugged me was the bar and the stench of cigarette smoke - ok I know that they allow smoking indoors in Tunisia but surely they can have a non smoking section in the bar it's big enough - it put us off going in there. This hotel caters mainly for Russian/Polish and Eastern European guests who seemed to love the entertainment/ animation - I am not a big fan and don't take part but I was amused at how they love bingo, karaoke & follow the leader!!!!!!!!! each to their own I suppose.

In summary I would say you get what you pay for and I would probably not return to this hotel but would definitely go back to Tunisia if only for the wonderful weather.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple
4  Thank Mia44
There are newer reviews for Orient Palace Hotel

Reviewed July 3, 2012

It was around 2011 and still remember my worst holiday ever. As we got there I exchanged some money and the cashier took of me a 100 dinar, rooms are not classified as a 4* star hotel but 1*, and more than half the holiday I ended up in bed with food poisoning. More over my partner went to buy some water cause I couldn't drink tap water and they stopped him. What I said to my partner that not even dead I didn't want to stay there. Sorry but this was my experience.

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled as a couple
5  Thank Mark F
Reviewed June 16, 2012

Live in Montreal and was on a business trip
Stayed 3 weeks from May 3 to May 23 2012
Great staff, clean rooms
Some issues with WIFI but was corrected quickly
Secure parking
Grounds spectular
Close to city center and surrounding area

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled on business
10  Thank Hedi H
Reviewed May 17, 2012

We had a wonderful two weeks staying at the Orient Palace. The staff are courteous and polite. The waiters in the restaurant made me feel like a queen. The choice and quality of food was excellent especially the desserts. Our room was exceptionally clean and spacious, our chamber maid was lovely. Mario,Mamadoo,Mido are the animators. They are so friendly and we enjoyed spending time with them. They organised fun activities which enabled us to make friends with other guests. Sabri who organises the disco is such a lovely warm person, we got on really well with him. We really did have a fantastic time and would recommend this hotel to anyone who's planning a holiday in Sousse.

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled as a couple
7  Thank Deborah L
Reviewed May 14, 2012

Nice hotel, friendly staff, beautiful beach, good selection of food and drinks .. tidy room .. in short, everything you need to make guests feel comfortable. Highly recommend

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled with family
7  Thank ankh007
Reviewed March 19, 2012

If you want to relax, a good vacation, good sleep... this is hotel for you. It is only 5star hotel that I was in. It is not luxury 5star, but it is big hotel, with big rooms and bathrooms, big atrium, restaurant (great food), pool and own beach. Hotel has gym, in-door pool, bar at the beach. Although there were animators during the day and evening (I'm not a big fan of them) thay were ok. Port El Kantaui is near (nice hotel complex and town), and Medina as well (I wasn't there).
I'm fan of excursions, so you must go to desert, it's 2 day trip, with oversleep in desert oasis.

• Stayed: May 2011, traveled as a couple
8  Thank MimaRISTIC
Reviewed December 26, 2011

Bleak entrance, but very impressive foyer with large atrium, and marble flooring. We rattled around the large hotel, since there were only about 20 guests and around 400 rooms. In fact I found it rather spooky. Large bars had lights off, due to no custom, and we wandered around, looking for some entertainment...but found none. We stumbled across a room with a light on, and some holiday brochures strewn on a table, but they were all in German and out of date.
Good points- very good food, particularly when buffet. Breakfast ok, evening meal good. Staff reasonably friendly, rooms clean. Fair security at entrance.
Bad points- no English TV in rooms, no facilities for kids except indoor pool (which was quite nice). Beach- pretty disgusting, rotting seaweed piled into a huge mountain, couldn't wait to leave it. Hotel just off a main road, with nothing of interest in walking distance. Areas of interest only by local taxi. Locals- fine,rather aggressive haggling needed, but harmless. Latest trick is that the locals pretend that they work at your hotel, to get your trust/ interest and then try to get to get you to go to their friend's shop.
Obviously we were out of season, but there no facilities on site for children. All our entertainment came from our own discovery, outside of the hotel. Overall OK, but definitely NOT a 5 star. I would give it a 3 star overall.

Room Tip: rooms quiet, we overlooked car park. Slept well although beds very hard. Very quiet, could have hear...
  • Stayed: December 2011, traveled with family