“Great Value for Money”

Ranked #19 of 35 Hotels in Sousse
London, United Kingdom
“Great Value for Money”
Reviewed January 3, 2011

Well, as a solo traveller, I'm not looking for anything romantic, rather somewhere clean and safe to stay. Hotel Kaiser did the job.

I'll start with the one problem, when I arrived the plughole in the bath was clogged up with hair, so I scooped it out, left it in the bath and the cleaning staff got the message as the bath was cleaned the next day. The bed was made every day with clean linen, there was tv with a few English channels and the bathroom was cleaned every day. My room was at the back of the hotel, so not much of a view, but it was quiet and felt safe. Breakfast was basic (tea, coffee, hard boiled eggs, yoghurts, melon etc.) but at these prices (£7pppn with Holiday Hypermarket), it was what I expected. I didn't eat there in the evening as it's much cheaper and more exciting to eat in town.

I had booked a pick-up from the airport but I realised that actually it's much cheaper to get the metro train, which drops you in town, about 15 minutes walk from the hotel.

The hotel pool is small and wherever you sit you'll get sun for half of the day (i.e. either get there early for the morning sun, or after lunch for the afternoon sun, you can't have both!).

I went in the second week of September, so no school kids. The hotel seemed quiet although the breakfast room was busy each morning.

I would definitely be happy to go to the Hotel Kaiser again.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled solo
1 Thank HongKong02

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (33)
  • Czech first
  • Finnish first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
London
Reviewed November 30, 2010

I am an early thirties female traveller. My room was a room with two single beds and a balcony facing the town/city of Sousse.
The shower was clean and the cleaners very friendly and regular.
The breakfast was very basic but a plentiful buffett.
The surrounding area a basic resort, 5 minutes away from the beach which was clear sea water and beautiful sand. and it was still hot around 28-30 degrees.
Its good for women who want to show discretion in the beach as the Muslim females are dressed when entering the water so you dont feel self conscious if you don't swim semi naked.
The Kaiser staff are friendly and they had half price beauty treatments as well.
Overall, a very basic hotel but I would definately go there with friends.

Also, the two day trip to the Sahara was incredible.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled solo
1 Thank Nobler761
england
Reviewed October 21, 2010

whent to this hotel its wa ok but watch the staff the young one that works in down stair snack bar he only after ladys money so bewere

• Stayed July 2010, traveled solo
Barnsley, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 20, 2010

arrived lunchtime no porter service changed rooms three times before we found a clean one no entertainment in hotel food ok but very repetative and not a lot of choice the pool not very big and was on a main road so lots of traffic noise the rear rooms had sun all day and no air con so was very hot day and nightbar and lounge always full of locals and they were given preferential service and made us feel uncomfortable as they did nothing but stare we were constantly accosted by the salesman for using the spa and massage facilities there were ladies of the night frequently in the lounge every evening not a hotel i would use again

• Stayed October 2010, traveled with friends
1 Thank suziknevil

Travelers are raving about these Sousse hotels

Ayr, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 18, 2010

stayed at the kaiser for a wk..... oct 2010,yhis hotel is nothing short of a muck hole full of gays and ladys of the night...it is filthy, towels dirty rooms a rat wouldnt sleep in i never ate there once food disgusting,staff not helpful in any way seem to think there doing you a favour although there were2 that were the xception very nice... sorry folks cant see how any1 would say this hotel is basic but clean only redeeming factor is its close to there beautiful beach....so folks please take it from me avoid at all costs you have been warned lol christina...

• Stayed October 2010, traveled with friends
2 Thank donnan22
Nottingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 15, 2010

not a hotel for families or couples, ok if you want to pick up a man, I was approached on more than one occasion by several different local men and I was with my partner. Prostitution is rife in this hotel and all under the owners nose who seems to approve. The hotel is basic but clean and the staff are very friendly, breakfasts were very nice. The only problem is whats going on there, not something you want to witness when you are trying to enjoy your holiday, we felt compelled to stay out as much as possible. Also popular with single women who pick up a local man and pay to have him stay in their rooms. Give this hotel a wide berth ! YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED !

• Stayed September 2010, traveled as a couple
2 Thank elainewatt4
Leeds
Reviewed October 13, 2010

This is one of your basic 3* hotels but I'd read some pretty good reviews of the Kaiser and was reasonably sure we would be OK, but it was much better than I had expected.

We eventually got through Passport Control at Monastir (nightmare - don't ask!) and after a lot of searching found our coach to Sousse. It had taken so long for the whole procedure- and I'd left my bottle of water on the plane so I was uncomfortably hot and thirsty - that I wasn't in the best mood when we arrived at the Kaiser. However, we found friendly welcoming faces at reception, and quickly got to our room which was a bit bigger than expected. It had a small balcony and a tiny, oddly-shaped bathroom with the shower tucked into a dark corner. There were examples of the local tiles everywhere - completely covering the bathroom walls and ceiling, and the "dressing table". There were no drawers at all but a tiled shelf which spanned the whole of one wall on either side of the "dressing table" (made, I think, of breeze block in a very simple construction and covered with tiles) and I think we were supposed to put our bits and pieces on that so we did.

The maid was still cleaning but seemed happy for us to come in and drop our bags. Language wasn't easy as she didn't seem to speak either English or French but sign language sufficed. This lady came in every day, cleaned the room and changed all the linen. The top sheet was always arranged in a fan shape or such, and one day we even discovered that she had sprinkled the sheets and pillows with red rose petals!

The hotel has a decent sized pool and a good number of loungers so a few people spent their time there although the beach is not far and is very clean. There is a bar and a mini market where you can buy the basics including the all important water (which cost 1 tnd - about 44p - a large bottle). We had a very pleasant lunch in the restaurant one day although I would say this was more for families with young children who like pizzas and such. Breakfast on the 5th floor was basic continental style with bread, butter, yoghurt, cooked meats, cheeses, hard boiled eggs and a sort of fruit puree a bit like jam which hasn't been boiled enough to make it set although it's thick enough to spread. Nice. I've read some complaints from guests who thought the breakfast was boring but this is fairly standard choice for the region.

The hotel has a hamam in the basement, and can provide all sorts of treatments. They haven't been open for long so it's still a bit rough around the edges although I had some great lymphatic drainage massage to help with swollen ankles, which was so good that I booked a second block of 3 treatments. As in a lot of Middle Eastern countries it's possible to haggle for the best price, and I got mine even lower when I booked a series of shaves for my husband.

We would happily return to the Kaiser - once they get the new airport open and we don't have to go through Monastir which is a hellhole.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled as a couple