“Well Above Average !”

Ranked #20 of 35 Hotels in Sousse
edinburgh
“Well Above Average !”
Reviewed October 9, 2008

I returned from Tunisia yesterday , and to be frank I cant imagine that I was staying in the same hotel as the previous reviewer . I found the hotel Kaiser above average for the type of hotel in its class. The accommodation was exelent , comfortable , clean and well maintained . I personally chose to stay in a room at the rear of the hotel , where the balcony got the sun all day , granted no sea view , but also no sence of the street in front of the hotel . I was on the fourth floor , and found no restriction to the fire escape at the end of the corridor.
This is not a large hotel, which again is my personal preferance , and its family owned. The pool reflects the hotels size , and the sunbathing area is also relitivly small , but to be honest when Sousse posesses such a good beach which is straight down the street , less than ten mins , who would want to get involved in politics of towels on the sun loungers !
I stayed on a bed and breakfast basis , and sure the choice of breakfast was was limited , but what was on offer was quite acceptable .
The reception and bar area has a nice personal feel and the staff were all very accommodating and friendly . The bar, which serves coffee as well a limited range of alcohol is used by a small number of local people on a daily basis , but this I feel adds to the overall experience of the holiday and offers the oppertunity to get to know local people. The hotel also has a "haman"(turkish bath ) plus massage and health suite in the basement , and i would seriously recomend the two hour treatment .
The hotels small restaurant has a limited menu, but again is acceptable , but within ten mins walk there are a number of very nice restuarants which i found very good , and reasonably priced .
Overall I would recomend the Hotel Kaiser which for a 2/3 star rating is in my view above average .

• Liked — the overall friendly atmosphere
  • Disliked — nothing really
  • Stayed October 2008, traveled solo
1 Thank leith49

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (33)
  • Czech first
  • Finnish first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
chester
Reviewed October 2, 2008

may I firstly begin by saying anyone concidering the Kaiser Hotel for even a weekend break, to concider highly again. Dont get me wrong, there are some nice hotels in and around Sousse well worth trying, but if its your first trip and you are staying at the Kaiser Hotel, I can assure you it will put you off going to Tunisia for a very long time, even on a budget. We stayed half board for 1 week [ and a very long week that was], rooms cold on so called sea view side, pool area nondescript, bar area more for locals than tourists, toilets a disgrace, beds hard and uncomfortable, our Rep,[I THINK WE HAD ONE] did not show, even for welcome meeting[some welcome], as for the meals, don,t get me started, quickly though, breakfast, boileded eggs, boiled eggs, boiled eggs, boi-,sorry but you get the picture, evening meals buffet style with chips, chips, chips, chi-, sorry, Im at it again. God help you if you were ever caught up in a major fire there,, our fire escape was blocked off by old unwanted wooden doors. Reception area not bad though. We even had to go to the hotel opposite,, The Tej Marhaba, [stay there instead] to change money over, beech about 10 minutes walk away, that is if you are up for some sun bathing after barking dogs and banging doors and the odd domestic has had you up till 4a.m. All in all, do not waste your hard earned money, save for extra month and go to Dreams Beach down the road in Hammam Sousse.

• Liked — making 2 very good friends likeminded on hotel
  • Disliked — the package in general
  • Stayed September 2008, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk

Travelers are raving about these Sousse hotels

hampshire
Reviewed May 14, 2008

Arrived back from Sousse yesterday. Stayed at the Kaiser which on the whole was not to bad. they have improved their bathrooms new tiling etc.must say that the water power is really fantastic and there is always plenty of hot water. The beds all have new matresses which were rather firm for my liking. The food was a little boring and after a few days I decided to give the restaurant a miss ( no traditional Tunisian food on the menu). The staff however are incerdablly nice and very friendly. The rooms are cleaned daily. Most of the staff have worked at the Kaiser for years. The owner a a dear little Tunisian man who wears only traditional dress is often in the hotel. He always has a beaming smile on his face and is very friendly. I think it is a really nice little hotel and I got the impression that my fellow guests were very happy staying there.

• Liked — Friendly staff
  • Disliked — No traditional food on Menu
  • Stayed May 2008, traveled as a couple
1 Thank trablis
UK
Reviewed May 14, 2008

Hello,

The hotel was nice.We did not expected too much as we paid low price.The room was ok but it could have been bigger(new TV but no remote control).In basically,the room was ok.
We had a problem with the night receptionist who was not nice at all.Most of them time he ignored us or threw our room key to us which was little but hurting.
We have stayed in a lot of hotels in Tunisia but we are sure we are not going back to this hotel again till that man works there.

• Stayed May 2008
England
Reviewed May 12, 2008

You know when you pull up to a Hotel and everyone looks at each other and there thinking " I feel sorry for the ones who are staying here"! Then your names called out! Its one of those Hotels.
You knew the Hotel was clean by the over powering smell of Bleach which hit you.The first thing my girlfriend said when we got to our room was " can you get that cockroach out of the bathroom please" After 2 days on the 2nd floor I asked for a move and we were put on the 6th floor and what a difference you couldnt here any of the grinding which started at 07:00 in the morning. The room was more updated as well and had a TV which you could get CNN and CNN and CNN and Tunisian channels which is OK if you speak Tunisian. The beds are hard and the sheets changed each day.

Breakfast was pritty bland. Boiled eggs, tomatoes with onions,bread,yoghurt and cereal but no milk. Tea ,coffe and juice.
Evening meal was ok. Tomatoes with onions and other salads and a hot meal which was OK to be honest, I went for 2nds on 2 days.

The pool we only used once because it was so small and is easily over crowded. You cannot get any sun after 15:30 as the sun goes round the building so your in the shade.

The beach is a 10 min walk and the staff were very good and very helpful.

Would I go back to this Hotel, no I wouldnt. We knew it wasnt going to be great and we were on a budget and knew by the reports on here what to expect.

• Liked — The front door when we left
  • Disliked — The rooms on the 2nd floor.
  • Stayed May 2008, traveled as a couple
1 Thank meandy1
London UK
Reviewed September 16, 2007

Have just come back from a 2 week stay at the Kaiser. For a 2 star hotel this was excellent, yes have stayed in some of the 5 star hotels and they were beautiful but I didnt pay for a 5 star!. The food was good (what do you want for such a low price), the staff were excellent. My first day there I didnt like my room and was moved immediately. I had a lovely clean very large room. I would recommend this hotel if you are on a budget, if you want luxery then be willing to pay another £500 minimum! This was my friends first visit to Tunisia and she was happy with the hotel. I read one review about crossing the road outside the Kaiser and how it was scarey, believe me ALL the roads are like that if you stay in 2 or 5 star hotel, that is just the way it is in Tunisia
Jeanette + Elaine

• Liked — Cleanliness and working A/C
  • Disliked — Nothing to complain about
  • Stayed September 2007, traveled with friends
16 Thank ankleswife
Warszawa
Reviewed September 6, 2007

Above average for 2 star hotel, very clean, bathroom not nice but practical, NO INSECTS, new colour TV ( Samsung) - but no remote, working A/C!!! new furnitures - room 608, balcony with city panorama better than the room from street. Rooms from 2nd to 6th floor from the city side have balcony.
Breakfast - "juice", tea, coffee, yogurth, butter, eggs, chees, tomatos, fruits.
We borrow fridge but was broken - not to cold.

• Liked — Not far from beach and city center
  • Stayed September 2007, traveled as a couple