“Basic but very friendly and clean!”
Review of Kaiser Hotel

Kaiser Hotel
Ranked #16 of 35 Hotels in Sousse
Reviewed January 11, 2009

This was my fourth time in Tunisia and booking a hotel for £50 half board for the week ment I knew what I was letting myself in for. The hotel was better than I expected! The staff were all fantastic and very helpful and friendly. I only had breakfast in the hotel and it was very basic but more than enough. The rooms were nicely furnished, cleaned every day and towels changed daily. My only complaint would be the building work that was going on with one side of the hotel being renovated but it was out of season so they have to do it some time. There was a bit of noise but after a day or so I hardly noticed it! And it was nothing compared to the noise from other building work going on round and about.

A special word is needed for Kais! He does a fantastic full body massage! And was very polite and helpful whenever I needed anything.

• Stayed: January 2009, traveled solo
2  Thank Sadielouise1
There are newer reviews for Kaiser Hotel

Reviewed January 4, 2009

very cheap holiday friendly and helpful staff basic food nice clean room good to use as a base would go back

jill and kym
England

• Stayed: October 2008
1  Thank sillyjillyUk
Reviewed December 19, 2008

We spent a week at this hotel in December. For the price we paid it was excellent value, the staff were all efficient, helpful and friendly and we liked the overall atmosphere. The reception staff were lovely, especially Faisal who organised our Sahara trip, changed money, offered us a choice of rooms etc.

The hotel bar and restaurant are open to non-residents and attract a large number of locals, especially on a Saturday night and this was much more interesting then being with a lot of other europeans (no offence intended to other europeans!!) The evening waiters were good fun and told us about the only Tunisian dish on the menu: Oja el bey, which I would highly recommend, it's tomato based with green peppers, shrimp or 'merguez' (sausage), two softly poached eggs and a spicy seasoning - delicious with local bread to mop up the juices, we liked it so much we had it three times. If you show an interest you may get some local 'meze' style dishes, on our last night we were brought (without asking) chilli/red pepper in oil (harissa, I think); a beautifully dressed lettuce heart with strips of other salad topped with a tomato 'rose' and a plate of local olives, oh and a candle!! A lovely accompaniment to our main courses. At the end of the meal we were brought a plate of local clementines. We also ordered a half bottle of local wine and the whole bill came to the equivalent of £12.50 for the two of us!!!!!!

It would be nice to see some more local dishes on the menu, some are available if you order them the day before, such as couscous but we didn't find this out until almost the end of our stay. The pizzas are also good, freshly cooked with lots of topping and a thin crispy base but we found our grilled chicken and Turkey very dry, probably reheated, and served with the usual chips and salad.

We stayed on a bed and breakfast basis, which I would recommend, although the breakfast is a bit boring there is plenty of it.

At this time of year it's dark by 5.30 so some days we ate a late lunch in or near the Medina rather than go out in the evening- don't go to the Kasbah, the food was cold and inedible, the lamb kebab was a joke, all fat and bone, served with grated carrot and large dollops of disgusting mayonaise and ketchup, my cappucino was almost cold and it took 15 minutes to bring it back warm. In the fish / fruit and veg market is a lovely bakery stall with lots of local breads, the local pomegranates are delicious and the stall holder will cut them open if you ask/demonstrate what you want, sometimes there is a man outside with a cake stall, we bought 2 muffin type cakes for approx. 25p (for 2) and to one side of this is a little shop selling olives and cheese, we took our little picnic (total cost - less than £1.50) down to the seafront and ate it on a bench in the sun while watching the boats, bliss!

ONE WORD OF WARNING, be very wary of people approaching you in the street, some want to give you English coins / euros and ask for dinars in exchange, at a very bad exhange rate and will try to confuse you about how much you've given them. Some want to be your 'guide', others will say they work at your hotel (they don't) and offer you a 'free' trip to see carpet making, some will become aggressive if you go with them and don't buy anything, two elderly Canadian ladies we met had the shop doorway blocked by their 'guide' to prevent them leaving (one of these ladies is 85 years old). On the other hand we accepted the help of a guide, a grey haired man of about 65 with a limp, he showed us around the Medina and gave us lots of useful tips about local culture and how to deal with the more 'enthusiastic' locals who wanted us to buy goods, we gave him 10 dinar for an hour of his time. I found you have to make instant judgements about people, don't be afraid to say no and walk away, it's not rude, just the way things are, dark glasses are useful as people can't 'read' you so well.

Say 'Shoukran' - Thank you, and 'Bis lema' - good bye, and you will often be rewarded with a warm smile, Tusisia is very different from England, accept that and enjoy the difference.

• Stayed: December 2008, traveled as a couple
2  Thank holidayjunkyy
Reviewed October 26, 2008

first of all you pays your money you takes your choice,
We enjoyed our holiday, only two days not so sunny and quite windy. Sahara camel trip definately the thing to do, but be prepared for two days travelling, seeing a few sights on the way.
rough cost for two £200 sterling but well worth it.
HOTEL ( bed and breakfast)
basic rooms but adequate, same goes for washroom/shower facilities( avoid rooms 108,109,208,209 you are directly above the pizzariera balcony and for some strange reason any noise reverberates to such a degree that if you open your balcony door the street noise etc is less!!!) (it never ceases to amaze me how many people cannot shut a door by turning the handle and pulling it too instead of just slamming it, I can guarantee that 10 nights out of 14 you will be woken up with doors slamming,) ask for a change, we did and they were happy to move us to the rear of the hotel with sunshine all day if needed but you do not go on holiday to sit in your room all day)
hotel toilets filthy, staff were very friendly, breakfast ok if you like hardboiled eggs!!.
THE AREA
5 minute walk from the beach, turn right out of the hotel walk straight down over the roundabout, past the english pub at the Ryhad Palms Hotel on your left hand side, 200 metres, the main road curves to the right onto a long beach front promenade, there is a large set of steps. You will see on the beach, just to your right, 4 blue/white striped shacks/sheds the second one of these has Kaiser hotel written on it, avoid at all costs, NO TOILET FACILITES, The guy who runs that little fenced off stretch will smarm all over you and leave an oil slick in his wake!! sunbeds there will cost you 2.5 dinars each for the day and the drinks and food are sold at inflated prices and the hot food will take up to 3 hours to arrive. The guy (mr smarm) seems to have an ad hoc arrangement with the beach sellers, some days they are in favour and he lets them into the area some days they are not in favour, one more word of warning DO NOT buy cigarettes from the beach sellers as they are not genuine.
RECOMMENDED BEACH AREA
The best area on the beach we found was to go down the steps and turn left walk along the beach about 200 - 300 metres you will see on your left the hotel Marabout, looks all inclusive but see the man with a bald head, (lovely guy, he returned a sarong to me which I had left on the beach the previous day) he will rent you sunbeds for 2 dinars per day and on part of this area there is a cafe selling hot and cold food and drinks, and also toilet and beach shower facilities. The guy does not allow beach sellers onto the area.

ENGLISH PUB AT THE RYHAD PALMS HOTEL
nice friendly atmosphere, nice pizzariera, if you pop in for a drink make friends with Mohamed the waiter (little guy with black wiry hair, and Mohamed the doorman , the stocky guy ,both very nice friendly people)

GENERAL AREA
within a quarter hour walk of the hotel, all the hotels we found you could walk into and buy a drink and eat without booking, all the menus virtually the same and not a lot of difference in quality, which was pretty good.

Local people in general were friendly, but usually they just want your business. A good warning we were given was not to trust the people on the street only people directly involved with a business. LAST WORD OF CAUTION, DO NOT CARRY HANDBAGS ON VIEW, DO NOT TAKE ONE OUT WITH YOU OR CONCEAL IT, I HAD MY HANDBAG SNATCHED ON OUR 2ND NIGHT THERE, ON THE MAIN ROAD APPROX 50 YARDS FROM HOTEL BY TWO SNEAKY YOUTHS WHO CAME UP FROM BEHIND. you will spend half a day at the police station trying to explain what happened and then when you get home filling in your insurance claim, AND KEEP ALL YOUR RECEIPTS FOR MONEY CHANGING ETC.,

If we were to recommend any changes in that hotel, our priority would be self closing doors
enjoy your holiday we did.

• Stayed: October 2008, traveled with family
3  Thank pnc47
Reviewed October 19, 2008

lots of greetings to this hotel´s spa-displayer-guys (kaise and his workmate : ) )!

maybe we will take a trip again in sousse to get a african braids in kaiser´s salon and a nice massage... ;)

- visitors from finland -

• Stayed: October 2008, traveled with family
Reviewed October 9, 2008

I returned from Tunisia yesterday , and to be frank I cant imagine that I was staying in the same hotel as the previous reviewer . I found the hotel Kaiser above average for the type of hotel in its class. The accommodation was exelent , comfortable , clean and well maintained . I personally chose to stay in a room at the rear of the hotel , where the balcony got the sun all day , granted no sea view , but also no sence of the street in front of the hotel . I was on the fourth floor , and found no restriction to the fire escape at the end of the corridor.
This is not a large hotel, which again is my personal preferance , and its family owned. The pool reflects the hotels size , and the sunbathing area is also relitivly small , but to be honest when Sousse posesses such a good beach which is straight down the street , less than ten mins , who would want to get involved in politics of towels on the sun loungers !
I stayed on a bed and breakfast basis , and sure the choice of breakfast was was limited , but what was on offer was quite acceptable .
The reception and bar area has a nice personal feel and the staff were all very accommodating and friendly . The bar, which serves coffee as well a limited range of alcohol is used by a small number of local people on a daily basis , but this I feel adds to the overall experience of the holiday and offers the oppertunity to get to know local people. The hotel also has a "haman"(turkish bath ) plus massage and health suite in the basement , and i would seriously recomend the two hour treatment .
The hotels small restaurant has a limited menu, but again is acceptable , but within ten mins walk there are a number of very nice restuarants which i found very good , and reasonably priced .
Overall I would recomend the Hotel Kaiser which for a 2/3 star rating is in my view above average .

• Stayed: October 2008, traveled solo
1  Thank leith49
Reviewed October 2, 2008

may I firstly begin by saying anyone concidering the Kaiser Hotel for even a weekend break, to concider highly again. Dont get me wrong, there are some nice hotels in and around Sousse well worth trying, but if its your first trip and you are staying at the Kaiser Hotel, I can assure you it will put you off going to Tunisia for a very long time, even on a budget. We stayed half board for 1 week [ and a very long week that was], rooms cold on so called sea view side, pool area nondescript, bar area more for locals than tourists, toilets a disgrace, beds hard and uncomfortable, our Rep,[I THINK WE HAD ONE] did not show, even for welcome meeting[some welcome], as for the meals, don,t get me started, quickly though, breakfast, boileded eggs, boiled eggs, boiled eggs, boi-,sorry but you get the picture, evening meals buffet style with chips, chips, chips, chi-, sorry, Im at it again. God help you if you were ever caught up in a major fire there,, our fire escape was blocked off by old unwanted wooden doors. Reception area not bad though. We even had to go to the hotel opposite,, The Tej Marhaba, [stay there instead] to change money over, beech about 10 minutes walk away, that is if you are up for some sun bathing after barking dogs and banging doors and the odd domestic has had you up till 4a.m. All in all, do not waste your hard earned money, save for extra month and go to Dreams Beach down the road in Hammam Sousse.

• Stayed: September 2008, traveled as a couple